How to make regular cheerios taste good?

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    If I eat red meat for 5 days straight, will it correct this? How much of it would I have to eat?
    That was something to ask your medical dream team.

In general, I would say no. That you need to eat a proper well rounded diet that includes high iron meat on a daily basis indefinitely if you're *THAT* anemic for an unknown reason.

(because a normal menstrual cycle, as you claim to have, shouldn't leave you anemic)

Does being a vegetarian except for the occasional hotdog and occasional ham/turkey sandwich cause anemia? The RDA for iron is 100%. This is what you have to have a day to maintain your iron levels. If you don't, your body pulls from your ferritin stores to get what it needs. For years I didn't get 100% a day. At one point I was getting about 50% a day. This is the result of that.

I would keep eating red meat after 5 days. I just meant would I start feeling better and able to breathe again? And someone please tell me what it is about red meat and not ground turkey meat cause the iron percentages are similar so I don't get it.

Sorry but you're trolling at this point. So now you can't beeath? I though a few pages back you said you had no deficiencies.

I haven't been able to breathe for a while. I said I have no deficiencies EXCEPT for iron. Please go back and reread it.
    Inability to breathe properly would not be caused by low iron. Shortness of breath, yes. Inability to breath, no.

Go take an iron supplement. You are literally like 5 bucks away from solving your problem.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    If I eat red meat for 5 days straight, will it correct this? How much of it would I have to eat?

In general, I would say no. That you need to eat a proper well rounded diet that includes high iron meat on a daily basis indefinitely if you're *THAT* anemic for an unknown reason.

(because a normal menstrual cycle, as you claim to have, shouldn't leave you anemic)

Does being a vegetarian except for the occasional hotdog and occasional ham/turkey sandwich cause anemia? The RDA for iron is 100%. This is what you have to have a day to maintain your iron levels. If you don't, your body pulls from your ferritin stores to get what it needs. For years I didn't get 100% a day. At one point I was getting about 50% a day. This is the result of that.

I would keep eating red meat after 5 days. I just meant would I start feeling better and able to breathe again? And someone please tell me what it is about red meat and not ground turkey meat cause the iron percentages are similar so I don't get it.

Oh my, now I agree this MUST be a troll.

The RDA for a woman of your age bracket is 18Mg per day, not 100% per day. 100% would be your 18mg.

Also yes, most well read vegetarians who are careful with their nutrition get their iron through plants. There is a list of those 12 or so pages back that I quoted for you. If you are as deficient as you claim to be, that probably won't cut it. You'll need more to get your levels up and keep them level.

ETA: If you're a "Vegetarian" who occasionally eats a hot dog or turkey... you're not a vegetarian.

Remember, the OP doesn't understand mg only percentages. You know, the person with such bad anemia that she can't breath properly, for years, doesn't understand mg.

I do understand mg. If they used mg on food labels, I would use that. But they don't. They use percentages so it's much easier to calculate.

Then take a supplement instead that tells you how many mg you need.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    And the definition of a vegetarian is someone who eats little to no meat products. I ate little meat at the time so that still made me a vegetarian.

No, it really isn't.
    Webster's Dictionary....
    vegetarian
    [vej-i-tair-ee-uh n]
    Spell Syllables
    Examples Word Origin
    noun
    a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Inability to breath is probably caused by your anxiety. Did you know that an iron deficiency can make anxiety worse?

I think you're caught in a catch 22.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    gaga-cheerios.gif

You're acting like eating red meat is such a chore...like apparently everything else that might be good for your anemia.

And no. It won't "correct it", as anemia is not a one-cure condition. You'll have to continue eating red meat regularly. Have a tissue.

It's not a chore. I just have a fear of food poisoning and I get scared of red meat. I worded that wrong though. I meant like would I start feeling better?

So now you are afraid of red meat? But you have been asking about red meat. Oh brother.
    OP, people have been trying to give you good advice, but you don't want to hear it if it doesn't mean you can eat cereal for all your iron needs. Honestly, if your anemia is that bad, you should prioritize your health over your aversion to pills/supplements. A little discomfort from taking a pill seems like a small price to pay for improved health and well-being. If 13 pages of responses hasn't proven it already, there's not some magic remedy to your problem, and you're either going to have to eat a *kitten* load of Cheerios or suck it up and do something out of your comfort zone to correct the deficiency.

Although that seems logical and I should prioritize my health, anxiety is illogical and doesn't work that way. If I were to be able to get the Flintstones down, I would freak out. I would pace the room and flail my hands and be trying desperately to get the taste out of my mouth. I'd probably freak out for 30 minutes to an hour and hopefully not stress so much that I'd throw it up. That's why I haven't taken the supplement.

This Can't Be Real

It is. People who don't have anxiety don't understand it.

Actually I have suffered from Anxiety. And I dealt with it. Like you should do and not make excuses.

I asked you a question, did you try and Google for iron rich foods?

I already have an appointment scheduled with a therapist who was recommended to me by my doctor. It's 2 months away. I've visited a couple therapists in the past who weren't any help. One of them said my anxiety was so bad, therapy wouldn't work for me. I can't go through this for 2 more months. My iron is too low and needs to get up now.

And yes I have googled iron rich foods. It doesn't tell me much. I need a diet of what to eat every day to achieve 200-250% and/or correct this anemia.

