Options

Replies

• sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tjvtnn31nwa9.jpg

Here is today's bento:

Top layer: some fire roasted chicken (leftovers from a restaurant), almonds, lots of blueberries, tomatoes, broccoli, and a little goat cheese

Bottom layer: Cabbage, tomato and onion salad (leftovers from taco night), and two mushrooms. Creamy chipotle dressing for the salad not pictured.

I love looking forward to my little lunches! And what is funny is that my box was a big conversation starter at yoga teacher training this weekend. What I thought might get me labeled as a little eccentric became an "I love bentos!" and "that's so pretty" segue into talking about my job in nutrition. It was a nice tension breaker since I'm usually a little nervous around new people and in new situations.

I'm already starting to plan my next bento purchase (oh no! ;) )
  • sagj
    Options
    @Narcissora -I fit my salads into the box by chopping up everything small (putting my pesto making skills to use out of season :wink: ) It wouldn't be an option with everything but I like it. I just eat the little section next to my salad (mushrooms above), take out the divider, and then use that space to mix it around with the dressing.

You weren't asking but maybe it will help some else looking for a bento salad solution :)
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    sagj wrote: »

It's all downhill from here! :p

• SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Ok! Finally got to make a bento again. Not too exciting but here's my snack bento and my lunch bento. Snack is an egg and strawberries, melba chips, laughing cow cheese and scottie dog licorice. Both snacks, 259 cals. Lunch is soba noodles with edamame and shrimp, top tier is strawberries, salad cucumber, sugar snap peas and italian dressing in the pot. Total cals 338. I accidentally made this too small (miscounted the cals) so hopefully it holds me until dinner.7d4mnei398vm.jpg
    g5xe8so22k7p.jpg
  • sagj
    Options
    Ok! Finally got to make a bento again. Not too exciting but here's my snack bento and my lunch bento. Snack is an egg and strawberries, melba chips, laughing cow cheese and scottie dog licorice. Both snacks, 259 cals. Lunch is soba noodles with edamame and shrimp, top tier is strawberries, salad cucumber, sugar snap peas and italian dressing in the pot. Total cals 338. I accidentally made this too small (miscounted the cals) so hopefully it holds me until dinner.7d4mnei398vm.jpg
    g5xe8so22k7p.jpg

Ooo, I love your Hello Kitty bag! I need to get some snap peas next week for my bento. Yum. Your lunch looks delicious :)
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

And we wouldn't know anything about that now would we? ;)
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited April 2015
    Options

umm...<shuffles feet>...I know not of which you speak?? :* <walks away whistling...>

• SpecialKitty7
    Options
    g5xe8so22k7p.jpg

Ooo, I love your Hello Kitty bag! I need to get some snap peas next week for my bento. Yum. Your lunch looks delicious :)

Thanks! It's my new HK bag, it fit both bento boxes and my yogurt breakfast. Lunch was tasty.
  • mangrothian
    Options

umm...<shuffles feet>...I know not of which you speak?? :* <walks away whistling...>

Lol, like I'm one to talk. I have my eyes on a totoro set at the moment. So very tempting.....
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I've bought a Bento box as a result of reading this thread and can't wait to use it, and there are some great snack ideas in here which I wouldn't have thought of! Since I have coeliac and have to take a lunchbox with me any time I know I won't be able to get suitable food (which is often) the Bento box is a far nicer-looking, more convenient box than the crappy tupperware I've been using. I love the little silicone cupcake cases for keeping things seperate too, I'm going to buy a couple of them. Thanks for the inspiration, all! :)
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I've bought a Bento box as a result of reading this thread and can't wait to use it, and there are some great snack ideas in here which I wouldn't have thought of! Since I have coeliac and have to take a lunchbox with me any time I know I won't be able to get suitable food (which is often) the Bento box is a far nicer-looking, more convenient box than the crappy tupperware I've been using. I love the little silicone cupcake cases for keeping things seperate too, I'm going to buy a couple of them. Thanks for the inspiration, all! :)

More converts! More MORE!

