Calorie counting doesn't work according to a new study. Apparently.

Options

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    He's selling a book called The Diet Myth. Hilarious. Genius. I seriously need to get in on this somehow.
    The Conspiracy to Keep You Fat and How to Break Free in 17 Days Without Dieting.
    Um, too long

I'll keep thinking...
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    So the article is basically this genetics expert saying, the bacteria in your gut(or lack thereof) is ONE of the causes for people to put on weight.
    That to lose weight it will take more than just calorie restriction. It will take exercise, and eating a wide variety of foods including cheese, alcohol and chocolate to put your body back into balance. Oh and of course, avoid fast food.
    For SOME REASON, this guy seems to think that people who go on a calorie monitoring diet only eat CHICKEN and BROCCOLI.
    "Dieting can also be dangerous, he adds. ‘The increasing promotion and use of restrictive diets that depend on just a few ingredients will inevitably lead to a further reduction in microbe diversity and, eventually, to ill-health.’"

Anyway, bottom line, eat a variety of foods and exercise regularly to increase bacteria in your gut to help you lose weight and improve your immune system.

This is why when I was in active weight loss I made sure to not just eat at Mcdonalds, but also include Taco Bell, Subway, Burger King and Wendys-just to make sure I wasn't eating only a few ingredients, which could hurt my microbe diversity. Gotta keep that balance you know.

:p
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    So the article is basically this genetics expert saying, the bacteria in your gut(or lack thereof) is ONE of the causes for people to put on weight.
    That to lose weight it will take more than just calorie restriction. It will take exercise, and eating a wide variety of foods including cheese, alcohol and chocolate to put your body back into balance. Oh and of course, avoid fast food.
    For SOME REASON, this guy seems to think that people who go on a calorie monitoring diet only eat CHICKEN and BROCCOLI.
    "Dieting can also be dangerous, he adds. ‘The increasing promotion and use of restrictive diets that depend on just a few ingredients will inevitably lead to a further reduction in microbe diversity and, eventually, to ill-health.’"

Anyway, bottom line, eat a variety of foods and exercise regularly to increase bacteria in your gut to help you lose weight and improve your immune system.

This is why when I was in active weight loss I made sure to not just eat at Mcdonalds, but also include Taco Bell, Subway, Burger King and Wendys-just to make sure I wasn't eating only a few ingredients, which could hurt my microbe diversity. Gotta keep that balance you know.

:p

Oh yeah! In addition to those I have Whataburger, Chick-fil-A, Jack-in-the-box, and Dairy Queen. Gotta keep the variety in there!
  • mjffey
    mjffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    One thing I agree with him. It's not standard that everybody who is overweight eats too many cals, and doesn't do enough exercise. If it was that simple, everybody would be slim :-)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

That actually sounds quite reasonable (but for the assumptions about dieters) and not the same as the media coverage.

Can't say I'm shocked. ;-)

Seems similar in some ways to Marion Nestle's warnings that restricting yourself to a narrow range of foods or cutting out foods that seem to have positive correlation with health (like whole grains) may have unintended consequences, as we don't know precisely why various foods have positive effects--it's probably not just the identified micronutrients.

You do get questions here from time to time that are basically: chicken or turkey? kale or spinach? that suggest some think they can identify the "best" few foods and just eat them, or that it would be better to just eat them, which has always stuck me as deeply weird (as someone into variety).
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That actually sounds quite reasonable (but for the assumptions about dieters) and not the same as the media coverage.

Can't say I'm shocked. ;-)

Seems similar in some ways to Marion Nestle's warnings that restricting yourself to a narrow range of foods or cutting out foods that seem to have positive correlation with health (like whole grains) may have unintended consequences, as we don't know precisely why various foods have positive effects--it's probably not just the identified micronutrients.

You do get questions here from time to time that are basically: chicken or turkey? kale or spinach? that suggest some think they can identify the "best" few foods and just eat them, or that it would be better to just eat them, which has always stuck me as deeply weird (as someone into variety).

EAT THEM ALL! Although, I tend to only put kale in my juicing concoctions.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    So his study had his son eat (looking at the photos provided by the article) what looks like 4000-5000 calories of McDonalds every day for 10 days. Afterwards he was 4 pounds of fat and retained water heavier and of course it's not the fact that it was 4000 calories and tons of sodium, it was that the food came from McDonalds that was the problem.

We should have them have a duel to the death with the guys who did the Twinkie diet and the other guy who ate McDonalds and lost weight.
    The victor shall be the one true gospel.
  • ShareenaFulton
    ShareenaFulton Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's hard to criticise what these doctors actually said when all you have to go on is a few lines pulled from what was a books worth of information. That seems to be how our journalists work now, in a bid to desperately draw any advertising profits they can from article clicks.

If a doctor was asked about weight loss and said, "The only way to lose weight is by reducing your calorie intake so that you burn more calories than you consume. You don't need to exercise to lose weight, however this is encouraged to build muscle and keep you healthy. There have also been some studies which show a correlation between the natural bacteria in the gut and peoples weight. Further studies are needed to understand the results. It has been shown however that, while calorie counting is effective for initial weightloss, it is shown to be less effective for continued loss and maintenance over a longer span of years."