So when the therapist told you your anxiety was too bad for therapy, did they give you a prescription?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    OP, people have been trying to give you good advice, but you don't want to hear it if it doesn't mean you can eat cereal for all your iron needs. Honestly, if your anemia is that bad, you should prioritize your health over your aversion to pills/supplements. A little discomfort from taking a pill seems like a small price to pay for improved health and well-being. If 13 pages of responses hasn't proven it already, there's not some magic remedy to your problem, and you're either going to have to eat a *kitten* load of Cheerios or suck it up and do something out of your comfort zone to correct the deficiency.

Although that seems logical and I should prioritize my health, anxiety is illogical and doesn't work that way. If I were to be able to get the Flintstones down, I would freak out. I would pace the room and flail my hands and be trying desperately to get the taste out of my mouth. I'd probably freak out for 30 minutes to an hour and hopefully not stress so much that I'd throw it up. That's why I haven't taken the supplement.

This Can't Be Real

I don't think anxiety is what you have. You completely believe every loony thing you've ever heard about homeopathy and thyroid problems and black teeth (oh and periods and food poisoning), and completely ignore every thoughtful, well-reasoned *factual* suggestion. That's just plain old deliberate, stubborn ignorance.

Or, Level 20+ trolling.

I do have anxiety, I've been diagnosed. And I certainly don't need you diagnosing me. I had 2 doctors tell me about the teeth staining and my orthodontist has seen it before. Not to mention, it's on several websites on google. Whatever. I'm done with this.

Until next time you start a thread completely overcomplicating a very simple issue. A second (third? fourth? eightyth?) getting some anti-anxiety meds and taking a damn supplement.

• MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    gaga-cheerios.gif

You're acting like eating red meat is such a chore...like apparently everything else that might be good for your anemia.

And no. It won't "correct it", as anemia is not a one-cure condition. You'll have to continue eating red meat regularly. Have a tissue.

It's not a chore. I just have a fear of food poisoning and I get scared of red meat. I worded that wrong though. I meant like would I start feeling better?

So now you are afraid of red meat? But you have been asking about red meat. Oh brother.

This Can't Be Real

Actually I have suffered from Anxiety. And I dealt with it. Like you should do and not make excuses.

I already have an appointment scheduled with a therapist who was recommended to me by my doctor. It's 2 months away. I've visited a couple therapists in the past who weren't any help. One of them said my anxiety was so bad, therapy wouldn't work for me. I can't go through this for 2 more months. My iron is too low and needs to get up now.

And yes I have googled iron rich foods. It doesn't tell me much. I need a diet of what to eat every day to achieve 200-250% and/or correct this anemia.

So when the therapist told you your anxiety was too bad for therapy, did they give you a prescription?

You silly person. HOw was she supposed to take her medication?

All those guaranteed side effects and then there's the big problem of swallowing the pill....
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Sorry but you're trolling at this point. So now you can't beeath? I though a few pages back you said you had no deficiencies.

I haven't been able to breathe for a while. I said I have no deficiencies EXCEPT for iron. Please go back and reread it.
    Inability to breathe properly would not be caused by low iron. Shortness of breath, yes. Inability to breath, no.

Go take an iron supplement. You are literally like 5 bucks away from solving your problem.

OP, you really don't have a lot of options. An iron supplement is your best bet in addition to more iron rich foods. You shouldn't be choosing between the two until you levels are better. I was very anemic when I was in my late teens and not a fan of pills. I took the pill because it didn't make sense to impact my lifestyle because I didn't want too. But I also had to eat iron rich foods too. Hide it in your ice cream or something.
  • marissafit06
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

OP, you really don't have a lot of options. An iron supplement is your best bet in addition to more iron rich foods. You shouldn't be choosing between the two until you levels are better. I was very anemic when I was in my late teens and not a fan of pills. I took the pill because it didn't make sense to impact my lifestyle because I didn't want too. But I also had to eat iron rich foods too. Hide it in your ice cream or something.
  • marissafit06
    Options
    spatone-range3.gif
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    gaga-cheerios.gif

This Can't Be Real

You silly person. HOw was she supposed to take her medication?

All those guaranteed side effects and then there's the big problem of swallowing the pill....

Maybe they make a honey nut Cheerio flavored anxiety medicine
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    gaga-cheerios.gif

This Can't Be Real

Let me guess... he said therapy ALONE wouldn't work for you, and recommended medication in addition to it.

And you refused.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    I do have to say, this is my new favorite thread now that we are past Easter. Tell me OP, how do you feel about hard boiled eggs and the MMA?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    spatone-range3.gif

I recommended this to OP two months ago and she refused to try it. I love spatone.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Oh my, now I agree this MUST be a troll.

The RDA for a woman of your age bracket is 18Mg per day, not 100% per day. 100% would be your 18mg.

Also yes, most well read vegetarians who are careful with their nutrition get their iron through plants. There is a list of those 12 or so pages back that I quoted for you. If you are as deficient as you claim to be, that probably won't cut it. You'll need more to get your levels up and keep them level.

ETA: If you're a "Vegetarian" who occasionally eats a hot dog or turkey... you're not a vegetarian.

I am not trolling and I'm not gonna say it again. Like I said asked and answered. If it comes up again, I'm just gonna ignore it.

100% is the same thing as 18mg. I don't get your point. And the reason I prefer to calculate percentages is it says percentages on all food labels. I don't wanna have to calculate 25% for example over to mg.

I was a vegetarian who did not get my iron other ways though. For several years I did not get enough iron in my diet. And the definition of a vegetarian is someone who eats little to no meat products. I ate little meat at the time so that still made me a vegetarian.

No, vegetarians don't eat meat. Full stop.

• pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    gaga-cheerios.gif

This Can't Be Real

Let me guess... he said therapy ALONE wouldn't work for you, and recommended medication in addition to it.

And you refused.

bingo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.