Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

plant based diet ?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    jfmorache wrote: »
    Hi guys just wanna have your opinions about a plant based diet. healthy ? Enough protein ? Ect.. Plant based eating is getting a lot of support recently ..

Diet is all about preference. If you like a plant based diet, I say go for it! :)
  • BananasananaB
    BananasananaB Posts: 12 Member
    I've been slowly making the switch to a plant based diet over the last 6 months. I went full board about a month ago and haven't looked back. Currently, I have no issues getting 100 grams of protein a day without even trying, which is plenty. I feel a million times better and am easily losing weight while eating a ton of food. Win, win!

What are some of your favorite foods for protein?

Black beans, a can of corn, organic multi-grain bread, pasta, chick peas, leafy greens, Morning Star black bean patties, rice.

• fullylugged
    fullylugged Posts: 67 Member
    rice and almost any bean variety gives a complete protein.
  • danicristina2015
    danicristina2015 Posts: 50 Member
    I've been vegetarian for 4 years but the past few months most of my meals are vegan and recently I've been eating a lot of raw vegan. It happened gradually.I make sure I have the right nutrition and I'm the healthiest I've been in my life. Processed food tends to upset my stomach and I don't enjoy it as much anymore. On rare occasion I'll have something that contains dairy or eggs, but the thought of them starts to make me feel sick
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Black beans, a can of corn, organic multi-grain bread, pasta, chick peas, leafy greens, Morning Star black bean patties, rice.

May I ask what your calorie goal is? 100 grams of protein on those foods without trying is impressive. Since restricting, I have had to focus on protein because my favorite sources are calorie dense (like yours).

• Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2015

It really comes down to how your eating makes you feel. If you feel better "plant based" then great, its working for you, but if you feel better with a meat and veges etc. approach then thats what I would use. Some people eat for health, some people eat for taste, I personaly want to enjoy what I eat.

I eat mainly fruits and vegetables. I also eat nuts, seeds and eggs. I eat a little meat each night with my last meal for the day. I wont bash meat, we raise cattle and chickens and turkeys for our own meat as well as raise laying hens for our own eggs. I do not consume much dairy, save for a little cheese, I know all too well what goes on in dairy farms (Ive worked in them in the milking parlors and feeding) so I avoid it except for the locally made organic cheese I purchase. I limit my meat to what we raise here, we do not use medications and our animals are grass fed so I know whats in them.

I think a plant based diet can be healthy if done right, but I also know a vegetarian who is very very overweight, so it isnt for her. I think it depends on you and your personal choices, you can make it as healthy or unhealthy as you want, with or without meat.
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    It is too bad that this discussion became so contentious. There are many things we really do not fully understand about health. Studies are difficult because people do not exist in a vacuum; we are not perfect, we do eat things we are not "supposed" to eat and measuring the health of a race of people based on their indigenous diets is not practical; there are too many variables. I think it is certainly safe to say that heavily processed foods (white flour, white sugar, chemical additives, artificial flavors and colors) are bad for our bodies and our planet. This is a very interesting topic and I think had people not been so rude to each other it could have been an interesting and intelligent discussion. I personally eat a pretty "healthy" varied diet but I choose not to eat much "mammal" meat (mostly for ethical reasons), or dairy (feel better when I am not eating it), or processed foods (makes me feel crappy and sets up craving/bingeing cycles). I do eat a lot of vegetables; they taste great, are wonderful for our bodies, make me feel really good (clear-headed and even), a few pasture raised eggs a week, some grains, seeds, nuts, and fruit. That said, I love good wine, crusty sourdough bread, good cheese, and some desserts. I would like to be the kind of person (and still hope to get there) who can eat these things occasionally and in moderation. Unfortunately, I find that the more I eat of these processed foods the more I crave them. I personally feel better when I eat a fairly simple diet of large quantities of vegetables, fruit, some whole grain, a little meat, a little egg, some beans and legumes. I am hoping to find the path that is right for me and my body but I have yet to be able to overcome the emotional issues that I have with food in order to eat only when I am hungry in the perfect/healthy proportions needed for my body. And, I don't necessarily think this is the way I want to live, Food is to be enjoyed, and celebrated, and if we make conscious choices with our personal goals and ethics taken into consideration we are headed in the right direction.
  • fullylugged
    fullylugged Posts: 67 Member
    "measuring the health of a race of people based on their indigenous diets is not practical; there are too many variables" The China Study set out to do just this and seems to have been largely successful. It prompted me to move to a plant based diet.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    "measuring the health of a race of people based on their indigenous diets is not practical; there are too many variables" The China Study set out to do just this and seems to have been largely successful. It prompted me to move to a plant based diet.

