Questions about sugar

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

:wink:
    Yes, if by eating the fruit instead of the black beans, you were therefore not getting the nutrients you needed from the beans. We are designed to have a widely varied diet. Am I saying that you can't have a Snickers and be healthy? No. But I am saying that the Snickers is not contributing to your health. Even if I were to agree that sugar is sugar, (which is debatable, but is a matter of semantics) the sugar in fruit is accompanied by fiber. It is harder for your body to digest and therefore results in lower amounts of insulin being released that the simple, refined sugar in a candy bar. Insulin prompts the body to store glycogen, either in muscles, or as fat. So a Snickers has 33 grams of Carbs, (1 gram of Fiber, and 27 grams of sugar). An orange has 21 grams of Carbs (4.3 grams of Fiber and 17 grams of sugar). The energy from the orange will be released slower, your body will have a chance to actually use the energy from it as it is released. But in addition to just energy the orange also has Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamins A, C, and B-6.

You know how I know you don't understand science?

pick me!
    Hermione-Raising-Hand.gif
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Just because "everyone" is doing it doesn't mean that it is OK.

Many people can lose weight while consuming too much sugar. Some of us cannot. It's not only a question of weight loss--too much sugar in your diet isn't great for long-term health.

I manage to eat a fair amount of chocolate and fruit and still not go over my sugar allowance. Switch some of your fruit consumption to vegetable consumption. It's not that hard.

Did you read my post about the day I went over on sugar from consuming dairy and vegetables? No fruit?

Besides, how much is "too much"?

Nope, I didn't see that. How much dairy did you eat that day?

Too much is when you are going over your allowances. I don't think that I have EVER gone over--that's a heck of a lot of sugar.

Part of what the macros are doing is to help us moderate our diets on a daily level. Too much of anything is probably not great--we need variety. While one day will not make or break you, it is helpful to have that reminder in everyday tracking. Americans are used to a diet which contains vastly too much sugar in all of its forms--that seems normal, especially to people who are used to eating a lot of processed foods, but it might not be the best plan in the long term.

Not everybody here is focused solely on weight loss. I want to live well, to be fit and to minimize the effects of some fairly serious health issues. I have excellent longevity in my family tree and I want to look and feel good as I age, because in all likelihood I am going to make it to a fairly old age.

There are several IIFYM people here who have lost a lot of weight, but when you zoom in on their faces, they look a lot older than you would expect. Sure, aging has to do with genetics and all kinds of lifestyle choices, but it seems like, in some cases, the sugar isn't helping much. Yes, n=not very many and the research in this area is fairly new and somewhat limited. ..but I will keep eating within the goals, just in case. :)

Really? That whole zoom in the face garbage. So let me ask you this, if that's the way you feel, why did you join my ice cream and gelato group?

She saw your profile picture, realized your sugar consumption turned you into a dog, and was determined to gather more information to save all remaining humans.
  • HeatherZousel
    HeatherZousel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    jenhill76 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! I'm not going to worry about it so long as it's "healthy" and natural sugar I'm consuming... and not from a snickers bar haha!
    Did you not read anything else in the thread?

SMH.

I think OP is right here. When you are restricting calories you should try to eat things that will benefit your body. If you are eating fruit you are clearly benefiting your body far more than a snickers would. What is weightloss without health.

So 1 snickers will make you unhealthy?

Nope. Never said it would. My point is that there is a lot more to nutritional health than macros. You know like vitamins, mineral, antioxidants. When you are eating in calorie restriction and trying to meet the nutritional needsof your body, youare better served by eating fruit than snickers . If you deny fruit is better for you than snickers then I can't think of a single reason to continue having this conversation

So I can cut on about 1950 calories, how many calories do you assume I would need to eat of that to hit my nutritional needs? Are you assuming that it would take my entire 1950 calorie allotment?

If I can hit my markers with 1700 calories would a snickers bar make my entire day unhealthy?

I don't look at my life in absolutes like that anymore. I used to. But then I didn't have a real healthy relationship with food. Nor does your body have a clock that resets at midnight. If I eat a kale salad, then 4 hours later I eat a Snickers bar, that does not eliminate the healthy effects of the kale. The kale was still healthy. If I am trying to lose weight, however, the snickers wasn't the best choice I could have made. There are lots of reasons I feel that way. Partly the simple carbs, but also because I don't believe processed foods are the best option for health. I think you should try to eat as close to natural foods as possible. That means no soy lecithin, or corn syrup.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    But I think he's a very youthful-looking dog!

