Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    Ugh, late night last night. I put together something I can much on little by little today when and if I feel like eating.

Hangover bento: kale and spinach balls; mukimame; peas; almonds; babybel light; bananas with Greek yogurt and cinnamon; pineapple; unsweetened applesauce; ibuprofen

This is epic and made me smile. Thank you. :smile:
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Ugh, late night last night. I put together something I can much on little by little today when and if I feel like eating.

enm497310npo.jpg

Hangover bento: kale and spinach balls; mukimame; peas; almonds; babybel light; bananas with Greek yogurt and cinnamon; pineapple; unsweetened applesauce; ibuprofen

mukimame! I learnt a new word!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options

enm497310npo.jpg

Me too! No bentos until next week. I am going to meal plan, prep/freeze things so I have more opts. I think this week sometime I will make a lunch for kids and I too!!
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Heehee!

Story time: I moved to Buffalo about four years ago, and I had a hankerin' for some shelled edamame. Our grocery store is Wegmans, and they have this app that lets you put a shopping list together, shows you how much it will all cost, and organizes your list in the order that you will find it while walking through the store. It gives you isle numbers and everything. Anyway, I digress...

I looked up "shelled edamame" in the app, and nothing came up. Then I tried "shelled soybeans" to no avail. I finally decided to just browse the freezer section to see if they had something that for some reason wasn't in the app... And there it was, in the freezer section, Wegmans own brand, labeled mukimame. I learned a new word that day too :)
  • Narcissora
    edited April 2015
    Options
    We had breakfast for dinner last night, so I used the leftovers for a "breakfast for lunch" bento. I am so excited to eat this one!
    yobqst75608r.jpg
    Hash browns with peppers and onions; turkey sausage links; boiled egg; pineapple; a cut up eggo waffle; and a little container of syrup for dipping.

I have so many ideas for breakfast for lunch bentos, but there is only so much space in the box and only so many calories that I can handle in a single meal... I will have to make another one soon using my other ideas :)
  • mangrothian
    edited April 2015
    Options
    We had breakfast for dinner last night, so I used the leftovers for a "breakfast for lunch" bento. I am so excited to eat this one!

Hash browns with peppers and onions; turkey sausage links; boiled egg; pineapple; a cut up eggo waffle; and a little container of syrup for dipping.

I have so many ideas for breakfast for lunch bentos, but there is only so much space in the box and only so many calories that I can handle in a single meal... I will have to make another one soon using my other ideas :)

I love having brinner! bacon and scrambled eggs on toast with OJ. omnomnomnom
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    mupmb0ve2uz0.jpg
    Lickity split bento (I almost skipped this morning to sleep in but instead did a quick bento AND slept in bwahahaha!)

Layer one: Green chile pork sausage, grapes, blueberries, almonds, tomatoes, and broccoli
    Layer two: Mushrooms and kale salad with sunflower seeds and gorgonzola. Leftover honey mustard dressing from yesterday (ain't nobody got time to make more dressing!)

Happy Friday all!
  • srschaffer1
    srschaffer1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @mangrothian You should turn this into a Bento group so people can share their pictures of their bentos and talk about them!

You know, I had thought about that, but I find my alerts don't work with posts I've bookmarked that are from the groups I'm in, so it kinda put me off making one. I get excited every time I see a string of posts pop up in my notifications for this thread.

Ha ha! Maybe they can do an update for that cause this would be an awesome group! Also! Got my Just Bento book back and finallu got to actually look at it and the JustBento website, combined them together and then making up my own ideas should be fun!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone!
    kee9ow0ejgem.jpg
    I kinda vegged out on Sunday, and it hit 9:30pm and I realised I hadn't made my Monday bento yet :( So I made one of my "done in 10 mins or less" bentos.

