Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    7uhvrz8ifbkx.jpg
    Hubby's Lunch Blox for tomorrow, nothing too inspiring but better than a regular old lunch!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    If I remember, I'll take a photo of the finished product as well. I'm guessing this classifies as a low carb one too, since there's no starchy veg, no noodles and no rice.

Ugh, I forgot. A zombie would starve on the state of my brain after I've gone for a run, and all I could think about was refuelling it.

Was it at least tasty? Someone else on here made a soup that way, and it looked great.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Today I've done something a little different, along with my usual yoghurt and frozen cherries. Its getting cold (ish - I know my idea of cold is not as cold as most places, considering I've never even seen snow before), so I've been feeling like soup.

The type of soup I felt like is one better made fresh, I cut up a whole lot of fresh vegetables, and a bag of pork stirfy pieces which I've added soy sauce & wasabi powder to (the pork was frozen when the sauce was added and it was put in the box and it's been in my cooler bag since), and made a miso ball to use as stock. Boil the kettle, add all the veg, meat and stock in a bowl, and then microwave.
    jxlhcch1uuqs.jpg
    If I remember, I'll take a photo of the finished product as well. I'm guessing this classifies as a low carb one too, since there's no starchy veg, no noodles and no rice.

I'm really curious about this miso ball business, but the link doesn't work :(

I have a ridiculously large package of miso in the fridge that is going to get tossed when we move, and I would hate to waste it. I need healthy recipes that will help use up my miso!
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    No bento for me today as I decided to sleep in. I should have one again tomorrow for my yoga teacher training though. Happy Friday!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    @mangrothian I do something like that with ramen, the kind you just add water to. I cut up julienne carrots, green onions, fresh cilantro and various other things plus a sliced boiled egg to add, and it makes a huge difference.

I keep forgetting to take pics before I eat, but I managed to remember today. This has no particular theme.

Salad of arugula, carrots, pear, radish, and goat cheese, chicken sausage and lemon ricotta ravioli with English peas. There's pear gorgonzola dressing for the salad and a little extra honey ginger vinegar in case it needs more (it's a lot of salad, packed very tight). Altogether, about 570 calories.

20150508_160451.jpg
  • Narcissora
    Options
    @mangrothian I do something like that with ramen, the kind you just add water to. I cut up julienne carrots, green onions, fresh cilantro and various other things plus a sliced boiled egg to add, and it makes a huge difference.

I keep forgetting to take pics before I eat, but I managed to remember today. This has no particular theme.

Salad of arugula, carrots, pear, radish, and goat cheese, chicken sausage and lemon ricotta ravioli with English peas. There's pear gorgonzola dressing for the salad and a little extra honey ginger vinegar in case it needs more (it's a lot of salad, packed very tight). Altogether, about 570 calories.

20150508_160451.jpg

Trader Joe's goat cheese! Yum!

Did you get the ravioli and sausage from TJ's too? I'm always looking for new things to try from that place.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »

20150508_160451.jpg

Did you get the ravioli and sausage from TJ's too? I'm always looking for new things to try from that place.

Yes, and I highly recommend them!

It's one of the most delicious raviolis I've ever tried. It doesn't need sauce, maybe a very light drizzle of butter or lemon juice at most, or sweeter oil like almond or flaxseed. The sausage is also super-delicious and only 100 calories each. TJ's is my very favorite grocery, and we have some pretty gourmet choices around with Whole Foods and Southern Season.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I'm really curious about this miso ball business, but the link doesn't work :(

I have a ridiculously large package of miso in the fridge that is going to get tossed when we move, and I would hate to waste it. I need healthy recipes that will help use up my miso!

Whoops... I don't know what I tried linking to, but it certainly wasn't even close. Lets try again... Miso Balls

Ugh, I forgot. A zombie would starve on the state of my brain after I've gone for a run, and all I could think about was refuelling it.

Was it at least tasty? Someone else on here made a soup that way, and it looked great.

Was wonderful. I should have added some kind of carb to it though, because I was kinda hungry the rest of the afternoon and felt like eating my textbook by the end of my class at 9pm.
  • mangrothian
    Options

20150508_160451.jpg

Yes, and I highly recommend them!

