Since thick is in, should I stay at 145 on my 5'2 frame

Options

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    giphy.gif

For real... this is the most confusing mess I've ever seen. I didn't know it was possible to be equally disgusted by two opposing viewpoints. All the body-shaming in this thread has just set women back 20 years.

Truth!
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Thick is in? Dammit. Why didn't anyone tell me? :s
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    LilLuLu4 wrote: »
    I'm 5'6" and 159 lbs. (considered overweight on the BMI scale). I go to the gym 6 days a week. I can run a 7:30 mile. I run 2-5 miles (8 min pace) about 4 days a week. I lift heavy things 4 times a week. My blood pressure is low and I'm completely healthy. So the BMI chart can kiss my a**. If a doctor examines me and takes note of my excellent stats and observes my fitness level and still tells me I need to lose 5 lbs. to get to "normal" BMI in order to consider me healthy...I'm finding a new doc.
    q21lmzafzvth.jpg

I hope you bought that dress - it looks fantastic on you.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    And as an overall observation, it would be REALLY nice if people would
    a - size their pictures realistically, so they don't distort how the text is presented by warping the
    size of the box
    b - not quote pictures like that, so they don't mess up more pages
    rainbowbow wrote:
    No reason to stay overweight at risk for health problems just to fulfill some sort of "fad" beauty ideal
    Yes, this. So very much this.
    we've become so desensitized to what a normal body weight looks like,
    with 60+% of Americans overweight
    Yep.
    One of my _doctors_ asked me today how much I intended to lose, and when I told her my initial goal
    is about another 30 lb (110 total) which will put me 8-10 lb under the top end of a healthy BMI range,
    she said she didn't see where it would come from. I think I have a pretty realistic idea of what my
    body looks like, and I pointed out a couple external/visible areas that are flabby, plus I know
    there's some internal (visceral) fat still to lose, and my thighs & hips (while greatly improved) still
    hold more fat than they need.
    Also told her that when I get to my initial goal I'll step up the weightlifting (which I've been doing all
    along, and am seeing/feeling great results!) to do more work on shaping. Will evaluate how I feel &
    look after that, and _might_ go another 10-15 lb down, but that still leaves me in the upper half of
    a healthy BMI range.
    MissKriss3 wrote:
    I'm extremely confident weighing 174# at 5'1". Thanks to strength training.
    Being confident is nice. Being healthy is better.
    At your height, 125 is the top of the healthy weight range. 160 is the top of the overweight range.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    angellll12 wrote:
    Do you have pictures? ... I like the way your waist is small and your hips and butt pop.
    You don't even look 175, esp being only 5'1. I'm going to waist train, this belly ruins everything.
    Waist training (extreme corseting) will change your shape, including malforming your lower ribs.
    While you're wearing the corset, your internal organs will be shifted to new locations, compressed
    into less space. This impedes function.
    There are some slight risks to it, but women have been using corsets for centuries without perishing.
    Why do you think women used to be thought so frail, faint so easily, have deformed babies, etc?
    It's because they were pushing their organs into new & wrong locations.
    jvidon wrote:
    If u stop working out, the muscle returns to fat
    Not understanding how that's supposed to happen, since muscle didn't come from fat to begin with.
    jesusjohn wrote:
    Amber Rose waist is 27. Hips are 40
    I'm at 32 & 42 and have trouble finding pants that fit the hips w/o gapping at the waist.
    Luckily, I can sew, so I hit the thrift store, find pants that fit my hips, and make them fit my waist.
    rainbowwow wrote:
    you cannot make your breasts larger
    Sure you can: get pregnant. :smirk:
    sunglasses wrote:
    None of us with boobies will be sagging to our navels either
    You obviously haven't worked with too many (any?) elderly women. :anguished:
    jorocka wrote:
    I've never once described myself as curvy- I really wish we could get over that
    But I _am_ curvy. I don't know calculus, so can't describe them well, but my calves curve, my hips
    curve, my belly curves, my butt curves, my back curves, my shoulders curve, my breasts curve...
    And since I've gotten closer to a healthy weight, plus strengthening the underlying muscles, the
    curves look a lot better.
    rosie wrote:
    Now I'm in 32B.... Doesn't that translate to an A?
    That would be a 34A or a 30C.
    Sometimes if your normal size doesn't fit, try the equivalent one "next door".
    Go up one band size & down one cup size, or vice versa.
    lillu wrote:
    People don't seem to realize that BMI is highly inaccurate. And not just for body builders and
    athletes. It has a significant error rate when varying age, gender, and ethnicity and was never
    supposed to be used for individual assessment. I'm actually shocked that knowing this, many
    doctors still use BMI to classify their patients. Waist circumference is much more accurate.
    So, something which measures population trends (large sample size) is inaccurate,
    but something which doesn't take into account height, weight, or frame size is accurate?? :confused:
    Telling someone who's 4'9" that she's healthy with a 33" waist because "having a waist that's 33" or
    less is healthy"
    is foolish. That's not a healthy amount of abdominal fat for someone that small.
    Telling someone who's 6'2" that she's not healthy because her waist is 35" is also foolish. She's
    probably got less abdominal fat in comparison to her overall weight than the tiny woman does.
  • LilLuLu4
    LilLuLu4 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I'm 5'6" and 159 lbs. (considered overweight on the BMI scale). I go to the gym 6 days a week. I can run a 7:30 mile. I run 2-5 miles (8 min pace) about 4 days a week. I lift heavy things 4 times a week. My blood pressure is low and I'm completely healthy. So the BMI chart can kiss my a**. If a doctor examines me and takes note of my excellent stats and observes my fitness level and still tells me I need to lose 5 lbs. to get to "normal" BMI in order to consider me healthy...I'm finding a new doc.
    q21lmzafzvth.jpg

Sadly no. I was trying to match my BF and went with an equally cute LBD. Wish I had bought both now.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    @MKEgal there is some evidence that waist size is a better indicator of health than bmi. Risks for diseases went up when waist circumference is more than half your height (I assume this excludes waist training).

