Four bags of Oreos

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Oshun64 wrote: »
    Haven't had the chance to read all the pages since I last posted, but two thoughts occurred to me:

1. For those who keep reiterating that the OP should treat her husband like an adult rather than a child...the irony is that when the debilitating effects of diabetes inevitably take hold, her husband will most likely be reduced to childlike status...with the OP acting as adult/caregiver.

2. I was really intrigued by hubby eating exactly two cookies from each bag. This seems to me to be a deeply resentful act..a big F*** Y** to the OP. It might also be a preventative measure to keep her from returning the unopened bags to the store.

This is a thing?!? I mean, stores will let you return food?

Ugh. I hope that isn't true.

They do, but they throw it away.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Haven't had the chance to read all the pages since I last posted, but two thoughts occurred to me:

1. For those who keep reiterating that the OP should treat her husband like an adult rather than a child...the irony is that when the debilitating effects of diabetes inevitably take hold, her husband will most likely be reduced to childlike status...with the OP acting as adult/caregiver.

2. I was really intrigued by hubby eating exactly two cookies from each bag. This seems to me to be a deeply resentful act..a big F*** Y** to the OP. It might also be a preventative measure to keep her from returning the unopened bags to the store.

Yea, that way if you buy something that turns out to be tainted you get your money back. Or if you accidentally buy a bag of rotten fruit.

Some stores like Trader Joe's and Costco will give you your money back eve if you have opened the package.
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Yea, that way if you buy something that turns out to be tainted you get your money back. Or if you accidentally buy a bag of rotten fruit.

Some stores like Trader Joe's and Costco will give you your money back eve if you have opened the package.

I've known people who would return a half eaten piece of fruit, claim it was spoiled and get their money back. Not a bag, just one piece.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Maybe they were on sale and he saw a deal he couldn't pass up?

Winner!

Talenti needs to go on sale & they need to get the damn Raspberry Cheesecake *grumbles*
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    15 pages? Really?
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options

Stores do, but at least at the store I work at you need to have a receipt & we do defect food items in case someone tampered with anything.

Not my story:

Another coworker told me once that an older lady returned cotton balls because she said they tasted like they were expired. The poor old lady thought they were Cotton Candy.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

Stores do, but at least at the store I work at you need to have a receipt & we do defect food items in case someone tampered with anything.

Not my story:

Another coworker told me once that an older lady returned cotton balls because she said they tasted like they were expired. The poor old lady thought they were Cotton Candy.

:lol:
    you win the interwebz for today
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Just the thought of putting a cotton ball in your mouth is enormously horrifying to me.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    This reminds me of that one thread a few months ago where a mother made a post about how her teenage daughter was gaining a lot of weight in a short period of time and bingeing and eating copious amounts of unhealthy food and wanted advice on how to talk to her about changing her habits. Of course everyone wanted the mom to just let her daughter carry on and show no concern because the mom was just a bad, bad mom. People are ridiculous.

While some people made very good points, keep in mind a large amount of us are here because we have terrible habits that led us to having health issues such as obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes etc etc etc. The point I'm trying to make is not everyone is qualified to tell you how to handle the situation as many people have proven in this forum.

I think I remember that thread and your summary of it seems biased and incorrect.

Nobody said the mom should "show no concern." What many people said, (some based on their own personal experiences with over-eating and how their parents handled it) was that the mother should be careful in how she addresses the issue. Why? Because at the end of the day we do own our own consumption. Forbidding a spouse or child from eating certain things isn't going to help if they aren't ready to make a change.

I'm not so sure we are referring to the same thread here but I remember very clearly it was one of those posts with 10+ pages and many many many people just said leave her be, let her learn on her own, don't bug her, things along those lines.

What would you recommend? I don't think "show no concern" is an accurate summary of advice on that thread. "Don't bug her" is very different than "be indifferent."

I never said that those were the exact words of posters in that old forum. The point that I was trying to make is that a lot of people in that thread wanted her to leave her daughter alone. There is nothing wrong with expressing concern about unhealthy habits to a loved one. More people should do it.

