Vegan hate

Options

Replies

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I would never get mad at someone because they are vegan, but I expect the same in return, don't get mad at me for eating meat.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    Back in my vegetarian days people made such a big deal out of not eating meat, especially bacon. I never understood it either.

How sick do you get of people asking you where you get you protein and iron from?
    Golly what a grump.
    Isn't it your chance to show someone another way of eating? Seems like an honest enough question, protein is important.

I didn't find that to be a grumpy response. I'm assuming you know meat is not your only source for protein.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Not meant to be a grumpy response at all. It's just annoying. How would meat eaters feel if a vegan walked around and asked them where they were getting their vitamin a, vitamin b, etc. Its just an overall rude annoying question.
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Maybe they're worried you're judging them and feel guilty when socilizing with a vegan. Or maybe they're just pushy oppinionated jerks...I would not know as I've never felt the need to judge a vegan...more meat (and milk and eggs) for me!
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JAGrogan wrote: »
    *political stuff I don't care anything about*

Not sure what you read into my post but it had nothing whatsoever to do with what I said. Unless someone is asking for another person's opinion about what kinds of food they eat, or they are getting medical advice from their doctor or dietician, it is NOBODY'S business what anybody chooses to eat.

If someone made a comment about my food choices without being asked their opinion, I'd simply give them a glare and ask them why they felt it necessary to comment on something that doesn't concern them. I don't care if they are vegan, or eat hamburgers and twinkies all day. None of my business. Unless I am asked.

• rofliey
    rofliey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Atleast you get vegan powers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    JAGrogan wrote: »
    DaneanP wrote: »
    Who cares what people think? What you think is what matters. Tell them to mind their own bloody business.

It's mainly because vegans are strongly associated with the extreme left politically and well, the extreme-left's behavior can seem rather treacherous at times. As the extreme right can seem to be warmongers although truthfully, there are no extreme rightwing politicians anymore. Politics now, of whatever affiliation, is a race to see how duplicitously patronizing they can be and not get caught. Household and government deficits don't arise from saying no.

I became vegan because I found out via the HSUS.org how abusive the big business of industrialized animal husbandry is. I share my HSUS.org Facebook posts to my friends all the time. Some have become much more cautious with trusting industrialized farming.

When the subject of veganism comes up I simply say the truth, I am vegan because big business is mean to those animals. And after I say that, there is nothing left to discuss really.

It wasn't even difficult to quit meat, it's not like it actually tastes good. I've heard enough talk and my own taste for over 45 years to know that what people like about meat is the blood and the fat - that is the high salt in the blood and the fat in the meat. Well, just buy a tub of margarine and a box of Morton salt and you're set without all the animal abuse. Or self-abuse if you know what those meats have been pumped with. It's a lot cheaper and healthier too. There's not a doubt most sick time and cancers in America are caused by industrialized meat production, as well as several strains of antibiotic resistant bacteria. Much more dangerous to the average American than smoking.

I'm very conservative myself but that conservatism has nothing to do with modern politics; which is mostly an orgy of selfishness, whatever the political affiliation.

However, most criticizing you don't know about the meat industry's abuses and they are hostile to you strictly for political reasons.

If most non-vegans had to mind their own bloody business of eating meat, they'd stop eating meat.

OP, you asked why, and this wall of text is why. SOME vegans (as well as some people in other lifestyles) feel the need to shove their belief down your throat, or find some conspiracy theory as to why the world is "against" them.

Personally, I don't care if you're a vegan, vegetarian, or if you live on a diet of dirt. Do what you want to do. If people want to know more about your lifestyle, they'll ask. If they get butthurt after you tell them your SOLICITED reasons, then they're the jerks. However, if you're one of the ones who goes on a rant when no-one asks, you're the jerk.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I've never met a vegan who didn't try to make me feel bad for eating meat.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's like crossfitters, it's not so much what they do here, but a lot of us have run into that outspoken annoying behavior (that is stereotyped of them) IRL.

It's not really fair to everyone, but it's why it happens.

Also, just expressing being full on vegan implies a judgment, and that makes some uncomfortable.

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Agree.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    How odd i wouldnt give a rats, unless they started impinging on my food choices.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    How many vegans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Two, one to change it and one to check for animal ingredients.
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    This^

Also +1 Crossfitter reference.

tumblr_njpq135wPO1r1mpi1o1_540.jpg
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    How many vegans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Two, one to change it and one to check for animal ingredients.

I especially love being lectured by vegans who are wearing leather shoes.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I don't hate vegans. A lot of vegan food tastes great.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    rofliey wrote: »
    Atleast you get vegan powers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yGnJkOj.gif
  • LydiaZ36
    LydiaZ36 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am going to tell you why. A lot of people will disagree, but this is true. Subconscious guilt is why. You don't have to say one word, but immediately, they assume you are attacking them in your head. They assume you are judging them silently, and they begin to defend themselves out loud to the attack you NEVER made. They feel the need to tell you why it is ok to eat animals when you NEVER said one stinking word about it. I've been vegetarian since 1999 and have listened to more attacks about why I should be eating meat then the other way around BY FAR. Are there preachy vegetarians? Sure, but there are way more meat eaters that will attack you for eating meat. Every once in a bit, I've had someone confess in a conversation like this, yes, I do feel bad about it, but I don't have the will power. Well, there you go...
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Look ignore it. I have been a vegan for 25 years. Started in the midwest in the late 1989. That was before peope knew what it was. They barely knew veg. I was once told that it was unamerican and that there by I was going to go to hell for being a vegan by a table I waited on at a restaurant. They liked me and wanted to save my unamerican soul. I thought it was the funniest bigot line I had heard in awhile which is why I still remember it. If you are vegan be a vegan for yourself. If people say stupid stuff and you actually care about those people tryo to tal to them. If they still say stupid stuff put your foot down and make it clear that it isn't ok. If you don't care about said people then ignore them. I have many a family member and friends who are not vegan. All of them by now respect and honor my choice. If they don't and I have given them multi chances to then I cut them out of my life. Since if you can not respect my choices then you don't respect me. That said I respect other people's choices so I am always good about people who choose to eat meat. I will talk about if asked and explain why I am.
    Why do people get so mad when they find out that I am vegan? Like they get really mad and tell me that people were meant to eat meat. My being vegan only comes out if I am having to order food.