WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good night everyone.....

Oh ..finally got the dog bathed ...sort of anyway. He got to close to me when I was watering the greenhouse...

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan

PS.... Pip - I like Pip ...why were you changing to Poop?
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Penny, your husband's job sounds so interesting. I'm a bit jealous of you being in such a beautiful area. I know it is cold and sometimes no light other times no break from the light but it is beautiful. Loved the picture. I am dissapointed you weren't featured on House hunters. I live vicariously by others by watching those kind of shows. I feel I have traveled to many countries.

Allison, I hope that ceiling lasts until the weekend. :'(

Heather, so proud of you in throwing that cake away. It was kind of like throwing away your own creation, sorry it made you so sad. Am also jealous of your trip.

Pip, happy birthday to Bullwinkle. I also like Pip better, it reminds me of pep which you definetely have. How about Pipy-poo? I don't use any curse words and to me jokingly calling some one poop would be a curse word. Yeah I know, I'm a bit old fashioned. I don't drink any alcohol either. Drove the kids in the dorm at college crazy.

Chris. I'm getting a bit disgusted with my FitBit flex. I bought it because it was waterproof and I don't want to miss a minute of exercise. But it sure is a buster to get on. In order for me to count my bike riding, I have to take the device out and put it in my pocket. But then I have to put it back on m wrist again.

Michele, no you don't have to buy a cup of coffee at Kryspy Kreme. We tried it last year for the first time. All we did was go in and ask if we had to get the glazed doughnut and they said no we could pick whatever we wanted. So I picked a chocolate and husband picked something else. When they boxed it all up, they went ahead and gave us a free glazed doughnut and our choice plus to make the box even they put in two more glazed! A little more than what we needed.

Sherry, hugs to you for all your stress. I wish I could say everything will be OK with your son but we all know we just can't say it and it is that way. But we are with you to hod your hand and give you a box of kleenex.

Welcome to all our newcomers since my last post, workfrhome, Brenda in Va, dbrinkmeyer, TinaT, Rini-s, ydailey, stormywater and miakoda40 who by looking at her profile shows she has already lost 88 pounds!

Good choir practice at church tonight. We pick up and stat a new song pretty much every week to keep music up to date for at least a month. One has a duet which can be sung by 2 men, 2 women or a woman and man. Well the tenor is fairly high and the soprano is fairly low so I suggested to my cohort in the low alto section that she and I do it. She is thinking about it. I have always want to get my feet wet and sing a solo as I used to sing solos all the time at my previous church. But there are 2 other altos that have the most pure gorgeous voices I have ever heard and it kind of intimidates me. But they sing solos in the more contemporary songs we sing. This other lady has such a precious voice for an 80 year old. Anyway even if some one else does it, it's a nice song. We are still working hard on a big, 22 pages long, song that is for the end of the month. The low altos are singing the tenor part for most of the song and it's hard for me to transpose knowing what the tenor notes on the bass clef are in the treble clef for me. But i ma getting it slowly but surely. Tomorrow we are going to see the new movie about the San Andreas fault. I can't believe ticket prices. A senior matinee ticket is $7.25! It's a 1:20 showing so it will be right after lunch and i won't be tempted to have a snack.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    italy10548 wrote: »
    I just love this group <3 Of beautiful honest women that tell it like it is. Going to take a shower for my haircut appointment this afternoon - hope this new stylist doesn't cut all my hair off. I get really nervous when they tell me the last haircut is uneven and they need to correct that. Which really means goodbye hair. Every time I find a stylist I like they move or change professions! Ug!

Rosie in San Diego, I have to share what happened once when I went to get a professional haircut. I'm a nature child so I don't cut my hair very often – maybe once every six months. I told the stylist simply to cut off half what was there and that would be fine.

Did she scold me for not coming in more often? No! She commented about how much fun it was for her to cut someone's hair when it really made a difference.

When she was through, the cut had revealed a natural color pattern, with light hair on top shading to darker underneath around ears and nape. She pointed out that she herself had exactly the same pattern, only hers was the result of careful dying. Wasn't that sweet?
    I did my research on the cruise and settled on one that goes right up to 600 miles from the Pole. I rang up Saga and took a 48 hr option on a cabin.

