Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    paulaviki wrote: »
    Ok, everyone.... WHICH EXERCISE MACHINE SHOULD I USE AT THE GYM? I'm staying away from the weights for now... thinking about going over there with the bulky guys gives me severe anxiety. What's your favorite cardio machine to use?

As for a confession... I always work on Sundays. Today I went in and saw someone was already working in my place. Apparently I wasn't on the schedule today, probably by mistake. I definitely was not going to complain, and planned to spend the whole day out in the sun after going back to my apartment and grabbing a book. As soon as I got there, I was overcome with a wave of fatigue and had to fight sleep before practically kicking myself out of my apartment hours later. Now I'm a bit better... but what is up with that? I'm so tired of being sleepy all the time. I waste way too many days... and I'm only 21 years old. How am I going to be in ten years?

Here's to hoping exercising regularly will help.

It is true that regular exercise does give you more energy. But I've always felt like that, and ended up having some blood tests for a different reason (I was always thirsty). Turns out I had an underactive thyroid and B12 deficiency.

So as much as I hate the constant advice on here telling people they might have a thyroid problem if they can't lose weight, in this case I think it would be worth you having this checked if you haven't already.

I'm 32 and finally I'm not always falling asleep after work. It's so great.
    My boyfriend's mother thought I might have an underactive thyroid. Last time I got my bloodwork done, they didn't find anything that much out of the ordinary, except a greater than normal amount of bilirubin. I was prescribed melatonin as a teenager because I couldn't stop falling asleep in class, no matter how hard I tried (I once brought a bottle of water and would literally splash my face with it... didn't work). I also had low iron during that time. Maybe it's time for me to pay the doctor a visit :confounded:
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ok, everyone.... WHICH EXERCISE MACHINE SHOULD I USE AT THE GYM? I'm staying away from the weights for now... thinking about going over there with the bulky guys gives me severe anxiety. What's your favorite cardio machine to use?

As for a confession... I always work on Sundays. Today I went in and saw someone was already working in my place. Apparently I wasn't on the schedule today, probably by mistake. I definitely was not going to complain, and planned to spend the whole day out in the sun after going back to my apartment and grabbing a book. As soon as I got there, I was overcome with a wave of fatigue and had to fight sleep before practically kicking myself out of my apartment hours later. Now I'm a bit better... but what is up with that? I'm so tired of being sleepy all the time. I waste way too many days... and I'm only 21 years old. How am I going to be in ten years?

Cardio machine - I did the elliptical for a while but since my gym put Solitaire on the treadmills, I'm back to that... I can't run anyway, so I just walk at 3.5mph (fairly fast for my height) and increase the incline progressively... 8% for an hour is relatively easy for me now. I did 9% last week but my calves have been screaming since, so I'll try again next week...
    I can't run either. More like... I'm scared to run. Have always been bad at it. I ended up doing 45 minutes of walking up the treadmill at about 3.5 MPH on a steep incline. I was sweating buckets, but it felt liberating. Then 15 minutes of stairmaster and 10 of cardiowave. About two years ago I was able to spend up to 3 hours (yes, I seriously did that one time) on the cardiowave. This time 10 minutes made me feel like I was dying. Urgh.
    How is your iron? My 19 yo daughter has really low iron and she's constantly exhausted.
    ETA: oops - sorry, I can't read. Sounds like it could be your iron.
    Honestly, it still probably is low. Haven't checked it in a while. I'm bad about eating things with iron. I never crave meat, for one thing... and if I had my way I would live off of fruit and bread :confounded: I'm pretty sure bread has iron, though not sure how much... isn't there a way to add iron to my daily MFP goals?
    Yes, you do it under diary settings. You can select up to 5 macros/micros.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    paulaviki wrote: »

It is true that regular exercise does give you more energy. But I've always felt like that, and ended up having some blood tests for a different reason (I was always thirsty). Turns out I had an underactive thyroid and B12 deficiency.

So as much as I hate the constant advice on here telling people they might have a thyroid problem if they can't lose weight, in this case I think it would be worth you having this checked if you haven't already.

I'm 32 and finally I'm not always falling asleep after work. It's so great.
    My boyfriend's mother thought I might have an underactive thyroid. Last time I got my bloodwork done, they didn't find anything that much out of the ordinary, except a greater than normal amount of bilirubin. I was prescribed melatonin as a teenager because I couldn't stop falling asleep in class, no matter how hard I tried (I once brought a bottle of water and would literally splash my face with it... didn't work). I also had low iron during that time. Maybe it's time for me to pay the doctor a visit :confounded:
    Francl27 wrote: »

