Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    spamarie wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    Thanks @noaddedsugarx I look forward to all your new (to me) vocabulary!!

My exhubby is from Ireland - the words he used/uses:
    a kitchen cupboard is a press
    a trash can is a bin
    a gas station is a garage
    a sweater is a jumper
    the letter z is zed
    the number 3 is not three but tree
    one person can be addressed as "you" but more than one is "yous"

edit to add:
    sneakers or tennis shoes are runners

My SO is English and we always joke if we ever had kids and it was a boy we'd name him Zed because he doesn't understand the letter "Z" and I don't get how one letter can be a word!

Also one time we were facetiming and I told him I was going to have to borrow a pair of pants from my sister as it was colder out than I thought it would be and I had only packed shorts. He cracked up and I had no idea until he quit long enough to say "I knew what you meant when you said pants but I couldn't help laughing because here we use the word pants to mean underwear" I still get a kick out of that! It's just so foreign to me I had no idea!

A piece of advice for you. Don't comment on your 'fanny' if you happen to be in the UK. If you don't know why, ask your bf, he'll explain! Fanny-pack is also a no-no!
    I'll explain how I learned this.
    I was about 21 and one of a bunch of British summer students working on a summer camp in Connecticut (sp?). It was a horse camp, and on the first day we were in a big riding arena trotting the girls around on their ponies. Suddenly the instructor shouted out "Come on girls, SQUISH THOSE FANNIES INTO THE SADDLE!!" You can imagine we were all a cross between hysterical and mortified!

Similar story for me. When I was about 12 we had an American teacher come to work in our school (in the UK), and during his first week, we were all dawdling and messing about before class, and he told everyone to, 'hurry up and sit their fannies down'. Hilarious. The boys found it especially confusing. I don't think he said that to any other classes after that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    I have a confession. I bought a bag of Chips Ahoy chocolate chip cookies last week because they were on sale and I wanted to buy some freaking cookies. I selfishly told my daughter "THEY ARE MINE!" when she noticed them.

The confession part...I haven't yet opened the bag because I don't want anyone else eating them and as long as they stay closed, I know no one else is. If I open the bag, I don't want to have to keep track of how many cookies I've eaten vs. how many are left in the bag.

I'm very stingy with my food sometimes.

There is always dark chocolate of some variety in our cabinet. The boy tried it a long time ago and didn't like it, so every time he asks for some I remind him that he doesn't like that kind. Wondering when that will end, and hoping never!

Also, the husband said to me "you like old lady chocolate", so I told him if his taste buds were not refined enough to appreciate my quality chocolate then he should keep it out of his mouth. (To clarify, this conversation was playful not mean.)

That made me smile. Dove dark chocolate promises are some of my absolute favorite. My husband bought 3 bags for me for Christmas.

Its taken me a long time to work out that American Dove chocolate = British Galaxy

I hate galaxy chocolate. Cadburys all the way for sweet, every day chocolate. Dark chocolate for those indulgent treats.

Really? I didn't know that!
    And I can't believe you hate Galaxy! I thought we were friends? I'm not angry, just disappointed. :disappointed:

Oh dear. Galaxy chocolate is just vile, over sweetened, fatty tasting blandness. I mean, i'll eat it in a pinch, when there is nothing else available, but its not my go to.

and apparently, we own page 744!

But Galaxy is so silky smooooooth. I prefer it cold to room temperature. Room temperature it is a bit sickly.

I will never turn down Milka chocolate though. The Swiss get chocolate right on so many levels.

mmmm milka! With daim pieces. Yummy!

:p The best are the HUGE bars you get in the airport. Bit like the MASSIVE Toblerone bars.

I need to stop talking about chocolate...

So them apples. I'm a Braeburn girl myself.

count me in for Pink Ladys. Very juicy, crisp and sweet.

Pink ladies all the way for me... but they have to be organic or they're too bitter.

I spent $16 in pink ladies apples three days ago :(

For GoT, I read the books. Got really bored by the 4th and never bothered waiting for A Dance with Dragons, honestly. Just don't see the point when all he does is killing people off.. Don't really have any interest in the series, unless I guess it shows up on Netflix or Amazon Prime one day... but not into all those series that overplay sex.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    I have never read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Nor me. I have tried. Couldn't get on with it. I don't feel I've missed out.