Heather – Good for you and good that your husband wants to come along! Maybe, just maybe, he will end up a convert to the Arctic. Keep me in the loop about developments. If the times are right I might arrange to be at one of the stops and point at interesting features. :p
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Penny at the Pole – I have a friend who has heard that when you are near the Pole you can feel the Northern Lights and not just see them. That intrigues me. Do you happen to know if it is true? I want to visit as close to the pole as I can and see the Northern Lights for myself.

miakoda40 (what do you want to be called?) No, that's not true, you can't feel them. It's also a myth that you can hear the Northern Lights. But some people are so overwhelmed that their brains "fill in" extra sensations for them. Last winter, around Christmas, we had some spectacular Northern Lights. They stretched all the way across the sky and had those curtain-like shapes you see in pictures. It was so grand I got out of bed, got dressed, went outside, and admired them for a good quarter hour despite the cold (15°F) and even though it was about 2 am.

Another thing is that you don't have to go to the pole to see them. In fact you shouldn't! They're strongest in a lopsided circle around the magnetic pole. Since the magnetic pole is in somewhere in Canada, you see the Northern Lights much farther south in the US and Canada than in Europe. And you can see them on summer nights! Where I live, we never see them in the summer, because the sun never sets.

Duty calls. Gotta run.
    Penny at the Pole

• JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    SC Janet - the trouble w an afternoon start time is that night socialization tends to be at bars. I'm the world's cheapest drunk, so I don't drink much if at all, and people who did kept trying to change my mind.
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    Beth on wny-- your Housman said your son can't be required to do his own laundry?? ?? ???????
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    Indiana Joyce - did I say 6-6? Typo city! I used to be five-seven and a half, but now I'm apparently five-five (the number I was told last time at the doc's) or five-six, the figure in by online med records.
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    Yeepers. A couple days away and I'm six screens behind, no way I can catch up on phone.
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    Terri in Milwaukee

For midnight munchies, what about a big bowl of fruit and yogurt? Buy the 32-oz tubs of Damon light and fit Greek vanilla. Dump 1 cup yog and 1 cup fruit in a bowl. Mix. My favorite is frozen cherries, which don't seem to freeze hard, and are soft enough to eat almost immediately. Plus they freeze the yog around them to an almost faux-ice-cream state,

A whole package of steam able veg is about 120 cal and another big bowlful.

If all else fails, try cutting the chicken breast in half. Put half in the fridge and see if the other calms your stomach.

• JanetMMcC
    Options
    SC Janet - I'm in New Orleans itsownself, but in Algiers - the bit on the West Bank of the mississippi.

For folks using the quote function - I'm doing that, but rather than attempting selective deletion on my phone, I'm just using "delete all."

JanetM
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    morning ladies!
    well had a rotten nights sleep last night.. fell asleep around 8 woke up at 11:30 and was awake until 1:45 fell back asleep and woke up at 5.
    Joyce~ my fit bit flex is giving me issues I have been through abour 3 of them and I dont even wear it in the shower.. ticking me off
    have ALOT to do today.. mow the lawn and weed wack, take the dogs for a walk, then go to the verizon store, and find out why our bill is astronomical ,as we only have 2gb between the 2 of us..
    have a load of laundry in , and at 7:45 i have a meeting at the nursing home..
  • luvinlife2012
    luvinlife2012 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow, this group is unbelievable! Hoping to figure out how to carve out time for staying more connected and caught up. You all are so interesting and supportive and fun! I'm never going to get to know you if I don't get on here for more than 60 seconds to log activity. But I'm finding a rhythm maybe :) I've at least logged on 10 consecutive days. Not sure if I've ever accomplished that. And I "completed" my entries before falling asleep last night. Being mindful of stress levels helps! Thanks Joyce for your encouraging words. Gotta run, work is calling, catch y'all lata xoxoxo

Sherry in Tulsa
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Italy ~ Your picture didn’t show up. Would love to see your new do!

Heather ~ The trip to Norway sound very interesting. Glad your DH decided to go. I know exactly how you feel about worrying about the rental. My sis and I are agonizing over what to do with our mom’s house and furniture.

Jan ~ Good for you resisting the brownies and slowly savoring the cheese.

Leslie ~ All of your had work is to be admired.

Jules ~ Hope the docs are able to stabilize the PSA

Lillian ~ LOL about the dog.

N. Pole Penny ~ What a wonderful experience to see the Northern Lights. I do not think I would like the months of light then darkness.

I am so proud that I have made it to the end of p. 9. Wow, it's hard to keep up with so many posts.

Going to drive down and see my mom today. Hope the traffic on I-75 isn't too bad.

