FireRunners (C25K May 9th group) Week 1!!

Options

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    OK so I'll join in - did W1D1 yesterday and even though should be resting today have done approx 1hr on the Wii - my butt hurts LOL

Haven't run since finishing senior 30 years ago - so it was a little bit of a shock to the system. I did walk two of the run stints but who cares I kept moving and didn't stop - tomorrow will be better, it will, I know it will....... I hope it will LOL

Welcome to the group! Anything is possible, you just have to BELIEVE it! :smile:

ETA: Welcome to you too Lanfear, sorry I missed your post! This thread is so big now haha! :smile:
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I finished w1d3 .. it went really well. But im really sore.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Great advice Haley. I just found another post with some great advice for beginning runners:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/242281-20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started?page=1#posts-3199806
  • bethany7687
    bethany7687 Posts: 44
    Options
    Last night was w2d1 and I found it to be very easy. It was my first time running on a treadmill. So far I've run on the beach, the street, a paved path in the state park and the treadmill. I liked the treadmill bc I was able to see my speed increase from 4.5 to 5.2mph during the running phases. I never thought I could run 5mph! All my runs have been at the end of the day. Has anyone noticed a difference if they run in the am? I gotta tell you, I am loving this.
  • Melissaol
    Options
    I just finished w1D3 last night. It felt so good. But this morning im really sore. But on to w2D1....
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have been off for a week because of the bite...Not sure if I can do it yet but going to go ahead and try tonight...starting over though on W1D1, And running in the gym now...so dont want a run in with another unleashed dog!
  • FierceFeline
    Options
    is there a week two thread?
  • saphire76
    saphire76 Posts: 102
    Options
    Boo it's raining here in central jersey so I didn't do it yesterday or today. I did go to the gym and do a DVD but I'm bummed. I was looking forward to week 2.
  • saphire76
    Options
    Just some tips for everybody, thought you could use some encouragement! :smile:

1. It's not supposed to be "easy"!! If you're expecting it to "get easier" or not be "as hard," you're going to be terribly disappointed! The only thing that gets easier is sticking with it and dealing with the toughness of it, because you get MENTALLY stronger every time you get out there and do it. That's the key! Burning calories is not supposed to be as easy as putting them in! :wink:

2. Make sure you stretch your legs, hips, and knees out before you run each time. That is my secret for having very little soreness and zero injuries so far :smile: The key is not pushing yourself TOO hard and giving your muscles a little love before you go out. It truly makes a difference to stretch those hammies!!

3. If you don't have a Heart Rate Monitor, GET ONE. Oh. my. gosh. Those things are amazing!! You burn WAY more calories than

MFP says you do just walking/running because your heart rate skyrockets with this program. Get one ASAP.

You are so right about the HRM! I love it and it's a big! Difference.

Happy running everybody!! :smile: Love you ALLLLL!!!!! :heart:
  • saphire76
    Options
    I don't know I'm kinda embarrassed about going to the gym and doing it on the treadmill and stopping every minute to walk like people are looking at me. Just me?
  • Jayni40
    Jayni40 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    C25k W2D1
    Ok so I did a modified version today instead of on the track or treadmill I did it on the elliptical. For the past week my knees have been giving me sighns that its not enjoying the pounding and pressure that i'm putting on them I mean at over 300lbs thats a lot of pressure.SO i figured I do it on the elliptical.It wasnt any easier just less painfull. I burned roughly the same amount of calories the only difference was my pace was a bit faster than if i was actually running. So I think I'll do this for the next two weeks to give my knees a break. When I get back to actuall running I'll start W2D1 again just to see if I can then catch up. I'm hoping that I can build up some stamina so that I can make it through the jogging intervals. What do you guys think? I hope this dosnt set me back.
    And please dont kick me out I'm still a Firerunner!!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Last night I did W1D3, but had to stop 15 minutes in because of what I think are shin splints, but only on my left leg. I have never had this before, and did my toe taps and warm-up before running, but it got to the point where I could only walk and that was difficult. The shin splint made me walk "flat footed" on my left foot. WTH??
  • Melissaol
    Options
    W2d1 done. It felt so good.
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Well, going out of town again this weekend so I have been super busy and not managed to get day 2 in yet. I can do it while I'm there though but it will take me a day or two longer than one week to get the first week done!
  • maryff
    maryff Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Did Week 2, Day 1 last night. I was super slow, but it felt good.
  • breezey77
    breezey77 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Some how I have some serious neck and upper back pain...so I haven't been running. I've been walking on the treadmill at least to keep some activity going. I'll have to do Week 2 next week. :frown:
  • luvs_choc8
    luvs_choc8 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,
    Did W4D1 last night and it kicked my butt. The run segments were more of a speed walk because my knee was bothering me. I still got all the way through it and continued to complete a full 5K. I am surprisingly not sore at all today. I will give it and honest attempt on Friday.
  • x_sotonguetied
    Options
    good morning all! :)

did my W2D2 today! was a little warm out, but it still felt great!

don't have a gym membership anymore at the moment so my only option is outside at the moment, and the weather over the weekend looks iffy! i might have to bump my W2D3 to next week and run 4 times next week.

hopefully the weather ends up in my favor though :)

happy running!
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    C25k W2D1
    Ok so I did a modified version today instead of on the track or treadmill I did it on the elliptical. For the past week my knees have been giving me sighns that its not enjoying the pounding and pressure that i'm putting on them I mean at over 300lbs thats a lot of pressure.SO i figured I do it on the elliptical.It wasnt any easier just less painfull. I burned roughly the same amount of calories the only difference was my pace was a bit faster than if i was actually running. So I think I'll do this for the next two weeks to give my knees a break. When I get back to actuall running I'll start W2D1 again just to see if I can then catch up. I'm hoping that I can build up some stamina so that I can make it through the jogging intervals. What do you guys think? I hope this dosnt set me back.
    And please dont kick me out I'm still a Firerunner!!

That's a great idea!! We would NEVER kick you out for that! :smile: