Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• fellowtraveler87
    fellowtraveler87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Confession: My views on religion and spirituality are vastly different from those of my parents and what they raised me to believe. My family has no idea who I really am in many ways.

I'm a chronic people pleaser and confrontation avoider. It has caused me a lot of unhappiness over the years as you can imagine. Only recently became aware of it and am really trying to break the habit.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm a chronic people pleaser and confrontation avoider. It has caused me a lot of unhappiness over the years as you can imagine. Only recently became aware of it and am really trying to break the habit.

Yep, me too. Like my mom, I always put others' needs and wants before my own, even with something as simple as, "What do you want for dinner?" I will let someone else have their choice over mine just so they're happy.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Confession: My views on religion and spirituality are vastly different from those of my parents and what they raised me to believe. My family has no idea who I really am in many ways.

Same here! I was disowned by my family when I left their religion. They just started talking to me again recently and they really do not know me at all. I'm attempting, but their judgement just isn't something I can dismiss easily.

But, I'm the opposite. My mantra is:confront, resolve, and move on. They are slowly learning this about me. It's a work in progress. You can do it! Once you do the weight that is lifted off your shoulders is immense!
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's 3:50PM where I am and I've been up since 2:30A so I'm feeling a little wretch! So this is a B! list... I hate that I sit next to two loud chronic complainers - STFU! I hate that this site is loaded with unhealthy advertisements - Velvetta - shut it down! I stop for coffee every morning at the same place - refill $1- keep telling them I don't need a receipt, STOP save a tree limb! It bothers me that people have lost weight over the years where I work and I always make an effort to compliment them or at least take notice - I've lost 35 friggin' lbs - CRICKETS - you jealous *kitten*. Where are all the good Catholic corporate owners - I want Good Friday off! I've a tennis match this evening and I'm in just the right mood to knock some heads - whew, I feel better now. And since I feel better now, here's something positive... I've been running everyday for a couple of months - was out-of-town and unable to run a few days, until yesterday. Totally forgot what it's like to run on fresh legs.
  • cheezels83
    cheezels83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bethnewey wrote: »
    When I feel like binging I smell the vegemite jar, Its so disgusting it makes me feel sick and then I dont feel like binging anymore (for about 10 minutes, this method sucks but i still do it lol)
    Yummy!!!!!! As a kiwi bought up on vegemite on toast I even have jars in my cupboards now that I live in Sweden. A a a a a a arghhhh delicious. If I smelled it I would have to make toast :p
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options

I can relate, except it's my in-laws. Our politics and religious views are totally different. I feel like they hang it over my head and things must be 'this way or that way' because I don't see things how they do. Basically they're fairly extreme in their views, I'm not.
  • bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    bkhamill wrote: »
    Talkradio wrote: »
    Talkradio wrote: »
    Confession:

I think I may have shin splints. But it's killing me to think I need to take a rest from C25K. Once I set my mind on something, I dont want to stop. I don't want to feel like a failure.
    But at the same time, I don't want to cause further damage or pain.
    What to do?!

Definitely take a break! I guarantee you will hurt yourself worse if you keep going (I know this from experience).

Take a couple days off and do something high stretching, low impact. You aren't a failure!

I'm going to take a break. It just kills me that I just started it (tomorrow would be day 3 of week 1) and now I have to take a break.
    Thanks

I understand. I epically bombed out of c25k a few years ago because I kept progressing when I wasn't ready and blew out my bad knee. Better to go slowly and finish it eventually then damaging yourself.

I got shin splints because my shoes weren't right for me. Maybe going to a reputable running store an assessment will help alleviate the problem.

I gave myself chronic tendonitis in my knee from over training for a half marathon. I'm now lucky if I can run a mile without my knee bugging me a bit. I wear a brace and keep my time/speed/distance low now.

Confession: Despite all the training for races...I just don't like running.

I don't like running either and I am doing a 10K on the 12th... I am planning to speed walk the entire thing.

How long will it take you to speed walk a 10K? Just curious to see what times other people can do it in. I've said this many times on these boards, but I do not run. At all. I speed walk, I do high-incline intervals and I do the elliptical for cardio and I have no trouble staying in shape. Running is great if you like it, but if not, no need to force yourself.

Besides, I have a neck and an ankle issue so running and jogging in the past have always resulted in pain. No thanks!

I'm hoping to finish in about an hour and a half - my PR for 10K training is 15:03 per mile pace - all walking.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

Same here! I was disowned by my family when I left their religion. They just started talking to me again recently and they really do not know me at all. I'm attempting, but their judgement just isn't something I can dismiss easily.