I've never read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy either. Again, i tried. Got bored.

I love both those series. I tried Lord of the Rings in high school, hated it. Then tried it again right before the movie came out and was hooked. Read all 4 in like 2 weeks. Loved them!

I tried LOTR when the first film came out, tried a few times but couldn't get it.

I discovered Game of Thrones just before christmas last year, was given the book set and absolutely devoured it in about 3 months. The bookshop staff told my partners it would taker me at least 6 months to finish it.

I started them but just haven't had enough time to properly read it do put it down. I plan on making those books my treat when I finish my dissertation. Weird you didn't like the Lord of the Rings trilogy if you like GOT. I find the fantasy aspect similar. Ditto for Harry Potter.

I resisted GoT for a long time, because i thought it was a bit middle earth-ish and like LOTR. A friend told me to watch it, that i would love it. So to humour her, i downloaded the first episode, and was absolutely hooked. We binge watched the first 4 series in 2 weeks over the christmas holiday. But i don't find them particularly fantasy orientated - maybe because i can equate a lot of the power struggles/house factions/events to British historical events - Robert Baratheon was Edward IV; the blackwater was the spanish armada; the high sparrow was the rise of cromwell; Danerys is Charles II/James II/James III. Theres a lot of the war of the roses references too. And these are all my favourite periods of history (barring cromwell).

It helps that westeros is also essential the UK (on a bigger scale). Kings Landing is London, Winterfell is Yorkshire, the wall is either the english/scottish border or the scottish cairngorms, dorne is cornwall, Meereen/braavos etc is the european continent.

I didn't really get on with the Bran/Jojen/Meera storyline...but i could go with the taking the bodies of the direwolves before then.

That is the first thing I noticed when I saw the map. And the fact that everyone in The North has an English Northern accent I found hilarious. Not particularly imaginative of George R.R. Martin I have to say.

Actually, thats nothing to do with GRRM! I saw it on one of the interviews with Kit Harrington. the show producers wanted everyone to have 'BBC' accent. and asked Sean Bean (Ned stark) if he would modify his accent (he also does the O2 adverts). and he basically said no. So then Kit (Jon Snow), who has a very BBC accent, and Richard Madden (Robb Stark), who has a scottish accent, has to adopt a yorkshire accent to fit in. When i get home, I'll see if i can find the interview on youtube

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ugh I don't want to get out of bed for work..I want to sleep in and go in late buuuut I can't. Alright the dragging commences in 3..2..1..

Ha ha yup. I had to get up early for a swim this morning, been up for 5 hours so far...but I do feel better for it. Come on girl, up up!
  • Lois_1989
    Options

I've never read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy either. Again, i tried. Got bored.

I love both those series. I tried Lord of the Rings in high school, hated it. Then tried it again right before the movie came out and was hooked. Read all 4 in like 2 weeks. Loved them!

I tried LOTR when the first film came out, tried a few times but couldn't get it.

I discovered Game of Thrones just before christmas last year, was given the book set and absolutely devoured it in about 3 months. The bookshop staff told my partners it would taker me at least 6 months to finish it.

I started them but just haven't had enough time to properly read it do put it down. I plan on making those books my treat when I finish my dissertation. Weird you didn't like the Lord of the Rings trilogy if you like GOT. I find the fantasy aspect similar. Ditto for Harry Potter.

I resisted GoT for a long time, because i thought it was a bit middle earth-ish and like LOTR. A friend told me to watch it, that i would love it. So to humour her, i downloaded the first episode, and was absolutely hooked. We binge watched the first 4 series in 2 weeks over the christmas holiday. But i don't find them particularly fantasy orientated - maybe because i can equate a lot of the power struggles/house factions/events to British historical events - Robert Baratheon was Edward IV; the blackwater was the spanish armada; the high sparrow was the rise of cromwell; Danerys is Charles II/James II/James III. Theres a lot of the war of the roses references too. And these are all my favourite periods of history (barring cromwell).

It helps that westeros is also essential the UK (on a bigger scale). Kings Landing is London, Winterfell is Yorkshire, the wall is either the english/scottish border or the scottish cairngorms, dorne is cornwall, Meereen/braavos etc is the european continent.