It's one of the most delicious raviolis I've ever tried. It doesn't need sauce, maybe a very light drizzle of butter or lemon juice at most, or sweeter oil like almond or flaxseed. The sausage is also super-delicious and only 100 calories each. TJ's is my very favorite grocery, and we have some pretty gourmet choices around with Whole Foods and Southern Season.

I wish there was something in Australia like trader joe's, but alas we're out of luck. i go to so many specialty groceries to get my more exotic ingredients, and to have a place with a different range would be awesome.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Hadn't packed a bento in awhile! But I'm studying for my finals all day today at the library so might as well... Rice with fermented tofu, Vietnamese banh Chung, stir fried garlic veggies, and spicy chicken.

u102d8en7lh0.jpg
  • sagj
    Options
    pzmpicusrr14.jpg
    Today's bento for yoga teacher training:

Layer 1: chipotle egg salad, strawberries, and avocado

Layer 2: mushrooms with sunflower seed/ tomato/ gorgonzola/ and spring greens salad served with honey mustard dressing
  • Narcissora
    Options
    sagj wrote: »
    pzmpicusrr14.jpg

Layer 2: mushrooms with sunflower seed/ tomato/ gorgonzola/ and spring greens salad served with honey mustard dressing

Do you put lime or anything on the avocado to keep it from turning brown? Or does it stay okay in your bento box until lunch time?
  • sagj
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sagj wrote: »
    pzmpicusrr14.jpg

Do you put lime or anything on the avocado to keep it from turning brown? Or does it stay okay in your bento box until lunch time?

I didn't put anything on it this time. It only sat in the box about 3-4 hours and was just about perfect in ripeness so it held together great. If it had been longer or it was overripe I maybe would have put some lime on it though.

It just barely started to speckle with brown after four hours in the box mainly under refrigeration. It is probably worth an experiment to see what it would do under your normal box conditions; unless it is overnight I bet it would be fine given it wasn't already over ripe. There's not much air in there after all :wink:
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Bamboo bell pepper green onion stir fry, pretty l liver, broccoli, and rice of course ^^

bfp6vefpz1ab.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    Bamboo bell pepper green onion stir fry, pretty l liver, broccoli, and rice of course ^^

Yummers. I don't eat liver very often anymore, but that looks delish.

ry7jmsharla7.jpg

Here we are, a Western Bento, with ingredients that no one needs a Japanese dictionary for ;) Hello kitty pasta (hey, it was an impulse purchase ok?), with a sundried tomato pesto, mini-hamburgers, and steamed asparagus, carrot and tomatoes. It's a higher cal bento at 580Cal.
  • sagj
    edited May 2015
    Options
    c02yhzzhlb2g.jpg

Tomorrow's bento:

Layer 1: shrimp with blanched broccoli and tomatoes tossed with the BEST Italian dressing EVER (from my favorite local restaurant), mini mozzarella balls, and almonds

Layer 2: Raspberries, strawberries, and spring mix salad with sunflower seeds, cucumber and smoked gouda. I haven't decided what dressing yet.

Happy Monday!
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »

bfp6vefpz1ab.jpg

Mmm yum that looks tasty! What's are the veggies stir fried in?

Have forgotten to take pictures the last few days but today's bento was chilli con carne, Mexican rice, broccoli, apple, banana and some special K biscuits :)
  • Narcissora
    Options
    Today's lunch: Mediterranean chickpea salad, roast beef, cottage cheese with paprika, and apple slices tossed in lemon juice so that they don't get brown.

4cz2zps1xshp.jpg
  • LadyAhiru
    LadyAhiru Posts: 112 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    looks all so good!
  • LadyAhiru
    LadyAhiru Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Here is my first try!

ziwfa7v6e4lx.jpg

My first time Bento includes:

Rice with black Sesame

Chilli Sauce

Snapbeans

homemade Mini Turkey/Zuccini Patties

The whole 2 boxes only have 484 calories! ;)

The nonfat greek yoghurt with the rapsberries is for breakfast