My fur is remarkably bright for a 45-year-old, too, and just look how pouncy I still am!
  • HeatherZousel
    Options
    Enlighten me
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

:wink:
    Yes, if by eating the fruit instead of the black beans, you were therefore not getting the nutrients you needed from the beans. We are designed to have a widely varied diet. Am I saying that you can't have a Snickers and be healthy? No. But I am saying that the Snickers is not contributing to your health. Even if I were to agree that sugar is sugar, (which is debatable, but is a matter of semantics) the sugar in fruit is accompanied by fiber. It is harder for your body to digest and therefore results in lower amounts of insulin being released that the simple, refined sugar in a candy bar. Insulin prompts the body to store glycogen, either in muscles, or as fat. So a Snickers has 33 grams of Carbs, (1 gram of Fiber, and 27 grams of sugar). An orange has 21 grams of Carbs (4.3 grams of Fiber and 17 grams of sugar). The energy from the orange will be released slower, your body will have a chance to actually use the energy from it as it is released. But in addition to just energy the orange also has Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamins A, C, and B-6.

Wut?

So... the energy from sugar is just so... LIGHTNING FAST, my body can't handle that shiznit and it goes right through me?

Yeah, you're throwing around lots of sciency words and trying to sound like you know what you're talking about, but you're making absolutely no sense.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! I'm not going to worry about it so long as it's "healthy" and natural sugar I'm consuming... and not from a snickers bar haha!
    Did you not read anything else in the thread?

SMH.

I think OP is right here. When you are restricting calories you should try to eat things that will benefit your body. If you are eating fruit you are clearly benefiting your body far more than a snickers would. What is weightloss without health.

So 1 snickers will make you unhealthy?

Nope. Never said it would. My point is that there is a lot more to nutritional health than macros. You know like vitamins, mineral, antioxidants. When you are eating in calorie restriction and trying to meet the nutritional needsof your body, youare better served by eating fruit than snickers . If you deny fruit is better for you than snickers then I can't think of a single reason to continue having this conversation

So I can cut on about 1950 calories, how many calories do you assume I would need to eat of that to hit my nutritional needs? Are you assuming that it would take my entire 1950 calorie allotment?

If I can hit my markers with 1700 calories would a snickers bar make my entire day unhealthy?

I don't look at my life in absolutes like that anymore. I used to. But then I didn't have a real healthy relationship with food. Nor does your body have a clock that resets at midnight. If I eat a kale salad, then 4 hours later I eat a Snickers bar, that does not eliminate the healthy effects of the kale. The kale was still healthy. If I am trying to lose weight, however, the snickers wasn't the best choice I could have made. There are lots of reasons I feel that way. Partly the simple carbs, but also because I don't believe processed foods are the best option for health. I think you should try to eat as close to natural foods as possible. That means no soy lecithin, or corn syrup.

All I know is that I no longer have heart disease and have a blood pressure of a teenager eating sugary foods. *facepalm*
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Many people can lose weight while consuming too much sugar. Some of us cannot. It's not only a question of weight loss--too much sugar in your diet isn't great for long-term health.

I manage to eat a fair amount of chocolate and fruit and still not go over my sugar allowance. Switch some of your fruit consumption to vegetable consumption. It's not that hard.

Did you read my post about the day I went over on sugar from consuming dairy and vegetables? No fruit?

Too much is when you are going over your allowances. I don't think that I have EVER gone over--that's a heck of a lot of sugar.

Part of what the macros are doing is to help us moderate our diets on a daily level. Too much of anything is probably not great--we need variety. While one day will not make or break you, it is helpful to have that reminder in everyday tracking. Americans are used to a diet which contains vastly too much sugar in all of its forms--that seems normal, especially to people who are used to eating a lot of processed foods, but it might not be the best plan in the long term.

Not everybody here is focused solely on weight loss. I want to live well, to be fit and to minimize the effects of some fairly serious health issues. I have excellent longevity in my family tree and I want to look and feel good as I age, because in all likelihood I am going to make it to a fairly old age.

There are several IIFYM people here who have lost a lot of weight, but when you zoom in on their faces, they look a lot older than you would expect. Sure, aging has to do with genetics and all kinds of lifestyle choices, but it seems like, in some cases, the sugar isn't helping much. Yes, n=not very many and the research in this area is fairly new and somewhat limited. ..but I will keep eating within the goals, just in case. :)

Really? That whole zoom in the face garbage. So let me ask you this, if that's the way you feel, why did you join my ice cream and gelato group?

