Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Talkradio wrote: »
    Confession: I have always wanted to buy ONE car brand new. I know it doesn't make economic sense, but I still wanted to. The confession is that we did that last September, a 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage. 100 miles on it. I'm ticked off because we bought the car as a commuter car for my new job - it gets almost 50 miles to the gallon. But it has zero cool factor. It is a stick shift and has no luxury features. That is NOT what I planned on wasting my one new car buy on.

Confession: I judge people who don't know how to drive a stick shift. I feel internally smug and superior towards them.

My husband has tried to teach me so many times, and I just cannot do it. I'm fine once I get going, even pretty decent with the clutch/gas/shifting dance, but it's the getting going out of a complete stop that I can't master. I just gave up. I will NEVER need to know how to drive a manual car and if I do, I can get by, but that would only be necessary if my husband has already become a zombie and I've had to put him down.

We'll team up in the Zombie apocalypse. I'll drive if it's a stick.

Sounds good! What will my job be?! I don't want to be zombie bait. I am a pretty good shot and I think I could wield a mean samurai sword.

I'm going to ask for one for Christmas! :smiley:

ETA: Ooh, or a crossbow!

I have a compound bow already!! Can I team up? :#

I don't have any weapons, but I can bring some Dr Pepper :smiley:
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    It is petty and small of me, but I enjoy going back to my hometown for events (one is coming up in 3 weeks). I take an unhealthy, evil delight in seeing how the worm has turned in the past 25 years. >:)

(Not that I even think about my hometown unless I have to go back for a social function. Then, it's made utterly bearable with thoughts of, well. . .pure cattiness.)

Along the same lines. While we were out and about a few weeks ago, I saw a girl I went to high school with. She was always prettier, more popular, wealthier, blah, blah, blah. I looked like crap, it was a Saturday and we were running errands so I wasn't trying to impress anyone, so I made sure she didn't see me. Anywho, my husband saw her and said, "Hey, didn't you go to school with her?!" I said, "Yeah, I did her name is Mandy."

And this is why I love this man...

He says, "Wow! She looks REALLY old! Way older than you!"

I wanted to make out with him right there in the middle of the candy store!

• MoHousdon
    Options
    Confession: I have always wanted to buy ONE car brand new. I know it doesn't make economic sense, but I still wanted to. The confession is that we did that last September, a 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage. 100 miles on it. I'm ticked off because we bought the car as a commuter car for my new job - it gets almost 50 miles to the gallon. But it has zero cool factor. It is a stick shift and has no luxury features. That is NOT what I planned on wasting my one new car buy on.

Confession: I judge people who don't know how to drive a stick shift. I feel internally smug and superior towards them.

My husband has tried to teach me so many times, and I just cannot do it. I'm fine once I get going, even pretty decent with the clutch/gas/shifting dance, but it's the getting going out of a complete stop that I can't master. I just gave up. I will NEVER need to know how to drive a manual car and if I do, I can get by, but that would only be necessary if my husband has already become a zombie and I've had to put him down.

Sounds good! What will my job be?! I don't want to be zombie bait. I am a pretty good shot and I think I could wield a mean samurai sword.

ShibaEars wrote: »

YES to both of you! Who's in for bringing the Quest Bars and kettle cooked chips?!

• brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

My first husband couldn't drive a stick to save his life (still can't). I remember this one time we were moving from city to city and the only Uhaul truck they had available was a 24ft stick…we had reserved the 19' automatic. I drove it around, backed it in wherever we needed to go, all while he sat in the passenger seat pouting because he couldn't drive the big truck. I still get giggly and smug when I think about it. :D
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,466 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

We got two brand new cars, courtesy (sort of) of a car wreck I had. The wreck occurred in my husband's car (not my fault), so that had to be replaced and given that we got good value in the writeoff, we were able to pony up the remainder in cash for a brand new, super unfancy 4-cyclinder Hyundai Sonata (2008). Then, after a couple years of dealing with crap, and in conjunction with me agreeing to never seek further medical expenses, we got a very nice payout from our insurance company due to our uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Had to go to mediation and play hardball, but it was worth it. At that point we upgraded my ooooold minivan (bought used in 2003), for a nicer new Honda Odyssey (a 2009 model), which seats 8 (our family of 6 plus two, this was a big deal to me). That one actually turned out to be a lemon of sorts and 8-9 months later Honda replaced it for us, and they no longer had ANY 2009's in the continental US in the color we had (and I refused to budge on this), so we got a 2010.