Carol/Peach
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    euow2y4uncnl.jpg

This is my "before" picture....I knit this sweater and thought that it was ample and would look great---it was my wake up call that made me realize how much I'd ignored my weight...it was taken not long before I started MFP in 2009...jeans size 16

3bm9cbgr9crq.jpg

This is at a line dance performance last year....jeans size 6

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Wow Barbie! Quite a change. My pants are still Size 16. At 110 lbs I still wore a 12.
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    manbre wrote: »
    Hi I'm Brenda I am 53started working out again after 3years need to get motivated again

Hi, Brenda! What sort of workouts are you doing? Me, I'm just walking so far. And not very far at that. Only made 10k steps once since first login. Tho my average is up.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    I did something on purpose yesterday to teach myself that it is okay to "mess up" and not call the day a fail. My typical response would have been to call the week a fail and derail my efforts to date from there. Not anymore. I cannot have an all or nothing attitude in this journey towards health and fitness.

fnl3klrv5vc9.png

A new day is upon us! Let's ride it out in unison towards a successful day of good intentions! :)<3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    MNMargaret: When my mom passed we sold her house to a couple that later invited us to stop in and see what they’d done with it. It was such a kindness! To see it all fixed up and sparkling with the care and happiness of the new owners really helped me. :heart:

Sherry in Tulsa: I record my food intake on my phone app as the day goes along. It really helps me stay accurate, and I don’t have a bunch of stuff to add at the end of the day. It is too easy for me to forget things if I wait. I used to weigh and measure everything, but as time and success went along I eased back on that practice. Sure enough, the weight began to creep up. I'm still within my target range but too near the top for peace of mind, so I went back to measuring. Guessing portion size is a risky practice. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I love your before and after pics! Do you still have the beautiful red sweater? I bet it fits differently now! :bigsmile:

Peach: If you wore a size 12 at 110 pounds I wonder how tall you are. It seems like you’d have to stand twice to cast a shadow at 110 pounds! :flowerforyou:

Some of the most satisfying NSVs occur at the clothing store. Smaller clothes are better proof of success than a number on the scale. The last pair of jeans I bought are size 7/8. It occurred to me that, for the first time in my life, I can now shop at the 5 7 9 store if I want, not that I actually want to shop there. Now that I fit, I suspect I’m too old to like their stuff.

My best NSV so far occurred on Memorial Day weekend when we were rafted up with sailing friends. One of them has had a lot of weight related health problems in recent years including heart trouble & knee replacement surgery for both knees. He is looking great now and said that my weight loss success inspired him to lose weight. I felt so complimented! I do not know whether he is using MFP.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    Heather, with the cake dumping, resuming the workout, the writing and all, you totally rock!
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Let’s start the day with a confession! I had to have a country ham biscuit this morning so I stopped by Hardees and picked one up. As I was walking in the building on of my co-workers stopped me because she had a gift for me. It was a Bojangles country ham biscuit. The confession is I happily ate them both. Woe is me! >:) I'm drinking some slimming tea right now!

The new car is great. <3 I bought a 2013 Ford Taurus. I traded a 2003 Cadillac Seville which I absolutely loved. The new car doesn’t have all the bells and whistles the Caddy had but it’s not going to breakdown anytime soon and when it does breakdown I won’t have to almost take out a loan to get it repaired. The SO is not real happy about it yet but that’s ok. He hasn’t yet noticed that it doesn’t have satellite radio capability so I’m going to try to take care of that this week. I think I can get some kind of “doohickey” to put in the car so I can have satellite radio. It does help on long trips.

Terri: Thanks for the tip about beginning planking! I’ll give it a try tonight. :)

Vicki: A jump rope sounds fantastic! I’ve always wanted to do that but have various excuses like the girls will be jumping up and down too much; my knees can’t take it; etc. Perhaps I’ll give it a try before the end of summer. :)

Barbie: I’ve noticed that since I have focused on drinking water my coffee intake is down also. I used to have 3 cups before I left home and brought 12 oz. to work with me in my coffee mug. Now I think I’m down to 2 cups at home and bringing none. :)

Michele: I don’t know about putting yogurt in my oatmeal. My initial reaction was yuck! :s Have you done it? How was it?

Sherry: Congratulations on 10 consecutive days! I have never been past 35 consecutive days but I keep trying!

Barbie: Loved the before and after pictures. BTW I have a cowboy hat just like yours. :)

Poopy Pip: I could not possibly log out without a shout out to you! :D

Tere in Richmond VA
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    Brenda - you and I are in similar places, as far as weight loss. I've lost 50 since topping out at 213, but recently decided to go for a BMI of 25 or less, which means another 12 lbs. which means work.