From a size 20 to a size 8 with strength training, in one year! PICS!

Options

Replies

• adam_hodgson
    adam_hodgson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your hard work and dedication!

Thank you, sir. Appreciate that!

Your welcome
  • shawn35
    shawn35 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's pretty dope.
  • belleamore1234
    belleamore1234 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    truly amazing!!!!!!!!
  • BuckyArden33
    BuckyArden33 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    very nice, well done
  • GenElizabeth
    GenElizabeth Posts: 291 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys, hope you all are having a great weekend so far!!

I'm super excited right now because on Monday, I'm going to be starting a split routine at the gym that I'm putting together for myself. It is based on my favorite, most effective exercises, focusing on the reverse pyramid training style. :blush:

As you may have already read in this thread, I usually do full body workouts 5-6 days a week, versus working certain muscles groups at a time and taking rest days in between.

Working out at home these days, I am at a point where my equipment doesn't allow me to lift heavy enough to require taking a day or two off to rest and I'm beginning to feel like I have done what I can here..

I have started back up at the gym recently (making sure to carefully monitor my food and energy levels so I don't digress and adjust accordingly, if needed). Still working out 5-6 days a week, just changed the routine to split days instead of full body. I'm seeing strength improvements in almost every exercise that I do so it was definitely time to start going again regularly! I'm so proud every of myself, every time I can lift a heavier weight than before. :heart:

As far as weight on the scale goes, I had been stuck at 140lbs (I am 5'3") for about 8 weeks (since the end of March), but in just 2 weeks or so of being in the gym again and really pushing myself, I'm down almost 4lbs with smaller waist measurements and improved strength. I feel like I am right where I need to be for now and that's super exciting!

Remember to always challenge yourself, you're usually a lot stronger than you think. And be consistent, every good day adds up. Happy Saturday all! :smile:
  • gemmi33
    gemmi33 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have just read this entire thread, and I can't tell you how inspiring it is. You have really made me think about things and motivated me. I am also 5"4 and nearly hitting 11 stone. I so want to get down to 9 stone 7 which I haven't been for years!! I am really going to research strength training and get this ball rolling. Thank you for this and you look fantastic, you should be very proud x
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on sticking to this. It shows that hard work really pays off. You look so good.
    What do you think about strength training for woman like me( just turned 56)?
    So far I've lost 24 lbs and need to lose 30-50 more. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Butterfly2022MD
    Butterfly2022MD Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Fit and Fab! Good job
  • SarahFit92
    SarahFit92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been putting off doing cardio because of foot pain. I didn't realize I could slim down by focusing on weight-lifting. You've given me new hope!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    super job. Lifting is the fountain of youth. You turned back the clock and look awesome.
  • epixstudiosnh
    epixstudiosnh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Wooo look at those muscles girl!! You look fantastic and so happy! Great job!
  • katieannebrown
    katieannebrown Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look amazing! Such an inspiration!
  • GenElizabeth
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Congratulations on sticking to this. It shows that hard work really pays off. You look so good.
    What do you think about strength training for woman like me( just turned 56)?
    So far I've lost 24 lbs and need to lose 30-50 more. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you. Congrats on the 24lbs lost, that's great! I think strength training is important for ANY age but especially, for woman over 40. Unfortunately, our bodies lose muscle over the years and as we get older, that process accelerates.

Strength training helps preserve your muscle mass and keeps your bones positioned properly, helping with osteoporosis and bad posture. The muscles tell the bones where to go, not the other way around.

I'd encourage you to pick up a pair of 5lb dumbbells and start doing 3 different exercises for your upper body and 3 for lower. You can google "dumbbell exercises for beginners", there are a lot of great instructional videos out there that can be of help!

Never too old, too inexperienced or too disabled to get healthy. :smile:
  • GenElizabeth
    Options
    And thanks so much everyone. I am blessed to have fitness and nutrition in my life. It has been a gift that just keeps on giving. :blush:
  • shellyb17
    shellyb17 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Holy cow girl, you are my new idol! Congratulations on your success!
  • saltypancakez
    saltypancakez Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Seriously....how gorgeous can you be?!
    You look absolutely stunning.

Thank you for sharing and a huge 'congratulations' to you!
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! Way to go! you look amazing!!
  • schooby2
    schooby2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am starting at 205 with goal of 135. Your pictures encouraged me! Keep it up as a lifestyle!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wonderful progress and results. Well done you!
  • Mom2ATM
    Mom2ATM Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    This is so inspirational! awesome ....congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!