My point is that I don't think a single person said "show no concern," which was how you summarized what "everyone" said. What many people advised was to avoid making the daughter's intake a point of contention between the two or beginning a struggle for control. Which is actually good advice for dealing with addicts or people struggling with compulsive behavior and is totally different than "showing no concern."

Again, I never said that those were the exact words of posters in that old forum. I also never said that 'everyone' said that. I said the point that I was trying to make is that a lot of people in that thread wanted her to leave her daughter alone and not bother her about her eating habits. And no, it's not good advice. You can speak to a loved one and express concern and keep the discussion polite while talking about the problems at hand. She should be concerned and she should express that concern because these bad habits could easily result in future problems such as diabetes, heart attacks, the list could go on. If I was in that situation myself, as a mother, I would kick myself if my daughter developed such issues and had never said anything, or just let her 'learn on her own'. On the other hand I'm not saying she should have just taken matters into her own hands and tried to control what her daughter consumed.

You said: "Of course everyone wanted the mom to just let her daughter carry on and show no concern because the mom was just a bad, bad mom."

If you didn't mean to write "everyone" and now want to clarify, that's fine. If you didn't mean that people were saying "show no concern," perhaps you should have chosen different words.

My point is that when people were giving advice to avoid making it a point of contention, that isn't the same thing as "show no concern." I believe you are twisting what the majority of the advice was in that thread -- people were generally advising that the mother shouldn't try to control what her daughter was eating or make it a point of contention between the two (again, great advice for those interacting with addicts or those in the grip of compulsive behavior). But many people DID stress that the mother should show concern for her daughter in ways that wouldn't be controlling or cause more tension between the two.
    I should have said in the first post, 'Most people.'

We obviously remember the thread in different ways. Majority thought that the mom should leave her daughter be and let her figure it out on her own so as not to be a bad mom who fat shames her daughter. You believe the majority believed just the opposite of that point. So at this point we just have to agree to disagree.

I believe that many people thought the mother should support her daughter and make it clear that she would always be there for her without doing anything to make food an additional source of stress or a way to express control for the daughter, yes.

Like I said, agree to disagree.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    Try to persuade him if he has sweettooth that he eats raw fruit, and not zero nutrient refined sugar in sweets. Bananas are a whole lot better, or apples. Even dried fruits are much better.

i fail to see the correlation between a sweet tooth and eating raw foods…..

Er... raw fruit is sweet..(?)
    ndj1979 wrote: »

and source of sugar does not matter...

I read something yesterday about why fruit sugar is "better" than added sugar in other carbohydrate-loaded foods. Apparently the digestion of sugar requires certain micronutrients that are also delivered in fresh fruit. However, if you eat (for example) a candy bar, it doesn't contain any of the vitamins required to digest it, so essentially by eating the candy bar you're dipping into (depleting) your reserve of micronutrients.

So, the logic that you can get your day's nutrition and then spend any 'leftover' calories on junk without detriment to your health is somewhat flawed...

3rd request for a link to the article you are saying you read.
    Just a morning update - I'll be reading through all the responses through the day,.. all four packages of Oreos have been opened and at least 2 cookies are gone from each. The packages will be finished within a week, I'm guessing.

As for addictions - food can be just as deadly an addiction as drugs, if not more so because you can't give it up completely like drugs or alcohol.

Not our first discussion by far - in fact he has gone to drastic extremes (WLS) which failed because he believed his gastric band would fix everything with no effort on his part.

Age does make a difference - the body does not recover as well from stressors and is much more prone to serious effects. So, to those of you in your 20s and 30s - make changes now. It will be much harder to lose it later.

I'll be back after work - keep this discussion rolling...

Did you ask him why he opened 4 different packages?

This is the greatest problem I've read so far in this thread. That is crazy talk. If there's going to be an intervention, it should be for this egregious violation.

