Replies

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Oshun64 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hubby and I had "the discussion" about eating more sensibly and healthier, and less junk food, etc, etc, etc, this weekend. (He has more weight to lose than I do.) Thought we were on the same page, until he came home from the grocery store this evening with four bags of Oreos, chocolate ice cream, eight pounds of pork sausage patties, and a supersize bag of generic Reese's pieces cereal.

I'm not even sure we're in the same book, much less on the same page. How do you handle these situations??

2 oreos is around 100 calories

I fail to see the issue

The issue is not simply one of CICO. The OP's husband has a chronic medical condition that is often exacerbated by certain foods (ie. those with refined sugar). Just because you and others fail to see the issue does not mean that there is no issue.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
    Some people appear to get very het up by others making a decision to quit junk food. Those people must feel very defensive and insecure about choosing to eat such things themselves.

I concurr. Lots of people like this in the forums.

"I fit junk food into my calorie limit everyday and lost a million pounds so you should do it to."

I think most of us try to promote an overall healthy diet with lots of veggies, grains, lean meats, & fruits but also try to stress that you can eat a little sweets, a lot of sweets, or no sweets & still lose weight. So many people starting out in this process by counting calories & have a decent amount to lose (100+) seem to think they have to go full force into the process & eliminate all of their favorite foods, eat as few calories as possible, & only eat clean foods. When that happens the majority of people don't learn moderation, don't really change their lifestyle, & usually end up binging from restricting & giving up on the whole process for one bad slip up.

I've never seen anyone on here seriously tell someone to eat nothing but sweets or other junk food & promote it as a healthy diet.

I didn't say that.

I didn't say you did. I just meant it in a way that I've never seen anyone outright tell someone that you should just eat unhealthy foods rather than eat in a balanced way & enjoy some treats.

Okay and? I haven't seen it either.

The point of my original post was that some people get all judge-y when other people decide to completely cut out certain foods for the sake of diet. If someone wants to cut out certain foods for the sake of diet, okay no problem, good for you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Hubby and I had "the discussion" about eating more sensibly and healthier, and less junk food, etc, etc, etc, this weekend. (He has more weight to lose than I do.) Thought we were on the same page, until he came home from the grocery store this evening with four bags of Oreos, chocolate ice cream, eight pounds of pork sausage patties, and a supersize bag of generic Reese's pieces cereal.

I'm not even sure we're in the same book, much less on the same page. How do you handle these situations??

I fail to see the issue

The issue is not simply one of CICO. The OP's husband has a chronic medical condition that is often exacerbated by certain foods (ie. those with refined sugar). Just because you and others fail to see the issue does not mean that there is no issue.

Some people appear to get very het up by others making a decision to quit junk food. Those people must feel very defensive and insecure about choosing to eat such things themselves.

"I fit junk food into my calorie limit everyday and lost a million pounds so you should do it to."

Yeah, no. It's about learning to eat in moderation, and helping people who try to go full on "all healthy food" (which most of the time leads to failure). If people learn over time to eat in moderation, and meet their macros and nutritional needs, they find they can still have the foods they enjoy in smaller portions. Things like cookies aren't 'off the table' forever, weight lost is still achieved, and long-term success is still there. There's no self-righteousness involved, as you seem to think. We're trying to help people be successful over the long haul.

I...don't think you understand the point I was making. But okay. He could technically eat in moderation. Just like anyone should be able to. Did he buy 4 packs of oreos just so he could eat 2-3 every now and then...I don't think so...I'm not saying he should cut junk food out forever and ever and ever just because he has some health issues. Of course, anyone who wants to cut junk food out of their diet should be able to if they wish, no questions asked, whether someone was able to lose 100 pounds eating 15 oreos a day or not.

Are you sure? I bolded what you said, I don't see where any of what you are saying now (backtracking) fits what you said that I replied to.

I feel like we are having 2 different conversations

I've seen people say the first ("I fit 'junk foods' into my calorie limit"). The second part ("you should do it too") is more questionable.

