Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Question for Susie: How's it worked out when Ramadan will be? I know it's coming up soon. Is it extra challenging when it falls during a month with long days? Right now it doesn't get dark until about 10pm, and dawn is super early - that's a really long day. Do people ever grumble?

Ramadan follows the lunar calendar. :) It's the ninth month of the lunar calendar, so it gets a little earlier every (Gregorian) year, by about two weeks. For the last several years, it's been falling in the summer, so it's definitely a harder time for fasting. :) This year it's expected to fall on the 18th, but it doesn't officially start until someone sights the crescent moon, marking the beginning of the new lunar month.

It's mostly challenging when it's HOT. In Saudi Arabia, we almost always have 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of dark, so the time doesn't change significantly--but being thirsty in the middle of summer can be killer! As for the hours, a Muslim friend of mine who lives in Finland actually has to fast for 21 hours! Imagine trying to fit all of your calories into a three-hour window... ;) But she says that she doesn't have a huge issue with hunger--most people tend to get more thirsty than hungry, because being dehydrated can sometimes kill your appetite.

Our fasting window will be from 3:20 AM until about 6:30 PM, which will gradually get earlier as the month goes on, because the sun is beginning to set earlier at this point. It usually gets earlier by about one minute every two days or so. :) It's not really very hard unless you get up really early--It'll be about a 10 hour fasting window for me.

As for grumbling, that's one of the main challenges of Ramadan. You're told to be especially kind, helpful, merciful, and respectful during the Holy month, as well as doing extra worship. Being a better version of yourself when you're hungry and thirsty is DIFFICULT. The smokers and caffeine addicts tend to be really nasty in Ramadan, but acting nastily or rudely takes away from the reward of your fast. Whining that you're hungry and thirsty is perfectly acceptable, though... ;);)

We have IT folks at work who follow this. I was always amazed at no eating or drinking. I could survive the food but I drink a TON. Going thirsty definitely makes me cranky.

Well, Ramadan is meant to be a challenge--You're forced to feel what the poor feel, the ones who have no food or clean water to drink at all. When you're actually feeling what they feel, it softens your heart towards the needy, because as others have said... Seeing starving people on tv halfway across the world just doesn't feel real to us sometimes. It's a bit of a wake-up call, to make people grateful that they don't have to live this way all the time.

There's also a massive reward for fasting in Ramadan--when done properly, a Muslim will exit the holy month as free of sin as the day he/she was born. But doing it properly isn't just about the fast. :)
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    i get pint of ice cream, take half a cup and immediately put water in the remaining ice cream jar to make sure I don't have more. PS...yes I tried throwing it in the garbage but technically if the lid is still on, you can take it out and have some more ;-)
  • Porcinette
    Porcinette Posts: 34 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have gone to the movies alone so that I could eat a huge bag of candy in the darkness without being judged. Lol :'(
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    vvcmon wrote: »
    I cry every night because the feeling of my thighs rubbing this much kills me

Don't cry. Beyonce has tree trunk thighs and everybody loves her.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Spent over $100 on groceries, went to Taco Bell right afterwards.
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    vvcmon wrote: »
    I cry every night because the feeling of my thighs rubbing this much kills me

Don't cry. Beyonce has tree trunk thighs and everybody loves her.

Spot on!
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Finally had my favorite brownie sundae yesterday. Haven't been to the ice cream place since a few days before I started here in September. The girl working the counter made it huge. FOUR scoops of vanilla bean ice cream. It is $6, but they give you so much product and the quality is great, so I don't mind paying it. It had to be at least 1,000 calories. No f*cks given. It was amazing and worth it. I'll take it over a half mixed, overpriced Blizzard from Dairy Queen any day.

CG7B1VLW0AAG92I.jpg
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Question for Susie: How's it worked out when Ramadan will be? I know it's coming up soon. Is it extra challenging when it falls during a month with long days? Right now it doesn't get dark until about 10pm, and dawn is super early - that's a really long day. Do people ever grumble?

Ramadan follows the lunar calendar. :) It's the ninth month of the lunar calendar, so it gets a little earlier every (Gregorian) year, by about two weeks. For the last several years, it's been falling in the summer, so it's definitely a harder time for fasting. :) This year it's expected to fall on the 18th, but it doesn't officially start until someone sights the crescent moon, marking the beginning of the new lunar month.

It's mostly challenging when it's HOT. In Saudi Arabia, we almost always have 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of dark, so the time doesn't change significantly--but being thirsty in the middle of summer can be killer! As for the hours, a Muslim friend of mine who lives in Finland actually has to fast for 21 hours! Imagine trying to fit all of your calories into a three-hour window... ;) But she says that she doesn't have a huge issue with hunger--most people tend to get more thirsty than hungry, because being dehydrated can sometimes kill your appetite.