But, I'm the opposite. My mantra is:confront, resolve, and move on. They are slowly learning this about me. It's a work in progress. You can do it! Once you do the weight that is lifted off your shoulders is immense!

I also left the family religion. My family thankfully didn't disown me, and eventually left it too! (hint: it's the one with the award-winning musical)
  • fellowtraveler87
    fellowtraveler87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

That's the mantra I'm seeking! So hard not to fall back into old established patterns of behavior - and not just this but anything - diet, addictions, relationships, etc.

Coming to terms with myself and beliefs has already been very liberating. I haven't had to face the confrontation with family yet since I've been living 1,000 miles away from them for the past two years. I've kind of brushed it off whenever such topics come up.

Anyway, thank you for the encouragement! It will be a big step when for me when I'm not afraid to just be honest and be myself with EVERYONE - not just a bunch of strangers on the internet. lol
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »

I can relate, except it's my in-laws. Our politics and religious views are totally different. I feel like they hang it over my head and things must be 'this way or that way' because I don't see things how they do. Basically they're fairly extreme in their views, I'm not.

Heh. Both my parents & my in-laws.

When they get a buzz on & start wanting to talk politics, (like our Middle Eastern strategy, for example), I'll whisper to my wife ("time to drop a bomb"), and say something like "Pops, we haven't "won" a "war" since WWII!" or "Well, too bad we don't have time machines." That usually allows us to go home for the rest of the evening.

...and yes, I use "air quotes" when I say it!

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    xMrBunglex wrote: »

Heh. Both my parents & my in-laws.

When they get a buzz on & start wanting to talk politics, (like our Middle Eastern strategy, for example), I'll whisper to my wife ("time to drop a bomb"), and say something like "Pops, we haven't "won" a "war" since WWII!" or "Well, too bad we don't have time machines." That usually allows us to go home for the rest of the evening.

...and yes, I use "air quotes" when I say it!
    Because of a couple tiffs, I don't see my in-laws much at all these days (keeps me sane) but man, the tension all the time when certain topics came up. I always felt like I should have been in an interrogation room and I picture myself sweating under the hot lights. LOL
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Confession: I am seriously socially awkward. When people go in for a hug I freeze because I don't know how to react, also I really don't want to hug people. This behavior carries over onto the internet. I have noticed the people who commented upon my previous comments with sympathy, but I don't know how to express my thanks for that in a direct response (I'm afraid this is the best you're going to get). I just hope that you know I do appreciate it. Also, I may be drunk and that is why I can post this in the first place. :*
  • sporttabasco
    sporttabasco Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I set up my husband's MFP and showed him as sedentary so he would not have as many calories to consume as if I had put that he was active. I didn't think that he would be as accountable as he has become, and now I cannot make the adjustment to show that he is active. On a positive note, I think that he is finally losing weight.
  • bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »
    Confession: I am seriously socially awkward. When people go in for a hug I freeze because I don't know how to react, also I really don't want to hug people. This behavior carries over onto the internet. I have noticed the people who commented upon my previous comments with sympathy, but I don't know how to express my thanks for that in a direct response (I'm afraid this is the best you're going to get). I just hope that you know I do appreciate it. Also, I may be drunk and that is why I can post this in the first place. :*

Your name is now Raj Koothrappali! (Any Big Bang fans here?)
  • fitfatty88
    fitfatty88 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Got back from a business trip that had me out of the office the past 48 hours...spent the first 3 hours back at my desk catching up with this thread.

Yesterday was my one year MFP-versary but I'm scared for my weigh in tomorrow because of how much drinking/eating my group did on this trip.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

For me it's only a few inlaws, and the rest of us just smile and nod. I'm very much live and let live, as long as they're not trying to indoctrinate my son, and so far, they respect that boundary.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I set up my husband's MFP and showed him as sedentary so he would not have as many calories to consume as if I had put that he was active. I didn't think that he would be as accountable as he has become, and now I cannot make the adjustment to show that he is active. On a positive note, I think that he is finally losing weight.

After many years of never saying anything about my husband's weight, I lost my temper one night and told him I didn't dare to ask him to mow the lawn because he would probably have a heart attack and die, then I would be screwed with the kids and a mortgage. He has never said anything to me about it, but he has been exercising and trying to make better food choices ever since.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    I'm getting back into running after an injury and have been doing jog/walk intervals - the jog part never stops until a car passes me, though. Can't be seen to be whimping out and walking, nosirree :D

Hey, now, walking is NOT a wimpy workout! I'm a speed / incline walker. I can't jog or run due to an ankle and neck issue. Just giving you a bad time! Whatever keeps you out there and active, go for it!
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    In the past, I've eaten an entire jar of White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter. It's my drug of choice. Literally.

