Quitting Smoking and Dieting Support

Options

Replies

• craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    if anybody is on quitnet.com for quitting smoking, you should join our "weight loss challange", and if you're not on quitnet.com, you should check it out =)

http://forums.quitnet.com/aspBanjo/Message_View.asp?conference_id=10&forum_id=46&Message_ID=16047709#16047709

Time Smoke-Free: 10 days, 11 hours, 34 minutes and 40 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 73

Lifetime Saved: 13 hours

Money Saved: $35.00
  • krb731
    krb731 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just checking in. Sounds like there have been some good and bad days recently. Guess what! That was also the case when you were smoking. Don't give in to that craving. Everyday you don't smoke the monster gets weaker. There will be days (within the first month) when it seems like all you can think about is a smoke. It won't always be the case and you can make it through those moments. After a while the cravings will get weaker and shorter.

Helpful hint: Coffee straws! For you cold turkey folks this really helped me out. I would cut a straw in half (because I think it is really counrty and unlady like to have a straw hanging out of your mouth) and chew for about 10-15 minutes. I don't know why, but this worked much better than gum.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Helpful hint: Coffee straws! For you cold turkey folks this really helped me out. I would cut a straw in half (because I think it is really counrty and unlady like to have a straw hanging out of your mouth) and chew for about 10-15 minutes. I don't know why, but this worked much better than gum.

:laugh: I used \wendy's, McDonalds straws. Cut them in 3. They were very close in size of a cigarette.
    I tell yah, for the first week, I was taking out my frustrations on that straw.
    Before I would chew on it, I used to inhale through it. Sounds weird, but try it.
    Oral fixation. smoke that straw, and blow out that smokeless air.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I just say this thread and want to congratulate everyone that made it's so far, and give hope to everyone just starting out or having a rough time.

I smoked for over 25 years and thought I would never be able to quit. Now I have done it three times lol!! This time I have made it 5 months and 12.5 days so far :)

Some things that have helped me or that I have learned:

- Get out and do stuff...the worst times for me were the sitting around the house times. Go for a walk, go to the mall, go to a movie, go for a drive. Anything to alleviate the boredom that makes a space for cravings to come in.

-Don't worry about your weight. I had to make a decision that quitting smoking was THE most important thing for my health, and remind myself of that every week when I'd weigh in to no loss or even a gain. I didn't start losing weight until my 3rd month of diet and exercise.

-If you do smoke, just remind yourself that you're still not a smoker anymore, you're a nonsmoker who just had a cigarette. If you buy a pack, throw it out. Just because you spend money on bleach doesn't mean you should drink it.

The most important thing is that you CAN do this. If I can quit, ANYONE can! Good luck!!!
  • krb731
    Options

:laugh: I used \wendy's, McDonalds straws. Cut them in 3. They were very close in size of a cigarette.
    I tell yah, for the first week, I was taking out my frustrations on that straw.
    Before I would chew on it, I used to inhale through it. Sounds weird, but try it.
    Oral fixation. smoke that straw, and blow out that smokeless air.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yes, I smoked the straw LOL!
  • cbrimas
    cbrimas Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Congrats and best wishes to all on this quit/lose journey! I smoked for almost 14 years, about 12-15 cigarettes a day. I quit cold turkey and am now 88 days smoke free! I still get the urge at times but there are many days when I don't think about smoking at all! I love the Quit It Pro app for iPhones but there are tons of apps for all phones and computer programs for your pc. It's very motivating to see how much money I'm saving and the number of days/minutes/hours since my last smoke.

I agree with others in that I can't have even one puff or I would give in---and why would I want to start my counter all over again? Let's put these cigarette companies out of business and save our lives!! Good luck to all!! We can do it!!
  • craft338
    Options
    Time Smoke-Free: 11 days, 7 hours, 39 minutes and 4 seconds  

I lost 2 lbs since I quit =)
  • JanW01
    JanW01 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

-Don't worry about your weight. I had to make a decision that quitting smoking was THE most important thing for my health, and remind myself of that every week when I'd weigh in to no loss or even a gain. I didn't start losing weight until my 3rd month of diet and exercise.

I am glad to see this. Day 6 smoke free for me and I have gained 6 lbs!!!!! The air was a mighty blue this morning with all the swearing I was doing on the scale.:angry::grumble: :huh: I have been eating more than usual to help stop the nausea from the Champix. This has got to stop!
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am getting ready to quit I really want to it scares me, I freak out! I have patches ready, lozenges an dthe e-cig something has to help right! I have been smoking for 20 years that is a long time considering I am only 35.. My worst time is in the morning and before bed and of course when a major stessor hits. My mom is also quitting and I am going to visit her in 4 weeks. I am thinking I can but down al ot ove r the next 4 weeks (first goal cut out smoke breaks at work) then when I get on the airplane that is it!
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options

I am glad to see this. Day 6 smoke free for me and I have gained 6 lbs!!!!! The air was a mighty blue this morning with all the swearing I was doing on the scale.:angry::grumble: :huh: I have been eating more than usual to help stop the nausea from the Champix. This has got to stop!

This may be too much info but quitting smoking slows your metabolism becasue the nicotine is a stimulant and it also tends to make people constipated for a while which can lead to what I can fake weight gain while your body is figuring out how to live withoutt he chemicals. As long as you keep exercising and watching what you eat I am sure it will go back down... Severla years ago I quit for a long time I gained weight initally then dropped 20 pounds!
  • craft338
    Options
    Time Smoke-Free: 11 days, 11 hours, 14 minutes and 42 seconds

i just wanted to let you guys know i found these "warming" cough drops...they're apple cinnamon flavor or something, and they're kind of amazing. and they're really WARMING!!! they're fun. they get me through short car rides to the store n stuff.
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    amfeary, I have to say that the patches have really helped me. Especially since I can't cheat because I'm afraid of a nicotine overdose (read about it- pretty scary!)

