Magnificant Mama (Closed Group) May 2011

Options

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Name: Bethe

Age: 36 (SHHH don't tell anyone, ah who am I kidding, my gray hairs are starting to give it away :sad: )

Children: Eden (9), Lauryn (6), Brooks (2), and Wade born April 9th, 2011

Live in: NW Indiana

Hobbies: Crocheting and reading (when I find the time)

Where in NW Indiana are you from? My mom grew up in northern IN and her whole family still lives there so we went a lot growing up. Nappanee/Wakarusa area.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    :laugh: LOL at "pee hole." :tongue:
  • mwilson1018
    mwilson1018 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Ok you Magnificent mamas...Question! This may be TM, but hey after all we've shared it shouldn't be a surprise...LOL

I go back for my 6 week checkup (well, actually it's only 5 weeks) tomorrow, but I want to know if what I'm seeing/feeling is normal. I tore a little bit while delivering Annabelle and I got some stitches. Where I was stitched (perineum) feels pretty hard down there and is still raised a bit. Is that normal for it to be hard like that...could it be scar tissue or something? Will that go down? Also, I'm having a little bit of discomfort around the other opening (pee hole? lol goodness what a lack of better words!!!). Any ideas?

I have torn with all of my babies and to me what you are feeling all sounds normal. I go in for my checkup tomorrow too. Hope it all goes well for you! I am sure it will.

Any word on the work dilemma?

Nope, not yet. I didn't call the doctor because I felt like she wasn't going to release me without checking me out first, and I couldn't get there any earlier than tomorrow. So I'll just see what she says and we will go from there. If you think what I'm experiencing is normal, she will most likely release me and then I'll be going to work Tuesday and Wednesday. My mom is coming to watch Annabelle, so I know she'll be in good hands. I just don't know if I can leave her... :sad: :laugh:
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Name: Bethe

Age: 36 (SHHH don't tell anyone, ah who am I kidding, my gray hairs are starting to give it away :sad: )

Children: Eden (9), Lauryn (6), Brooks (2), and Wade born April 9th, 2011

Live in: NW Indiana

Hobbies: Crocheting and reading (when I find the time)

Where in NW Indiana are you from? My mom grew up in northern IN and her whole family still lives there so we went a lot growing up. Nappanee/Wakarusa area.

We live in Valparaiso (50 min outside Chicago)
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Name: Jillian

Children: Aubrey (April 28, 2011)

Live in: Dallas/ Ft Worth, Texas

Hobbies: hiking, camping, trail running (with the dogs), & ordering my husband around :wink:
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Megan-not sure of the popping up, I actually tore quite a bit because she flew out and it is still quite tender, it burned/stung when my Dr examined me down there 5 weeks pp. The doctor doesn’t tell you a whole lot but they kept asking about bc method be prepared. I got on the mini pill since my tubes didn’t get tied with the hernia. Hubby is getting snipped over the summer woohoo no surgery for me.

Bethe- I have plenty of grays, then again my oldest is 7 :laugh:
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sheri and Racheal. I just wish I would have tried to get healthier before my wedding. Hubby always made it clear that he loved me no matter what weight I was at but I was at my heaviest when we got married, now I walk past my wedding photos on the wall and cringe at how much heavier was. Oh well, such is life I guess.

Carina – I really miss going to Zumba class. I was so tired and sick for the first trimester I couldn’t do anything. I’m sure if I started again now I’d die. :laugh:

Sheri – so far MFP is the only thing that has worked for me. It’s good to be able to “see” what I’m putting into my body. I did WW a few years ago but I had a hard time figuring out points, looking at calories works much better for me.

Lynn – it’s funny you mentioned “stalkers” because I still stalk the TTC group. I was a part of that thread for a long a time and I miss them but I feel bad if I were to post there with my baby ticker when all they want is to get pregnant.

Megan – hope you have a good appointment, sorry no advice from me on that topic just yet!

