EATING CLEAN VERSUS EATING LESS

Options

Replies

• kryztoval
    kryztoval Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Now I have to wait 1 month to see the results!!! Why didn't I stumble on this thread 45 days after it started? I am so impatient.
  • kryztoval
    kryztoval Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I didn't read all 6 pages. Just the first couple.

If you are going to do this right, you are going to have to figure out your TDEE the real way. Not some calculator on the internet. Otherwise the test doesn't prove anything. For the first 4 months, I lost well over what I should have been losing eating "processed junk". The reason being is that I hadn't really figured out my TDEE. I just used calculators/estimates.

Now, if you have already done that in the few month prior, disregard.

Could you be so kind and post a link, or enlighten us as to how to calculate the TDEE? Because I go basal and then add the calories I burn by activity measuring. It has worked ok so far. But I would like to know your method and give it a try. (This is OUR thread so I am not hijacking it)
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    eating junk burns muscle? since when?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    kryztoval wrote: »

If you are going to do this right, you are going to have to figure out your TDEE the real way. Not some calculator on the internet. Otherwise the test doesn't prove anything. For the first 4 months, I lost well over what I should have been losing eating "processed junk". The reason being is that I hadn't really figured out my TDEE. I just used calculators/estimates.

Could you be so kind and post a link, or enlighten us as to how to calculate the TDEE? Because I go basal and then add the calories I burn by activity measuring. It has worked ok so far. But I would like to know your method and give it a try. (This is OUR thread so I am not hijacking it)

Here is the site you can use and that this experiment should use.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    eating junk burns muscle? since when?

I definitely missed the memo on that. I always have a small amount of what the OP would consider junk and I've been successfully recomping for quite some time.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I've only made it through two pages and I feel like beating my head against the wall. This person is obviously trying to get a rise out of the MFP community. Let him/her do the stupid expirment and be done with it.
  • christopherlee147
    christopherlee147 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

TDEE is best calculated by eating a given number of calories over a set number of weeks. You can use an online calculator to give you an estimate, let's say 2800. You eat 2800cal/day for x number of weeks... if your weight doesn't change, you are at your TDEE, if your weight goes up try removing 100cal from your daily intake and give it a few more weeks. If your weight goes down add 100cal. Do this until you find the number of calories you have to eat that doesn't make your weight change. That is your true TDEE.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've only made it through two pages and I feel like beating my head against the wall. This person is obviously trying to get a rise out of the MFP community. Let him/her do the stupid expirment and be done with it.

Some would ask why this gives you this reaction?
  • annied1961
    Options
    Maybe it's time for you to join Plenty of Fish.
    You need a better hobby.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    It appears someone missed April Fool's Day.

oops.gif
  • ana3067
    Options
    This will be interesting and perhaps helpful to some...I don't understand why some people feel the need to be so negative.

Because OP is not a fracking special snowflake. If MFP told her to eat 1300 calories that means her estimated maintenance is around 2300 calories. Therefore a tiny deficit of 100 calories unless she also plans to burn maybe another 200 every day to create a 300 calorie deficit. Which will NOT yield 2lb/weel losses but more like .6-7lb/week losses.

Although if she is saying that her TDEE (which I'm assuming she procured from another website, since MFP doesnt' give you your TDEE but only your neat maintenance needs) is LOWER than what it would hypothetically be per the MFP calculations, and she will be eating ABOVE her MAINTENANCE needs, that means she will not lose weight.

Eating 2200 calories of carrots won't make someone lose weight just because carrots.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I think it will be helpful to some, when it falsifies the OP's hypothesis.

Actually, TBH I think that those who already believe "eating clean" has magical powers are very unlikely to be persuaded by any data or evidence.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hold on, I thought you weren't doing processed. Protein shakes is about as processed as you get. A McDonalds burger has more real food in it than a protein shake.
    Oh no please do not assume anything.... I mean greens, natural chi seeds, garbanzo beans, and maybe some pineapple.... a protein shake is a skake with protien, lol...

Processed is like orange juice

You really ARE trolling, aren't you?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Actually, TBH I think that those who already believe "eating clean" has magical powers are very unlikely to be persuaded by any data or evidence.

They haven't so far...why would that change now...
  • ana3067
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Here is the site you can use and that this experiment should use.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Or even just like.. you know... MFP itself which would have given this person (and everyone who signs up) their caloric deficit to which they would add exercise calories :/

I never understand how people sign up for this website and are stumped as to how htey should figure out how much to eat loll.
  • ana3067
    Options

I'm sure they will come in saying she has a metabolic condition, thus her maintenance is actually really low.

OH, also, can I just lol @ the fact that beans are provided as her protein source in like, every post? Instead of, oh, idk... meat, poultry, and fish?

Trololol
  • ana3067
    Options
    BTW, I skimmed the whole thread. Did OP ever state how much she expects to lose on this "diet plan"? Like, does she expect to lose 8lbs/month? Or 0.0001lbs/month?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I'm sure they will come in saying she has a metabolic condition, thus her maintenance is actually really low.

OH, also, can I just lol @ the fact that beans are provided as her protein source in like, every post? Instead of, oh, idk... meat, poultry, and fish?

Trololol

They'll also probably claim that she wasn't really eating "clean" because something she ate wasn't on their personal list of "clean" items. I've been told that frozen vegetables aren't clean, that no grains are clean, that oil isn't clean. It's completely subjective.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    BTW, I skimmed the whole thread. Did OP ever state how much she expects to lose on this "diet plan"? Like, does she expect to lose 8lbs/month? Or 0.0001lbs/month?

It's funny that you'd guess 8 lbs per month because that's what she said.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Well, I for one look forward to the results of an n=1 non-blinded experiment conducted by someone with no science background and a vested interest in the outcome. I really feel that this will add greatly to the collective knowledge of humanity.

This