I am curious what effects are from the cigarettes and what are from the nicotine? I am still getting 21 mg of nicotine into my body per day, but my heart rate has slowed down, am constipated, have not gained much weight (waiting til wednesday to weigh in again) and am still irritable now and then.
  • JanW01
    Options

This may be too much info but quitting smoking slows your metabolism becasue the nicotine is a stimulant and it also tends to make people constipated for a while which can lead to what I can fake weight gain while your body is figuring out how to live withoutt he chemicals. As long as you keep exercising and watching what you eat I am sure it will go back down... Severla years ago I quit for a long time I gained weight initally then dropped 20 pounds!

Oh boy have I been constipated! I thought it was the Champix I am taking. I have a lot of nausea too but I am putting up with it until I have this under control.
  • craft338
    Options
    i wish i could poo =(

otherwise, it's going great, i hardly use the e-cig anymore, so i'm just gonna get the zero nicotine ones.

how long does it take for cigarettes to smell bad? yesterday i was at a party and i kept smelling it. i plugged my nose like a big dork, and i was fine. but it smelled really good :frown:

i had my first "reach down to grab a cigarette" moment in the car before i remembered I DON'T SMOKE ANYMORE and i really didn't like it. i got my e-cig out instead, but it was a really weird feeling.

does anyone else who's like 2 weeks in see differences in their moods? i feel a little bipolar. my good moods are really good. i'm laughing a lot and more cheerful, but then my temper gets set off so much easier. lol, it could just be something totally NON related to smoking, but it's just something i noticed.

hope everyone is having a good day =)

Time Smoke-Free: 12 days, 9 hours, 29 minutes and 28 seconds
  • thumper44
    Options
    how long does it take for cigarettes to smell bad? yesterday i was at a party and i kept smelling it. i plugged my nose like a big dork, and i was fine. but it smelled really good :frown:
    I don't remember exactly, but I'd say at least the 1 month mark,.

How is your smell and taste? Improving?
  • krb731
    Options
    i wish i could poo =(

otherwise, it's going great, i hardly use the e-cig anymore, so i'm just gonna get the zero nicotine ones.

i had my first "reach down to grab a cigarette" moment in the car before i remembered I DON'T SMOKE ANYMORE and i really didn't like it. i got my e-cig out instead, but it was a really weird feeling.

does anyone else who's like 2 weeks in see differences in their moods? i feel a little bipolar. my good moods are really good. i'm laughing a lot and more cheerful, but then my temper gets set off so much easier. lol, it could just be something totally NON related to smoking, but it's just something i noticed.

hope everyone is having a good day =)

Time Smoke-Free: 12 days, 9 hours, 29 minutes and 28 seconds

I'm so happy to hear how well you're doing. This thread is great. Here are a few things that may help you out.

Constipation cures - Prunes, oatmeal, stay active and water. This was the hardest part for me. I pride myself on being regular LOL.

The smoking smell - I have never liked the smell of smoke, but it got crazy nasty about a month after I stopped.

Mood Swings - They are going to happen. Try to catch yourself before you snap on someone. Smile, walk away and take a few deep breaths.
  • JanW01
    Options
    Smoke-Free: 6 days, 15 hours, 22 minutes and 51 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 133

Lifetime Saved: 1 day

Today is rough for some reason. I am eating a lot of sunflower seeds and drinking a lot of water.
  • thumper44
    Options
    My name is Peter, and I am a nicotine addict.
    I have stopped nicotine for 3 months, 1 day, 17 hours, 54 minutes and 19 seconds (90 days).

I've not smoked 2269 death sticks, and saved $819.77.
    I've saved 17 days, 7 hours and 55 minutes of my life.

Woo hooo - Last time I quit ooooooh 10 years ago or so, I went 3 months and started back. I am not going back this time.
    Goodbye my nasty smelly disgusting expensive friend!! :laugh:
  • craft338
    Options
    Time Smoke-Free: 13 days, 9 hours, 29 minutes and 46 seconds
    Cigarettes NOT smoked: 94
    Lifetime Saved: 17 hours
    Money Saved: $45.50

ohh, i'm almost at 100 cigarettes NOT smoked! wow, that's awesome! =) and i thought i was a LIGHT smoker! there's nothing "light" about smoking 100 cigarettes in 2 weeks.

i smell everything, which sucks cuz my smell was always above average even when smoking. now i keep sniffing stuff and am like "i think this milk is bad" or "the dog needs a bath!" and everyone is getting really annoyed lol. everything tastes good too, which isn't that wonderful cuz i want seconds of everything :)

i'm still congested, and i don't know if it's just the leftovers from that crazy cold i had, or if it's the "quitter's flu" everyone keeps talking about. i'm really excited to get some work outs in to see if i can breath any better, but for now i'm still just walking and using the stationary bike. I WANT A TREADMILL!! lol =)

cravings are WAY down, but i still get this "sad" feeling when i want to smoke. it's weird. it's like that feeling that a single person gets when they see a cute couple holding hands lmao...that's the only thing i can compare it to. omg i'm a dork :embarassed:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I took Chantix (US version) too and had the same problem. I ended up reducing my dosage..got a little pill cutter and I only took 1/4 pills during the day then 1/2 pill before bed. It helped a lot and I still was able to quit.

My first month back at MFP I was doing a boot camp 3x week PLUS the couch to 5k program and I still gained weight. But I still got healthier and stronger :) Think of it as an investment for the future days when your metabolism will come back to life.