I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    @sixxpoint, thanks for posting all of that information on hard boiling eggs. I had always done a cold water start and had difficulties with peeling.

Tried the hot water method today. No problems with peeling. Awesome.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Well, look at that. I'm from a land far, far away and we're on a long, holiday weekend too! Tomorrow's breakfast shall be a beautiful thing, lol.

And it was beautiful for me too: stole the butter in the egg tip from Ramsay - thank you, Sixxpoint! It did make a difference - had a single egg hard scramble (gently-browned bottom). A cup of Fiber One. A banana. Coffee with milk and my vitamins. Good macro-meeting, tasted nice, and under 350 calories! Will be drinking my first 2 cups of water soon, then will digest for about an hour and go for a nice long walk. I have to buy wine for our Memorial Day bbq tomorrow; I'll make an expedition out of the walk back and forth.

• annastasia_82
    annastasia_82 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I travel for work sometimes and am always looking for simple options that can be done with just a fridge and a microwave. I currently pick up hard boiled eggs and turkey sausage links for breakfast along with some fruit. However, lunch and dinner are where I struggle. I used to get items to make wraps, but I'd really like to cut out as many bread products as possible. Bags of salad work well also. Today I planned on picking up a rotisserie chicken and leaf spinach. Anyways, I need some ideas please.
  • PhysicsOnIce
    PhysicsOnIce Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Okay, here is a question. Do you measure the amount of rice or pasta per cooking or post cooking.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Everyone should be getting at least 8 cups of water everyday anyways.

LOL. No.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/8-glasses-of-water-a-day-an-urban-myth-1.1196386

Thanks for your contribution and your TV News article on the topic. Here is a empirical study on the matter:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20356431

Old recommendation of 1 gallon per day was overkill. Modern studies based on urine analysis and diet suggest the following is more than enough:

3000 ml for men... 12 cups
    2200 ml for women... 9 cups

At least 8 cups per day is especially important if you're taking diuretics, if your diet is high in sodium, if you use creatine, if you drink alcohol, or exercise/sweat a lot.

Good thread in general but a lot of what has been posted is half truth and conjecture.
    For example. The 3000 ml recommendation is total fluid intake NOT CUPS OF WATER. So, under the assumption that about half is going to be in food - drinking 12/9 cups would be overkill.

The soy/estrogen thing is also a vast over exaggeration from the research I've seen.

But a lot of good info.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Great thread, Sixxpoint. Thanks for the help. How about sending a pic of some of your favorite meals that you cook for yourself to give us ideas.

very nice thread.

thanks,
    pedi
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

LOL. No.

Thanks for your contribution and your TV News article on the topic. Here is a empirical study on the matter:

Old recommendation of 1 gallon per day was overkill. Modern studies based on urine analysis and diet suggest the following is more than enough:

At least 8 cups per day is especially important if you're taking diuretics, if your diet is high in sodium, if you use creatine, if you drink alcohol, or exercise/sweat a lot.

Good thread in general but a lot of what has been posted is half truth and conjecture.
    For example. The 3000 ml recommendation is total fluid intake NOT CUPS OF WATER. So, under the assumption that about half is going to be in food - drinking 12/9 cups would be overkill.

The soy/estrogen thing is also a vast over exaggeration from the research I've seen.

But a lot of good info.

Yes, obviously. This was covered and explained more in detail after the fact. You might have missed it. Nevertheless, it is really not rare for active individuals to consume 2-3 quarts of actual water per day. I do it regularly with extreme ease.

The soy thing was also elaborated on a bit more than you have led to believe it was in your reply. Thanks though.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I've got a question maybe you can help with. I've been making my own salad dressings with balsamic vinegar, plain rice vinegar, a little bit of mustard, and a dash of splenda. I'm trying to keep the dressings oil free and low calorie. The issue I am having is that the dressing is super watery and makes a splashy drippy mess when I eat it. Any ideas on how to thicken it up a bit?

Also, if you have any ideas for low calorie low fat dressing recipes I'd love to hear them. Thank you :) Awesome thread!
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    pedidiva wrote: »
    Great thread, Sixxpoint. Thanks for the help. How about sending a pic of some of your favorite meals that you cook for yourself to give us ideas.

I rarely take pictures of meals I cook for myself... Some are mixed in here along with a few dishes I made at the restaurant:

I posted on page 368.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823358/what-do-your-meals-look-like-show-me-pictures/
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've got a question maybe you can help with. I've been making my own salad dressings with balsamic vinegar, plain rice vinegar, a little bit of mustard, and a dash of splenda. I'm trying to keep the dressings oil free and low calorie. The issue I am having is that the dressing is super watery and makes a splashy drippy mess when I eat it. Any ideas on how to thicken it up a bit?

Also, if you have any ideas for low calorie low fat dressing recipes I'd love to hear them. Thank you :) Awesome thread!

Super watery sounds like you're using too much vinegar and not enough oil. The ratio is typically 3:1 (or close to it) oil to vinegar.