From this the media can get so many headlines.

Doctor says "You don't need to exercise to lose weight".

Scientists have found miracle bacteria that will help you shed pounds.

Doctors say counting calories the worst way to diet.

That's how it works. Anything to reel them in.
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I fixed the Daily Mail logo. Wouldn't want them to misrepresent themselves.
    qt2ff2mcp2tc.png
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Oh, also it's a N=1 "study" of course.
  • BodyByBex
    edited May 2015
    Options
    mjffey wrote: »
    One thing I agree with him. It's not standard that everybody who is overweight eats too many cals, and doesn't do enough exercise. If it was that simple, everybody would be slim :-)

For the vast majority, it actually IS that simple. They just don't wanna do it(calorie restriction).

Although, I know people suffering from Cushing's disease. So believe me when I say, I understand what you are trying to say. For some people, it isn't going to be the 'standard' and some have gotten nowhere with exercise and calorie restriction.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Once again, negative comments, has anyone done any research on this subject?. Typical.

The title is misleading. Being a person who had severe digestive issues for 6-12 months. I did my research on the subject. Gut health is probably the most critical part for the human body to function properly.

Oh Pu, dear Pu. Tell me how my gut bacteria can create energy out of nothing to make me fat when I'm not at a surplus.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    daily mail/10
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    jenniferlawrenceokaythumbup.gif
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Once again, negative comments, has anyone done any research on this subject?. Typical.

The title is misleading. Being a person who had severe digestive issues for 6-12 months. I did my research on the subject. Gut health is probably the most critical part for the human body to function properly.

I agree. I had equivalent issues and found out through a nutritionist, doctor, and great PTs that the only way to fight these issues is with a good diet first - a nutritional program. Not just eating less than what you expend - there's a real difference there.

CICO, metabolics, dietary formulation (program), and training (program). Wish I followed it when I was in my 20s more. I know I have much to look forward to knowing what I know now.

You can't outrun a bad diet - maybe if you are in your 20s, but try hitting 40 and beyond. CICO just exemplifies the rest. Calories In (what kind of calorie) and Calories Out (what are you doing). That's a loaded monster right there.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Incoming cleanse regime, detox and supplements?

But in all honesty, I really wish that some legal force in the UK would take the Daily Mail to task over it's continuous spouting of absolute fiction and vitriol... People tend to believe it because it's a "newspaper" when in all really it is nothing but just a junk magazine made with less shiny paper. If I had a bundle of spare cash I think that would be one of the first things I'd do... figure a way to sue them for every single stupid article they print. It would be my new hobby.

There should be some accountability, somewhere, surely...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I agree. I had equivalent issues and found out through a nutritionist, doctor, and great PTs that the only way to fight these issues is with a good diet first - a nutritional program. Not just eating less than what you expend - there's a real difference there.

CICO, metabolics, dietary formulation (program), and training (program). Wish I followed it when I was in my 20s more. I know I have much to look forward to knowing what I know now.

You can't outrun a bad diet - maybe if you are in your 20s, but try hitting 40 and beyond. CICO just exemplifies the rest. Calories In (what kind of calorie) and Calories Out (what are you doing). That's a loaded monster right there.

Yes I have as I have family with issues and I wanted to help them out...so I did some research.

As for the bolded...nutritionist pft...I can get an online course and get a certificate in a weekend, Doctors receive appx 24 hours of nutritional education through out medical school unless they specialize, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/

And PT's well okay but they shouldn't be giving out nutritional advice as they are not RD's.

CICO...that's it...not the kinds of calories....quality is good but quantity is what leads to weight loss/gain.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Stuffing made me fat...

I'd stuff a bit of this in.
    I'd stuff a bit of that in.

Calorie counting is helping me lose weight. FACT.

Stupid newspaper. Stupid research. LOL
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Yes I have as I have family with issues and I wanted to help them out...so I did some research.

As for the bolded...nutritionist pft...I can get an online course and get a certificate in a weekend, Doctors receive appx 24 hours of nutritional education through out medical school unless they specialize, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/

And PT's well okay but they shouldn't be giving out nutritional advice as they are not RD's.

CICO...that's it...not the kinds of calories....quality is good but quantity is what leads to weight loss/gain.

The person I consulted had a Masters degree from an internationally-accredited university and over 10 years of success. All of them gave out the same advice in the end when you bottom-line it - you can't outrun a bad diet. Eat right and you will succeed - that's the long-term vision and it works. Works for me.

You can't outrun a bad diet. Plain and simple.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

The person I consulted had a Masters degree from an internationally-accredited university and over 10 years of success. All of them gave out the same advice in the end when you bottom-line it - you can't outrun a bad diet. Eat right and you will succeed - that's the long-term vision and it works. Works for me.

You can't outrun a bad diet. Plain and simple.
    Doesnt matter how many times you repeat this and put it in bold - it's not gonna make it true. Food has calories. Exercise burns calories. Find a way to balance that equation if you choose and your weight will be what you desire. Even if you're 40

This discussion has been closed.