Clean eating here I come.....

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Peloton73 wrote: »
    Oh c'mon....you guys have over 1,000 posts on this site. I'm generalizing, although someone in a private group did make the same claim. I know you have seen posts about people bragging how they just had a Big Mac and still met their calories.

in 20,000 posts i have yet to see the person saying they ate a diet of 100% big macs and lose weight…

I believe you are confusing people saying that they include big macs, oreos, etc in their overall diet and still lose weight, big difference.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You know what would be a better response to the op?

"OP- I'm not sure if you're aware of this but "clean eating" can mean different things to different people. Can you clarify what you mean or give an example? Thanks! ;thumbsup"

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You know what would be a better response to the op?

"OP- I'm not sure if you're aware of this but "clean eating" can mean different things to different people. Can you clarify what you mean or give an example? Thanks! ;thumbsup"

maybe you should read all six pages, as that was done on pages one through five.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Oh c'mon....you guys have over 1,000 posts on this site. I'm generalizing, although someone in a private group did make the same claim. I know you have seen posts about people bragging how they just had a Big Mac and still met their calories.

After years of thinking that I had to eat "perfectly" to lose weight, it was relevatory for me to come to this site and see all the personal experiences about how calorie counting works and I could have whatever I wanted as long as I planned for it. What you see as "bragging" was actually incredibly helpful for me. I've lost twenty-five pounds and it's been the easiest (in terms of simplicity -- not saying there weren't hard days!) and least angsty weight loss experience I've ever had. And eliminating the "bad foods" concept has kept me from feeling my restricted eating kick-up, something that was always a struggle for me before when I was losing weight.

I've gone over three months on this weight loss attempt without a single binge, something that has never happened to me in twenty years.

There may be a couple of bad egg posts that I haven't seen, but no. I don't see the people talking about how they can balance their diet through moderation as bragging. They're sharing information that has been very valuable to me, information that I needed to hear and has helped me significantly.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm probably the Big Mac bragger they're talking about, because I have mentioned (a long time ago) that I lost 55 pounds while still eating foods I like, including Big Macs. Does that mean they were ALL I ate? Hell no, that's ludicrous.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

You're missing the point.

People may say they just had a Big Mac and met their calories and are still going to lose weight. that's true, people say that all the time. These same people often eat a primarily nutrient dense diet overall and still manage to fit in fast food, or ice cream, or even Twinkies in moderation.

That's different than the straw man argument of: people claim they ONLY eat Big Macs or Twinkies and recommend that others do the same.

see the difference? Scenario 1 happens all the time. Scenario 2 is what the clean eaters misinterpret the statement to be.

• Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

in 20,000 posts i have yet to see the person saying they ate a diet of 100% big macs and lose weight…

I believe you are confusing people saying that they include big macs, oreos, etc in their overall diet and still lose weight, big difference.

No...I believe you thought I said I saw someone say they lost weight eating only Big Macs. I never said that. I'm fully aware that people can choose to eat what they want, fit it within their dietary and caloric goals and lose/ maintain weight. Heck, I'm not even defending clean eating. I'm merely pointing out how the thread derails with smug replies.

The general observation I am making is in these clean eating threads, which...since you have over 20K posts....you know are pretty common around here, usually by the end of the first page there are references to how someone lost 40lbs while still eating Big Macs in their diet. You and I both know those types of replies happen.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

After years of thinking that I had to eat "perfectly" to lose weight, it was relevatory for me to come to this site and see all the personal experiences about how calorie counting works and I could have whatever I wanted as long as I planned for it. What you see as "bragging" was actually incredibly helpful for me. I've lost twenty-five pounds and it's been the easiest (in terms of simplicity -- not saying there weren't hard days!) and least angsty weight loss experience I've ever had. And eliminating the "bad foods" concept has kept me from feeling my restricted eating kick-up, something that was always a struggle for me before when I was losing weight.

I've gone over three months on this weight loss attempt without a single binge, something that has never happened to me in twenty years.

There may be a couple of bad egg posts that I haven't seen, but no. I don't see the people talking about how they can balance their diet through moderation as bragging. They're sharing information that has been very valuable to me, information that I needed to hear and has helped me significantly.

Oh God, this! <3:)

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Clean Eating to me is just eating without processed foods in cans or boxes. Bacon is definatly on the list, as I had 2 pieces in a breakfast burrito yesterday. That video of flipping bacon is hypnotic........
    Summertime is the best time to start Clean eating, with all the farmers markets etc. "blink"...."flip"....
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How do you know when someone lost 40lbs while still eating McDonalds?