No joke. I don't care if my husband wants to eat cookies, but I'm not gonna have multiple open containers of the same thing in my house.

Perhaps they are different flavors of Oreos.

And she did say they would likely be gone within the week. No chance to go stale.

WAIT

WHAT?

Oreos have different flavours???

what on earth is that about? You Americans and your new-world ways .. sheesh

Yes. Various flavors have been showing up in recent years, obviously to try and tap into a new demographic. Because true Oreo fans know there is only Double Stuf. The rest are pretenders. BUT...the new flavors I've seen are:

*Strawberry Creme (chocolate cookies, and does not look appealing)
    *Mint Creme Oreos (chocolate cookies; these are GOOD!!!)
    *Lemon Creme Oreos (yellow cookies; have not tried)
    *Golden Oreos (yellow cookies; with a Double Stuf version too; they are "meh")
    *Birthday Cake Creme (yellow cookies, with some odd type of creme with colorful specks, no idea what makes them different from the "normal" golden Oreos other than the specks in the creme)
    *Chocolate Creme Oreos (both yellow cookies and chocolate cookies; these are GOOD!!!!)
    *Cafe Latte Oreos (my favorite, and of course, I never see them around anymore)

I want to say there was a peanut butter creme version, but I could be hallucinating that one.

The Double Stuf is amazing! I don't think I've ever tried the Mega Stuf yet.

My other favorites are:

Peppermint flavor
    Cotton Candy (not bad has a distinct Cotton Candy flavor, but can be overwhelming)
    White Fudge (so glad these are only a Christmas thing because I could go through a box or two easily)

Didn't care for the Cookie Dough since it had more of a coffee flavor.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    Hubby and I had "the discussion" about eating more sensibly and healthier, and less junk food, etc, etc, etc, this weekend. (He has more weight to lose than I do.) Thought we were on the same page, until he came home from the grocery store this evening with four bags of Oreos, chocolate ice cream, eight pounds of pork sausage patties, and a supersize bag of generic Reese's pieces cereal.

I'm not even sure we're in the same book, much less on the same page. How do you handle these situations??

2 oreos is around 100 calories

I fail to see the issue

The issue is not simply one of CICO. The OP's husband has a chronic medical condition that is often exacerbated by certain foods (ie. those with refined sugar). Just because you and others fail to see the issue does not mean that there is no issue.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
    Some people appear to get very het up by others making a decision to quit junk food. Those people must feel very defensive and insecure about choosing to eat such things themselves.

I concurr. Lots of people like this in the forums.

"I fit junk food into my calorie limit everyday and lost a million pounds so you should do it to."

I think most of us try to promote an overall healthy diet with lots of veggies, grains, lean meats, & fruits but also try to stress that you can eat a little sweets, a lot of sweets, or no sweets & still lose weight. So many people starting out in this process by counting calories & have a decent amount to lose (100+) seem to think they have to go full force into the process & eliminate all of their favorite foods, eat as few calories as possible, & only eat clean foods. When that happens the majority of people don't learn moderation, don't really change their lifestyle, & usually end up binging from restricting & giving up on the whole process for one bad slip up.

I've never seen anyone on here seriously tell someone to eat nothing but sweets or other junk food & promote it as a healthy diet.
  • Altagracia220
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Hubby and I had "the discussion" about eating more sensibly and healthier, and less junk food, etc, etc, etc, this weekend. (He has more weight to lose than I do.) Thought we were on the same page, until he came home from the grocery store this evening with four bags of Oreos, chocolate ice cream, eight pounds of pork sausage patties, and a supersize bag of generic Reese's pieces cereal.

I'm not even sure we're in the same book, much less on the same page. How do you handle these situations??

I fail to see the issue

The issue is not simply one of CICO. The OP's husband has a chronic medical condition that is often exacerbated by certain foods (ie. those with refined sugar). Just because you and others fail to see the issue does not mean that there is no issue.

Some people appear to get very het up by others making a decision to quit junk food. Those people must feel very defensive and insecure about choosing to eat such things themselves.

