Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    @Italian_Buju I am glad you are still here. I was lurking for pages and pages wanting an update on your fur baby. It might be too much to ask of the universe at this time but I hope he gets better.
    After the loss of my dog, I learned that all you can do is just spend as much time as possible with them and let them know how much you love them while they are still around. Work may make it difficult but I know he is feeling your love everyday. :heart:

@Susieq_1994 You are not a coward. You are a strong capable woman of the new millennium and if baby steps are what it takes to get better, then baby steps are what it takes.
    I have battled with depression before(twice, once medicated and once not) and my sister has terrible anxiety(no medication). My sister will only speak to one therapist and she is kind enough to still see my sister even though she is technically retired.

:heart: Do whatever works best for you ladies and I will send as many positive vibes as I can your way! :heart:

Thanks <3

I feel like some days, I think he is looking good and I relax a bit, and then I realize he is not acting like himself or the next day he looks really skinny and weak....I do not want to get false hope though cuz I do not think he is getting better, I think it is just taking a long time for some reason (not that I am complaining).
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »
    my foot (if I managed to attach this pic)os6wvyyvx4y0.jpg

I hope it feels 100% soon!!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    salembambi wrote: »
    I just walked by the local high school on my lunch break. Confession: so glad I'm years beyond high school. Question: did high school aged girls always look like hookers? The amazingly short shorts with crop tops/sport bras! Holy *kitten*-child, Batman!

are you serious ? calling young girls *kitten* and hookers?sexualizing them ...how nice

they can wear whatever they want just like any other girl or women

geezus

Was it the "absolutely" the "no" or the "judgment" that tripped you up?

Amen. And I agree about clothes, heck some things that 10yo girls wear make me shake my head sometimes.

Me too. And I seriously question their parents judgement.

Sometimes I wonder if their parents know how they're dressing. I've heard of kids wearing one outfit leaving home and changing at school.

I would do that in high school. Change in the back of the bus. But I don't remember it being that extreme. I had a catsuit that I would wear under ripped jeans (oh, the 90's!). My mom hated that catsuit. LOL

As well she should have. Really, a catsuit?! I think we all need to see pictures.

I don't think I have any. It was long-sleeved and flowered and zipped up the back. The cloth would show through the rips in the jeans. I thought I was pretty awesome in that. Wish I had the body I had then.

ETA: I feel like I should add this from Wikipedia: A catsuit is a close-fitting one-piece garment that covers the torso and the legs, and frequently the arms.[1] They are usually made from stretchable material, such as lycra, chiffon, spandex.

How did you use the restroom while wearing this thing?! This is why women go to restroom in pairs. :smiley:

Well, you didn't wait until the last minute, that's for sure!

I'm all about the jumpsuits right now and to pee, you have to undress to the waist and kind of sling it over one arm...let's just say I won't be wearing them to any festivals this year with any kind of port-o-potties because they are exceedingly difficult to keep off the floor.

Also, on the clothing note, I grew up in that part of the 90s where crop tops AND low-rise jeans were in style at the same time, so I'm just relieved that at least the trend now seems to be high-rise bottoms with the crop tops so you only see the upper half of the stomach. Way cuter.

I remember how bad I wanted a pair of low rise Levi's when their "belly button" commercials came out. Remember those?

Definitely! I also had a pair of super-low-rise jeans that had a LACE UP fly instead of a zipper or buttons...klassy klassy klassy. Looking back I cannot believe my mother let me out of the house in them as I think you could see my hipbones above the waistband. I definitely wore those to school though...

I had a pair of pants like that too. LOVED them. Christina Aguilera wore pants in a couple videos that laced up on the hips, and I wanted a pair so bad!

ETA: Although the fashion may be different, I suppose teenage girls are the same lol.

Right? I see them around and I'm mostly just relieved that there aren't visible g-strings like when I was their age. The leggings and crop tops are not nearly as offensive or revealing, thankfully. And I love that lots of very loose, flowy tops and dresses are trendy now. Way better than those painted-on ultra low-rise jeans and tube tops I loved...not to mention the platforms and huge wedge heels. I had a pair of six-inch wedge sandals that laced up my calves too about fifteen years ago...eesh. Ooh, and the huge chunky highlights on the flatironed hair.

