WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Options

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'm back. I have about 11 pages and over 300 posts to catch up on, but wanted to drop in here to say hello. It's been an absolutely wonderful 2 1/2 weeks of vacation (without DH) in Honolulu followed immediately by a visit by my brother and his new girlfriend. If 'home is where the heart is' then I really do feel Hawaii is 'home'. It's not the weather or the beauty or the food... it's the PEOPLE that make it so special for me. Forgot how much I miss my friends there. Back to my humble life in Denver, it feels so empty and lonely. Having an active social life cut into time I would have spent reading this board.

I got a lot of time in the ocean which I hope will hold me until the next time I can get to a beach. I find salt water swimming so therapeutic.

Heather: I did read your book, savoring it at bedtime. Marvelous read. I'll post a review soon.

Stay well - We can do this!

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    20,000 steps
    three and a half hours walking dogs in beautiful weather
    two hours on the exercise bike
    15 minutes working in the yard
    two hour line dance class

smiley-sad010.gif Tomorrow I go to the dentist in the afternoon....I hate going, but I love my teeth so I never miss an appointment

smiley-sad010.gifA week after my trip, I'm still a pound over what I weighed before I left, but I'm sure that continued vigilance will get me back to where I want to be.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hello everyone! 11 pm here and finished reading the posts. We got a lot done today. The mom and step dad of the young man that is buying our house stopped by and wanted to buy our riding lawn mower. I showed them other things in the house that we were selling and told them they could stop by this Sunday to get first choice of things that they want for their son. They're really excited about the house and really love it. They said their son will be living better than them. They are co-signing for him.

Up until talking to them I never really felt like it was a done deal, but now I feel it is. Whew! What a relief!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Mary - Score! It would be great if the new folks would buy some of your stuff! Keep us posted!

Pip - I agree about giving a new instructor a few chances, but this class was not my cup of tea and I can't envision it being much different than today. Too long a drive to be mediocre. I love the picture of the monkey feet. I thought that was what you were talking about. How do you run in those without any arch support?

Kim - I got a chuckle out of what you said to Naomi about her job.

Sylvia - speaking of chuckles - I laughed so hard at your jetted tub tale. So glad you got your slippery little self out on dry land okay. I would hate for you to have to spend the rest of your vaca in the tub!

Spent a little time seeing if I could get my kitty interested in learning to fetch. Mmmm not so much! She is never motivated by food - definitely DOES NOT take after her momma! Eating was not so good today but I didn't eat after dinner. Doing pretty well with that goal. I got an email from the membership director at the Y beside my neighborhood. He needs a Sunday worker and wants to talk to me about it. The thing that would make this spot so good for me is that it is in the church that I like to attend. Soooo I figure I can go to church and just stay to work my shift. Win - win! I haven't been going to church for the last few years because I got in the habit of working at school every Sunday just to keep my head above water for the week. This location is literally around the corner! I could even walk over the hill to it (though that would be challenging in the hot humid TN summer). I'll let you know what develops. I'm working on arranging a time to go to see my sister in Kansas. She has metastatic breast cancer and is doing pretty well right now. She has scans tomorrow and will get results and plan out the next round of chemo. Then we'll discuss a good date for a visit. It might be in July when my nephew who teaches in Hong Kong will be home. I'd love to see him. My niece and her family live in the same town as my sister so I see her each time I go. I haven't seen my nephew in about 3 years.

I cannot tell you all how much you mean to me and the encouragement I get just knowing there are so many of you who care about me.