Bethe – I’ve had gray hair since I was 22…SHHHHHH! :laugh:

If I’m being completely honest I’m not logging my food most days, although today I did. I figure I eat when I’m hungry, try to make healthy choices and be as active as possible. As long as I keep doing that I think I’m going in the right direction.
  • dragonfly74
    Options
    Oh thanks guys, I cannot believe what has happened to my head lately. I am light haired but these grays are creeping in more and more. Not sure what to do at this time. I grow my hair out to donate it (has to be 10 inches at a time) and I don't believe it is to be colored or highlighted in order to donate (have donated over 30 inches already), but really don't want to go gray quite this early.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks guys, I cannot believe what has happened to my head lately. I am light haired but these grays are creeping in more and more. Not sure what to do at this time. I grow my hair out to donate it (has to be 10 inches at a time) and I don't believe it is to be colored or highlighted in order to donate (have donated over 30 inches already), but really don't want to go gray quite this early.

You can donate colored hair to Locks of Love. I dye mine (well, when I'm not pregnant) and I donated last year. However, Locks of Love does not accept bleached hair (so highlights may not be okay). http://www.locksoflove.org/faq.html#Aa10 I dye my hair darker than my natural color so I don't have to worry about bleach.

I've noticed all kinds of grey & white hairs popping up lately now that I'm not dying my hair. :noway: Yikes!
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Grrr... I have been getting white hair also! I found my first one at age 18. I think that is so unfair.

So those of you who have had babies, what is your recommendation, episiotomy or a natural tear? There's such controversy on that matter. I am just curious because it's a question on the birth plan I am looking at.
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options

If I’m being completely honest I’m not logging my food most days, although today I did. I figure I eat when I’m hungry, try to make healthy choices and be as active as possible. As long as I keep doing that I think I’m going in the right direction.

I am doing the exact same thing... I feel bad about it but I probably haven't logged my food for about 16 weeks!
  • Rachickidee
    Options
    I haven't logged my food either for quite a while, I am just keeping more of a mental track of what I am eating.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I havn't been logging either ladies. When I accepted that I was going to get sick every day I stopped. I just don't even know how to do it with puking. After these babies come we will have to start up again big time.

No grey hairs yet... but its coming I am sure.
  • AMummysLife
    AMummysLife Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Little Spy - wow what a weight loss journey! 82 pounds is a really good effort hun. Well done!

Danielle - I know all about the depo shot and weight gain. I hated the amount of weight I would get while on it.

Sheri - I'm doing my best to have lots of little meals instead of big ones but sometimes the wrong food sets me off. Fruit and veges seem to be the safest bet for me at the moment.

Lynn - good idea on the intro thing. Here's mine:

Name: Patricia

Children: Celine (3yrs - born 12 Dec 2007), Unknown sex (due 31 Dec 2011)

Live in: Auckland, New Zealand

Hobbies: Family, Facebook, Sims 3

Megan - I had that with Celine. It does go down eventually and while occasionally you might swear you can still feel it but it won't actually be there anymore. As for the other end - it might just be the healing process that makes it sting a little or you might have a urine infection and need antibiotics. Did you have forceps? They can also cause uterus infections. check with your doctor though.

Bethe - I have grey hairs already.

Ron - I haven't bothered tracking food either. Too hard at the moment.
  • mwilson1018
    Options
    Grrr... I have been getting white hair also! I found my first one at age 18. I think that is so unfair.

So those of you who have had babies, what is your recommendation, episiotomy or a natural tear? There's such controversy on that matter. I am just curious because it's a question on the birth plan I am looking at.