I'm not even 30 yet so it's a little early for pearl-clutching but I seriously think teenagers today don't look nearly as, uh, trashy as my high school classmates did.

Oh ya, I forgot about that... I wasn't one to have my underwear hanging out, but there were lots of girls out like that. I guess I can no longer talk about "kids these days" when it comes to fashion choices :blush:

Oh ya, I forgot about that... I wasn't one to have my underwear hanging out, but there were lots of girls out like that. I guess I can no longer talk about "kids these days" when it comes to fashion choices :blush:

I remember girls used to pull their thong up on purpose so it was showing and the Head Teacher called a girls assembly in school to stop it from happening.

Ps. When I'm on this board I find myself constantly questioning if I should Americanize words cos a lot of you are from there. I've thought this about Mum/Mom, sunbeds/tanning beds, Head teacher/Principal, bum/butt, *kitten*/*kitten* and I'm sure there's more... B)

Jumper always got me. How does that equal sweater? LOL

I have a friend who got very irritated when I told him that every time he mentioned his "jumper," I was picturing him wearing one of these:
    funtasia-girls-reversible-red-christmas-plaid-jumper-dress-27.jpg

Nice.

I have to admit I had some of those jeans with the fold down button fly. I believe they were even acid wash with ankle zippers. I also, I'm sad to admit, had a pair of low rise skintight jeans that had no pockets but did have a huge attached faux belt. I wore these AFTER I had my daughter and I thought I looked hot. I looked ridiculous.

I'm glad I dress more classic and age appropriate now.

I'm 44 and my daughter is 16. We are just about exactly the same size (she's a bit more slender and a bit taller but same clothing and shoe size. We have different coloring and face shapes but people instantly know she's my daughter.) We very often look at each other in the morning and realize that we're matchy matchy. For example a blue knit v neck top, jeans, boots and hair in a ponytail. It makes me laugh and makes her stomp off to change. She's fairly conservative and classic in her dress and dresses up often. My work is often in a lab so jeans are often fine. I tell her that either I have good taste or she has horrible taste in clothes. She wears a summer dress that I bought 22 years ago and looks lovely in it. She took and kept some jeans, riding boots, pumps, and a few dresses. So my question: What is age appropriate and what is ageless?

I am a smaller size right now than I have been since before I had children (they are now 31.29 and 27 years old) I am discovering all kinds of new options in clothing and wonder at times if what I am putting on is age appropriate. Just today I was showing my daughter - the 27 year old some things I bought to wear on vacation next week and she said "Oh wow mom, we can share clothes now - well - after I have this baby anyway" and we both cracked up.

I think age appropriate is a term that can be over limiting. Certainly if your daughter is approving then it is fine. I think all ages can look good in similar clothes. I think all ages can look good in short or long hair. Perhaps quality and fit and cut are more important than an exact style.

Congrats on your good work. I'm sure you are looking great!

I struggle with the "age appropriate" thing all the time, especially as I am now over 50. And, unfortunately, the mainstream styles marketed toward my age group aren't "my" personal style, nor do they fit/suit my body type since I am tall and small-busted... junior clothes seem to be tailored for longer/leaner bodies these days.

There was a thread here a while back about whether or not middle-aged women could wear shorter-length skirts, and the responses were overwhelmingly positive. It kinda changed my mindset about being "appropriate". Not that I wear skirts or dresses a whole lot, since they don't work too well with knee-high compression stockings :( nor would I ever wear something shorter for work, but I'm now more willing to indulge the SO's fashion requests occasionally, lol.

May I ask why you wear these and if it helps? Also, are they comfortable? I got a pair over a year ago, I have never worn them, even after going through the trouble of getting fitted etc......
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I wonder how @Qn4bx9pzg8aifd is doing. She hasnt posted here in a long time
  • margfish
    margfish Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I confess that I have a thigh gap and treasure it. Whenever I've had a bad eating day or series of days, I check the gap to make sure it's there. And then I think, well, I can't be that fat. I still have the gap. I'm terrified I'll lose it one day, and then what will I tell myself?

