Vegan hate

Options
horrorghoul
horrorghoul Posts: 59 Member
Why do people get so mad when they find out that I am vegan? Like they get really mad and tell me that people were meant to eat meat. My being vegan only comes out if I am having to order food.

Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    people are terrible thats why
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Who cares what people think? What you think is what matters. Tell them to mind their own bloody business.
  • stixypix
    stixypix Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It only matters if you are pushing your diet on them
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I only get mad at vegans if they start telling me I can't eat meat. Otherwise - woo, more for me!
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Why do people get so mad when they find out that I am vegan? Like they get really mad and tell me that people were meant to eat meat. My being vegan only comes out if I am having to order food.
    #1 rule of Vegan's - Never discuss Vegan-ism with non vegans. :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    They get really mad?
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    We see the world, not as it is, but as we are.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I could see people getting mad or frustrated if they felt like a vegan was trying to push their beliefs on them or preaching about it. That's super annoying.
    But if you just mention that you are a vegan and leave the conversation at that , they shouldn't get mad.
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've had mixed reactions on me being vegetarian. After five years, you learn to live and let live. I don't bring it up, or discuss it with people unless they ask, and even then, I keep it short. My diet isn't up for debate, and I don't bother to talk about it unless important.

Also, when they get mad, something along the lines of, "Enjoy it if you wish, but it's not my for me, personally." normally works well to diffuse situations. My best friend is eats primal and is convinced that veganism is the greatest sin against humanity, and we get along just fine, because we bond over our mutual love for vegetables. ;)
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,818 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    They get really mad?

Yes! When I was a vegetarian and people found out (not that I ran around announcing it), I would get all kinds of BS from people. I was not one to talk about it much, I made this change for me and me alone so I always found it odd that others were so vocal about this. My former boss would actually ask me what I ate for dinner and would then tell me how God made animals to be consumed. Dude, MYOB!

• stixypix
    Options
    The worst is a vegan who likes to point out all the vegan foods that you should eat
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    id tell you the actual reason why

but i dont feel like inciting attacks from carnivores right now

maybe later when i feel sassier ;)
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I love vegans! They taste delicious with ketchup!
    I'm totally kidding. I've never eaten a vegan.
    Well, I did eat cow......but they eat bugs!
  • WKenL
    WKenL Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Salembambi's not wrong ...

There are people who believe that if you have an opinion, you must resent their other opinion. So they get proactively defensive. And so they assume that you're pushy, even though I'm sure you're not. I've never actually met a pushy vegetarian or Vegan. But I know a lot of my fellow omnivores who assume that you all are out to convert us with your anti-meat mind powers or something.

People suck, I'm afraid.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Personally I am to cows what Voldamort is to Harry Potter (yeah.. it's the best I could come up with lol)..

That said, one of my best friends is a vegan and I have never thought any less of her for it!

It can also be how you put yourself across to others (not you personally, just in general), putting carnivor-ism, vegan-ism, etc across to others in a way that implies it is the only way of life that should be followed is guaranteed to get negative responses.. simply talking about your choices in life though, there is no reason for anybody to insult you for it!
  • WKenL
    WKenL Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    stixypix wrote: »
    The worst is a vegan who likes to point out all the vegan foods that you should eat

Actually, I find that tremendously helpful. I've cut nearly 1000 calories per day with improved nutrition by getting information from Vegan/vegetarian sites and friends. I haven't made the switch and don't think I ever will, but there's a lot of great information out there.

• stixypix
    Options
    I'm all in favor of helpful tips about eating better, but I have a couple of vegan friends who look down their noses at me when I eat turkey or chicken. I ate vegan for a month, I really missed chicken. But I never criticize them for being vegan.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Back in my vegetarian days people made such a big deal out of not eating meat, especially bacon. I never understood it either.

How sick do you get of people asking you where you get you protein and iron from?
  • JAGrogan
    JAGrogan Posts: 14 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    Who cares what people think? What you think is what matters. Tell them to mind their own bloody business.

It's mainly because vegans are strongly associated with the extreme left politically and well, the extreme-left's behavior can seem rather treacherous at times. As the extreme right can seem to be warmongers although truthfully, there are no extreme rightwing politicians anymore. Politics now, of whatever affiliation, is a race to see how duplicitously patronizing they can be and not get caught. Household and government deficits don't arise from saying no.

I became vegan because I found out via the HSUS.org how abusive the big business of industrialized animal husbandry is. I share my HSUS.org Facebook posts to my friends all the time. Some have become much more cautious with trusting industrialized farming.

When the subject of veganism comes up I simply say the truth, I am vegan because big business is mean to those animals. And after I say that, there is nothing left to discuss really.

It wasn't even difficult to quit meat, it's not like it actually tastes good. I've heard enough talk and my own taste for over 45 years to know that what people like about meat is the blood and the fat - that is the high salt in the blood and the fat in the meat. Well, just buy a tub of margarine and a box of Morton salt and you're set without all the animal abuse. Or self-abuse if you know what those meats have been pumped with. It's a lot cheaper and healthier too. There's not a doubt most sick time and cancers in America are caused by industrialized meat production, as well as several strains of antibiotic resistant bacteria. Much more dangerous to the average American than smoking.

I'm very conservative myself but that conservatism has nothing to do with modern politics; which is mostly an orgy of selfishness, whatever the political affiliation.

However, most criticizing you don't know about the meat industry's abuses and they are hostile to you strictly for political reasons.

If most non-vegans had to mind their own bloody business of eating meat, they'd stop eating meat.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    Back in my vegetarian days people made such a big deal out of not eating meat, especially bacon. I never understood it either.

How sick do you get of people asking you where you get you protein and iron from?
    Golly what a grump.
    Isn't it your chance to show someone another way of eating? Seems like an honest enough question, protein is important.