Toni in Tennessee
  • JoanMichelleAmena
    JoanMichelleAmena Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    terri_mom Years ago my daughter was a teenager hoping against hope to be asked to the prom by a boy who was her best friend and secret crush. Chances are he had no idea his best friend was desperately in love with him, but I knew how much my daughter cared for him. He asked another girl who he barely knew to the prom, and that girl later wore the prom tee shirt to a youth night event, without knowing how my daughter had wished to be the boy's prom date. Just the sight of her wearing that prom tee shirt in front of my daughter, physically hurt my heart. I remember how much the depth of my feelings surprised me. My daughter didn't seem to even notice her shirt, and I felt so silly to react that way over a teenage prom date disappointment. I found out then that Moms do sometimes hurt when their children seem to be rejected, sometimes more than the child hurts. By the way, the next year she asked another guy to accompany her on prom night, and she was also invited to a different school's prom. About three years later, her high school best friend disclosed that he was gay, and my daughter helped him through a tough time dealing with his family's rejection.
    Annr Could you post "Becca's Healthy Hints"? I bet I would learn something.
    megblair1 You deserve accolades for responding to so many of us in a positive way! 38 degrees in the summer! We've been running our air conditioner here in Alabama day and night for almost two months!
    Lillian Your little granddaughter is a doll! I have one about that same sweet size!
    piccd34 Will I ever even understand those stats? From a fit bit? I am clearly an unfit bit! Did you burn 950 calories or eat them? Whichever way, you are awesome!
    Barbie I can relate to naps and walking with dogs in beautiful weather. Also have a dear friend who bravely fought through rehab after knee replacement surgery.
    Kim in N. Cal. Probably time for me to start counting steps. I do like to hike as long as the trail is relatively flat. Not a good trail close by though, and our neighborhood is too hilly for my foot problem (can't spell plantar faciitis.) About to start Y membership soon. Hiking Brushy Peak sounds wonderful!
    naomi2015 I think if I had stitches in my back, I would be lolly gagging around, not working hard like you!
    Joyce Yay for you taking the bull by the horns! And yay for husband attacking bushes!
    Mary Since you are going to Vegas, have you ever been to Hoover Dam? Zion Park and Bryce Canyon are also pretty amazing.
    Cynthia Sorry that you are sick! Take care!
    Heather 2 of my favorite children's picture books: Big Chickens Go to Town by Helakoski and Ladybug Girl by Soman. Best of luck making the travel arrangements for your husband's surgery.
    grandmallie Good luck with your kitchen project! My husband and I tackle DIY projects together too, although ours are pretty simple. Neither one of us could figure them out alone!
    SSC1958 I need that shepherd's pie recipe! My husband has been on a quest for a shepherd's pie for the last 32 years! He says none of them compare with the delicious shepherd's pie he had in his elementary school cafeteria!
    Terri Just read your second post about your son. All that sounds great! He is bouncing back with even better options!
    peachstategal Our dogs have caused a lot unnecessary household repairs through the years. Our mini dachshund chihuahua mix only weighed about 8 pounds. We figured she cost us about $600 a pound the year we replaced carpet! She was our first housedog, and we finally trained her before we went bankrupt! I miss that sweet, sassy little one!
    Toni My Y membership will start next week, so I benefitted from hearing about your persistence in getting the right classes.
    Lesley in Tasmania How wonderful! You have to describe Somerset beach in Tasmania for me.
    Lisa H. Congrats on your body fat decrease! I could celebrate that too!
    Rori I visited Maui 2 years ago, and snorkeled for the first time. Have some vivid mental pictures that will stay with me always! The views just outside Denver were incredible too! Lucky you! I agree, people matter most.
    Mary in MN Glad your move is going well! Moving sounds like a mammoth task to me! It's that bulging basement!

Still eating healthy, and feeling good about it! Oatmeal for breakfast, baked chicken and cantaloupe, turkey sausage and cabbage, steamed squash. Didn't make time for exercise today. Uh OH! Time for a dance party first thing tomorrow, and an afternoon walk. Headed to the lake tomorrow with no internet for a couple of days, but lots of time to exercise and parents there who have become very dedicated to healthy eating, so I should stay on track! My mother and I call my 81 year old Dad, the Food Police! He loves to cook, but only healthy meals allowed in his kitchen!

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Will have to say I skimmed posts today. Was busy got home late tonight and up early tomorrow for more of the same.

Heather, what is an ICU sister? I know from reading some books on nursing in UK, a sister is like a charge nurse or a head nurse. Am I right? I can't imagine a city so big that you have to take some one who has had a hernia repair home on the train right after he recovers. I hope your alternate plans work out tomorrow.