:/ Healthy, I know.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    I just walked by the local high school on my lunch break. Confession: so glad I'm years beyond high school. Question: did high school aged girls always look like hookers? The amazingly short shorts with crop tops/sport bras! Holy *kitten*-child, Batman!

are you serious ? calling young girls *kitten* and hookers?sexualizing them ...how nice

geezus g

She did not call them hookers, she said they dressed like hookers dress.....
    *kitten*-child, I think that sums it up well if that is what they are wearing to school.

She did not sexualize them, I believe they are doing that themselves!

Thinking about this last night, it occurred to me that I have NO idea how hookers dress these days as I haven't laid eyes on a real life one in years. And this is probably a good thing, lol.

The last one I saw was wearing a rather cute little short floral dress with a flippy skirt. It looked rather demure until a breeze blew and it quickly became evident that she was wearing no underwear.

Glad to hear your little guy (does he have a name?) is still hanging on, but sad that he won't eat and you have to worry about him all day.

His name is Fozzy, but I have just always called him little rodent boy, lol. Speaking of pet names, my cats name is Kyrie, my son named her after an NBA player, and I call her that sometimes, but I mostly call her little girl, and sometimes I call her Kitten Bum lol.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    I'm more than likely going to binge on movie theater popcorn tonight D:

YUM! My favorite....I have been known to go to the theater on the odd occasion, to buy a bag of overpriced popcorn to bring home and eat while watching TV......

I want to do this so bad!

It is SO worth it!!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    Once every week or two I buy a dozen chocolate donuts, get to the office early & leave them in the break room anonymously, and get grim satisfaction out of watching the same people who say to me "I need to eat like you" chow down.

I'm laughing so hard at this while I'm thinking that I shouldn't be.....but I can't help it! Evil genius!!

@xMrBunglex I remember this confession. I remember that I REALLY wanted donuts after reading it too.

Still, even after 700+ pages, my favorite confession was one that a lady was worried that it wouldn't be too long before her husband used her excess tummy flab for a blanket. I still laugh every time I think about that.

How did I miss that? I don't remember that post.

I don't either....maybe it was all in the head of @MoHousdon

Are you saying I'm crazy?! If I have to go back and quote it, I will!

I said no such thing :*
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    OMG I cannot believe I am caught up.....well folks, I learned my lesson from not logging in to read here every day!

I had such a long week, busy with work, and the rodent, and PT, plus I had two long meetings (that were stressful). Yesterday I woke up to go to work to find out that my best friend's (that passed away two years ago) niece lost her eight month old baby (he suffocated on a blanket in his sleep). I am not close to her, but I felt so terrible that happened. No mother should bury their baby. Then this morning I get a message that her SIL (my friends, not the niece) is going in for emergency surgery to fix a hole in her colon that was causing her to be sick with toxins for some time. Last update I got she had been in the OR for almost 8 hours and they were calling in another surgeon. I have been friends with her for a long time, and have been worried all day. Again, I feel terrible for the family, two things in a row like that.....

I am heading to bed now, I literally spent the whole weekend off and on when I had time catching up on this thread! This week should be a little more normal. I must go spend some time having rodent snuggles before I go to sleep.

It rained here all day today, and tomorrow looks like it too, I hope Tuesday is sunny so I have some time to sit outside and soak up some rays. I do not use sunscreen if I am only out for an hour or less, I need to tan as it is good for my psoriasis, but I do not get insane about it, and do wear it if I am out all day or swimming (which I do a lot in good weather).

June 1st is here, which means I can start the countdown to the new season of Orange Is The New Black. :)

Night folks......I will just say, I love this thread, and missed it greatly this week.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    So I thought maybe we could all use this to get something off of our chests. Confess to anything pertaining to your weight loss journey, it may even be a helpful tip for others! :)'

Please please PLEASEEEE refrain from being mean. :)

Here goes it!

