Thigh gap?

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Gamer_2k4 wrote: »
    Why is everyone saying "it doesn't matter," "no one notices," and all that? To me, this question is no different than someone asking how to get a six-pack. You get it by having the right body structure and low enough body fat. If you don't have one, it doesn't mean you're unhealthy, and if you do have one, it doesn't mean you're healthy; it's just a physical feature. If that's OP's goal (or even if it's not), who cares? Just tell her the answer to her question.

Well here is the thing. What if OP only way of getting the thigh gap is to obtain an unhealthy low body fat. You still endorse to give OP the answer?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Why is everyone saying "it doesn't matter," "no one notices," and all that? To me, this question is no different than someone asking how to get a six-pack. You get it by having the right body structure and low enough body fat. If you don't have one, it doesn't mean you're unhealthy, and if you do have one, it doesn't mean you're healthy; it's just a physical feature. If that's OP's goal (or even if it's not), who cares? Just tell her the answer to her question.

Well hear is the thing. What if OP only way of getting the thigh gap is to obtain and unhealthy low body fat. You still endorse to give OP the answer?

This. As has been stated multiple times in this thread, it has a lot to do with how wide your hips are. If the OP has narrow hips, would you advise her to starve herself thin enough to get a thigh gap? Because that's the only way it's possible for some women.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    but some young men do find it appealing...because of the body type.

Surely there are (young or old) men who prefer skinny girls in general, but I would be surprised if they even notice it...

As mentioned before, there are forums and sites online dedicated to the thigh gap, for sharing images of hot girls with thigh gaps. Pretty sure the guys that go on those sites would notice!

Would they?
    Or would they notice sexually provocative photos of women in very little clothing from behind.
    I suspect a good number wouldn't really notice whether the woman had a "real" thigh gap or not.

If they particularly loved massive boobs, they'd probably notice if a girl had massive boobs. If you're particularly attracted to something, you'd probably notice if someone had it, especially if it wasn't particularly common.

My boyfriend, for example, loves tall girls with long legs, and will always point out if he sees a girl with particularly good legs (and he'll always notice that more than a girl with good boobs or bum, since he's a leg guy). I'm sure if he was into thigh gaps he'd probably notice if someone had one.

And besides, even if most men wouldn't notice, I'm sure she would, and there's nothing wrong with wanting something for yourself.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I love these threads. Body shaming left and right.

Op asks a short question.
    The world lights up on fire.

We have women asking men if this is a good goal. Wut? Are your esthetic goals predicated on what random men think?
    No one seems to bat an eye.
    And then a guy gives his own opinion and "oh,my good, body shaming, wah, wail, renting of clothes. Burn him."
    The comparison picture on what is sexy and what isn't.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable "bones to dogs" and "real girls have curves" bingo spot.

Your body, your goals.
    I asked my son yup because I already have my own thoughts...curious what young men thought of it....reasonable thing to do....

esp since most things young women do are to impress men...that is the reality of it...

so so so glad girls I hang out with DO NOT have this approach. Nope. Never live a life just because man likes it. Primitive and so Uncool.

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

We have women asking men if this is a good goal. Wut? Are your esthetic goals predicated on what random men think?
    And then a guy gives his own opinion and "oh,my good, body shaming, wah, wail, renting of clothes. Burn him."

I'm just waiting for the inevitable "bones to dogs" and "real girls have curves" bingo spot.

Your body, your goals.

+ 1
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Your body, your goals.
    I asked my son yup because I already have my own thoughts...curious what young men thought of it....reasonable thing to do....

esp since most things young women do are to impress men...that is the reality of it...

You asked your son if your thigh gap was sexy?

*shudder*

that's gross...I don't have thigh gap actually...I asked my son if he thought it in general was considered "sexy" by men his age...jeez man get your head otta the slimy place it just went....*smh*

Your body, your goals.

#youwenthere
    #lol

554664fadb753b82389cccbe_mad-max-girls.gif

Yup...as a 40 something yo woman who was once 20 something I know that as young woman a lot do things to make themselves more appealing to men...I couldn't be bothered at my age...but in my early 20's yah I admit I did care.

and here is a thread to prove that point...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176387/men-what-should-a-woman-eat-or-not-on-the-first-date/p1

Given that guys don't care about thigh gaps, your argument is that young women do this because guys care about it. ok.
    And proof is a young woman asking about dating advice. ok.
    Wut?