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/04/beyond-bmi-a-better-tool-to-measure-your-health/
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    q21lmzafzvth.jpg

Sadly no. I was trying to match my BF and went with an equally cute LBD. Wish I had bought both now.

This is basically a crime. An actual crime.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    @MKEgal there is some evidence that waist size is a better indicator of health than bmi. Risks for diseases went up when waist circumference is more than half your height (I assume this excludes waist training).

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/04/beyond-bmi-a-better-tool-to-measure-your-health/

While this may be correct in general, you also need to consider that it's just one variable to measure among several. At 169 cm (5'6) and 98 kg (218) I doubt the fact that my waist falls within the acceptable healthy range means I'm at a healthy weight. I'm still considered obese by BMI, so BMI can't be ignored just for the sake of it.

Edit: Never mind, mine does fall slightly out of line by an inch. I was going by the usual recommendation of 35 inch waist or less. But my point still stands. Would I be healthy at 200 pounds?
  • Eudoxy
    Options

While this may be correct in general, you also need to consider that it's just one variable to measure among several. At 169 cm (5'6) and 98 kg (218) I doubt the fact that my waist falls within the acceptable healthy range means I'm at a healthy weight. I'm still considered obese by BMI, so BMI can't be ignored just for the sake of it.

Edit: Never mind, mine does fall slightly out of line by an inch. I was going by the usual recommendation of 35 inch waist or less. But my point still stands. Would I be healthy at 200 pounds?

I have no idea. Possibly. There's a lot of variables and other considerations. In general, abdominal fat causes the most problems, though.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    OP: I respect your right to have whatever sort of body makes you feel best... but... 145 on a 5'2" person is over the medical overweight limit by almost 10 lbs. Unless you pack it ALL in the hips/butt/thighs area, please be aware of what you're doing. That's all. No offense implied.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I have no idea. Possibly. There's a lot of variables and other considerations. In general, abdominal fat causes the most problems, though.

I'm not disagreeing with waist as an indicator, in fact I believe it's good variable to measure for those aiming to be in the slightly overweight category. My goal preference would be somewhere between 24 and 28 BMI depending on how I look and how easy it is for me to maintain. I have that leeway due to having a little less fat than average in the abdominal area.

On the other hand, someone who is shaped differently where they're genetically square due to having a wider build, larger framed bones, and a different abdominal muscle build may be considered unhealthy when they don't have much in terms of fat there. All I'm saying not one measurement should be taken as the pillar of health, but several.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

Depends. Losing 18 pounds might not change your waist measurement at all. Losing 58 might not (I lost 30 pounds and 3 inches on my waist but none on my hips for example.) Weight loss is a strange thing.
  • Eudoxy
    Options

I'm not disagreeing with waist as an indicator, in fact I believe it's good variable to measure for those aiming to be in the slightly overweight category. My goal preference would be somewhere between 24 and 28 BMI depending on how I look and how easy it is for me to maintain. I have that leeway due to having a little less fat than average in the abdominal area.

On the other hand, someone who is shaped differently where they're genetically square due to having a wider build, larger framed bones, and a different abdominal muscle build may be considered unhealthy when they don't have much in terms of fat there. All I'm saying not one measurement should be taken as the pillar of health, but several.

Agreed. And none of these measurements or indicators are written in stone.

• Eudoxy
    Options
    I've lost 25 lbs and my thighs have lost 1 inch.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Obviously different people feel comfortable at different weights. I can't say you wouldn't be perfectly healthy at 5'2" and 145 pounds...that would depend on your body composition and level of fitness. Clearly @Lillulu4, while her BMI might be slightly above the "healthy" range appears fit (and fabulous) but she has more muscle mass than the average woman, which is why BMI is not always accurate, particularly for athletes and bodybuilders.

Corset training and body wraps will help you look slimmer...as long as you are wearing the corset or don't drink a big glass of water. But exercise...some weight training...some cardio...is the only way to achieve lasting results. If you were "curvy" when you were heavier, most likely your body will remain curvy when you lose weight...you will just have smaller curves. Most people don't go from an hourglass or pear to a rectangle, they just become slimmer versions of their current shape.

Personally I am happiest hovering around the low end of my BMI range. But I have a very small frame.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    JLo is gorgeous. I'm just going to assume that some of you just don't know how to read, or are somehow incapable of seeing the difference between a bigger, natural booty, and a completely fake and unnatural one. Because that's the only reason I can think of why you all are putting words in my mouth.

But yeah, deciding to make yourself look completely unnatural and obscene does reflect on someone's personality, unfortunately, and I'm totally judging.
  • LilLuLu4
    edited April 2015
    Options

True. I wasn't saying to ignore BMI altogether. But the point on the BMI scale where risk of chronic disease is increased is at the obesity range. Because the BMI scale is so inaccurate, the waist circumference should be used as a more specific tool to measure health (or risk really)for people not in the obese category since too much added fat around the abdomen is the biggest risk indicator. It just helps to more accurately display weight distribution (though also not a perfect metric). So someone with huge boobs, big butt, or lots of muscle may not be as bad off as the BMI scale would suggest or automatically considered unhealthy (as many here have suggested).
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Apples be hatin'
  • LilLuLu4
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So @Francl27 , I gotta know: what do you think about Serena Williams? I'm honestly just curious in what think about women who are naturally shaped this way.

7vy6qoaoiacm.jpg