Naomi, our service is 75 minutes long. He sticks to his time. I wouldn't mind if 'the spirit' led him to preach longer. Being a preacher's kid, I like things like that. He is a good preacher, not great but that's OK with me. It's the music that speaks directly to my heart. I felt it the first Sunday I went there and I knew it was the place for me. Some of the girls here went through that with me and I still appreciate their encouragement.

Tere, the dress is our church is like you said. Some dress up, mostly the old folks, others come in their jeans. I do feel that as choir members we are part of the worship leaders. Sine we don't wear robes, we do need to at least look nice. We have one girl the choir that comes in jean shorts and shorty top with all her tattoos showing. I know I am judging her and that isn't my job but I do believe that as worship leaders we need to look better.

Katla, maybe an oral drug would help my compliance better. the bottle would be sitting in my 8x10 baking pan with all my other medicines and would jsut go into the days pill container. I will have to talk to her about that. Thanks!!!

Terri in Tennessee, I found out I had MS in 1997, worked until 1999. have remained very stable most of that time. So I can't complain at all. It came at a time when my daughter was in high school. In 1999, she was graduating and I was an empty nester and I think it helped me to deal with just marriage between my husband and I. I realy enjoyed that time. It also made me really think that I had my priorities in life all messed up. Nursing had always come first and everything a distant thought. So in a way it was a blessing. Anyway, I thank God for my MS. It was the kick in the butt I needed.

Mary, Minnesota, Yeah! Not only did they want your house, they want some of the things in it!!!!

Went to my nephews son high school graduation. This little guy was born on the day I was being diagnosed with MS so he is special to me. His Dad is also. He was an alcoholic and didn't realize it. the day after my Dad was buried, he put himself into an long term inpatient facility for chemical abuse. He said Dad's death made him realize how much he had missed in life because of his alcohol use. That was back in 1998 and his one year coin or whatever they get in AA is buried at Dad's grave site and he dedicates his life to Dad now. This guy has taught us all a lot. Anyway, we have had wonderful weather, espescially in the evenings. Well that stopped today. It was supposed to be at 7 PM in the football stadium, at 3 they called and said it was moved into the gym due to weather. at 6:30 they decided to move it back outside! So I didn't wear anything to keep me warm. Luckily I was wearing my jeans jacket and did take along a jacket which sure felt warm. By the end of the graduation, and his name is Wyber which was the last name, it wasn't jsut misting anymore, it was raining. Feel so sorry for those graduates, by the end of the line, the pictures I'm sure were awful, they didn't have a good processinal out of the stadium, everyone including the graduates were rushing out.

Have a good day tomorrow, or is it today for some of you???

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Joyce - you are right. I C U is intensive care unit. A sister is the nurse in charge.
    We weren't coming back on the train, just getting a 45 minute taxi to the local station where I parked the car to go in. Now it's a taxi both ways or a ftiend yo pivk ud up. Oh the traffic! ! ! !,
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just a quick greeting. I was awake literally every ten minutes coughing and had a temperature this morning. Doctor wanted to see me because of the temperature. No bronchitis or pneumonia, luckily; "just" a flu. Back to bed; no work today.

Cynthia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies,
    today is a busy day.. finally going back to see my DFIL and from there to tractor supply to pick up fencing and posts for backyard...then mowing the lawn and weed wacking...and doing 2 loads of laundry..
    going to be a busy weekend too.. at least Saterday... will try and check in later <3
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Cynthia ~ I have had a cough and sore throat for going on 3 weeks. Yesterday, I bought Cold Eeze lozengers and awoke today with no sore throat. Also too 12 hr generic Sudafed D.

Kim ~ Thanks for keeping us up on your "Fun" things. I need to incorporate some fun things in my life. I agree with you about what does Naomi do. I imagine her as being a minister on the move.

Lisa ~ congrats on your inches and body mass loss

Rori ~ Your trip sounds fantastic.

Mary ~ So glad you are making good progress in getting ready for your move. I do not envy you.

Toni ~ Prayers for your sister

Going to see my mom in the nursing home today. 1-1/2 hours to get there; stay a couple of hours to visit, and 1-1/2 hours back again.