Where are you seeing people being told they should eat certain foods?
  • Altagracia220
    Options

I fail to see the issue

Yeah, no. It's about learning to eat in moderation, and helping people who try to go full on "all healthy food" (which most of the time leads to failure). If people learn over time to eat in moderation, and meet their macros and nutritional needs, they find they can still have the foods they enjoy in smaller portions. Things like cookies aren't 'off the table' forever, weight lost is still achieved, and long-term success is still there. There's no self-righteousness involved, as you seem to think. We're trying to help people be successful over the long haul.

I...don't think you understand the point I was making. But okay. He could technically eat in moderation. Just like anyone should be able to. Did he buy 4 packs of oreos just so he could eat 2-3 every now and then...I don't think so...I'm not saying he should cut junk food out forever and ever and ever just because he has some health issues. Of course, anyone who wants to cut junk food out of their diet should be able to if they wish, no questions asked, whether someone was able to lose 100 pounds eating 15 oreos a day or not.

Are you sure? I bolded what you said, I don't see where any of what you are saying now (backtracking) fits what you said that I replied to.

I've seen people say the first ("I fit 'junk foods' into my calorie limit"). The second part ("you should do it too") is more questionable.

I didn't say anything about people saying that other people should eat certain or specific foods. Some people on here get judgmental when they find out that another person has cut out a certain food they like for the sake of diet as opposed to them just saving, let's say, 200 calories for a damn cookie.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I fail to see the issue

I didn't say anything about people saying that other people should eat certain or specific foods. Some people on here get judgmental when they find out that another person has cut out a certain food they like for the sake of diet as opposed to them just saving, let's say, 200 calories for a damn cookie.

I think you struggle to accurately understand the tone and message of others when they write something that you disagree with.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I fail to see the issue

you know that how?
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Diabetes isn't a joke.

When I was pregnant, I had to go for a 2 hour GTT. I had to sit in a diabetes clinic where I saw people with literally rotting off extremities from diabetes. Missing limbs. People who went blind from it. It scared the crap out of me.

That's the road he is going down. I don't know why she should be expected to support him in that endeavor. She will be the one that ultimately has to deal with the consequences of his decision as his eventual caregiver. This isn't like an accident or he got cancer from some cause unknown. This is a full on knowing decision to destroy his body and his health and he expects other people to pick up the slack for him eventually when he can't do it himself. It is entirely stupid and selfish. All for some Oreos...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this thread is still going...LOL
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    +1

• Altagracia220
    Options

I fail to see the issue

I think you struggle to accurately understand the tone and message of others when they write something that you disagree with.

Okay.
  • Altagracia220
    Options

I fail to see the issue

you know that how?

Didn't say I knew. It explicitly says 'I don't think so' .

And I still don't think so.

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options

These are the great debates of our times, we need it to continue for at least for another 5-10 pages.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I agree that you cannot force a cognitively intact adult to change their behaviors - only they can decide to make changes. That said, to those of us who are dealing with the health issues of a loved one (in my case it is my mother) it really does impact our lives and thus we are fully invited to the table for the conversation, IMO.

My mom just left the hospital after a nearly 3 week stay. Admitted for acute respiratory failure after developing viral pneumonia. The pneumonia so compromised her heart that she had a mild heart attack. (If you are going to have a heart attack, I recommend you do it while in the hospital.) The long, long road to recovery was vastly compromised by her out-of-control diabetes and her years-long denial of her health condition and management of said disease. And now her life (and subsequently the lives of me and my sister) will never be the same.

She no longer has the luxury to sweep her diabetes under the carpet as she has done for years. She is damn lucky to be alive. So to the OP, I agree with the previous poster who advised you to get your affairs in order - plan for the inevitable health catastrophe that will surely accompany an adult who does not take care of their disease and health. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but denial gets you no where. Expect maybe in a hospital bed.

I wish you all the luck (and stamina) in the world. Don't forget to take care of yourself.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »

These are the great debates of our times, we need it to continue for at least for another 5-10 pages.
    Plus, there are still Oreos to be eaten.
    tumblr_mwp8j2q6kt1sqxktxo1_400.gif
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    Try to persuade him if he has sweettooth that he eats raw fruit, and not zero nutrient refined sugar in sweets. Bananas are a whole lot better, or apples. Even dried fruits are much better.

i fail to see the correlation between a sweet tooth and eating raw foods…..

