The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    There was this guy the other day at work who told me eating is "all about calories in calories out. It doesn't matter about what kind of food it is". You can feed your body anything and your body "is smart enough to sort all these things out".

I took everything within me not to let my jaw drop on the floor. Esp when he subsequently complained about not being able to ever get rid of his pot belly and complaining about taking all his medications for his chronic illnesses.

Office broscience. Sometimes scary.

Oh but he's right! CI VS CO wins every time, so you should pick your jaw off the floor and wipe it off. Now if you want to talk nutrition that is a different subject all together.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    seric2000 wrote: »
    KnM0107 wrote: »
    I am so hoping this is not real. I just, I can't even...

She's is real...real insane. We work in a hospital, by the way.

:o:o
    Here, I made an astrology dietary restrictions for y'all:

Aries: Can only eat food they've won in a street fight.
    Taurus: Can only eat animal proteins from animals that do not exceed 35mph at full speed.
    Gemini: Can only eat food scavenged from self-help group craft tables.
    Cancer: Can only eat food from neglected cans and boxes in the back of the very top shelf in the kitchen.
    Leo: Can only eat foods that can be arranged into a self-portrait.
    Virgo: Can only eat foods that can slide easily through the chute under the door.
    Libra: Can only eat foods that compliment their accessories.
    Scorpio: Can only eat foods that can hold their own in a staring match.
    Sagittarius: Can only eat foods from countries they cannot pronounce.
    Capricorn: Can only eat foods that their employer agrees to write off as a tax deduction.
    Aquarius: Can only eat foods that make it through their teleportation device without fusing to a nasty housefly.
    Pisces: Can only eat foods that remind them of that time their mother forgot to pick them up from soccer practice.

Never knew this! Where have I been lol
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    So I'm a Pisces, hubby is a Scorpio, kids are 2 Libra's and 1 Taurus plus the dog is a Sagittarius!(does he count?) lol Food nightmare! Love this thread so much! <3
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    A couple of my friends are currently eating per their blood type.

My blood seems to be red today?! I think I should lay off the veggie juice and red-flavored Kool Aid. I'm currently doing a Primary Colors diet, so I need to up my consumption of blue and yellow foods to balance it all out.

It's important to have a balanced diet.

Lmao. That made my morning. Thank you.

• adamitri
    Options
    Capricorn: Can only eat foods that their employer agrees to write off as a tax deduction.

So nothing, basically I'm going to starve to death.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »

I'm still trying to figure out how to write off Belgian chocolate
  • adamitri
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    adamitri wrote: »

I'm still trying to figure out how to write off Belgian chocolate

I work for non profit, everything we earn is coveted.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Here are my two favorites!
    1. Dark urine is not a sign of dehydration, it's a sign that your kidneys are working to reabsorb the water your body needs! Huh? So why is it when a doctor thinks you are dehydrated one of the first things checked is the color of your urine. :*

2. Blending fruits and veggies into a smoothie destroys the fiber and nutrients mainly because of the heat generated during the blending process kills the nutrient and the act of blending kills the fiber. That must be one high-powered blender!!! :s
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who eats for her blood type and it works for her. That said, her family is not so thrilled with this! I call them whenever I am cooking large amounts of meat to come over for dinner! lol We had extra bacon left from brunch one day when their daughter came to play with my kids! The Bacon kept disappearing! She was devouring it! If a food style works for you fine but please feed your family! I pick on her for it and she is trying to cook more for them than just herself! ; )
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Here are my two favorites!
    1. Dark urine is not a sign of dehydration, it's a sign that your kidneys are working to reabsorb the water your body needs! Huh? So why is it when a doctor thinks you are dehydrated one of the first things checked is the color of your urine. :*

2. Blending fruits and veggies into a smoothie destroys the fiber and nutrients mainly because of the heat generated during the blending process kills the nutrient and the act of blending kills the fiber. That must be one high-powered blender!!! :s

I doubt #2 is anywhere remotely true, but I have a high-powered blender (BlendTec) that will "cook" soup on the highest settings. Seriously, warm enough to eat.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, how had I never looked into the blood type diet. It's like the next best thing to a zodiac diet (up for this, btw).
    As a Type B, you carry the genetic potential for great malleability and the ability to thrive in changeable conditions.... At the same time, it can be extremely challenging to balance two poles and Type B's tend to be highly sensitive to the effects of slipping out of balance.