My birthing class (the Bradley Method) advocates for a natural tear,...which is what I opted for. I put in my birth plan that I wanted coaching on how to push (when to, when not to) in order to help it not tear as much. I also did a lot of kegels exercises and squatting in order to help strengthen and stretch the perineum. You can also do a perineum massage (I didn't...). I've heard that a natural tear will heal much better, and your muscles down there will be stronger because of them. I've also heard that after an episiotomy the feeling down there during sex can be not as good because the muscles have been cut (and who wants that?? :laugh: ). I know there are pros and cons for each, but I prefered a natural tear. I had a 2nd degree tear, which I think was about half way between vaginal opening and rectum, which i've heard is quite normal. I haven't had any difficulties post partum with it.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

My birthing class (the Bradley Method) advocates for a natural tear,...which is what I opted for. I put in my birth plan that I wanted coaching on how to push (when to, when not to) in order to help it not tear as much. I also did a lot of kegels exercises and squatting in order to help strengthen and stretch the perineum. You can also do a perineum massage (I didn't...). I've heard that a natural tear will heal much better, and your muscles down there will be stronger because of them. I've also heard that after an episiotomy the feeling down there during sex can be not as good because the muscles have been cut (and who wants that?? :laugh: ). I know there are pros and cons for each, but I prefered a natural tear. I had a 2nd degree tear, which I think was about half way between vaginal opening and rectum, which i've heard is quite normal. I haven't had any difficulties post partum with it.

I have had both and prefer the tear, this time I actually tore from front to back and was quite sore but was pretty healed in a week and didnt have much pain after a couple of days. Had I listened to when to and when not to push I might not have gotten it so bad but I could not stop myself. I had to push and get her out, I have got to say that not having the epi this time around was the best thing. It did hurt and thats no joke but honestly it was nice to be able to get right up out of bed after having the baby and not have any of the effects of the epi. When I had my oldest I was crying in the middle of the night because I could not get my legs to go so I could walk over and pick up my crying baby. Also I have had lots of back pain for a few days following both epis. With my first it was quite scary because I felt really dizzy and weak when they were doing the epi and I passed out for a while. Woke up with lots of extra machines. I was getting the epi this time around when I started feeling faint again and told them nevermind I did not want to put myself through that again. It did work wonderfully with my second though so I guess it is hit and miss. You could get it and it may or may not work, however the stitching downstairs is a lot less painful when you do have the epi because the shot to "numb" you down there is painful in itself
  • mwilson1018
    Options

I have had both and prefer the tear, this time I actually tore from front to back and was quite sore but was pretty healed in a week and didnt have much pain after a couple of days. Had I listened to when to and when not to push I might not have gotten it so bad but I could not stop myself. I had to push and get her out, I have got to say that not having the epi this time around was the best thing. It did hurt and thats no joke but honestly it was nice to be able to get right up out of bed after having the baby and not have any of the effects of the epi. When I had my oldest I was crying in the middle of the night because I could not get my legs to go so I could walk over and pick up my crying baby. Also I have had lots of back pain for a few days following both epis. With my first it was quite scary because I felt really dizzy and weak when they were doing the epi and I passed out for a while. Woke up with lots of extra machines. I was getting the epi this time around when I started feeling faint again and told them nevermind I did not want to put myself through that again. It did work wonderfully with my second though so I guess it is hit and miss. You could get it and it may or may not work, however the stitching downstairs is a lot less painful when you do have the epi because the shot to "numb" you down there is painful in itself

I agree the shots to numb the area aren't that pleasant, but honestly it was the last thing on my mind when I was holding my baby for the first time! :love: The adrenaline of it all was probably taking over :smile:
  • dragonfly74
    Options

Never was offered an episisotomy, but tore each time, which sounds worse than it is. Natural is my vote.
  • dragonfly74
    Options
    however the stitching downstairs is a lot less painful when you do have the epi because the shot to "numb" you down there is painful in itself

That is so true! I went natural with my daughters and never liked the shot for stitching me up, but like Megan said, it was the last thing on my mind.
  • Rachickidee
    Options
    Thanks Megan, Sheri and Bethe, that was what I was leaning towards.