Don't worry, they'll tell you. ;)

I cringe when I see posts about clean eating. No, not because the OP may be misinformed, but because of all the smug and elitist replies of "Gee, I lost 40lbs eating Big Macs and I didn't eat clean".

When I see someone say they are eating clean, it tells me they are making a conscious effort to eliminate processed foods. Yes, everyone has a different definition but c'mon folks, we all know what the basic premise is. Arguing this while throwing in a posters face how you lose weight eating Oreos, chicken nuggets and corn dogs says more about you wanting to be noticed than it does about informing the poster.

I cringe when I see clean eating posts because there is no definition and no basic premise

People who eat everything in moderation are not smug and elitist ...they are just at the point where they have found what works for them ...a life without undue deprivation

And it's a great message to spread to those still caught up in good food / bad food rubbish
  • bronkeekong
    bronkeekong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bacon is not clean eating. Sorry.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I agree @rabbitjb . I find it liberating to eat food that makes me energetic, ie; some fresh spinach with some wild rice, a bit of chicken, with some homemade dressing I just created, some great yogurt and a handful of raspberries....then eat some burger that will just sit in my body doing really nothing but giving me grief.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    I agree @rabbitjb . I find it liberating to eat food that makes me energetic, ie; some fresh spinach with some wild rice, a bit of chicken, with some homemade dressing I just created, some great yogurt and a handful of raspberries....then eat some burger that will just sit in my body doing really nothing but giving me grief.

Then you are eating the wrong kinds of burgers...
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The general observation I am making is in these clean eating threads, which...since you have over 20K posts....you know are pretty common around here, usually by the end of the first page there are references to how someone lost 40lbs while still eating Big Macs in their diet. You and I both know those types of replies happen.

So?

What's wrong with someone saying that they lost weight by incorporating their favorite foods (even foods that are considered "bad" or "unhealthy") into their diet?

I am fairly new here. I have never seen those posts as "bragging" or "condescending". I applaud those who don't demonize food and who advocate moderation. That is what I strive for myself in my diet.

Rather, I bristle at posts where people are deliberately obtuse. If someone has to twist a person's words (i.e., "I still eat Twinkies" becomes "I eat nothing but Twinkies 24/7") to make their point, then they must not have much of an argument to begin with.

• WinoGelato
    Options

So?

What's wrong with someone saying that they lost weight by incorporating their favorite foods (even foods that are considered "bad" or "unhealthy") into their diet?

I am fairly new here. I have never seen those posts as "bragging" or "condescending". I applaud those who don't demonize food and who advocate moderation. That is what I strive for myself in my diet.

Rather, I bristle at posts where people are deliberately obtuse. If someone has to twist a person's words (i.e., "I still eat Twinkies" becomes "I eat nothing but Twinkies 24/7") to make their point, then they must not have much of an argument to begin with.

You. I like you.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

So?

Yes.

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

So?

I'm in love with this reply.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »

Then you are eating the wrong kinds of burgers...

Agreed. Man I feel great after a good burger. Like I could conquer the world and dead lift all the weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My prized possessions? A Women's Day Encylopedia of Cookery from 1965. Twelve volumes of ... I can't begin to describe it. It has so many of those gawd-awful 1950's and early '60's recipes in it. It was given to me by a man my mother dated. It had belonged to his ex, she left it behind when she moved out.

The other is a home ec book that my grandmother had in high school back in the late 1930's, early 1940's (too lazy to get up now and check the publishing date). It has recipes and "homemaking" instruction.

I LOVE these kinds of cookbooks too. I also have a whole lot of replicas or collections based on older ones, as well as a huge variety of contemporary ones with many different themes.

All involve whole food ingredients, of course.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    blamundson wrote: »
    I agree with everyone's love of cookbooks. I have hundreds, plus numerous nutrition text books and research journals remaining from school that are now available online. There's so much information out there however, that it can be overwhelming to someone looking for new changes. Often a smaller magazine is a good way to start and expand from there. Figure out what's right for you and no one else! Good luck!

I don't really think a magazine is a good way to start. I'd recommend a website with a decent selection of recipes (I like to recommend epicurious and 101cookbooks, but there are tons), or--ideally--a good started cookbook. My favorite for that purpose is Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything, and I also like vegetable-themed cookbooks for those relatively new to cooking/eating veggies--two good options are the classic Greene on Greens and Barbara Kafka's Vegetable Love, but again there are tons. Seasonal or farmer's market themed cookbooks are also good and often fun because they focus on what's likely to be available/fresh at a particular time of year, but are generally less comprehensive and sometimes more likely to presume some cooking experience.

(I forget who we are actually making recommendations to and if she's said what her cooking background is. OP?)