I wear a trash bag under my clothing when I exercise and also for about half of my day.
    Yeah it's not as sophisticated as a Wrap or Those belly wrap things but honestly I like it better. It covers my whole upper body besides my neck, head, and arms. Maybe one of you do the same thing :P

I have not done this, but I knew a guy in high school that lost over 100 lbs by doing this, just the way you are.
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have been desperate to find a type of exercise that isn't mind-numbing. I wanted to take ballet lessons but I couldn't find a place that was willing to teach beginner adults.

So.... tomorrow I start pole dancing lessons. (They call it "pole fitness". Yea, right.)
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

Confession: I have FINALLY started exercising regularly again but only because I have someone who is seeing me naked on a regular basis now.

I feel like it is shallow and stupid but I want to be desirable to him.

ohgeeque wrote: »
    I have been desperate to find a type of exercise that isn't mind-numbing. I wanted to take ballet lessons but I couldn't find a place that was willing to teach beginner adults.

So.... tomorrow I start pole dancing lessons. (They call it "pole fitness". Yea, right.)

Pole fitness IS fitness. You will get a work out and you will be sore. Those men and women on poles are ATHLETES! They have competitions and everything. It's not easy. We have a pole dancing studio in Austin called Brass Ovaries headed up by U.S. Army veteran Natasha. I want to take classes there but I work nights and nothing really works with my schedule where I would be able to get adequate sleep.

Go forth, and become unbound by gravity's limitations!
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I've been extremely, extremely depressed today. I've only gotten out of bed to pray my five daily prayers and then got right back into it to cry and sleep and cry and sleep some more. I figured that if I slept long enough, I might not wake up again. Didn't quite work, as you can see. *sigh*

On a related confession, I feel so guilty that I can suffer from severe depression when I have such a wonderful life. A wonderful husband, a beautiful apartment, everything I need or want at my fingertips. So many people have nothing and so many people want to live, so what right do I have to want to die? Also, what in the world is so wrong with me that I would feel this way when my life is almost perfect, especially when compared to my childhood? One of the supreme mysteries of the universe. :-/

I'm sorry.... I want to hug you right now. I'm glad you woke up. :)

And it's no mystery, it's faulty chemistry. I'm amazed at how much power and control our bodily chemistry (hormones or whatever) has over our emotions, and I've only had minimal experience myself via PMS and menopause.

My best friend suffers from chronic, medication-resistant depression and she has a wonderful life too. It's got nothing to do with environment, situation or events... just brain chemistry.

Not for long, I'm totally going back to bed. But I figured I'd check in here first. :)

Rationally, I understand that it isn't really my fault that I feel this way. But in my heart of hearts I can't help but hate myself and feel like I'm ungrateful to my husband and to God for feeling depressed so often. I try so hard to keep my spirits up, but sometimes I just... Can't. Today is one of those days.

I understand. My friend feels the same way, that her depression is a personal failing or weakness (even though she knows differently) and she "should" be able to pull out of it herself. She feels doubly bad about it now that it looks like her daughter has inherited the condition, just as my friend did from her mum.

She did have good results from CBT a few years ago and was able to manage her condition with only one medication.

I hope tomorrow is a much better day for you!

I just came in from washing my SO's truck -- he's at work now. @MoHousdon 's recent posts reminded me (not that I forget!) that I have a totally awesome fella who does nice things for me all the time, so I should be doing more nice things for him.

If I was upset that something I wanted was out of stock, he'd hunt it down online too. And he's willing to indulge all my silly American "junk food" urges, even if it means driving from store to store in search of something elusive.

His iPad is logged in to my Amazon account because he was wishlisting parts for me to order for one of my vehicles. He also puts things on there that he needs that I can tack onto an order if I need to beef up the amount to qualify for free shipping. About a month ago, while he was at work, he asked me to get a few of the things on on the wish list so I logged on to place the order... and he'd stacked the top of the list with all kind of silly merchandise featuring the phrase "I love you more". Awwww. <3

I am catching up from Friday.

My hubby does that too. There was/is a dinner theater show I have been wanting to see. It started in April and runs to June 17. My hubby procrastinated in getting tickets and now its sold out for the remaining production. He agreed to take me to a different city just to see it
    Mom is visiting for a week, and as usual woke me up at 6am by 'going gently down the stairs'. Sigh. I have a massive headache too.