Cardio machine - I did the elliptical for a while but since my gym put Solitaire on the treadmills, I'm back to that... I can't run anyway, so I just walk at 3.5mph (fairly fast for my height) and increase the incline progressively... 8% for an hour is relatively easy for me now. I did 9% last week but my calves have been screaming since, so I'll try again next week...
    I can't run either. More like... I'm scared to run. Have always been bad at it. I ended up doing 45 minutes of walking up the treadmill at about 3.5 MPH on a steep incline. I was sweating buckets, but it felt liberating. Then 15 minutes of stairmaster and 10 of cardiowave. About two years ago I was able to spend up to 3 hours (yes, I seriously did that one time) on the cardiowave. This time 10 minutes made me feel like I was dying. Urgh.
    How is your iron? My 19 yo daughter has really low iron and she's constantly exhausted.
    ETA: oops - sorry, I can't read. Sounds like it could be your iron.
    Honestly, it still probably is low. Haven't checked it in a while. I'm bad about eating things with iron. I never crave meat, for one thing... and if I had my way I would live off of fruit and bread :confounded: I'm pretty sure bread has iron, though not sure how much... isn't there a way to add iron to my daily MFP goals?

Well you can add it but a lot of people don't add it to their entries so I don't know how accurate it's going to be if you're using random entries.

Make sure to take a multivitamin too... it helps.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll be sure to do it. Amping up my water intake probably won't hurt, either.

Another gym confession: When someone gets on a machine in front of me, where I can see their progress, it makes working out so much easier because it's somehow a weird form of entertainment for me. The guy in front of me was a monster... he ran at 11 MPH for 90 minutes, burning a cajillion calories. When he got off the machine he was dripping sweat all over the place. I probably would have felt inadequate if I had been next to him, but he was in front of me so all was good :smiley: Also, if someone gets on the machine next to me, I get much more competitive and am able to crank up the difficulty.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »

I'll add my amazement to that one. And the usual attack crew showed up.
    I do wonder how rare the actual special snowflake is? I mean genuine metabolic differences which make it super hard to either gain or lose weight when on a diet that would cause another body with the same stats to behave 'typically'. I know we always see 'We are all different' on the threads a lot, but actually we're pretty similar on the whole. Slight variations are expected, but I wonder how many people are way out of the realm of 'normal' without medical reasons.

You can start with trying to figure out how many people are IR, but the issue there is a lot of people are for years without being diagnosed, because it takes a lot of jumping through hoops and a doctor knowledgeable enough to do the right tests. Most people who are can eat more calories on low carb than calories with carbs, and lose more weight - still at a deficit, but a much smaller one to make the same progress.

On top of that there are conditions like lipedema, I think it's 1 in 10 women have it, might be higher, but it's abnormal fat deposits in your lower body, and no diet will get rid of them, no matter what the resident know-it-alls out there think. You can be anorexic and eat 300 calories a day, and still have the deposits in your legs, a size 00 on top and a size 18 on the bottom. The only way to get rid of it is through a specific kind of water assisted liposuction, and that only reduces what's already there, won't prevent new deposits from building after. Otherwise, best anyone can do is try to control it, which is usually the same therapies @ythannah and I have to use.

Ours is lymphedema, the hereditary version, which is 1 in 100k people, while other people have the much more common secondary, which usually happens as a side effect from surgery or cancer treatment. If it's caught early, it can be controlled somewhat, but left undiagnosed and unattended, it can get really bad. Again, I can become anorexic and lose the majority of my body fat, but it doesn't get rid of the accumulated fluid, that requires a whole other protocol of medical treatments that may or may not help.

There are other conditions with their own quirks that change the CO portion so drastically, the usual whining about it's CICO get over it just sounds clueless. Then factor in that a site like this will have a higher proportion of people with these kinds of medical issues, because people who don't have them are less likely to need a weight loss site to begin with.

TL;DR: Probably a hell of a lot more than the usual suspects care to acknowledge.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options

Exercise will definitely help but try taking liquid b12. Someone mentioned it earlier and I can attest that taking it regularly does help with energy. I mostly run on the treadmill. I am one of those people who like the treadmill. I like to watch TV and zone out.
    Thanks! I think I'm going to try it out. I'm just sick of being in a constant state of exhaustion!

And running on the treadmill while watching TV sounds like it would make working out a lot more fun. I want to invest in getting a treadmill or elliptical to put in my apartment, but I'm scared of annoying my downstairs neighbors. I do have a tiny stationary bike, but it doesn't feel like it works as well as I would like. I don't break out into a sweat until about 30 minutes in! And even then it's barely a sweat! My shirt from the gym today hardly had any dry spots. I feel pretty gross, but I haven't felt this good about myself in a long while. :) I need to make this into a habit.