Carol/Peach

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wow, the spelling at the end of my last paragraph. It was because DH was bringing me breakfast in bed and I didn't have time to check it. :laugh:

Looking at my fish pie recipe yesterday I remembered that there are four quartered hard boiled eggs in it. That's why it is so nice IMHO. LOVE hard boiled eggs.

DH at the hospital having his pre op checks. I did all my exercises this morning and then did four pages of writing, but I don't feel brilliant. Very achy in my lower half. Around my groin and down my legs. UTI ??? I am prone to them. I've got loads of tidying and gardening to do for all our visitors, so I've been doing some of that, but I feel exhausted. I hope it's not some kind of flu as if DH catches it he won't be having his op. :ohwell:

I will take some painkillers and hope it's just tiredness.

Just heard that my tenant had left the bathroom floor covered in puddles of water and there is a leak around the shower door and soap dish. No wonder water was coming through downstairs ceiling. How can anyone leave water all over the floor? And the bathroom is growing mould. Not surprised! ! ! Now I've got to pay for a new shower door to be fitted. I HATE my rental and want to get rid of it. To do that I have to extend the lease. Big expense. I am still waiting after 10 years for the legacy from DMIL so I can do this. My ex is a pain in the @#×÷+.

Love Heather x x x x x UK
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Busy day ahead. We have a charity event this evening so I will have to try to clean myself up. I think I broke all of my fingernails digging through things. No time for a manicure. Exercise day today. That should help stretch me out and get rid of all the sore muscles from lifting furniture.

Have a great day!

Mary from Minnesota
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I'm lying in a big soft bed in Kansas City. Hubby is still sleeping but I gave up. Fitbit says I slept 2 hours and 11 minutes. I don't think hubby did much better. He's been restless all night too. Our flight got in at about 10:00 local time last night. So we were awake from 6am Madrid time yesterday till about 11:30 last night local time. So I figure it's about 24 hours without sleep, but once I got here I still didn't sleep well. Too tired to sleep, or maybe it was my feet and legs. They blew up like inflated surgical gloves. I could hardly walk, it hurt so bad. My entire lower half looked like the Michelin man. Long flights are the pits!

So, I'm going to take a long walk around the hotel this morning, then we will drive home and bail our dogs out of jail. I missed my dogs something awful! Is it horrible to say I missed my dogs more than my grandkids? At least my son kept me updated on the kids while we were gone, but the kennel never emailed once to say the dogs missed me. Ten days is too long to be away from them! Not to mention it's going to cost about $500 to get them out.

I'm not going to weigh myself for a couple of days because I have so much salt/water weight to get rid of. Once I don't feel so bloated, I'll get back on the scale and see what the damage is. I feel sure I have gained some. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to getting back on my regular diet and getting back into the studio. There is a retired lady whose daughter called me from Florida and asked if her mom could come to my place for some pottery lessons. So, I told her yes. She's starting next week. I've never given pottery lessons, and don't know the first thing about it, but I guess I'll figure it out as we go along.

I hope you are all having a great morning!

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    I've searched and can't find it now, but I saw something really neat on Facebook the other day but couldn't figure out how to save the photo so I could repost it here. So, a description will have to do. Someone posted a photo of two glass containers with labels that said "pounds to go" and "pounds lost" and they put beans in the first jar (the number of beans = to the number of pounds to lose) and transferred them one at a time to the second jar when each pound was lost. I thought that was a great way to visualize success. I'm going to do it. I have about 25 beans left to go! Or more, if I gained weight on this vacation.
  • memere101
    memere101 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Here are some pics of what you were talking about 5a7aexb269o6.jpg
    2598yaitk4in.jpg
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Yes! That is exactly what I was looking at, but I love the new clothing fund jar! Thanks!
  • JoanMichelleAmena
    JoanMichelleAmena Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This community has helped me so much this week! Reading your posts reminds me to eat healthy, drink lots of water, and try to move my body instead of sitting around on the computer! I wasn't going to weigh, but I got curious this morning. After the first seven days, I have lost 5.8 pounds! I know that's too much in a short time, and I will have to increase calories now to be healthy, but I am so glad to have made a dent in my goal!
    My daughter decided to take my DGD (D=Darling) to school with her today to see her teacher friends since she is wrapping up the school year. She'll probably call for me to go pick her up when DGD starts racing around the classroom and wetting her Dora panties, so I better get dressed and ready to go at a moments notice. Daughter and I will probably begin summer exercise excursions today! I'm leaving for the lake with no internet tonight. We weigh about the same and have been trying to lose weight, but need to stay focused and make it healthy living, not dieting. Thanks for helping, everyone!
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Tere: You'll have to visit Alberta, cowboy hats are very common here although they aren't usually red with sparkles. :laugh: I have black, white, various shades of brown and even a blue one. I usually only wear them in the summer. I have a couple of pair of cowboy boots too. I think red would look great with your hat.