I didn't really get on with the Bran/Jojen/Meera storyline...but i could go with the taking the bodies of the direwolves before then.

That is the first thing I noticed when I saw the map. And the fact that everyone in The North has an English Northern accent I found hilarious. Not particularly imaginative of George R.R. Martin I have to say.

Actually, thats nothing to do with GRRM! I saw it on one of the interviews with Kit Harrington. the show producers wanted everyone to have 'BBC' accent. and asked Sean Bean (Ned stark) if he would modify his accent (he also does the O2 adverts). and he basically said no. So then Kit (Jon Snow), who has a very BBC accent, and Richard Madden (Robb Stark), who has a scottish accent, has to adopt a yorkshire accent to fit in. When i get home, I'll see if i can find the interview on youtube

WTF is a BBC accent? South East England? Love Sean Bean, and his accent. :love: Wouldn't turn down Kit Harrington either.

Anyway, I thought GRRM had full control? Until the last book where he has now announced he is handing it over to the BBC. I get why he did it, but I don't agree with it.
  • Lois_1989
    Options

a trash can is a bin
    a sweater is a jumper
    the letter z is zed

edit to add:

My SO is English and we always joke if we ever had kids and it was a boy we'd name him Zed because he doesn't understand the letter "Z" and I don't get how one letter can be a word!

Also one time we were facetiming and I told him I was going to have to borrow a pair of pants from my sister as it was colder out than I thought it would be and I had only packed shorts. He cracked up and I had no idea until he quit long enough to say "I knew what you meant when you said pants but I couldn't help laughing because here we use the word pants to mean underwear" I still get a kick out of that! It's just so foreign to me I had no idea!

A piece of advice for you. Don't comment on your 'fanny' if you happen to be in the UK. If you don't know why, ask your bf, he'll explain! Fanny-pack is also a no-no!
    I was about 21 and one of a bunch of British summer students working on a summer camp in Connecticut (sp?). It was a horse camp, and on the first day we were in a big riding arena trotting the girls around on their ponies. Suddenly the instructor shouted out "Come on girls, SQUISH THOSE FANNIES INTO THE SADDLE!!" You can imagine we were all a cross between hysterical and mortified!

Similar story for me. When I was about 12 we had an American teacher come to work in our school (in the UK), and during his first week, we were all dawdling and messing about before class, and he told everyone to, 'hurry up and sit their fannies down'. Hilarious. The boys found it especially confusing. I don't think he said that to any other classes after that.

HA oh that teacher would have got shamed in my school. But the kids in my school were nasty buggers. One boy climbed under the teachers desk and tried to set her skirt on fire. I feel for all teachers, they have a hard job these days.
  • spamarie
    Options
    I feel like this is the 'Brit hour' while most of the Americans are still asleep!

Also, please, please, please, please don't put any GoT spoilers on here. I haven't seen the series, but I'm reading the books (on the 5th one I think, although I don't know because it's on the kindle) and if someone spoils any of it for me I will cry. I can see from the kindle I am 86% of the way through the entire thing, and I don't quite know what I'll do with myself when I finish it!

I get very mournful when I finish a series of books. Wishing I could forget all about them and read them again.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    My desk is covered with papers relating to a project. I am not currently working on this project. They just make me look busy.

This is too funny!

Today's plan is to actually work on that project, so at least I wasn't totally lying, right? o:)
  • spamarie
    edited June 2015
    Options

a trash can is a bin
    a sweater is a jumper
    the letter z is zed

edit to add:

HA oh that teacher would have got shamed in my school. But the kids in my school were nasty buggers. One boy climbed under the teachers desk and tried to set her skirt on fire. I feel for all teachers, they have a hard job these days.

Oh we were rowdy, make no mistake. The worst thing I saw (and I was a complete swot and teacher's pet, so wasn't aware of the worst) was in a DT lesson the teacher went into the woodstore/metal cupboard and a kid closed the door and bent a metal bar round the handle behind him so he couldn't get out. The teacher (understandably) went MENTAL in the cupboard. And I didn't know what to do because I wanted to let him out but everyone would have ripped on me, so in the chaos I slipped off to the loo and 'found' another teacher and told him our teacher seems to be missing, please come to our classroom. Thankfully no-one ever found out it was me that fetched someone and I never truly ratted anyone out. I'm a swot but I valued my skin!
  • Lois_1989
    edited June 2015
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »
    I'm trying quite hard to not use pregnancy as an excuse to lapse into bad eating habits, but it is HARD. I never had any issue getting plenty of fruit and veg before, but most veg is turning my stomach at the moment. How has mankind evolved to be repulsed by the most healthy of foods at a time you would think good nutrition is critical!? Cheese and crackers and salty, salty crisps on the other hand, I can consume those by the bucket load.

