55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• almeracat
    almeracat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning I'm 54 years old and have had success in losing a 14 lbs on MFP. I'm as active as I can be swimming, dog walking plus have a fit bug to encourage me. I'm going through the menopause too and despite this felt quite motivated. In August last years father in law who has dementia came to live with us and that's when the scales started to talk to me in higher figures, I still tried to exercise but my calorie intact increased so there was no way I could lose any weight. Unfortunately November 2014 my mother was rushed to hospital with a brain tumour and other complications and is now coming towards the end of her life...another reason to comfort eat! For months I've thought what is the point of dieting but I've now given myself a swift kick up the backside and I'm trying to get back on track. I've now changed my daily calorie intake from 1,750 to 1,500 which is what I was at when I made a significant weight loss and wondered if any one else had made this change. I know a lot of the 50 +'s will be going through health problems with their parents but wondered if you can stay on the 'straight and narrow', lose weight and keep sane when you have these challenges. Xx
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    ukjanetm wrote: »
    Hello all - joined yesterday, 55, been working on losing weight since the end of February. Things were progressing pretty steadily at about 1 lb/week loss, but I've been completely stalled for the past 2-3 weeks. I do wonder if it is related to the fact that I took up a 'Couch to 5K' running program at about the same time. Although I take regular brisk walks, I'm now adding bursts of running/jogging into it. Wondering if I'm a) building up muscle, so still losing fat but it isn't being reflected on the scale, or b) not eating enough because of the additional calories burned. Anyway, my mother always told me it is easier to lose weight when you're young; wish I'd listened. :smile: But it can be done, I'm sure of that.

I think I've maybe shared this link before, so regulars please forgive the duplication, but here is a link to a couple of calculators that might help you figure out if you do need to adjust your calorie intake. The 1st calculator on the page figures Basal Metabolic Rate, just what you burn being you laying around in bed. :smile: The 2nd figures Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This helped me understand why a person would want to eat back at least some exercise calories, which never made sense to me before.
    http://dailyburn.com/life/health/how-to-calculate-bmr/
  • lucky192
    lucky192 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Jewls, I'm 53, lost 40 so far on my own. Joined MFP 2 months ago, and I'm also going through menopause. I have another 20 to 30 to go. Be patient. Read the blogs. I have learned a lot. You can do this. If you need to friend me, your more than welcome. Take care!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hello all - joined yesterday, 55, been working on losing weight since the end of February. Things were progressing pretty steadily at about 1 lb/week loss, but I've been completely stalled for the past 2-3 weeks. I do wonder if it is related to the fact that I took up a 'Couch to 5K' running program at about the same time. Although I take regular brisk walks, I'm now adding bursts of running/jogging into it. Wondering if I'm a) building up muscle, so still losing fat but it isn't being reflected on the scale, or b) not eating enough because of the additional calories burned. Anyway, my mother always told me it is easier to lose weight when you're young; wish I'd listened. :smile: But it can be done, I'm sure of that.

Hi, Ukjanetm. Welcome to the MFP forums and this thread. Don't worry about your stall. With the added exercise you're probably retaining water for muscle repair thus not showing any immediate loss. You can't built muscle while you're in a deficit but you will maintain the muscle mass that you have while losing weight if you're adding weight resistance exercise.

Check your measurements because sometimes you'll lose inches but no weight and other times you'll lose weight but no inches. Do make sure that you're eating enough exercise calories back to fuel your exercise. MFP builds in a calorie deficit when you input your stats (height, weight, age). Don't be overly aggressive by trying to lose 2lbs a week if you're not obese. Depending on your stats it might be more realistic to lose 1lb a week.

It is easier to lose weight when you're young but you can do it.

Best regards,

Trina
  • ukjanetm
    ukjanetm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »

Hi, Ukjanetm. Welcome to the MFP forums and this thread. Don't worry about your stall. With the added exercise you're probably retaining water for muscle repair thus not showing any immediate loss. You can't built muscle while you're in a deficit but you will maintain the muscle mass that you have while losing weight if you're adding weight resistance exercise.

Check your measurements because sometimes you'll lose inches but no weight and other times you'll lose weight but no inches. Do make sure that you're eating enough exercise calories back to fuel your exercise. MFP builds in a calorie deficit when you input your stats (height, weight, age). Don't be overly aggressive by trying to lose 2lbs a week if you're not obese. Depending on your stats it might be more realistic to lose 1lb a week.

It is easier to lose weight when you're young but you can do it.

Best regards,

Trina

Hi Trina - thank you, and Jewels211 above, for the kind words and helpful advice. Although I am obese (the 20 lb. goal I put in is just an interim one to keep me focused), I'm still only shooting for 1 lb. a week - although a greater loss rate wouldn't be turned down! I'm tracking more carefully, and shooting for eating my calorie allotment, rather than dropping too far into deficit. Hoping to see a change soon, and still committed to my other goal of running a 5K by the end of summer!