For Type Bs the biggest factors in weight gain are corn, wheat, buckwheat, lentils, tomatoes, peanuts and sesame seeds.... Another very common food that Type Bs should avoid is chicken. Chicken contains a Blood Type B agglutinating lectin in its muscle tissue.... Dr. D'Adamo suggests that you wean yourself away from chicken and replace them with highly beneficial foods such as goat, lamb, mutton, rabbit and venison. Other foods that encourage weight loss are green vegetables, eggs, beneficial meats, and low fat dairy. When the toxic foods are avoided and replaced with beneficial foods, Blood Type Bs are very successful in controlling their weight.

most Blood Type B's often described themselves in ways related to the following characteristics: subjective, easygoing, creative, original and flexible. In another study, Type B's scored significantly higher on "intuiting," indicating a preference or sixth sense information; and they scored high on the "intuiting/feeling" combination, indicating that they tend to be insightful, mystical, idealistic, creative, globally-oriented, people-oriented and good at imagining.... Perhaps the nomadic life of the steppes contributed to long hours given over to talk as well as ample time for meditation and reflection.

So hilarious.

I'm not 100% sure of my blood type (I know I should know) but I certainly hope I am not Type B. I love chicken! (Provided I believed in eating this way that is)
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Love all these!!! I don't have co-workers stories to share as I don't HAVE co-workers. Of my two boses, one I've never seen actually eat (though I am sure he does) and the other eats a lot of pizza, thai food and McDonalds.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    An oldie but a goodie, from a friend. "I don't eat after 7:00, because nighttime calorie burn should be only stored energy."

Or something like that.

o.O
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    An oldie but a goodie, from a friend. "I don't eat after 7:00, because nighttime calorie burn should be only stored energy."

Or something like that.

o.O

Well duh. Cause obviously our bodies completely shut down and our metabolisms go to sleep just like we do.

:| smh
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    There was this guy the other day at work who told me eating is "all about calories in calories out. It doesn't matter about what kind of food it is". You can feed your body anything and your body "is smart enough to sort all these things out".

I took everything within me not to let my jaw drop on the floor. Esp when he subsequently complained about not being able to ever get rid of his pot belly and complaining about taking all his medications for his chronic illnesses.

Office broscience. Sometimes scary.

Was that before or after you threw out the office candy?

You must be a blast at the company Holiday Party.

Oh, wait, you just make crap up and post it on the internet. So this story never happened anyway.

Moving along....

Troll-GIF.gif

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Does laughing at these count as cardio? My abs hurt.
  • Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Here, I made an astrology dietary restrictions for y'all:

Aries: Can only eat food they've won in a street fight.
    Taurus: Can only eat animal proteins from animals that do not exceed 35mph at full speed.
    Gemini: Can only eat food scavenged from self-help group craft tables.
    Cancer: Can only eat food from neglected cans and boxes in the back of the very top shelf in the kitchen.
    Leo: Can only eat foods that can be arranged into a self-portrait.
    Virgo: Can only eat foods that can slide easily through the chute under the door.
    Libra: Can only eat foods that compliment their accessories.
    Scorpio: Can only eat foods that can hold their own in a staring match.
    Sagittarius: Can only eat foods from countries they cannot pronounce.
    Aquarius: Can only eat foods that make it through their teleportation device without fusing to a nasty housefly.
    Pisces: Can only eat foods that remind them of that time their mother forgot to pick them up from soccer practice.

So for a Gemini like me, it's... uh, macaroni and paste? And possibly raw potatoes (for printing!). But but but DEM EBUL CARBZ! :scream: Pretty sure sequins and yarn are nothing but carbs, too. How am I supposed to meet my protein macro, huh? Can I take down another scavenger or is that cheating?
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Something that has always boggled my mind, can someone explain the concept behind ordering a large Big Mac value meal and a diet coke?

She told me it was to save on cals...
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    giusa wrote: »
    Something that has always boggled my mind, can someone explain the concept behind ordering a large Big Mac value meal and a diet coke?

ooh ooh, I can answer this one! Because if I were to eat that Big Mac and fries I'd still be making them work in my calorie count for the day, and I wouldn't want to waste another 200+ of them on a fizzy drink, lol. Those cals could keep me from going over for the day.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    giusa wrote: »

She told me it was to save on cals :s

140 calories. Sounds like the cornerstone of IIFYM.