40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    larrodarro - I see LOTS of people at the gym that do LOTS of cardio but still look seriously fleshy. The skinny-fat look is EVERYWHERE around ME. But, the skinny-fat look is NOT the look that I want for myself.

I prefer the strong-lean look.

Which, btw, is an easier "look" for men to obtain, due to their bff testosterone. The strong-lean look is WAY more difficult for women to attain and maintain.

Sure, cardio feels GREAT! But, cardio works THE HEART. Which is only one body part. So, yes, for me, after 25+ years of doing cardio, cardio, cardio, how grateful am I to "see the light" which, for me, means a focus on STRENGTH.

BOOM!

I was just saying the cardio avoidance didn't work out for me yesterday. I haven't done a regular cardio workout in months. There is too much work work that had to be done, and too few hours in the day. And I can testify to the skinny fat thing. Since I stopped lifting and doing my AbRocker my belly is starting to get poochie again, even with me being under my goal weight. Maybe I will catch up in the fall and start working out again.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
    Options
    larrodarro wrote: »

I was just saying the cardio avoidance didn't work out for me yesterday. I haven't done a regular cardio workout in months. There is too much work work that had to be done, and too few hours in the day. And I can testify to the skinny fat thing. Since I stopped lifting and doing my AbRocker my belly is starting to get poochie again, even with me being under my goal weight. Maybe I will catch up in the fall and start working out again.

I am soooooooooooo glad you clarified!

In a PERFECT world, NONE of us would have "desk jobs"....such that we were "getting our cardio in" day-in-and-day-out from how life works.

I only have a few hours a week to devote to my fitness plan. Unfortunate, but true. So, yes, my cardio gets short-shrift while I steadily have to give myself permission to "do strength".
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Happy Hump day Kids.....
    Larro-- How's mom doing?

She is kind of weak the last few days, but she still stays with her flowers and garden as long as she can everyday. I was just taking to her, and she said she is almost through hoeing the garden. {Which means it's time to start over} She takes a lawn chair and moves it down the row as she hoes. My cousin's apartment came through and she is moving this weekend. I know Mamma will be glad to have the house to herself again. But it will just mean for calls for me and Sister.

Glad things are calming down where you are. I've been worried about you.

• larrodarro
    Options
    Happy Monday Cool Kids!

Larro, your baby trees are adorable... are those the contraband oranges?

{Sorry I'm so far behind} Yes, those are the Chinese orange trees. And while they are cold resistant, they are not as resistant to sunshine. About a third of them got toasted the first day out. Looks like I should have waited a couple more weeks, and kept them in the shade for a few days.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    3furballs wrote: »
    Holy moly Laro, your back must be killing you! Mine is sore just looking at that! Very impressive.

I dug up our 7x7 veggie garden and turned it over on the weekend and my poor back ached.

Square foot gardening can be very productive. That said, I bought a couple more rolls of wire to make my garden bigger. At this rate I will never make it to the river.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »

Larro, you are always a gardening inspiration. I think I may have to grow okra this summer, thanks to you.

I haven't planted okra, but it always seems like I get talked into cutting Mamma's for her.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    alf1163 wrote: »
    Larro, you are such a hard worker! Impressive!

Hardheaded would be a better way to say it. When we built out here 12 years ago, I planted tons of fruit trees. They all died from dry weather. So when I decided to plant grapevines and blueberries, I said that they would be easy to water. So I'm really being lazy in the long run, not wanting to carry water.

• larrodarro
    Options
    Just got an email from a paddling friend who got a shot just as I was catching a wave off of "Smack Wall". It's a spot on a headland that catches the deep water swell with a big "smack" and sends back a rebound wave that can be surfed if conditions are just right.

I figured it got named from folks who got too close being smacked up against the rocks :'(
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    did a crazy muay thai training session today, came home, ate lunch and then went for a 20KM ride (cycling) because it was way too nice to stay inside. at least that gave me about 850 extra calories :)
  • JackieUnlimited
    JackieUnlimited Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    KS hope you have a Fantastic Birthday!

Nickp if Missy is anything like Kali you will be doing C25K in record time. Must say it is a great program, the first time I did it I lots 7 inches over all and 4 of that was my waist. Just watch that you don't eat all the calories you burn. I'm still fighting with myself on that.

Larro were they helping dig the dirt out or back into the trench? Your dog looks to be wanting to dig deeper....not sure what's going through bad words mind.

Caramel very glad to hear things are starting to get back towards normal.

Hola to all and great work!!!!
    Hola to the newbies.

Today was a rest day but still did two walks with Kali. Over my calories today, which seems to be normal for me right now, my weight is going down so I won't complain...it would be down more if I could get myself to stop eating what I burn.