She also brought back cookies and chocolates even though I specifically told her to. I still have a ton of chocolates and finished those cookies from 4 months ago last week (I used to eat the whole thing in 2 days). But she just wants to sabotage me and told me yesterday that she hopes I'm not losing more weight. I wish I could lose more just to spite her but I've been trying for a year and failed... Oh and she brought back 5 brioches that need to be eaten within 10 days too...

Confession, I feel bad for feeling that way and hating when she visits but I can't help it. It stresses me out and we always end up fighting over something. The good thing is that I'm probably going to spend more time at the gym this week just to get out of here.

Moms can be sooo maddening! Hang in there!!!

Today my mom and I went to a ceramic studio. She picked me up at 11:30 and at 10:50 I asked her if she had eaten or if she wanted to grab something. She opted to grab something and then on the way said she wasn't hungry and that she thought I had meant to be something "later". I was so mad since 1) I hadn't had breakfast, 2) I could have eaten something at home rather than takeout (got Subway so it wasn't too bad), 3) I could have saved some $$$.

I go back to work tomorrow after having 2 weeks off. I will miss being able to participate in the conversation during the day as I will have to wait until I get home.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    @AlciaMode and @AngryViking1970 you are right!! I'm just being stupid- I am 29 but don't feel it whatsoever and I'm really looking forward to my 30's I've heard from lots those are some of the best years! Thank you ladies! <3

I looked forward to turning 30, and life has been awesome since I did. Far more self confidence and life fell into place with love, and work/life balance

totally agree. My thirties were my best years by far.

geezus

Amen. And I agree about clothes, heck some things that 10yo girls wear make me shake my head sometimes.

Sometimes I wonder if their parents know how they're dressing. I've heard of kids wearing one outfit leaving home and changing at school.

I would do that in high school. Change in the back of the bus. But I don't remember it being that extreme. I had a catsuit that I would wear under ripped jeans (oh, the 90's!). My mom hated that catsuit. LOL

As well she should have. Really, a catsuit?! I think we all need to see pictures.

I don't think I have any. It was long-sleeved and flowered and zipped up the back. The cloth would show through the rips in the jeans. I thought I was pretty awesome in that. Wish I had the body I had then.

ETA: I feel like I should add this from Wikipedia: A catsuit is a close-fitting one-piece garment that covers the torso and the legs, and frequently the arms.[1] They are usually made from stretchable material, such as lycra, chiffon, spandex.

How did you use the restroom while wearing this thing?! This is why women go to restroom in pairs. :smiley:

I'm all about the jumpsuits right now and to pee, you have to undress to the waist and kind of sling it over one arm...let's just say I won't be wearing them to any festivals this year with any kind of port-o-potties because they are exceedingly difficult to keep off the floor.

Also, on the clothing note, I grew up in that part of the 90s where crop tops AND low-rise jeans were in style at the same time, so I'm just relieved that at least the trend now seems to be high-rise bottoms with the crop tops so you only see the upper half of the stomach. Way cuter.

I remember how bad I wanted a pair of low rise Levi's when their "belly button" commercials came out. Remember those?

Definitely! I also had a pair of super-low-rise jeans that had a LACE UP fly instead of a zipper or buttons...klassy klassy klassy. Looking back I cannot believe my mother let me out of the house in them as I think you could see my hipbones above the waistband. I definitely wore those to school though...

I had a pair of pants like that too. LOVED them. Christina Aguilera wore pants in a couple videos that laced up on the hips, and I wanted a pair so bad!

ETA: Although the fashion may be different, I suppose teenage girls are the same lol.

Right? I see them around and I'm mostly just relieved that there aren't visible g-strings like when I was their age. The leggings and crop tops are not nearly as offensive or revealing, thankfully. And I love that lots of very loose, flowy tops and dresses are trendy now. Way better than those painted-on ultra low-rise jeans and tube tops I loved...not to mention the platforms and huge wedge heels. I had a pair of six-inch wedge sandals that laced up my calves too about fifteen years ago...eesh. Ooh, and the huge chunky highlights on the flatironed hair.