- Ginger beef
    - Two mini hambaagu
    - Rice with wakame furikake and some umeboshi
    - Assorted veg
    Totals approx. 550Cal

In case anyone wonders about a fully cooked 10 mins or less bento, this is my schedule, and it shows how helpful it is to have a frozen stash:
    - Put a small saucepan of water on to boil (one with a lid to heat faster if possible, and you only need a couple of inches of water)
    - Grab frozen protein and rice out of the freezer
    - Put rice and frozen pre-cooked protein in microwave for 2 minutes.
    - Pull veg for the lunch out of the fridge and start cutting into small pieces
    - Check stuff in microwave, flip packets over and microwave for 1 minute.
    - Finish chopping veg. Put in water as soon as it's boiling for 2-3 minutes (I like my veg firm, so I do 2)
    - Take out rice and meat from microwave.
    - Put the rice in the bento box, add seasoning and mix, then squish to the side of the box. (at about 5 minutes now)
    - Place protein in silicone cup or appropriate section of box.
    - Take veg out and drain (toss the veg around in your colander to get rid of excess steam / water)
    - place veg in box (honestly, I do this messily for the bottom half and place things only on the top to make it look pretty)
    - Go do your thing. When its cooled to the point that the box is only lukewarm to touch, put on the lid and refrigerate it for the morning.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I don't have a bento today, but I have leftover potato soup! I'm finally feeling better after more than a week of struggling to breathe, and I just know it was the potato soup I made yesterday :3 The drugs do nothing; it's all the potato soup.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I don't have a bento today, but I have leftover potato soup! I'm finally feeling better after more than a week of struggling to breathe, and I just know it was the potato soup I made yesterday :3 The drugs do nothing; it's all the potato soup.

Darned right it's the soup! It works even better if someone else prepares the soup. Glad to hear you're feeling better. I'll post today's bento once I figure out how to get the pictures out of my phone!

• SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Lunch bento, pork dumplings, strawberries, rice w/ furikake seasoning, edamame & more strawberries. 440 Cals. Snack bento, cucumbers & carrots with an egg shaped egg, edamame popped chips and a green tea thing, 234 cals for both snacks.

6qq2mwad5ctc.jpg
    jdflk1v9l590.jpg
  • Narcissora
    Options
    with an egg shaped egg

I lol'd.

Thanks for this. It's been a rough day. I needed a laugh :)
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    1qeedyly8d74.jpg
    Italian bento (made the night before):

Layer 1: Cooked chicken thighs, mixed olives, red grapes, raspberries, tomatoes
    Layer 2: Mini mozzarella balls, kale salad with roasted tomatoes, pepperoni and hard boiled egg. Served with tomato basil dressing

PS I've had a crush on your snack box SpecialKitty! So cute :)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Alright, you people win. I'm in for the bento. I have NO idea where to start or what to buy but I'm sold.

I keep seeing these gem wraps. I had to look them up and see that Trader Joe's sells them. In what aisle do you find them. I shop that store religiously and have never noticed them. What do they taste like? Is it like eating savory fruit leather?

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    with an egg shaped egg
    I lol'd.

I also lol'd
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Lunch bento, pork dumplings, strawberries, rice w/ furikake seasoning, edamame & more strawberries. 440 Cals. Snack bento, cucumbers & carrots with an egg shaped egg, edamame popped chips and a green tea thing, 234 cals for both snacks.

An egg shaped egg? Blasphemous! Go and cut some bunny ears into it right now!
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    Alright, you people win. I'm in for the bento. I have NO idea where to start or what to buy but I'm sold.

I keep seeing these gem wraps. I had to look them up and see that Trader Joe's sells them. In what aisle do you find them. I shop that store religiously and have never noticed them. What do they taste like? Is it like eating savory fruit leather?

I'll give you my experience. I ordered mine on Amazon (carrot flavor). They definitely LOOK like fruit leather. You peel them off a sheet of plastic and everything. I wrapped turkey, cheese and avocado in them like a jelly roll. Once I left them sit, they softened up to a kind of silky texture. They tasted just like carrots and made a nice flavor addition to the wrap. Where my wrap got a bit wet, the roll kind of disintegrated a bit, but the wrap still held firm. I would recommend to try them, they weren't that expensive, and the calorie saving can't be beat.

Oh! Welcome to the dark side our new friend!

• SpecialKitty7
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Narcissora , @PixieGoddess @mangrothian, sorry, I got lazy on the eggs this week, I'll do better (hangs head in shame) <3o:)
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »

Yes, it is like a fruit leather with spice or savory taste. I have never seen them at Trader Joes, I get them at Wegmans or the healthfood store. They are in different places in different stores but look at Gluten Free aisles.
    There is also a coconut wrap if anyone is interested. julianbakery.com/paleo-product/paleo-wraps/