If you have downstairs neighbors skip the treadmill. I never lived below anyone before until I bought my condo and I can attest it's really annoying. I swear my upstairs neighbors keep their kids locked up all day and release them periodically to run maniacally over my head. Totally annoying. Thank god I am rarely home at any kind of a decent hour when small kids would be awake. I will never live under anyone again.
  • FluffySandwich
    Options

Exercise will definitely help but try taking liquid b12. Someone mentioned it earlier and I can attest that taking it regularly does help with energy. I mostly run on the treadmill. I am one of those people who like the treadmill. I like to watch TV and zone out.
    Thanks! I think I'm going to try it out. I'm just sick of being in a constant state of exhaustion!

And running on the treadmill while watching TV sounds like it would make working out a lot more fun. I want to invest in getting a treadmill or elliptical to put in my apartment, but I'm scared of annoying my downstairs neighbors. I do have a tiny stationary bike, but it doesn't feel like it works as well as I would like. I don't break out into a sweat until about 30 minutes in! And even then it's barely a sweat! My shirt from the gym today hardly had any dry spots. I feel pretty gross, but I haven't felt this good about myself in a long while. :) I need to make this into a habit.

If you have downstairs neighbors skip the treadmill. I never lived below anyone before until I bought my condo and I can attest it's really annoying. I swear my upstairs neighbors keep their kids locked up all day and release them periodically to run maniacally over my head. Totally annoying. Thank god I am rarely home at any kind of a decent hour when small kids would be awake. I will never live under anyone again.
    Hahaha, I thought so! The couple above us just moved out, which I'm thankful for... because our bedroom was obviously below theirs and things could be... very... awkward. :confounded:

Do any of you wax your legs? I bought a waxing kit and I'm hating it and the world. It made me realize that I suppose I don't deal with pain very well. It hurts and it never gets all of the hairs, and now the part of my leg that I waxed is sore and very red. No fun at all. Should I stick with shaving or is there a way to make this better? :(
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Hahaha, I thought so! The couple above us just moved out, which I'm thankful for... because our bedroom was obviously below theirs and things could be... very... awkward. :confounded:

Do any of you wax your legs? I bought a waxing kit and I'm hating it and the world. It made me realize that I suppose I don't deal with pain very well. It hurts and it never gets all of the hairs, and now the part of my leg that I waxed is sore and very red. No fun at all. Should I stick with shaving or is there a way to make this better? :(

Try sugaring, you can find recipes online to make your own. IMO, a lot less painful than wax.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I think it's really hard to do it yourself because it hurts so much. Do you have a masochistic friend who would enjoy doing it for you?

I got waxed ONCE and only once. It was a few days before going on vacation and I had a full leg and bikini wax. The actual process was pretty mortifying because I had a Brazilian (NO idea why I did that), although the lower legs hurt more than that area. Anyway, over the next 24 hours every hair follicle turned into a tiny pustule so that on vacation I looked like an infected and recently plucked chicken. Not sexy, or hot weather friendly. Also the leg hair started growing back 3 days after the waxing so I felt like a hairy freak.

I do know people who swear by it though, but I think it depends on the person. I am able to successfully wax my 'stache - I have to hold onto the bathroom counter when I whip the strip off, but I've got used to it now.
  • FluffySandwich
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Try sugaring, you can find recipes online to make your own. IMO, a lot less painful than wax.
    Tried it before but it didn't work very well for me. Maybe it's because I'm just doing it wrong :tongue: I'll give it another try on Tuesday and see if I can remove the extra, annoying hairs.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

I get my arm pits waxed and brazillians I love it they're such life savers!! Legs, just stick to shaving those as I can't afford to have them waxed all the time and there is no way in hell I'd wax myself!
  • FluffySandwich
    edited May 2015
    Options

I think it's really hard to do it yourself because it hurts so much. Do you have a masochistic friend who would enjoy doing it for you?

I got waxed ONCE and only once. It was a few days before going on vacation and I had a full leg and bikini wax. The actual process was pretty mortifying because I had a Brazilian (NO idea why I did that), although the lower legs hurt more than that area. Anyway, over the next 24 hours every hair follicle turned into a tiny pustule so that on vacation I looked like an infected and recently plucked chicken. Not sexy, or hot weather friendly. Also the leg hair started growing back 3 days after the waxing so I felt like a hairy freak.

I do know people who swear by it though, but I think it depends on the person. I am able to successfully wax my 'stache - I have to hold onto the bathroom counter when I whip the strip off, but I've got used to it now.
    My mom would probably do it for me, but she's a plane ride away from here :( Then again, she's coming up for my graduation soon... so maybe I'll ask her!

Also, yikes! Maybe waxing won't be for me after all. I'm waxing because I'm going on vacation as well, even though it's almost a month away at this point. I was told by someone that it took three months for hair to grow back, and I'm hoping for that.
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

I get my arm pits waxed and brazillians I love it they're such life savers!! Legs, just stick to shaving those as I can't afford to have them waxed all the time and there is no way in hell I'd wax myself!
    I'm really scared to get a brazillian. I think I'd be so embarrassed :(
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    ChipChocolatePancake Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was trying so hard to read through this entire thread before posting one of my own confessions, but after about a month of attempting to catch up, I finally give up!