I'm sure people DO do *some* things for attraction. Men and women, old and young. It's probably ok, I don't know? Looking sexy and all that?

But *most* things?
    Not buying it.

Damn - my 20 year olds daughters must be doing it wrong with their careers, sports, studies and travel. Brb, gotta tell them to get with the "attraction" program.

apparently nothing I say is correct in your eyes...oh well I am in my 40's so I don't give a flying fart.

Based on my knowledge of young women (since I was one once) a lot do care about how to attract young men and thigh gap is one of those things that young women think makes them appealing, skinny/slim...did I say it was set in a foundation of truth...not for my son...but some young men do find it appealing...because of the body type.

Proof is that a young woman asked what she should order on a first date to impress a guy...did you read that thread?

Yes people do things to attract the opposite sex...that is normal...as some point in our life we have all done it...for most mature people it stops tho.

And where did I say "ALL" young women worry about "attracting" a guy...and doing things to attract a guy....no where so get you undies unbunched would yah.
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    I'm interested in where this one started? Was it in a women's magazine or something. Or did the Internets come up with it?

Term started/popularized maybe Australia/New Zealand, possible on catwalks related to models and Cara Delevigne.
    (Google trends data). - highly popularized on twitter, et al...
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Genetics.

I think so too. My cousin is a size 1 and has knocked knees. No thigh gap will ever be there.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have thighs.

That's good enough for me lol
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I have a thigh gap

I also have wide hips, slim waist, boobs

I also have fat knees, c-section scar, some stretch marks, a belly pooch, olive skin, curly hair, laughter lines, blisters on my feet from dancing all night in 4" heels and a mild hangover

Cos genetics, life and alcohol

Whatever you got, rock it
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    I'm interested in where this one started? Was it in a women's magazine or something. Or did the Internets come up with it?

I don't know about the term and the widespread controversy in our very recent history originated, but the concept is surely not new. My jr. high and high school years were in the 90's and space between the thighs (no touching or kissing thighs) was a very desirable thing among girls my age, and envied when seen on thinner girls and models.

Speaking for myself and my own experience among my peers, I don't think desire for this trait had anything whatever to do with what any man might think about it. Thighs tend to become shapelier during adolescence, and this change causes things like shorts bunching up on the inner thighs and thighs rubbing/chaffing; and these particular consequences aren't easy to adjust to and accept, and I think these consequences are more highly associated among young girls as being consequences of a weight problem than they are associated as being womanly.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

not everyone can get a six pack either...genetics.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    This is still a thing? Christ..
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I have never heard a guy say. "look at her thigh gap." People might notice it but who really cares about it beside the person who wants one for themselves.
  • jc93230
    jc93230 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Unless Corduroy pants come back in style it does not matter.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jc93230 wrote: »
    Unless Corduroy pants come back in style it does not matter.

lol
    tumblr_inline_my629o5sDj1qkavmj.gif
  • yopeeps025
    Options

not everyone can get a six pack either...genetics.

Well technically it can be done, depending on age, but is it safe is the question.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    it's a genetic bone structure thing, not a fat thing.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    To all the posters (especially men) criticizing the OP and wondering why women should be concerned about such things, just look at the messages we get in the media. Magazines and advertisers REGULARLY PHOTOSHOP models to create a "thigh gap." It's regularly positioned as a desirable trait.

Women are constantly bombarded not only with unhealthy and unattainable body goals, but they are also reminded constantly that their worth to society is dependent on how they look. So of course there are plenty of girls and women with a goal of achieving a thigh gap.

I of course do not think that women's value to society is based or should be based on aesthetics, but that is the message we get all the dang time.

So yes, hoping for a thigh gap seems kind of ridiculous. Well so are the expectations put on women. It is a PRIVILEGE to be outside of those expectations.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Because of having extra wide hips, I've had a thigh gap since I weighed 190 (at 5'4). It's about proportions and body shape, but having the gap =/= healthy. I'd gladly get rid of it to be an extra dress size down.

The only real benefit it's had is keeping my pants from wearing out as quickly.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Back in the 50's and 60's, the "perfect" woman's legs, standing with her feet together, had a small gap at the top (like the "toned" side of the previously posted picture), a small gap just below the knee, and a small gap just above the ankle. Society is constantly changing how it thinks women should look, so just rock what you have and quit trying to meet some arbitrary standard.