*cackles maniacally*
    qoweoarxgtll.gif
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I got home late last night, so I didn't get a chance to make my Bento, but I got the next best thing. I can get a sashi-don box which is pretty close to a bento. Its what I usually get if I forget or didn't have time to make my bento, and I keep meaning to take a pic, but usually demolish most of it before I remember.
    w87pymex66le.jpg
    It has salmon sashimi, a small amount of salad, pickled ginger, pickled cucumber (the red stuff in the bottom right corner), wasabi, tofu, aburaage (fried tofu skin), and rice with some shredded wakame. I add some soy or ponzu sauce and oui la! Mock bento lunch!
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

More converts! More MORE!

*cackles maniacally*
    qoweoarxgtll.gif

I have been to other threads(official nightshift, what does your food look like(pictures)). We have a LOT of lurkers guys...they are buying and using bentos. World Domination is imminent.
  • satansees
    satansees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I got home late last night, so I didn't get a chance to make my Bento, but I got the next best thing. I can get a sashi-don box which is pretty close to a bento. Its what I usually get if I forget or didn't have time to make my bento, and I keep meaning to take a pic, but usually demolish most of it before I remember.
    w87pymex66le.jpg
    It has salmon sashimi, a small amount of salad, pickled ginger, pickled cucumber (the red stuff in the bottom right corner), wasabi, tofu, aburaage (fried tofu skin), and rice with some shredded wakame. I add some soy or ponzu sauce and oui la! Mock bento lunch!
    Is that a bought thing? WOW. If I don't make lunch all I can buy is a very sad looking soggy tuna sandwich :(
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    w87pymex66le.jpg

That looks so good! If I don't pack a lunch, I am pretty much stuck with Subway.
  • sagj
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    w87pymex66le.jpg

That looks so good! If I don't pack a lunch, I am pretty much stuck with Subway.

I can eat for free at my work cafeteria but I still tend to bring my lunch, if that says anything about the food. :(
  • mangrothian
    Options
    @satansees @narcissora food like this is one of the reasons I love living in Melbourne. The quality and variety of the food is fantastic here. That box is from a little japanese restaurant called dondons. They have about 9 things on the menu, you can't change anything, and once you order your food, you're walking away with it in under a minute. It's also cheaper and nicer then the standard soggy salad and fried food that the cafe in my office building has.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    GUYS!!! My new bento box is supposed to arrive TODAY!!! I'm so excited!!! This could quite possibly be the last Tupperware bento I ever make!

cxxtxeht1d7p.jpg

I took Sagj's advice on chopping up the salad this time - great idea! The little bit of salad in there actually takes up the entire container before it is chopped up.

In this bento: kale and quinoa salad from Trader Joe's; roast beef; whole wheat penne with pasta sauce; banana with yogurt and chopped pecans (the yogurt keeps the banana from getting icky - or it keeps you from seeing the ickyness so you will never even know. Don't think - just eat); and tomato. Under 500 calories again. Woot!
  • sagj
    edited April 2015
    Options
    coyl81ied99c.jpg

I have yoga teacher training again tonight so I packed two, count 'em, two bentos for today. They both basically have the same thing (I had no time this morning to be creative). Above is a regular flat container with the little flower cups. This picture was after traveling to work, it really kept it together and didn't go flying. Yi ha! (I'm in the southwest US, I think I'm allowed to Yi Ha occasionally ;) )

Basically it is my same kale salad from before with ham, blueberries, almonds, and tomatoes. Served with lemon herb dressing (had no time to make a scratch dressing, bottled all the way today!)

Happy Tuesday!
  • sagj
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    GUYS!!! My new bento box is supposed to arrive TODAY!!! I'm so excited!!! This could quite possibly be the last Tupperware bento I ever make!

cxxtxeht1d7p.jpg

I took Sagj's advice on chopping up the salad this time - great idea! The little bit of salad in there actually takes up the entire container before it is chopped up.

In this bento: kale and quinoa salad from Trader Joe's; roast beef; whole wheat penne with pasta sauce; banana with yogurt and chopped pecans (the yogurt keeps the banana from getting icky - or it keeps you from seeing the ickyness so you will never even know. Don't think - just eat); and tomato. Under 500 calories again. Woot!

Yeay! I'm glad that worked out on the salad. I like that idea with the bananas and yogurt, practical and delicious! I'm excited to see the new bento box too!