Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Dinner and snack today: Two garlic srirracha chicken wraps with goat cheese (one is the snack), baked eggplant flowers and arugula with steamed purple and yellow carrots and red onion pickles (those looked so good I had to try it!) This has a total of 737 cals and 89 grams of protein, which is really more than I need, so I might switch out a Quest bar and save the snack wrap for tomorrow. I have a whole box of cookies and cream Quests calling my name.

20150515_162111.jpg

• LilSweet2015
    LilSweet2015 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh....those red onions are happening this weekend at my place! You guys have inspired me.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Oh....those red onions are happening this weekend at my place! You guys have inspired me.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and delicious they are. Literally took less than 10 minutes to make (I have an electric kettle to boil the water). I used a Zatar seasoning mix and some peppercorns and they're yummier than I would have imagined!
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You are so right! Bento's are amazing. They do help with portion control and they make everything look more appealing to eat!
  • LadyAhiru
    LadyAhiru Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi there fellow Bento-ers ;)

I had a 4 day Bento Break (I was on holiday and cooked every day fresh^^)
    But here is my Bento for tommorow.
    I will probably also pack some greek yoghurt and some strawberries since this whole thing only has about 400cal and i have a workout planed for the morning B)

xp9v8fbj5gv5.jpg
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    LadyAhiru wrote: »
    Hi there fellow Bento-ers ;)

I had a 4 day Bento Break (I was on holiday and cooked every day fresh^^)
    But here is my Bento for tommorow.
    I will probably also pack some greek yoghurt and some strawberries since this whole thing only has about 400cal and i have a workout planed for the morning B)

xp9v8fbj5gv5.jpg

Super cute bento box! I love the bunnies! :3
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Lunch on a somewhat cuter scale today. Baymax rice, broccoli, cherry tomatoes and tuna, apples and banana.

84wlmfzigfbq.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    @madiao lol, big hero! awesome!

Monday bento for me is a bit heftier today, coming in at 630Cal. It's rice w/ furikake, beef gyuudon with egg and mixed steamed veg. I have 3 working lunches this week and I'll be staying at a friends place in the city so I don't have to commute on top of my long days, so no bento until Friday after this one :(

uk2h25m8el7j.jpg
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! I have a nice weekend leftovers bento today: fish tacos with onions and peppers, corn that I cut off the cob so that I could fit more into the tiny bento box, mozzarella, and some adorable mini vine-on tomatoes that I found at Trader Joe's. They are the perfect size for bentos!

bskc51xa64ll.jpg
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    wluw0gd8q5pg.jpg
    Today's bento:

Layer one: shrimp with shrimp sauce (in cup), almonds, black grapes, and carrots

Layer two: lemon caper coleslaw with a tomato and ham and cheese roll ups
  • Narcissora
    Options
    I just had to share this:

As of today, I am down ten pounds since I started doing bentos again. Yay!!! Lots of yummy food in moderation is working well!
  • sagj
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »

As of today, I am down ten pounds since I started doing bentos again. Yay!!! Lots of yummy food in moderation is working well!

Awesome job! Way to work those bentos!

As an aside, I think my workouts are making me hungrier because I ripped into my lunch by ten am today ☺️ And that was after waiting 20 minutes of being hungry and a decent sized breakfast! The good news is that I ate that instead of a mini bag of chips so that is good
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options

Awesome!

• SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Finally hit the grocery store, so I have bentos again! Here's the lunch bento which is shrimp, edamame & soba noodles with some sesame oil and smoked sesame seeds, the top tier is rice crackers, sugar snap peas & a Jello egg. The snack bento is not that special, but I wanted to show off my little baby brie :blush:70kg2w74onbq.jpg
    xrniypwppbsl.jpg
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Finally hit the grocery store, so I have bentos again! Here's the lunch bento which is shrimp, edamame & soba noodles with some sesame oil and smoked sesame seeds, the top tier is rice crackers, sugar snap peas & a Jello egg. The snack bento is not that special, but I wanted to show off my little baby brie :blush:70kg2w74onbq.jpg
    xrniypwppbsl.jpg

I love baby cheeses. I don't know why they're so much better than wedges of normal sized cheese.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Happy Monday! I have a nice weekend leftovers bento today: fish tacos with onions and peppers, corn that I cut off the cob so that I could fit more into the tiny bento box, mozzarella, and some adorable mini vine-on tomatoes that I found at Trader Joe's. They are the perfect size for bentos!

bskc51xa64ll.jpg

How do you get the bento to close? I always seem to have a hard time making sure my food stays "below the line" so I can close (the often recessed) lids. I even started to cut my eggs in half as the whole egg is too tall.

• SpecialKitty7
    Options
    xrniypwppbsl.jpg

I love baby cheeses. I don't know why they're so much better than wedges of normal sized cheese.

I don't either, but I found baby brie, baby goat cheese (the Trader Joe's one) and baby Jarlsberg. The brie was spendy, but super tasty.

• Narcissora
    Options

bskc51xa64ll.jpg

How do you get the bento to close? I always seem to have a hard time making sure my food stays "below the line" so I can close (the often recessed) lids. I even started to cut my eggs in half as the whole egg is too tall.

The taco shells are soft, so I just folded the tops over and shoved the lid on. The smaller container's lid is actually raised a little bit, so if something is slightly over the top, the lid will still fit. (One of the tomatoes is sticking up a bit, but the lid still fit. If it didn't, I would just squish the tomato until the lid goes on. I take my pictures before I leave the house, so you never have to see any squishy food).

The real magic is in the elastic band that holds it all together and keeps the lids from popping off. Sometimes I really have to shove the lids on and squish everything down, and the tops would pop off without the band.
  • sagj
    Options

bskc51xa64ll.jpg

The taco shells are soft, so I just folded the tops over and shoved the lid on. The smaller container's lid is actually raised a little bit, so if something is slightly over the top, the lid will still fit. (One of the tomatoes is sticking up a bit, but the lid still fit. If it didn't, I would just squish the tomato until the lid goes on. I take my pictures before I leave the house, so you never have to see any squishy food).

The real magic is in the elastic band that holds it all together and keeps the lids from popping off. Sometimes I really have to shove the lids on and squish everything down, and the tops would pop off without the band.

The same thing is true with me a the band; I love that little piece of elastic! Your taco box looks fantastic btw
  • SnuggleSmacks
    edited May 2015
    Options

Congrats on the loss! For this reason, I often eat on smaller plates and bowls. It looks like so much more food when it's on a salad or sushi plate.