Ahem

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-china-study-revisited/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Reading this thread I really miss the strongly opinionated posters, who argue with science, analysed and actually educated me

This forum is a much poorer place for accessing proper scientific papers, and drawing your own opinions since they were removed.

The heated debate was interesting and informative...now we seem left with a much softer, less useful format of debate

Oh well, I've seen it happen over and over again on various fora ...it's just such a shame ...it changed my life for the better and it's so hard to pay forward without those voices
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

The China study is horrible. I've literally read the author of it get asked questions (by Paleos who are no better) and essentially respond with "I'm a professor, you wouldn't understand my sophisticated methodologies." Granted, in an absolute sense, that wouldn't make him wrong, but that's a red flag to me. Not only should someone publishing research be able to explain, a good professor that believes in it should relish the opportunity to teach it to someone without condescension.
  • juheakim
    juheakim Posts: 1 Member
    I'm a vegan of almost ten years. While I agree that being vegan doesn't automatically make you healthier or lose weight, I also completely stand behind the fact that done correctly, whole plant-based vegan diet will give you good health and your ideal weight without ever having to count calories.

Here's a study that explores why: Basically, the more phytochemicals you ingest through fruits and vegetables, the slimmer you are–even adjusted for the amount of calories. PI (phytochemical index) was negatively correlated to body weight, body fat, and waist circumference, at every point in the BMI spectrum.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3641567/

This is because your body doesn't treat each calorie equally--your body is less like a simple math equation, than a complex system of biochemical reactions.

Based on my personal experience, I know that this is absolutely true. I eat whatever I want, as much as I want, any time I want--all vegan, mostly unprocessed, mostly home-cooked foods. And I've never felt so lean and comfortable in my body in my life! Here's what I did to get to that point (with before and after pics):
    http://www.peacefuldumpling.com/tips-for-a-healthy-relationship-with-your-body
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited October 2015
    Dead animals are SUPER tasty, right?

Eggplant just doesn't caramelize correctly in the smoker, no matter how long you leave it in.
  • pd5370
    pd5370 Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2015
    You can get a lot of protein with a plant based diet. Foods such as chickpeas, lentils, beans, chia and hemp seeds contain lots of unprocessed and natural protein.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Bourbon and beer are plant based. One can argue that grass fed beef is plant based.
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    I tried but could not do it at this point in my life. I'm glad I tried because I'm eating more seeds and nuts.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    do i even want to read this thread or is it just full of "but bacon" comments

vegan is the best 100%
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Reading this thread I really miss the strongly opinionated posters, who argue with science, analysed and actually educated me

This forum is a much poorer place for accessing proper scientific papers, and drawing your own opinions since they were removed.

The heated debate was interesting and informative...now we seem left with a much softer, less useful format of debate

Oh well, I've seen it happen over and over again on various fora ...it's just such a shame ...it changed my life for the better and it's so hard to pay forward without those voices

I agree. I have no idea why this particular zombie thread was resurrected, but I appreciate it nonetheless.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    salembambi wrote: »
    do i even want to read this thread or is it just full of "but bacon" comments

vegan is the best 100%

Hey look, I'm a vegetarian, but I think declaring one way of eating to be "the best" is a bit wrong-headed.

It's the best for you.

I agree that the "but bacon" comments on veggie threads are annoying, but conversely there used to be a vegan guy on here who'd go onto all the keto, paleo, and low-carb threads and tell everyone to be a vegan. It's just as poor form.

Can't we all just eat diets of foods we prefer to eat without declaring a "winner"?