Have a great night everyone!
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Ruby, I love orioles! There are Bullock's around here, but we rarely see them. What food do you use to attract them? Fruit eaters, right?

Curious- yes, I feed the orioles jelly & oranges. I bought a new feeder for them last year. We have a pair of purple orioles right now & they laid eggs in one of our birdhouses. It is pretty neat because my son built the birdhouse!!! 1st time we have seen birds use it :) I will work on some pics

Hello, larro, Alf, beeps, caramel, nick, gamguy, kellysue, Jackie, furballs, stephanie, sederski....so sorry if I missed anyone. I love all your stories and energy. It is contagious!

Do some of you remember Whatabroad? I miss her, I wonder how she is doing?
  • larrodarro
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Larro were they helping dig the dirt out or back into the trench? Your dog looks to be wanting to dig deeper....not sure what's going through bad words mind.

Mocha has not met a hole she doesn't think shouldn't be deeper. And that was Orange in the picture, although Bad Word was just out of frame. This morning while I was working, she was laying in the shade meowing, trying to get me to come play. I told her I had heard the first ten thousand meows, that she could stop anytime. But not wanting to take a chance, she kept right on meowing. She was in the shade though, so maybe she has better sense than I do.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Day: 25 of INSANITY: THE ASYLUM Game Day & Overtime"=Done! sheesh...that's rough. I haven't tried MAX:30, don't know that I will any time soon. after this round of asylum, i'll be hitting the P90X/X+ hybrid for my Spartan race training. then...back to picking up heavy things and putting them down for the autumn/winter.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Curious and anyone interested, this is the menu plan I did. It's only 5 days. I lost weight and inches. Hope you have a nice phone or computer and you can see this. Might send it in several posts jjicd2o7lwzq.jpg
    z1ofu59bdxql.jpg
  • alf1163
    Options
    Day 3 t9v3gfzm9g7c.jpg
  • alf1163
    Options
    Day 4yaus2txstehe.jpg
  • alf1163
    Options
    Day 5 had to take two pictures rpiofj96j0o3.jpg
    09cy652igndm.jpg
  • alf1163
    Options
    I found the site that has this plan! Duh! Lol it's from Chalene Johnson, TurboFire creator.

www.creatingadestiny.com

It's called Inferno meal plan.
  • Emmalusmom
    Emmalusmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello All You Cool Kids,

Well I have made it to week four of my food preping. I have not really seen much dropping on the scale but at least it is not moving up. My friend hurt herself and we have not been walking and I can tell. I need to get more movement into my life. As most of you, I have a desk job so there is little cardio happening during the day. But I am working on changing the things that I eat and am feeling good about that so far. Then I will focus on adding exercise!

KS - I hope that you have a very Happy Birthday. I know that you got your biggest wish DH Home!

NickP - Missy is so skinking cute I just want to grab her and rub her all over. Sweet Baby!

Larro - You are such an inspiration to us all. I think that I may try some tomato plants and see how that goes.

Caramel - I am so happy that things are calming down in your neck of the woods. Stay Safe!

Ruby - That is so cool about your son building a bird house and they are living in it! I hope that you do get some pictures of them in it.

Gam3erguy - I am in awe of you just killing that Asylum! Keep up the good work! You rock in my book!

CG - I love the ocean picture. You are so skillied it is amazing to me!

Hello to everyone else that I have missed. I hope that everyone stays on the right track!
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Jackie - my NSV today - went to bed so sore from Missy ramping up my activity that I didn't know how I'd make it today. Woke up sore and grumpy with just 5 hours of sleep, hit snooze. Got up with pounding headache but dressed and took her. My running Monday was 1 minute, Tuesday 3 minutes, Wednesday 6 minutes and today 10 minutes and my headache was gone by the time I got home with her. Scale not moving (I've been eating back the calories - mostly tired/bored snacking so need to stop that) up or down. She's going to have me running a 5k in 2 weeks at this rate. I've been getting in 8k+ steps everyday despite my desk job.

Larro - Great gardens! I am trying to keep my new berries alive. I think we lost one strawberry plant and damaged a tomato not planting quick enough. All our seedlings are ready to move out this weekend to the garden (pumpkins, corn, sunflowers, lettuce, cucumbers, and watermelons and loads of flowers).

Emmalusmom - I know and Missy would love it, she wants lots of love and attention. Last night I heard howling, might have been her or coyotes. We brought her in for the night (locked her dog door) just in case.

Ruby - so cool. We had a beautiful yellow finch at our feeder this morning.

Caramel - I saw the cutest bunny on my walk this morning. We used to have one living in the yard but it may have moved out since Missy. Haven't seen it since mid-winter. Also a Mr. Mallard duck (we love the make way for ducklings story so it is always Mr and Mrs Mallard - very formal at our house.

Hi to all the rest! Thankfully its Thursday!