Thanks!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Someone on my newsfeed posted this: http://www.refusetoregain.com/2011/07/huckabee-eating-his-words-unfortunately-pancakes-too.html

This is an "old" blog but the blogger noted in the first paragraph that with Huckabee in the news, this blog gets attention. It talks about interviews given by Governor Huckabee when he had first lost weight (over 100 pounds) and his eventual regaining.

For some reason this blog made a big impression on me. I'd love if those of you who have successfully kept the weight off find the reasoning similar to your own, in relation to how you are managing to maintain your loss.

The last paragraph kind of sums it up:

The key to successful, permanent maintenance lies in a healthy respect for the damaging effects of the food that got you fat. It involves learning, planning, and never underestimating the power of our modern diet to take over. To avoid being overwhelmed again, each maintainer needs to build many walls of defense.

- See more at: http://www.refusetoregain.com/2011/07/huckabee-eating-his-words-unfortunately-pancakes-too.html #sthash.A9IUhKQM.dpuf

55835802.png
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    Someone on my newsfeed posted this: http://www.refusetoregain.com/2011/07/huckabee-eating-his-words-unfortunately-pancakes-too.html

This is an "old" blog but the blogger noted in the first paragraph that with Huckabee in the news, this blog gets attention. It talks about interviews given by Governor Huckabee when he had first lost weight (over 100 pounds) and his eventual regaining.

For some reason this blog made a big impression on me. I'd love if those of you who have successfully kept the weight off find the reasoning similar to your own, in relation to how you are managing to maintain your loss.

The key to successful, permanent maintenance lies in a healthy respect for the damaging effects of the food that got you fat. It involves learning, planning, and never underestimating the power of our modern diet to take over. To avoid being overwhelmed again, each maintainer needs to build many walls of defense.

- See more at: http://www.refusetoregain.com/2011/07/huckabee-eating-his-words-unfortunately-pancakes-too.html #sthash.A9IUhKQM.dpuf

55835802.png

I have only been maintaining for about 18 months. Statistics show that over 80% of people that lose the weight, gain it back (many people gain even more back) within 5 years. This is a very staggering statistic. So I am not in the elite group who have kept the weight off. I will share what has made me successful so far, for what it is worth. I have lost over 160#, over 1/2 of my body weight. I started MFP on 3/12/12 @ 290# morbidly obese and 60 years old. For me it is just constant vigilance. Logging everything I eat and drink and monitoring my weight. It has to be that way for me. While I am good now at estimating portion sizes, I will never be comfortable with not logging. It is a long road. Hopefully, I can be successful at keeping the weight off. One thing for sure, I am healthier than I have been in decades. I went from being out of breath walking up a flight of stairs, to a person that goes to the gym every day I can for at least an hour (my streak right now is I have been at the gym every single day since 2/2/15). If I can do this, most anyone with no existing medical issues can also. Age is just a number. It is not easy becoming healthier at any age, but we have to believe that we are worth it and use every effort to achieve our goal.
  • sodakat
    Options

55835802.png

I have only been maintaining for about 18 months. Statistics show that over 80% of people that lose the weight, gain it back (many people gain even more back) within 5 years. This is a very staggering statistic. So I am not in the elite group who have kept the weight off. I will share what has made me successful so far, for what it is worth. I have lost over 160#, over 1/2 of my body weight. I started MFP on 3/12/12 @ 290# morbidly obese and 60 years old. For me it is just constant vigilance. Logging everything I eat and drink and monitoring my weight. It has to be that way for me. While I am good now at estimating portion sizes, I will never be comfortable with not logging. It is a long road. Hopefully, I can be successful at keeping the weight off. One thing for sure, I am healthier than I have been in decades. I went from being out of breath walking up a flight of stairs, to a person that goes to the gym every day I can for at least an hour (my streak right now is I have been at the gym every single day since 2/2/15). If I can do this, most anyone with no existing medical issues can also. Age is just a number. It is not easy becoming healthier at any age, but we have to believe that we are worth it and use every effort to achieve our goal.

I read a lengthy review of the Refuse to Regain book and learned that she spent 7 pages talking about falling in love with exercise, compared to 1 page average on the other 11 steps of maintaining a weight loss. Clearly you agree that exercise/movement is vital. I don't think I've faced that fact enough.

Thanks so much for the details of how you are "doing it".