I'm not even 30 yet so it's a little early for pearl-clutching but I seriously think teenagers today don't look nearly as, uh, trashy as my high school classmates did.

I remember girls used to pull their thong up on purpose so it was showing and the Head Teacher called a girls assembly in school to stop it from happening.

Ps. When I'm on this board I find myself constantly questioning if I should Americanize words cos a lot of you are from there. I've thought this about Mum/Mom, sunbeds/tanning beds, Head teacher/Principal, bum/butt, *kitten*/*kitten* and I'm sure there's more... B)

I have a friend who got very irritated when I told him that every time he mentioned his "jumper," I was picturing him wearing one of these:

Nice.

I have to admit I had some of those jeans with the fold down button fly. I believe they were even acid wash with ankle zippers. I also, I'm sad to admit, had a pair of low rise skintight jeans that had no pockets but did have a huge attached faux belt. I wore these AFTER I had my daughter and I thought I looked hot. I looked ridiculous.

I'm 44 and my daughter is 16. We are just about exactly the same size (she's a bit more slender and a bit taller but same clothing and shoe size. We have different coloring and face shapes but people instantly know she's my daughter.) We very often look at each other in the morning and realize that we're matchy matchy. For example a blue knit v neck top, jeans, boots and hair in a ponytail. It makes me laugh and makes her stomp off to change. She's fairly conservative and classic in her dress and dresses up often. My work is often in a lab so jeans are often fine. I tell her that either I have good taste or she has horrible taste in clothes. She wears a summer dress that I bought 22 years ago and looks lovely in it. She took and kept some jeans, riding boots, pumps, and a few dresses. So my question: What is age appropriate and what is ageless?

I am a smaller size right now than I have been since before I had children (they are now 31.29 and 27 years old) I am discovering all kinds of new options in clothing and wonder at times if what I am putting on is age appropriate. Just today I was showing my daughter - the 27 year old some things I bought to wear on vacation next week and she said "Oh wow mom, we can share clothes now - well - after I have this baby anyway" and we both cracked up.

I would say that is an NSV. :)
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Susie: take comfort in the fact you get up to pray, count it as a success and evidence of the larger plan for you.

Italian: glad your little guy is hanging on

Pofoster: congrats :)

Confessions:
    1) yesterday morning I decided to go the gym while everyone was still sleeping. I found all my gym sets in the wash. So I rummaged dirty clothes out the wash basket and wore those rather than not go to the gym

2) we might have been a bit over enthusiastic in the mattress gymnastics and I've got an 'internal' injury that puts me out of commission for a few days. A good time was had by all.

3) today, instead of a proper meal, we went to the ice cream parlour and had sundaes for dinner. After I spent all morning cooking and prepping healthy meals and lunches for next week

4) my boss is in her 50s, very slim, with long legs, and wears very short skirts in the office. I do judge her for their length, but agree pencil skirts are classic, timeless and ageless

As for #3 if it fit within your calories all good! If not you have a week of healthy food to make it up. ;)
  • Oberon21
    Options

geezus

Nice.

I think age appropriate is a term that can be over limiting. Certainly if your daughter is approving then it is fine. I think all ages can look good in similar clothes. I think all ages can look good in short or long hair. Perhaps quality and fit and cut are more important than an exact style.

Congrats on your good work. I'm sure you are looking great!

Thank you, I am feeling pretty proud of my accomplishment of going from a size 22 to a size 12 in less than a year.
    So you should be!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Edit: This is to Susie:
    Oh, I'm so sorry you're feeling bad. There's no rhyme or reason to depression, so try not feel like you're wrong to feel the way you do. I think guilt is a very common issue.

I'm very worried about your talk of dying though. Do you have a doctor who's helping you? Is your husband around?

