Thigh gap?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I love these threads. Body shaming left and right.

Op asks a short question.
    The world lights up on fire.

We have women asking men if this is a good goal. Wut? Are your esthetic goals predicated on what random men think?
    No one seems to bat an eye.
    And then a guy gives his own opinion and "oh,my good, body shaming, wah, wail, renting of clothes. Burn him."
    The comparison picture on what is sexy and what isn't.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable "bones to dogs" and "real girls have curves" bingo spot.

Your body, your goals.
    I asked my son yup because I already have my own thoughts...curious what young men thought of it....reasonable thing to do....

esp since most things young women do are to impress men...that is the reality of it...

You asked your son if your thigh gap was sexy?

*shudder*

that's gross...I don't have thigh gap actually...I asked my son if he thought it in general was considered "sexy" by men his age...jeez man get your head otta the slimy place it just went....*smh*

We have women asking men if this is a good goal. Wut? Are your esthetic goals predicated on what random men think?
    And then a guy gives his own opinion and "oh,my good, body shaming, wah, wail, renting of clothes. Burn him."

I'm just waiting for the inevitable "bones to dogs" and "real girls have curves" bingo spot.

Your body, your goals.
    I asked my son yup because I already have my own thoughts...curious what young men thought of it....reasonable thing to do....

esp since most things young women do are to impress men...that is the reality of it...

#youwenthere
    #lol

554664fadb753b82389cccbe_mad-max-girls.gif

Yup...as a 40 something yo woman who was once 20 something I know that as young woman a lot do things to make themselves more appealing to men...I couldn't be bothered at my age...but in my early 20's yah I admit I did care.

and here is a thread to prove that point...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176387/men-what-should-a-woman-eat-or-not-on-the-first-date/p1

Given that guys don't care about thigh gaps, your argument is that young women do this because guys care about it. ok.
    And proof is a young woman asking about dating advice. ok.
    Wut?

I'm sure people DO do *some* things for attraction. Men and women, old and young. It's probably ok, I don't know? Looking sexy and all that?

But *most* things?
    Not buying it.

Damn - my 20 year olds daughters must be doing it wrong with their careers, sports, studies and travel. Brb, gotta tell them to get with the "attraction" program.

apparently nothing I say is correct in your eyes...oh well I am in my 40's so I don't give a flying fart.

Based on my knowledge of young women (since I was one once) a lot do care about how to attract young men and thigh gap is one of those things that young women think makes them appealing, skinny/slim...did I say it was set in a foundation of truth...not for my son...but some young men do find it appealing...because of the body type.

Proof is that a young woman asked what she should order on a first date to impress a guy...did you read that thread?

Yes people do things to attract the opposite sex...that is normal...as some point in our life we have all done it...for most mature people it stops tho.

And where did I say "ALL" young women worry about "attracting" a guy...and doing things to attract a guy....no where so get you undies unbunched would yah.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    u0z18ou3qk25.jpg

Honestly, I Googled thigh gap and the results were... Alarming. There aren't a lot of people who have a thigh gap at a healthy weight.

There are plenty of healthy weight women with thigh gaps and Why do you feel the need to shame women who do have a thigh gap? I have one and always had one at a variety of weights. My boyfriend shockingly is attracted to me and finds it attractive. I have an awesome butt and toned body and am at a healthy weight.

And shocker, but my whole goal in life isn't about who all I can be sexy for-My health and body type aren't for the enjoyment of others. I find it offensive you're literally reducing women to sex objects based off physical characteristics. Women are more than that!

lord- she wasn't body shaming- but it's a reality that people who don't genetically have wider set hip sockets- who wind up WITH a thigh gap have an unhealthy weight.

it's not body shaming.

Geebus.

Also- I thought we were over the thigh gap? can we be over this yet. Seriously.
  • AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    OP - I have a thigh gap but I did ballet for 22years and all that turn out made it happen totally unintentionally, also add to the fact that I probably just would have it anway cos that's the way I'm made. I'm not particularly bothered by it, and I'm most certainly not looking forward to the arthritic hips from all that hyper flexibility when I'm older!

