Ayurvedic nutrition for weight loss (and general sanity)

Options
margaretlb4
margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
Has anyone else worked with ayurvedic principles for weightloss? I am beginning to work with an ayurvedic nutritionist through an app called "Vida" - so far I'm really enjoying it. The main simple instruction she has given me is to think about ways to slow down in my life and also to sip lemon water throughout the day. She also has given me a digestive lassi recipe that i'm keen to try. And - and this is startling - she has looked at my diary for my last 8 or so pounds of weight loss and said that I might not be one of these people who DOESN'T need high protein for weight loss.

It also may depend on the week of my period. So this is interesting and without going nuts about it, I'm going to try and see what I should eat for the 1st through 4th weeks of my period (more or less protein that my body may crave...etc) and see what happens. Very curious to see if this helps. It sure makes sense when she talks about it, just paying attention intuitively to what your body wants....we'll see if it wants french fries.

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Does this count as woo?
    Also Dr. Oz is involved.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a quack.

OP: Just eat at reasonable deficit and exercise!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of it so I did a search. Still not sure what to think of it, but it's interesting. I looked some of the herbs up and they do have an established history of medicinal uses, and some even have a few preliminary studies to back up the claims.

I'd be interested in hearing your results, if you don't get too jaded by the negative responses you'll likely get to share them.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Are you paying to consult this service?

How did she determine your nutrient needs?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Does this count as woo?
    Also Dr. Oz is involved.

It's woo.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

This.
    evileen99 wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Does this count as woo?
    Also Dr. Oz is involved.

It's woo.

Most likely.
    Has anyone else worked with ayurvedic principles for weightloss? I am beginning to work with an ayurvedic nutritionist through an app called "Vida" - so far I'm really enjoying it. The main simple instruction she has given me is to think about ways to slow down in my life and also to sip lemon water throughout the day. She also has given me a digestive lassi recipe that i'm keen to try. And - and this is startling - she has looked at my diary for my last 8 or so pounds of weight loss and said that I might not be one of these people who DOESN'T need high protein for weight loss.

It also may depend on the week of my period. So this is interesting and without going nuts about it, I'm going to try and see what I should eat for the 1st through 4th weeks of my period (more or less protein that my body may crave...etc) and see what happens. Very curious to see if this helps. It sure makes sense when she talks about it, just paying attention intuitively to what your body wants....we'll see if it wants french fries.

Why? There is nothing special in this plan and it will not cause weight loss unless you eat at a calorie deficit.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I feel as if you may have been had. Just eat a deficit and exercise and the pounds will just melt off. Although I do have to agree with you MFP is a bit overzealous with their protein suggestions.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I had to stop at "sip lemon water throughout the day."

If I went any further, I'd probably go on a rampage.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    i have not heard of this but i will research next time i am at the library. i am always interested in adding new things to my repertoire. thanks for sharing. :smile:
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I drink water with lemon all day every day. All it does is make water more palatable to me.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight. All this stuff isn't necessary
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think there's quite a bit to Ayruvedic- certainly paying more attention to what your body needs and being mindful. Also that aryuvedic isn't just diet- but a lifestyle. One of its basic principals are doshas- dominate body types. Many that are overweight, or have had a hard time losing weight tend to be Kapha type. Recommended for that type to avoid rich, heavy foods and instead have light, dry foods (eg rice, quinoa, salads). Calorie and portion control are key for this type. Interestingly, breakfast is really important for the other 2 types (Vata, Pitta) but not for Kapha type as that can result in consuming too many calories in the day.
    OP - I'm interested in your program and the results you see from this.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    It's woo. Pseudoscience. Total bunk. Take your pick.

Then again, so is most religion. I'd never tell someone who ate kosher or halal that they're wrong for doing that. If that's what you believe, then that's what you believe.

Just don't make the mistake of thinking that there's any science whatsoever behind it.
  • margaretlb4
    Options

Thank you MFP, for reminding me that people are self righteous and close-minded.

I hesitate to even bother writing anything but all calories are not created equal and there are plenty of things to do with digestion that aren't related to calories in and out.

• margaretlb4
    Options

I am paying $99 for three months, once weekly facetime consultations for an hour (Through the site) and I text whenever I have questions and she sends me recs.

She determines my needs bc I answer a questionnare, discuss how things are going weekly and send her all my food logs. I was a competitive swimmer in college and after so have worked with nutritionists at a high level, and I'm impressed with her knowledge. Despite some of the folks who've posted on here, there's not much, um, "woo."

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Thank you MFP, for reminding me that people are self righteous and close-minded.

I hesitate to even bother writing anything but all calories are not created equal and there are plenty of things to do with digestion that aren't related to calories in and out.

Why even ask about it when it is evident you've already drunk the kool aid? Sorry..the lemon water?

Seriously. What they said has meaning. Doesn't mean they are self-righteous and close-minded. If anything, that's how you are coming off.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    "Ayurveda is a 5,000-year-old system of natural healing that has its origins in the Vedic culture of India. Although suppressed during years of foreign occupation, Ayurveda has been enjoying a major resurgence in both its native land and throughout the world."

Predates Dr. Oz by quite a bit.
  • margaretlb4
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Why even ask about it when it is evident you've already drunk the kool aid? Sorry..the lemon water?

Seriously. What they said has meaning. Doesn't mean they are self-righteous and close-minded. If anything, that's how you are coming off.

I'm talking about tone. It's not how I like to treat people, even when i don't agree with them. There's a nicer way to say things.

I also think that all calories are not created equal. 500 calories of kool aid do not make your stomach feel the same as 500 calories of healthier things.

And you are right, I probably should have used "self-righteous and close-minded. That is stooping.