This is probably why prenatal vitamins are important - just saying.

Thankfully I am organised and started taking prenatal vitamins 3 months before we conceived so no worries there. In good food news, I managed to eat a massive bowl of spinach yesterday. It was straight out of my garden, so having washed it myself it somehow felt 'safe' to eat and didn't turn my stomach. Sadly none of my other veggies will be ready to harvest for at least another few weeks. I will have to just keep trying!

Ah, I really want a house with a garden. I want to grow all sorts of lovely eatables. Well done on the spinach, I do like fresh spinach. I still feel like Popeye when I eat it :smiley:
  • spamarie
    Options
    I'm trying quite hard to not use pregnancy as an excuse to lapse into bad eating habits, but it is HARD. I never had any issue getting plenty of fruit and veg before, but most veg is turning my stomach at the moment. How has mankind evolved to be repulsed by the most healthy of foods at a time you would think good nutrition is critical!? Cheese and crackers and salty, salty crisps on the other hand, I can consume those by the bucket load.

Thankfully I am organised and started taking prenatal vitamins 3 months before we conceived so no worries there. In good food news, I managed to eat a massive bowl of spinach yesterday. It was straight out of my garden, so having washed it myself it somehow felt 'safe' to eat and didn't turn my stomach. Sadly none of my other veggies will be ready to harvest for at least another few weeks. I will have to just keep trying!

Ah, I really want a house with a garden. I want to grow all sorts of lovely eatables. Well done on the spinach, I do like fresh spinach. I still feel like Popeye when I eat it :smiley:

We basically bought this house because it came with a big garden. Essentially we bought a garden that happened to have a house in it. This is why I've spent the past 18 months doing some serious DIY (and plan on carrying on for at least the next 5 years!). We love our garden, but you really can start small. You can grow lettuces from seed in pots. You won't be self-sufficient, but it's pretty satisfying. I know lots of people who grow herbs in pots too.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I've been told that because I'm a massive Tolkien nerd I'll love Game of Thrones.

Um, no. Too much gore, rape, and gratuitous violence. Frankly, GoT makes me think George RR Martin should maybe get some counselling.

And nothing and no-one will ever compare to Tolkien and his worldbuilding.
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I've been told that because I'm a massive Tolkien nerd I'll love Game of Thrones.

Um, no. Too much gore, rape, and gratuitous violence. Frankly, GoT makes me think George RR Martin should maybe get some counselling.

And nothing and no-one will ever compare to Tolkien and his worldbuilding.

Touche, I think I can agree with this. I do think violence has increased over the years. I don't know if that is a television thing, I don't remember the book being graphic, but I only read the first one years ago.
  • spamarie
    Options
    The books are pretty graphic, but I don;t mind a graphic read. I can't stand to watch it though - my visual memory is too good! It's the main reason I haven't watched the series, and probably never will.
  • Lois_1989
    Options

We basically bought this house because it came with a big garden. Essentially we bought a garden that happened to have a house in it. This is why I've spent the past 18 months doing some serious DIY (and plan on carrying on for at least the next 5 years!). We love our garden, but you really can start small. You can grow lettuces from seed in pots. You won't be self-sufficient, but it's pretty satisfying. I know lots of people who grow herbs in pots too.

That made me smile, yea, I still need to get on the market first. Its just so difficult. We were looking at new build flats the other day. £345,000.00 for a 2 bed room and you have to pay £10,000 for a parking space. £10,000! It's sickening.
  • orangesmartie
    Options
    I feel like this is the 'Brit hour' while most of the Americans are still asleep!

Also, please, please, please, please don't put any GoT spoilers on here. I haven't seen the series, but I'm reading the books (on the 5th one I think, although I don't know because it's on the kindle) and if someone spoils any of it for me I will cry. I can see from the kindle I am 86% of the way through the entire thing, and I don't quite know what I'll do with myself when I finish it!