In case you didn't notice, many of us look better than you and are probably much healthier some coming out saying such ignorance is just ignorant.

What's funny is I still get carded.....a lot. You'd think if I looked that much older it wouldn't happen......
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

In case you didn't notice, many of us look better than you and are probably much healthier some coming out saying such ignorance is just ignorant.

What's funny is I still get carded.....a lot. You'd think if I looked that much older it wouldn't happen......

I know I have people say I look younger all the time since I lost weight.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Storing glycogen can be very good, you know. It's why some say ideal workout/post workout carbs are faster ones, and not fruit, for the most part.

I'm kind of skeptical about that in that for my level of performance I doubt it matters much--fruit can be a good fuel/refuel (if it's easy to carry around, anyway), but so can white rice (if not even better), and so context matters a lot.
  • HeatherZousel
    Options
    Sciency. Good word. No it doesn't go through you, but unless you just ran a marathon and your muscles are empty of glycogen it will store as fat. Don't worry. I won't be pulling that snickers away from you. I will undoubtedly eat one now and then. I just won't try to convince myself that I am doing something good for my body. I will enjoy it like the treat that it is.
    I do have a decent grasp of the way the human body works. I don't have a degree in nutrition but give me the contact information of a licensed nutritionist that would recommend eating snickers over fruit and I will send you a case of snickers as my sincere apology for soundy sciency
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Enlighten me

You don't get "extra healthy" from eating more healthy foods after you've met your body's needs. You just get pee with lots of vitamins in it and fiber-enriched poop.

Let me tell you how I plan my day of eating.

I prelog my meals so I know what I'll have on any given day, and usually do any veggie prep in the morning so that I can weigh everything out and log it too.

I'll go back to a few days ago before I got sick and explain how I thought out my day. Bear in mind that I'm a vegetarian in case my food choices sound weird to you.

I knew that I wanted spiralized zucchini, peppers, and mung bean pasta for my main meal. I prepped the veggies, weighed them, and logged that meal.

I decided I wanted cottage cheese with chopped veggies for breakfast. I prepped those veggies, weighed them out, and logged that.

I always have plain Greek yogurt, frozen raspberries and almonds somewhere in my day, so I logged that.

I wanted some more protein, so I logged a protein shake with frozen strawberries and PB2 in it.

I had gone to the gym that morning, done treadmill and weights and I made brownies that day. I had plenty of calories left in my day. I also had plenty of nutritious food logged. I logged the brownie recipe in the recipe builder, and added a brownie to my diary for the day.

In my mind, that was a nicely balanced day. I ate plenty of nourishing food with a little treat thrown in to keep me happy and sane and keep my plan sustainable for life.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

I know I have people say I look younger all the time since I lost weight.

Our office cleaning woman claimed I look 30 years younger.

I don't think I looked 75 before, fat as I was.

I choose to think I looked maybe 52, and now 22.

(Maybe I'm overthinking?)
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sciency. Good word. No it doesn't go through you, but unless you just ran a marathon and your muscles are empty of glycogen it will store as fat. Don't worry. I won't be pulling that snickers away from you. I will undoubtedly eat one now and then. I just won't try to convince myself that I am doing something good for my body. I will enjoy it like the treat that it is.
    I do have a decent grasp of the way the human body works. I don't have a degree in nutrition but give me the contact information of a licensed nutritionist that would recommend eating snickers over fruit and I will send you a case of snickers as my sincere apology for soundy sciency

Explain how a Snickers bar will store as excess fat when you're eating at either a calorie deficit or at energy balance/maintenance.

I'll wait.

Or.... here's a better one.

Tell me how lean meat, healthy fat, and vegetables won't store as excess fat when eating at a calorie surplus?

• HeatherZousel
    Options
    Calories in calories out is a flawed theory that I don't necessarily subsribe to. Ready? Set? Flame! I've done plenty of research and I am sure there are lots of folks here that will come out now and say "well I lost by burning more than I ate," I am sure you did. There are lots of people it doesn't work for.
    And...go
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Are any of you having a hard time going over on your sugars? I'm eating pretty healthy, yet I still keep going over on my sugars. Every single day. It's from the fruits. But I will not cut out my fruits. And I'm NOT giving up my ONE cup of coffee with creamer. I've cut enough out... I can't cut out those 2 things. How much is this going to affect my weight loss?

if u r staying in your calorie goal then it shouldn't affect your weight.