DSCN1785.jpg
    DSCN1783.jpg

And bonus picture: The damage to me!

DSCN1791.jpg

• crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options

YES to both of you! Who's in for bringing the Quest Bars and kettle cooked chips?!

I got that!!
  • MoHousdon
    Options

We got two brand new cars, courtesy (sort of) of a car wreck I had. The wreck occurred in my husband's car (not my fault), so that had to be replaced and given that we got good value in the writeoff, we were able to pony up the remainder in cash for a brand new, super unfancy 4-cyclinder Hyundai Sonata (2008). Then, after a couple years of dealing with crap, and in conjunction with me agreeing to never seek further medical expenses, we got a very nice payout from our insurance company due to our uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Had to go to mediation and play hardball, but it was worth it. At that point we upgraded my ooooold minivan (bought used in 2003), for a nicer new Honda Odyssey (a 2009 model), which seats 8 (our family of 6 plus two, this was a big deal to me). That one actually turned out to be a lemon of sorts and 8-9 months later Honda replaced it for us, and they no longer had ANY 2009's in the continental US in the color we had (and I refused to budge on this), so we got a 2010.

DSCN1785.jpg
    DSCN1783.jpg

DSCN1791.jpg

@nicsflyingcircus that looks awful! I'm glad you're alright. My husbands works in the body shop industry so he sees stuff like this all the time, but that is a serious, SERIOUS accident. I'm glad you finally got compensated correctly for all you went through.

• MoHousdon
    Options

I got that!!

SWEET!!! I live in KS and @quiksylver296 lives in Idaho, where should we meet up? Nebraska, South Dakota?

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Yes, and yes. You guys will have to shoot out the back windows. If we're fighting zombies, we will totally need lots of carbs for energy!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

DSCN1785.jpg
    DSCN1783.jpg

DSCN1791.jpg

@nicsflyingcircus that looks awful! I'm glad you're alright. My husbands works in the body shop industry so he sees stuff like this all the time, but that is a serious, SERIOUS accident. I'm glad you finally got compensated correctly for all you went through.

It was pretty serious. 30% of people who suffer the type/grade of injury I did actually end up with amputations.

Confession: I have so much titanium in my leg, that I set off metal detectors! I call it my bionic leg.

• quiksylver296
    Options

I got that!!

SWEET!!! I live in KS and @quiksylver296 lives in Idaho, where should we meet up? Nebraska, South Dakota?

South Dakota - Mt. Rushmore seems like a good spot
  • crosbylee
    Options

I got that!!

I will drive straight up from Texas! pick you up in KS!
  • quiksylver296
    Options

I got that!!

I have guns, ammo, and usually at least 4 boxes of Quest bars. :p
  • crosbylee
    Options

I got that!!

I will have my bow, guns and ammo and lots of Kettle chips!
  • quiksylver296
    edited April 2015
    Options

I got that!!

I may know where to find an awesome, tricked out Armored Personnel Carrier. I would have to steal it, but all is forgiven in a Zombie apocalypse, right?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

I got that!!

I may know where to find an awesome, tricked out Armored Personnel Carrier. I would have to steal it, but all is forgiven in a Zombie apocalypse, right?

If that doesn't work, I live about a half hour from the Humvee factory.
  • almondbutterbay
    almondbutterbay Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I start my new job on Wednesday and I'm super excited cause all I've done the last four months is exercise, try to find a job, and watch tv/read.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options

JPW1990 wrote: »

My husband is a mechanic. He has worked in the past with other mechanics who don't know how to drive a stick. They need someone else to pull them in and out of the garage for them. THOSE are the ones I judge. Those, and the ones who sign up for The Amazing Race without learning to drive one first.

^^^^I do this, too! I learned to drive in a stick, and though we have automatics now, my kids WILL learn to drive in a stick.

Me too! I learned to drive a stick shift when I was about 19. I got a really good deal on one and had to have someone else drive it home for me. My mom took me out that night and taught me how to drive it. My kids will definitely learn to drive one.
  • ladybuggnorris
    ladybuggnorris Posts: 276 Member
    Options

I got that!!

I would offer to join, but I will be dead. I am Canadian and have never fired a gun in my life!
  • ladybuggnorris
    ladybuggnorris Posts: 276 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    :(