Not to worry, I've never been suicidal. :) I just want to... Stop existing, if that makes sense. It's almost midnight here and my husband is asleep, but he's around to wake up if I need him. :)

Nope, I don't have a doctor. I mentioned it like five million posts back, but I'm terrified of doctors. I tried to get help once and I just couldn't make it through the sessions. I broke down after my second one and never went back. I also never spoke to the doctor directly (my husband had to speak for me), because I have selective mutism and couldn't speak. It was a pretty useless attempt, to be honest. :-/

Have you tried videoconferencing with any doctors? There is a woman at the barn that is a psychiatrist. She has some patients she video conferences with. Perhaps that would work for you? By not being in person maybe that would help with the fear of speaking? And allow you to be more open?
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Early in the thread, some of you 'confessed' that you use Leslie Sansone 'Walk at Home' videos, but with the sound off because her positive, chirpy attitude is so grating.

Well...I confess that I use her videos too. Love 'em. And I keep the sound on because even though it's over-the-top, her attitude helps me =P.

That is awesome though! You've found something that works for you. :)
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Early in the thread, some of you 'confessed' that you use Leslie Sansone 'Walk at Home' videos, but with the sound off because her positive, chirpy attitude is so grating.

Well...I confess that I use her videos too. Love 'em. And I keep the sound on because even though it's over-the-top, her attitude helps me =P.

I've actually started using the "sound off" tip for a lot of things now, not just her. My yoga routine is really good, but the host goes on and on about how the yoga is getting the "toxins" out of my body. I'm much less stabby when I don't listen to her.

I have to confess that I got completely turned off New Rules of Lifting for Women when I got to the part that says YOU MUST EAT BREAKFAST. At that point the book lost all credibility for me.

I read and use some of that book, but I never eat breakfast. If I eat before I do cardio or early in the morning I literally vomit. So I blow a big raspberry at that bit, stick my fingers in my ears and sing lalala I can't hear you.

• Oberon21
    Options
    Edit: This is to Susie:
    Oh, I'm so sorry you're feeling bad. There's no rhyme or reason to depression, so try not feel like you're wrong to feel the way you do. I think guilt is a very common issue.

I'm very worried about your talk of dying though. Do you have a doctor who's helping you? Is your husband around?

Not to worry, I've never been suicidal. :) I just want to... Stop existing, if that makes sense. It's almost midnight here and my husband is asleep, but he's around to wake up if I need him. :)

Nope, I don't have a doctor. I mentioned it like five million posts back, but I'm terrified of doctors. I tried to get help once and I just couldn't make it through the sessions. I broke down after my second one and never went back. I also never spoke to the doctor directly (my husband had to speak for me), because I have selective mutism and couldn't speak. It was a pretty useless attempt, to be honest. :-/
    Ok, glad to hear things aren't critical.

Can you research a doctor who might be more approachable? There are so many medications and therapies available that might be able to make life a lot more bearable for you. Is your husband sympathetic? Maybe he could make an initial appointment to discuss your issues with the doctor first, so s/he would have a basic understanding before you went along. Is a female doctor an option? I recall that you suffer from agoraphobia - are home visits possible there?

Unfortunately, therapy options in Saudi Arabia are extremely limited, and the hospital my husband's insurance covers has very limited amounts of doctors. Only one psychiatrist was experienced with my particular condition (Functional Neurological Disorder accompanied by anxiety disorder, clinical depression, and selective mutism), and none of the available therapists seemed to have experience in CBT. I made an appointment with one female therapist, but chickened out and canceled at the last minute, though, so I can't say for sure.

My husband is very sympathetic and knows exactly what I'm going through because he has some similar issues. He's medicated though, and I'm not. He's my best (and only) cheerleader, actually. :) And on a bright note, he told me a couple of days ago that my anxiety has improved in leaps and bounds over the past month or so, and I attributed a lot my success to the support in this thread. :)

Home visits don't really exist here, and I'm not sure that they'd be easier or more comfortable for me. :( And the psychiatrist that I did manage to see kind of gave up on letting me talk and wouldn't even wait for me to try to speak after the first session--He just tried throwing medication at me without even letting me speak. I was very disheartened after that. :(

Reading backwards so repeating but a videoconference might be the way to go. I can put you in touch with the woman if you are interested? She is a psychiatrist. If you aren't interested in her there may be others she can refer you to?