Unfortunately the thigh gap has really become associated with pro-ana thinspo. Sucky for those of us who have it naturally as the image someone above posted shows - 22years of ballet and my thighs are all muscle, but there's still a gap because that's just the way I am. It all depends on the way you are too, if you have narrow hips/haven't made them stupid flexible then I would say have a little think about what goals you think work for you rather than the ones that aren't necessarily going to be healthy. Everyone is different and that's cool, so just find the right goals that are achievable for you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Genetics.

Yep
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    but some young men do find it appealing...because of the body type.

Surely there are (young or old) men who prefer skinny girls in general, but I would be surprised if they even notice it...
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Surely there are (young or old) men who prefer skinny girls in general, but I would be surprised if they even notice it...

As mentioned before, there are forums and sites online dedicated to the thigh gap, for sharing images of hot girls with thigh gaps. Pretty sure the guys that go on those sites would notice!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I agree...but some do...I have heard some of my son's friends mention it however I wonder if they notice because a female mentioned it....I mean we are talking about kids between 16-22 right...
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

I agree...but some do...I have heard some of my son's friends mention it however I wonder if they notice because a female mentioned it....I mean we are talking about kids between 16-22 right...

Every cover of Cosmopolitan magazine ever should just say "Don't be fat and be nice." That's really all there is to it. The rest of this noise is self flagellation.
  • Mutant_Toad
    Mutant_Toad Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mermaid.jpg
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

I dunno. My late-40s SO loves the thigh gap, although he had never heard that term, they're just "a feature of women's bodies that I think is really sexy" (his words). Came up with that notion all on his own.

Lifting has done nothing to alter mine, it's created by the set/width of my hips and I'd have to build monstrous quads (not happening at this age!) to fill it in.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

not sure why you are asking...I just asked my son, who is your age, if men his age liked it....

His response..."eh, never thought about it...but who cares if a woman has it or not..."

Me too. What is the craze for one? I don't care about that.

• julesmm44
    julesmm44 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    wgqdd687gyap.jpg
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    It's a fixation on a certain feature that matters little...but it is a concern when someone comes on and asks "how do I get one" because it's one of those holy grails of the pro-ana community. When a young woman who does not naturally have a gap between her upper legs (through hip placement or genetic weight distribution) aspires to have one, it's a warning sign.

But, women who do naturally have wide set hips and thinner legs? They can and should rock on with their own bad selves. (And, also, have some empathy, because if your legs are naturally thin, that just means that if you put on weight, you'll carry it elsewhere, usually the abdomen. That's no fun, either.)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Well there are people out there getting getting doctors to install pins and stretching devices installed into their thigh bones to increase their height.
    So, find a doctor with poor ethics to chisel open your hip bones and install a stretching device. Given the bio-mechanics, it might leave you unable to walk, but hey, thigh gap, right?
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in where this one started? Was it in a women's magazine or something. Or did the Internets come up with it?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Your body, your goals.

You asked your son if your thigh gap was sexy?

*shudder*

That's no what Stephanie said.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    There's only one time my thighs gap, ifyouknowwhatImean...

LOL!
  • Gamer_2k4
    Gamer_2k4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone saying "it doesn't matter," "no one notices," and all that? To me, this question is no different than someone asking how to get a six-pack. You get it by having the right body structure and low enough body fat. If you don't have one, it doesn't mean you're unhealthy, and if you do have one, it doesn't mean you're healthy; it's just a physical feature. If that's OP's goal (or even if it's not), who cares? Just tell her the answer to her question.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

As mentioned before, there are forums and sites online dedicated to the thigh gap, for sharing images of hot girls with thigh gaps. Pretty sure the guys that go on those sites would notice!

Would they?
    Or would they notice sexually provocative photos of women in very little clothing from behind.
    I suspect a good number wouldn't really notice whether the woman had a "real" thigh gap or not.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't have a thigh gap. None of the women in my immediate family do either because we don't have the wide hips. All guys I have dated have never mentioned "thigh gaps" to me. They said they liked my legs so I like that compliment better. ;)