"I fit junk food into my calorie limit everyday and lost a million pounds so you should do it to."

Yeah, no. It's about learning to eat in moderation, and helping people who try to go full on "all healthy food" (which most of the time leads to failure). If people learn over time to eat in moderation, and meet their macros and nutritional needs, they find they can still have the foods they enjoy in smaller portions. Things like cookies aren't 'off the table' forever, weight lost is still achieved, and long-term success is still there. There's no self-righteousness involved, as you seem to think. We're trying to help people be successful over the long haul.

I...don't think you understand the point I was making. But okay. He could technically eat in moderation. Just like anyone should be able to. Did he buy 4 packs of oreos just so he could eat 2-3 every now and then...I don't think so...I'm not saying he should cut junk food out forever and ever and ever just because he has some health issues. Of course, anyone who wants to cut junk food out of their diet should be able to if they wish, no questions asked, whether someone was able to lose 100 pounds eating 15 oreos a day or not.
  • Altagracia220
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    15 pages? Really?

People love to argue. And to eat Oreos.

Mmhmm.
  • Altagracia220
    Options

I fail to see the issue

I think most of us try to promote an overall healthy diet with lots of veggies, grains, lean meats, & fruits but also try to stress that you can eat a little sweets, a lot of sweets, or no sweets & still lose weight. So many people starting out in this process by counting calories & have a decent amount to lose (100+) seem to think they have to go full force into the process & eliminate all of their favorite foods, eat as few calories as possible, & only eat clean foods. When that happens the majority of people don't learn moderation, don't really change their lifestyle, & usually end up binging from restricting & giving up on the whole process for one bad slip up.

I've never seen anyone on here seriously tell someone to eat nothing but sweets or other junk food & promote it as a healthy diet.

I didn't say that.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I fail to see the issue

Yeah, no. It's about learning to eat in moderation, and helping people who try to go full on "all healthy food" (which most of the time leads to failure). If people learn over time to eat in moderation, and meet their macros and nutritional needs, they find they can still have the foods they enjoy in smaller portions. Things like cookies aren't 'off the table' forever, weight lost is still achieved, and long-term success is still there. There's no self-righteousness involved, as you seem to think. We're trying to help people be successful over the long haul.

I...don't think you understand the point I was making. But okay. He could technically eat in moderation. Just like anyone should be able to. Did he buy 4 packs of oreos just so he could eat 2-3 every now and then...I don't think so...I'm not saying he should cut junk food out forever and ever and ever just because he has some health issues. Of course, anyone who wants to cut junk food out of their diet should be able to if they wish, no questions asked, whether someone was able to lose 100 pounds eating 15 oreos a day or not.

Are you sure? I bolded what you said, I don't see where any of what you are saying now (backtracking) fits what you said that I replied to.
  • goddessheatherr
    goddessheatherr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like hes not willing to go on a diet. You cannot force someone. Ive tried a few times and it clearly does not work. It gets you upset because you put so much time and effort into prepping your healthy meals for the week and they cheat. Ranch dressing and all the other crap. Just eat healthy yourself and he will notice you are serious and once you start losing weight he might want to start eating better himself. Get healthier for you even if HES not willing too! Good luck.
  • Altagracia220
    Options

I fail to see the issue

Are you sure? I bolded what you said, I don't see where any of what you are saying now (backtracking) fits what you said that I replied to.

I feel like we are having 2 different conversations

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options

I fail to see the issue

I didn't say that.

I didn't say you did. I just meant it in a way that I've never seen anyone outright tell someone that you should just eat unhealthy foods rather than eat in a balanced way & enjoy some treats.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I remember hating double stuffed Oreos when I was younger because I preferred the cookie to the filling.
    I REALLY want to try the cotton candy flavor but didn't see it on my last trip to Target. The red velvet Oreos were kind of a bummer.

As to the OP's posts, I am very sorry your husband is putting you through this. My dad takes a similar approach to his diabetes and it's always painful to watch.