I get very mournful when I finish a series of books. Wishing I could forget all about them and read them again.

oh god sorry!!! I will endeavour not to spoiler. I'm such a huge GoT fan, TV series and books. I've just started reading them again. I love talking about it with other fans, but i don't know many people who've read the books :(

But i will say the books are better at some storylines, the tv show is better at others.
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    Finally caught up! My confession is I've been drinking too much...every single day for quite awhile. I am making a commitment to not drink Monday through Thursday this week. Please think good thoughts for me!

ETA: A little embarrassed to admit this quasi publicly, but hoping admitting it on here will make me face reality. Since I know there are several of you that have admitted to stopping for good.

You are so not judged. I'm thinking about (not yet committed to ) a dry June. Yes, it is a big enough of a deal to not drink for an entire month for me but June is my worst month. My dad died 3 years ago on his and my mother's 43rd wedding anniversary, right after Father's Day. I tend to drink and cry from one to the other. I try to keep that as discrete as possible (the drinking, not the crying ) so I'm not a super horrible example to my kids but seriously, it is excessive and it needs to stop.

You are not alone. Many people struggle with cutting back on drinking.

I am sorry for your loss. My father died right after 4th of july 1990 and I still morn him. He was a shot and a beer guy and drank every night before he went to bed. I toast him with a shot and a beer on 4th of july and on his birthday in October. It makes me feel better to keep this ritual in his memory.

My dad died 26 years ago this June, 3 days before my parents wedding annivesary and again, right after Father's Day. Still miss him every day.

Funny how it never seems any easier.....my father died on Dec 3rd, 1991, I still cry every single time that anniversary passes. He died very suddenly, and inadvertently left me alone with my crazy mother, so it was really difficult. He was the person I loved most in the world, and I still miss him every day. My son is named after him, and it makes me tear up when I think about how my son never got to meet him. My sister said she cried a lot when he died too, not only because he was a great stepdad to her, but because she felt bad for the way he was treated by our mother and when he died she felt bad that he wasted so many years of his life being treated like that.
    I lost my Dad to cancer at 61 in July 2012. It was pretty quick really, he had his kidney removed just over a year before, but then it came back and he deteriorated quickly. I loved my Dad totally, I feel so lucky when some people on here have talked about their upbringings because I had a great childhood.

But last year, on only the second anniversary of his death I was really into what I was doing at work at the time and I completely forgot until my brother text to see of I was ok. This made me feel like I was a terrible person. Me and my brother have both always said to my mum that we don't want to mark the occasion, we'd rather continue to celebrate his birthday instead, and her brother and sisters tend to do something with her on the anniversary. But I felt awful that I didn't even realise.

I've never really been much of a crier, and tend to get on with things, but some things will really upset me. Sometimes even imagined things, like a song I think he'd have liked and I imagine him telling me about this great new singer that I was trying to get him into years before, but he'd only have recognised when they came onto radio 2. And when my brother got married last month I got quite upset when we did something to remember him, but I'd not have expected that I would have.

But I have found that it does seem easier, I love my dad and always will, he has played a big part in who I am, and although I miss him when he should be around I know how he would have felt about things and can imagine his reaction. And to me the anniversary of his death is the opposite to special and not something I want to mark.
  • orangesmartie
    Options

WTF is a BBC accent? South East England? Love Sean Bean, and his accent. :love: Wouldn't turn down Kit Harrington either.

Anyway, I thought GRRM had full control? Until the last book where he has now announced he is handing it over to the BBC. I get why he did it, but I don't agree with it.

BBC Accent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_Pronunciation. GRRM doesn't have control of the TV shows, although he is a contributer and reads all the scripts (or did up until this series, where he said he was concentrating on the next book). There was loads of brilliant bonus interviews and stuff on sky on demand, loads of behind the scenes stuff.

No, i'm not at all obsessed.

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

a trash can is a bin
    a sweater is a jumper
    the letter z is zed

edit to add:

Y'all have the greatest accents- I could listen to any one of you talk all day and not get bored haha
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I confess I'm annoyed at MFP right now. For some reason when I click on the thread now it takes me to the last post, and not the first one I haven't read :(