55835802.png

• sodakat
    Options
    Through that same (refuse to regain) blog/website I found something specific to us: http://www.refusetoregain.com/2015/03/controlling-weight-after-menopause-and-other-tips-for-the-over-50-life.html

I think this one is my current favorite:

7. Remake yourself every five years

Your time is more precious now and the way you fit in the world is different. Are you still wearing your hair the same way? Is your personal style a version of what you sported in 1982? Do you have some vague idea of wanting to learn Japanese that you've never acted on? After 50, we should be assessing our health, our style, and our goals more frequently. This is the creative part of the exercise. To avoid invisibility, we must be doing something that is stimulating and that stimulates those who know us. Don't be fearful. A nice part of being over 50 is that no one cares if you're outrageous.
    - See more at: http://www.refusetoregain.com/2015/03/controlling-weight-after-menopause-and-other-tips-for-the-over-50-life.html#sthash.rhhl7G9Q.dpuf
    -
    55835802.png
  • bonniepwest
    bonniepwest Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @sodakat. That is a good reminder. That's why I don't have tattoos. I don't like anything I liked when I was 19! I personally like being older (except for the aches and pains.)
  • jeanlake
    jeanlake Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thank you, sodakat, for the 'refuse to regain' link. Interesting, and I will share with friends. So much wisdom there. I'm 61, post menopausal, retired educator, but working part time. I love the statement about exercise until you love it. I recently made a decision I'm not 'off work' once I leave the campus parking lot where I work. I'm off work when I leave the gym parking lot -- after work. It was too easy to make excuses to drive straight home. This week I added home row machine for 20 minutes in the morning to my afternoon workout routine (cardio, resistance, then light weight training every other day) My goal is to get metabolism and body energized and drop weight in the process. I try to keep food intake at around 1300 calories (I'm 5'1"). Walking a local labyrinth once a week helps keep me centered on my health goals.

As a former slim, active, athletic person, I'm not going to be satisfied until I get this 30-40 excess pounds off my body. Funny thing -- you gain 2 pounds a year after age 40 and boom! You're 60 years old and 40 pounds overweight. Oy. Slow progress, but I'm sticking with it.

Love all the encouragement I read on the community sites. Some days, it's just what I need! Blessings and progress all around.
  • Jewels211
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Through that same (refuse to regain) blog/website I found something specific to us: http://www.refusetoregain.com/2015/03/controlling-weight-after-menopause-and-other-tips-for-the-over-50-life.html

I think this one is my current favorite:

7. Remake yourself every five years

Your time is more precious now and the way you fit in the world is different. Are you still wearing your hair the same way? Is your personal style a version of what you sported in 1982? Do you have some vague idea of wanting to learn Japanese that you've never acted on? After 50, we should be assessing our health, our style, and our goals more frequently. This is the creative part of the exercise. To avoid invisibility, we must be doing something that is stimulating and that stimulates those who know us. Don't be fearful. A nice part of being over 50 is that no one cares if you're outrageous.

Except our spouses and kids, perhaps. :smiley:

I do like the idea of "remaking" oneself periodically. I think I've made changes, but they're short lived. I went back to the hairstyle I realize is in almost every pic of me for 8 or 9 years! I can't come up with anything else, but don't trust myself in the hands of any hairstylist, either. And clothes wise, I like a rather boho look, but worry about ending up looking like a fortune teller at the county fair! :smiley:
  • Jewels211
    Options

I read a lengthy review of the Refuse to Regain book and learned that she spent 7 pages talking about falling in love with exercise, compared to 1 page average on the other 11 steps of maintaining a weight loss. Clearly you agree that exercise/movement is vital. I don't think I've faced that fact yet.

I haven't, either. :neutral:

I know it's vital, and I put in time on the treadmill at least 5 days a week, but I don't love it! And that means an increase in time and speed is made only reluctantly and not enough of either. I keep hoping it will come easier the lighter I get.
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I cancelled my gym membership and started gardening outside because I wasn't going to the gym. Now, I enjoy doing barbells at home, walking/hiking with my husband and gardening. The gardening includes squatting, bending, pushing, pulling, carrying, lifting, ... I enjoy the time outside, the vitamin D from the sun and the feeling of accomplishment when I come back inside. As I get in better shape, I find that I naturally want to do more activities in other areas of life. The trick for me loving exercise has been to start with something that I enjoyed (gardening) and go from there.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Amen, @JMarcella57 . I love this time of year for gardening and walking through the fields. Everything smells good and there is something satisfying about exercising with an alternate purpose. Does this make sense? I still work out on my elliptical each morning, but truly love my time outdoors.
  • jeanlake
    Options
    jewels - laughed out loud with your boho style comment. I like the idea of it, too, but it doesn't always wear well on petite ladies. I'm really enjoying the new active wear styles that are popular now.
  • 0505jen
    0505jen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am going to be 56 next month. I was just saying on the weekend even if I do lose the last 10-15 lbs. will I be happy with my body. I have to realize that I will never have the figure of my youth. I have come along way in the last year and I guess it shouldn't just be about looks but about my health.
  • jeanlake
    Options
    Smart lady! But something glorious happens when we're not looking -- we transform into healthier, happier people.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    57 here, follow 1200 calorie diet. Great thread. I enjoyed this thread.
  • jeanlake
    Options
    pedidiva wrote: »
    57 here, follow 1200 calorie diet. Great thread. I enjoyed this thread.

Hello pedidival. I'm doing 1300 calories a day, according to MFP. I find I have to be creative -- if I'm going out to dinner that night, I may just eat an apple for lunch. How are you doing with your calorie limitations?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!