My store was out (said some was supposed to be on the delivery truck scheduled to arrive the next day), I couldn't wait, so I drove to 3 other stores in town with no luck, then drove 45 minutes to the next store that carried it!

I've never heard of this stuff before now and certainly haven't seen it in any stores... but of course now I'm going to be on the hunt for it, probably my next trip to the US.

I see BZAH10 has put up a new shoulder/arm avatar to taunt inspire and motivate me. Lol. I'm glad she posts so often in this thread so I get to see my Dream Shoulder regularly. :)

Hahaha! Thanks for noticing! I only posted a new picture because I was really white and pale in my other picture. Been outside recently and have a bit of color, so I thought I'd update it.

I've been toying with the idea of posting my own shoulder pic just for laughs (which will be totally meaningless to anyone outside of this thread) but it would definitely out-pale your old one as we're on our fifth month of winter here... snowing outside as I type.

I get confused when people change their avatar lol. Someone had your llama pic in a Facebook group I'm in, and I was like "you can't use that picture! That's @ythannah! ".

In other news, we're supposed to get a bit of snow tomorrow too.

Lol! That's what I get for putting up a pic poached from the net.

And if I'm not mistaken, somebody recently changed her avatar from a masked purple-haired girl to a very pretty brunette...

Thanks... The picture is actually a year and a half old, but I haven't changed much lol

It is a great picture of you!

And snow? Where do you live? I live in South Carolina and it is 76 here today.

Northern -ish Alberta. It's supposed to be +16 today (about 60F), then we might get a couple centimetres of snow tomorrow. The weather changes quickly here lol

Where in AB... I am in Edmonton

I grew up 95% in and around Edmonton and my folks and sisters (plus brothers in law and 2 nieces and 3 nephews) all still live in the area. Watching the Oilers on Center Ice right now.
    It's too bad there isn't much to watch 5-1 Anaheim... here is my shocked face :o (stupid never ending rebuild...)

McTavish needs to go, ffs. He is the common thread here.

Though they are playing better under Nelson, last night was just ugly.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Confession: I hate when someone on "my side" in an argument is irrational and/or uninformed, and from that point on, no point anyone makes matters, because everyone acts like their points are the only ones anyone makes.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    I'm getting back into running after an injury and have been doing jog/walk intervals - the jog part never stops until a car passes me, though. Can't be seen to be whimping out and walking, nosirree :D

Hey, now, walking is NOT a wimpy workout! I'm a speed / incline walker. I can't jog or run due to an ankle and neck issue. Just giving you a bad time! Whatever keeps you out there and active, go for it!
    In the past, I've eaten an entire jar of White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter. It's my drug of choice. Literally.

My store was out (said some was supposed to be on the delivery truck scheduled to arrive the next day), I couldn't wait, so I drove to 3 other stores in town with no luck, then drove 45 minutes to the next store that carried it!

I've never heard of this stuff before now and certainly haven't seen it in any stores... but of course now I'm going to be on the hunt for it, probably my next trip to the US.

I see BZAH10 has put up a new shoulder/arm avatar to taunt inspire and motivate me. Lol. I'm glad she posts so often in this thread so I get to see my Dream Shoulder regularly. :)

Hahaha! Thanks for noticing! I only posted a new picture because I was really white and pale in my other picture. Been outside recently and have a bit of color, so I thought I'd update it.

I've been toying with the idea of posting my own shoulder pic just for laughs (which will be totally meaningless to anyone outside of this thread) but it would definitely out-pale your old one as we're on our fifth month of winter here... snowing outside as I type.

I get confused when people change their avatar lol. Someone had your llama pic in a Facebook group I'm in, and I was like "you can't use that picture! That's @ythannah! ".

In other news, we're supposed to get a bit of snow tomorrow too.

Lol! That's what I get for putting up a pic poached from the net.

And if I'm not mistaken, somebody recently changed her avatar from a masked purple-haired girl to a very pretty brunette...

Thanks... The picture is actually a year and a half old, but I haven't changed much lol

It is a great picture of you!

And snow? Where do you live? I live in South Carolina and it is 76 here today.

Northern -ish Alberta. It's supposed to be +16 today (about 60F), then we might get a couple centimetres of snow tomorrow. The weather changes quickly here lol

Where in AB... I am in Edmonton

I grew up 95% in and around Edmonton and my folks and sisters (plus brothers in law and 2 nieces and 3 nephews) all still live in the area. Watching the Oilers on Center Ice right now.

Admitting that you actually watch the Oilers play hockey is a condession, indeed!

It's like self-flagellation, since I live out of market, we actually pay for the Center Ice package every season (my husband is a Caps fan, we don't live in that market either).