Terri: I'm with you I hate diagnosis by exception!

Vicki: Glad that your plate is so much more comfortable.

TNToni: Good for you for getting your eating back on track. WTG!!

Pip: Every time I look at those monkey feet I get the heebie jeebies :smile: My guess is that your feet are the ones in the middle at the bottom of the pic. Am I right?

LisaH: Your stats are dropping that's success! Give up the fixation on the scale gal (says me while looking in a mirror) I've been stuck at 7 lbs for the last 6 weeks... figure that I'm learning how to maintain. :smile:

Mary: Awesome news about the parents!

JoanMichelle: My dad is very health conscious as well although he isn't the cook. I've started doing the cooking when I go home to visit (my way of managing my intake). Congrats on the 5.8 lbs.. don't forget that the first week you can lose quite a lot but it usually slows down a bit after that. I'll post the shepherd's pie recipe for you as soon as I can - hopefully later today.

Cynthia: Take care of that "flu" - hope you feel better soon

Peach: Have a good visit with your mom.

Sylvia: Get some sleep and I like the visualization of the glass jars too. Memere..thanks for posting the pics!

I have lots to do today, relatives coming to visit tomorrow and having quite a few extra for dinner. I'm still going to try to get in 90 minutes of Tai Chi this morning. Gotta leave in 1/2 hour

Thought for the day: "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Carey - Edmonton
  • naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

MaryDoing good while having fun. Nothing like it-enjoy.

LisaGlad the scale is not your only way of measuring your progress. That number is just 1 aspect. Congrats on the progress.

Rori Welcome back. You time in HI sounds delightful.

Barbie keep it up -you'll get there.

Maryhow nice to know your transition will have such a positive impact on someone's happiness.

Toni I never had a cat that played fetch, but they all like chase the fingers under the blanket. Glad about the possibility of a job w/the Y at church -sounds ideal.

Sylvia Welcome back. I understand about the legs. What a trip!

Got to get moving. I've got a discussion group w/colleagues an webinar on recovery from trauma and then an evening gathering of women colleagues. I guess today is dedicated to professional development. The challenge will be to eat health while on the road and dealing w/the free food at the meetings and coffee clutches following.

Naiomi2025 in 62F and sunny Massachusetts

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    morning peep heads-

tngram - it's a process to get yourself used to them, you just don't switch to these and run 5 miles, or even one, you'll kill yourself! i guess i don't need arch support. it's like running barefoot. w/tennis shoes you tend to rund flat footed, with these you tend to run on the ball of your foot so it builds up your calves more.

joanmichelle-
    i don't use a fitbit. i wear a heart rate monitor so i know exact calories that i burn. when i do a spin class, the bike has a little computer on it so i know how fast i am turning my pedals on an average for the time of the class, how much power i am giving it, the range of gears that i'm using and the miles i did. i don't eat the calories i burn. when i ride from work to home i have a bike app that tells me the average miles per hour that i biked and the distance. i abbreviate alot of my stats. those are the calories that i burned for each exercise or bike ride and total that i burned, not eaten.

ssc1958- lololol.. ain't no thang, you're not the only one. mine are the totally black ones, all covered up no skin showing.

decided to ride to work and take the train home today. I rode home for the last 3 days and that's a much steeper, harder ride home and I don't want to overwork my legs. so I rode to work today and will take the train and do the shorter ride., still 11 miles, but an easier 11.