First time I've heard of adding splenda (or sugar) to a salad dressing... Focus on Extra Virgin Olive Oil or a quality Sesame Oil. You can even make your own Lemon Oil or an Herbed Garlic Oil. Champagne vinegar, Balsamic, Rice, Red or White Wine vinegar will work nicely. A lob of Dijon Mustard, Fresh Cracked Black Pepper, Kosher or Sea Salt, and a bunch of Fresh Herbs like Parsley, Basil, or Rosemary.

Whip everything together except the oil. Then add the oil, drop by drop, to emulsify. When the emulsification process is set, add the oil in a slow, thin steady stream while continuously whipping.

You really can't get too low cal aside from using "less" vinaigrette than you typically do.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a good cook, but my best dishes seem like hamburger helper after reading your posts :P. Awesome posts OP, should get a sticky. I'll be referring to this article later.

What's your favorite tool in the kitchen? I'm a big fan of my cast iron skillet.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    In my personal kitchen?...

A ridged, Grill Pan with a weighted press. Sometimes they call it a Panini Pan. I straddle two gas burners with it and cook 80% of my meat this way. It gets much hotter than any electric panini press or foreman grill.

Grill-Pan-All-Clad.png

WS11B0139.jpg

Also, my razor sharp Chef's Knife:

61LEx6tKIfL._SL1500_.jpg

Link to a good Knife site: http://korin.com/Knives/Nenox_3

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

LOL. No.

But a lot of good info.

Yes, obviously. This was covered and explained more in detail after the fact. You might have missed it. Nevertheless, it is really not rare for active individuals to consume 2-3 quarts of actual water per day. I do it regularly with extreme ease.

The soy thing was also elaborated on a bit more than you have led to believe it was in your reply. Thanks though.

I've read the thread. The conclusion of 8 cups remains ... random. Based on activity, etc, (and you noted you easily need to consume more sometimes) visual clarity + thirst is a better indicator (pale yellow coloring). Anyway, it's minor points, your thread is excellent. I'm not going to pollute it further with these discussion.

Back to cooking. Yesterday I had the pleasure of seeing turbot at our local monger - I don't have a turbotiere anymore - what would you recommend as a preparation method?
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The conclusion of 8 cups remains ... random. Based on activity, etc, (and you noted you easily need to consume more sometimes) visual clarity + thirst is a better indicator (pale yellow coloring).

Pale yellow coloring, visual signs of dehydration, etc... Unfortunately, by that point it is already too late... as I'm sure any Doctor would tell you that you have been doing more harm than good in terms of your health.

The fact is that 8 cups (or 2 quarts) of total water per day is a good guideline that will not harm a single adult person on this planet. This has been based on studies of average daily fluid intake, activity, urine production, and the overall health of adult people.
    Back to cooking. Yesterday I had the pleasure of seeing turbot at our local monger - I don't have a turbotiere anymore - what would you recommend as a preparation method?

Turbot is a very tender, delicate flatfish that is best when baked, poached, shallow-braised in a sauce, steamed or pan-fried. The topside portions are meatier than those on the bottom. I like to stuff/roll the thinner bottom fillets to prevent them from drying out.

Some recipes;

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/seared-turbot-recipe
    http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/turbot-with-artichokes-recipe
    http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/roast-turbot-recipe-fennel-croquettes
  • Scarlett_ptista
    Scarlett_ptista Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am curious, as a nutritionist, what your thoughts on people saying "a calorie is a calorie" etc are?

Personally, I feel like calories from a plate of scrambled eggs for breakfast is going to fill me up/keep me full/give me energy better than say, a donut (yes, the donut argument lol).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I am curious, as a nutritionist, what your thoughts on people saying "a calorie is a calorie" etc are?

Personally, I feel like calories from a plate of scrambled eggs for breakfast is going to fill me up/keep me full/give me energy better than say, a donut (yes, the donut argument lol).

Your point has nothing to do with the question you asked. A calorie is a unit of energy. Satiation is of no matter.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options

I am no nutritionist, just a fitness, nutrition, and food enthusiast and chef.

A calorie is a calorie in terms of weight gain/loss... In terms of nutrition and your overall health, a calorie is not a calorie.

Protein is the most satiating macronutrient. That is why a plate of eggs will make you feel more full when comparing it to a couple donuts. It might also be a psychological thing... You might feel the need to follow up a sugary snack food with a normal meal that is more nutrient dense.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Maybe, if you're local to NJ. I charge though :)

Im from Northern Jersey!!!!
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    jazzine1 wrote: »
    Maybe, if you're local to NJ. I charge though :)

Im from Northern Jersey!!!!

As am I :)
  • georginabain
    georginabain Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Would love some healthy lunch & snack ideas! No seafood suggestions as I am allergic ☺️

I have breakfast down & dinner I am getting better at but I am always stuck for lunch & snack ideas! thank you!