Confession #1: When I found out about the loose skin problems associated with extreme weight loss, I stopped working out and trying to lose weight (after already losing 60 of the 130lbs I need to lose). Even if I get plastic surgery for the loose skin, I would be paying tons of money just to have a huge scar.

Then, a few weeks ago, by chance, I saw a picture of someone who had a tattoo to cover a tummy tuck scar, and suddenly it hit me that if I get the scar tattooed over, then I won't have to explain to all of my friends/family/future partners why it looks like a shark bit me in half. My motivation is back!

Confession #2: It scares me how important attractiveness is to my weight loss goals. You would think that someone who has been obese since pre-k would have given up on such vanity, but no such luck :/

(I'm even judging myself really hard for this post, so it's okay for you to judge!)

Welcome to the thread!! :)

Thanks! So happy to finally contribute!
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I was trying so hard to read through this entire thread before posting one of my own confessions, but after about a month of attempting to catch up, I finally give up!

Confession #1: When I found out about the loose skin problems associated with extreme weight loss, I stopped working out and trying to lose weight (after already losing 60 of the 130lbs I need to lose). Even if I get plastic surgery for the loose skin, I would be paying tons of money just to have a huge scar.

Then, a few weeks ago, by chance, I saw a picture of someone who had a tattoo to cover a tummy tuck scar, and suddenly it hit me that if I get the scar tattooed over, then I won't have to explain to all of my friends/family/future partners why it looks like a shark bit me in half. My motivation is back!

Confession #2: It scares me how important attractiveness is to my weight loss goals. You would think that someone who has been obese since pre-k would have given up on such vanity, but no such luck :/

(I'm even judging myself really hard for this post, so it's okay for you to judge!)

In my experience, once you have one scar, it's not so stressful to think about. I have one that runs from my sternum to my navel, and one really ugly botched C-Section scar (ironically due to loose skin from weight loss, he sewed it up wrong). If I ever have the means to get surgery, I'd need more than just a tummy tuck, so I've resigned myself to looking like a Sally doll if I ever have it done.

FU2903lg.jpg

I think you're right...I have a couple of small scars on my stomach already from a surgery 4 years ago, and I don't feel as though they have any impact on my happiness. I also knew a girl in high school who had open heart surgery as a baby, and she had a large scar running down her chest, but I never thought she was unattractive in any way because of it, so I feel like others won't care at all. I think that once I have the scar it won't be as big of a deal as I imagine it to be.
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    Options

Well, you could lose 130 lbs and not need a tummy tuck at all, depending on your age and genetics...

Haha that would be a dream come true! I am young (22), so I have age on my side.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Haha I got my armpits waxed once. Holy ingrown hairs. Never again... I still get them with shaving, but much less (and yeah that's using scrubbing gloves all the time).

I keep saying that if I win the lottery the first thing I'll do is laser hair removal... then a tummy tuck. But I can't justify spending $10k for that (and I did spend $3k to have my teeth fixed, but it was getting necessary as food was getting stuck in there all the time). At least nobody seems my horrible belly, well except my husband. I'm not sure I'd like a scar more anyway...
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    Options

I have struggled with weight my whole life and my primary reason to lose has always been vanity. Now that I am older I also think a bit on health but not much. Mostly I just want to look good. No judgement here!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options

I love the arc trainer, personally. I feel like ibgey the best return on that. I try to mix it up with jogging though, so I could (theoretically) run outside if I was somewhere without a gym for an extended period.
  • everybodyismad
    everybodyismad Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    when it comes to cardio at the gym, I just stick with the elliptical because I dunno what else to do lmao

the treadmill is bad for your knees apparently, and I get bored on the bike way too quickly, so all that's left for cardio is the elliptical or jogging on the street the old fashioned way
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    edited May 2015
    Options

I could've written this post so no judgment here!!!

I did the same thing years ago: lost a lot of weight, got depressed over the loose skin thing, and gained all the weight back (and then some). It was seeing pics of tattoos over surgery scars that got me over that rough patch this time. I already have tattoos and will gladly get a few more if I can financially swing the surgery someday!

I've also been obese since forever, too. Which means 30+ years of being insulted or completely invisible because of my weight. So yeah, attractiveness is definitely part of my weight loss goals. :)

In some ways I feel like it means more to people who have never fit the socially accepted "attractive" weight. Like, it's always hovering in the back of our minds what we're missing out on, and we glorify skinny. Especially when I was a teenager, I often had to remind myself that skinny does not equal happy.

Edit: grammar
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the scars on my ankle and shoulder at all. Actually, I'm kinda bummed at how much the shoulder scar has faded.