Er... raw fruit is sweet..(?)

and source of sugar does not matter...

I read something yesterday about why fruit sugar is "better" than added sugar in other carbohydrate-loaded foods. Apparently the digestion of sugar requires certain micronutrients that are also delivered in fresh fruit. However, if you eat (for example) a candy bar, it doesn't contain any of the vitamins required to digest it, so essentially by eating the candy bar you're dipping into (depleting) your reserve of micronutrients.

So, the logic that you can get your day's nutrition and then spend any 'leftover' calories on junk without detriment to your health is somewhat flawed...

3rd request for a link to the article you are saying you read.
    Just a morning update - I'll be reading through all the responses through the day,.. all four packages of Oreos have been opened and at least 2 cookies are gone from each. The packages will be finished within a week, I'm guessing.

As for addictions - food can be just as deadly an addiction as drugs, if not more so because you can't give it up completely like drugs or alcohol.

Not our first discussion by far - in fact he has gone to drastic extremes (WLS) which failed because he believed his gastric band would fix everything with no effort on his part.

Age does make a difference - the body does not recover as well from stressors and is much more prone to serious effects. So, to those of you in your 20s and 30s - make changes now. It will be much harder to lose it later.

I'll be back after work - keep this discussion rolling...

Did you ask him why he opened 4 different packages?

This is the greatest problem I've read so far in this thread. That is crazy talk. If there's going to be an intervention, it should be for this egregious violation.

Um, have you guys seen how many different flavors of Oreos there are these days? Some of them are straight up NASTY (Red Velvet) and would send me to a different package as well (Aaahhh Reese's Oreos... that's better).

Still working my way through the pages of responses, I'm only up to page 7. Somebody got Cliff's Notes for me?

• BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I never liked Double Stuff oreos, I like the original filling proportion. The only oreos I really like are regular (or reduced fat) and mint.
  • DaneanP
    Options
    I never liked Oreos or any store bought cookie. *shrug* Give me a homemade chocolate chip cookie or brownie any day. You guys want something super delicious? I present Gluten-free S'more Bars (I didn't bother with the gluten free). http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/gluten-free-smore-barsiuuwvbef5o46.jpg
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    I never liked Oreos

Crazy-Talk.jpg
  • DaneanP
    Options
    Don't worry, I make up for it with my love of expensive pinot noir. :p
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I fail to see the issue

Not surprising given she seems to struggle to accurately recall things she said earlier in the same thread.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I fail to see the issue

I think most of us try to promote an overall healthy diet with lots of veggies, grains, lean meats, & fruits but also try to stress that you can eat a little sweets, a lot of sweets, or no sweets & still lose weight. So many people starting out in this process by counting calories & have a decent amount to lose (100+) seem to think they have to go full force into the process & eliminate all of their favorite foods, eat as few calories as possible, & only eat clean foods. When that happens the majority of people don't learn moderation, don't really change their lifestyle, & usually end up binging from restricting & giving up on the whole process for one bad slip up.

I've never seen anyone on here seriously tell someone to eat nothing but sweets or other junk food & promote it as a healthy diet.

I didn't say that.

I didn't say you did. I just meant it in a way that I've never seen anyone outright tell someone that you should just eat unhealthy foods rather than eat in a balanced way & enjoy some treats.

Okay and? I haven't seen it either.

The point of my original post was that some people get all judge-y when other people decide to completely cut out certain foods for the sake of diet. If someone wants to cut out certain foods for the sake of diet, okay no problem, good for you.

People get judge-y because more often times than not like I said people think they have to eat completely clean to lose weight & that's not the case! Like I said before when people decide to completely overhaul their diet rather than change things little by little they get burnt out by their restrictive eating, don't learn moderation, & usually don't make it to maintenance.

A lot of people have tried the substitute foods & did the crazy diet things these people bring up & are only giving them their personal results & knowledge they've read up on so these newer members trying to lose weight don't make the same mistakes.