Our fasting window will be from 3:20 AM until about 6:30 PM, which will gradually get earlier as the month goes on, because the sun is beginning to set earlier at this point. It usually gets earlier by about one minute every two days or so. :) It's not really very hard unless you get up really early--It'll be about a 10 hour fasting window for me.

As for grumbling, that's one of the main challenges of Ramadan. You're told to be especially kind, helpful, merciful, and respectful during the Holy month, as well as doing extra worship. Being a better version of yourself when you're hungry and thirsty is DIFFICULT. The smokers and caffeine addicts tend to be really nasty in Ramadan, but acting nastily or rudely takes away from the reward of your fast. Whining that you're hungry and thirsty is perfectly acceptable, though... ;);)

We have IT folks at work who follow this. I was always amazed at no eating or drinking. I could survive the food but I drink a TON. Going thirsty definitely makes me cranky.

Well, Ramadan is meant to be a challenge--You're forced to feel what the poor feel, the ones who have no food or clean water to drink at all. When you're actually feeling what they feel, it softens your heart towards the needy, because as others have said... Seeing starving people on tv halfway across the world just doesn't feel real to us sometimes. It's a bit of a wake-up call, to make people grateful that they don't have to live this way all the time.

Hmmm. That sounds really good and noble. One of those reminders that we could ALL use once in a while, to know how it feels to be less fortunate.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

Hmmm. That sounds really good and noble. One of those reminders that we could ALL use once in a while, to know how it feels to be less fortunate.
    Agreed.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thank god it's summer! Just found out my gym is closed from tomorrow until June 29th for remodeling!! I know I can jog outside but I have always been a gym goer- this just makes me sad :'(

Edited- spelling for the win again!
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    Spent over $100 on groceries, went to Taco Bell right afterwards.
    Isn't the reward for doing a big grocery shop not having to go home and cook?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Porcinette wrote: »
    I have gone to the movies alone so that I could eat a huge bag of candy in the darkness without being judged. Lol :'(

Candy? Meh.

But I could totally consider doing that with a big container of movie theater popcorn. With butter.

You may or may not want to know you can make it taste like that at home without having to hide. Pop it in coconut oil and use clarified butter.
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    My mom and brother should have landed in Montreal by now, and my grandparents are coming at 3. I'm nervous about seeing my grandparents because I NEVER do. I grew up closer to my mom's side of the family and never really got to know my dad's side, so I'm nervous and will probably act awkwardly around them.
    Hope it all goes ok.
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    My mom and brother should have landed in Montreal by now, and my grandparents are coming at 3. I'm nervous about seeing my grandparents because I NEVER do. I grew up closer to my mom's side of the family and never really got to know my dad's side, so I'm nervous and will probably act awkwardly around them.

Good luck! You'll be fine :)
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    ttcbelieve wrote: »
    i get pint of ice cream, take half a cup and immediately put water in the remaining ice cream jar to make sure I don't have more. PS...yes I tried throwing it in the garbage but technically if the lid is still on, you can take it out and have some more ;-)

But..but..you're ruining perfectly good ice cream :o:'(

Next time send it my way! :)
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    Lefty1290 wrote: »
    Finally had my favorite brownie sundae yesterday. Haven't been to the ice cream place since a few days before I started here in September. The girl working the counter made it huge. FOUR scoops of vanilla bean ice cream. It is $6, but they give you so much product and the quality is great, so I don't mind paying it. It had to be at least 1,000 calories. No f*cks given. It was amazing and worth it. I'll take it over a half mixed, overpriced Blizzard from Dairy Queen any day.

CG7B1VLW0AAG92I.jpg

Looks delicious!! The mention of blizzards is making me crave ice cream now! Dang it haha
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    I confess that tonight I am irritated that my daughter's sister is coming here asking me for food (again), after spending all her (and her boyfriends) money on a dog they had for a week and had no business having at all.

On top of that, she just found out she is pregnant, and nobody except her and the boyfriend are happy about it. My daughter and I are both mortified....

She is 22, lives in a motel room, on assistance, and has a trustee to handle her money as she cannot even do that herself.....her boyfriend works full time at a fast food joint, and the second they get any money they are out blowing it. They do not have a pot to piss in, and now are gonna have a baby....

She is mentally slow, her mentality is that of about a 13 year old.....God help that baby, and everyone else that is gonna be affected by it.....

I'm really sorry you have to deal with this. It's almost exactly the same with my sister. I am dreading her new baby being born in October. I fully expect to be caring for it by Christmas

:(
    Are social services involved in both of these situations?

yes, social services are involved, particularly as they applied for the court order to remove her first child (Charlie) from her and place him with my mum and i. I just can't fathom the idea of caring for another baby right now.
    I don't blame you - especially when it's not your choice or your child :/ If you do opt to take it on, what kind of supports are there?