Do you post "gym selfies?"

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    So, no?
  • nick40vmi
    nick40vmi Posts: 70 Member
    It is funny to see people posting gym selfies. It's as if the self-gratification of their work and progress isn't enough that they have to post it on social media to receive gratification from others. Somewhat petty.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Methinks someone is bored.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    edited June 2015
    nick40ghs wrote: »
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    It's obvious if the original post upsets you or makes you feel like you are being described in the study, than it probably means you are narcissistic and rely on the approval of others.

Do you even understand the definition of narcissistic?

Sure, but enlighten me if you're going to ask.

I know what it means, I just want to see if you know what it means! [/1st grade]
  • nick40vmi
    It's obvious if the original post upsets you or makes you feel like you are being described in the study, than it probably means you are narcissistic and rely on the approval of others.

Do you even understand the definition of narcissistic?

Sure, but enlighten me if you're going to ask.

I know what it means, I just want to see if you know what it means! [/1st grade]

I know, I have to result to grade school speak to allow people a chance to quit wasting time.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    lol I'm confused as to the point of this thread

but I guess it's the internet so yolo
  • FitForL1fe
    aq9mOBw.gif
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    I don't take gym selfies. I do take sweaty, red faced end-of-race selfies, with my medal on, looking happy as a pig in *kitten*. I guess you could see it as narcissistic, but I like sharing fun things like that. I am proud of myself, but I'd be proud of myself just the same if it got no likes. If it pisses people off, they can just unfollow me.

I quite like pointless social media updates. I'm genuinely quite interested in seeing the massive sandwich someone had for lunch, or the sand-mermaid they made out of their sleeping friend on the beach. So gym selfies are fine by me.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited June 2015
    draznyth wrote: »
    lol I'm confused as to the point of this thread

but I guess it's the internet so yolo

It's a flame-bait/troll thread. That wasn't obvious from page 1? Frankly, I'm pretty shocked it hasn't been nuked yet.

I think it's time for more gifs/pics.

Gym-Selfie.jpg
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I made the mistake of posting a pic on FB that revealed abs. I was in a bathing suit and was fishing with my girls. We caught an amazing bass.

I received a private message from a "friend" telling me to cover up, that the person was shocked that I was so obviously calling attention to myself, and they thought I was a better person than that.

I save them for here now.

?!? I'd delete that friend!! Rock them abs girl!

Thank you. I did, but for other reasons. But I also learned quickly to filter what I post there.
    Fitness stuff is saved for my locked down wall here.

Select other stuff goes to facebook, ditto instagram because it's a blend of my two worlds.

Doesn't everyone have to filter? Fat people definitely do. Like I said, I can't post any shirtless pictures. Even if I was thin I'm not sure I could. Then the people who don't like hairy chests would flip out. Again, this is the real issue with the selfie/body photo/etc. The narrow definition of what people think is good looking enough to put into a photo. Unless we get rid of that mentality there will always be this kind of backlash in the opposite direction.

You could choose not to care, or you could dump people who respond like that.

My thoughts exactly. People know you can control who's on your facebook, right? I've unfriended people for telling me what I should/shouldn't put on my feed; I've unfriended people because I don't like what's on their feed. Is this not common?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    From https://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder involves arrogant behavior, a lack of empathy for other people, and a need for admiration-all of which must be consistently evident at work and in relationships. People who are narcissistic are frequently described as cocky, self-centered, manipulative, and demanding. Narcissists may concentrate on unlikely personal outcomes (e.g., fame) and may be convinced that they deserve special treatment. Related Personality Disorders: Antisocial, Borderline, Histrionic. Narcissism is a less extreme version of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Narcissism involves cockiness, manipulativeness, selfishness, power motives, and vanity-a love of mirrors. Related personality traits include: Psychopathy, Machiavellianism.

Four dimensions of narcissism as a personality variable have been delineated: leadership/authority, superiority/arrogance, self-absorption/self-admiration, and exploitativeness/entitlement.[6]

A 2012 book on power-hungry narcissists suggests that narcissists typically display most, and sometimes all, of the following traits:[7]

An obvious self-focus in interpersonal exchanges
    Problems in sustaining satisfying relationships
    A lack of psychological awareness (see insight in psychology and psychiatry, egosyntonic)
    Difficulty with empathy
    Problems distinguishing the self from others (see narcissism and boundaries)
    Hypersensitivity to any insults or imagined insults (see criticism and narcissists, narcissistic rage and narcissistic injury)
    Vulnerability to shame rather than guilt
    Haughty body language
    Flattery towards people who admire and affirm them (narcissistic supply)
    Detesting those who do not admire them (narcissistic abuse)
    Using other people without considering the cost of doing so
    Pretending to be more important than they really are
    Bragging (subtly but persistently) and exaggerating their achievements
    Claiming to be an "expert" at many things
    Inability to view the world from the perspective of other people
    Denial of remorse and gratitude

posting a gym selfie =/= narcissist.
    though it is possible that a narcissist may post a gym selfie

that said... a narcissist may also create a thread whereby they take every opportunity to attempt to showcase their "advanced" level of understanding, where they speak down to others, thereby raising themselves up in the process; and where they feign that all of the above is taking place, claiming that they're just trying to have a profound dialogue and/or "enlighten" the masses.
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    I don't post gym selfies. I would feel super weird taking a selfie...and taking a selfie in the gym. Selfies aren't for me.
  • FitForL1fe
    I'm bored, someone post more gifs or jpgs
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    kung-fu-china-kid-flexing-muscles-showing-off-13826575819.gif?id=671
  • FitForL1fe
    kung-fu-china-kid-flexing-muscles-showing-off-13826575819.gif?id=671

lmao :joy:
  • FitForL1fe
    It is funny to see people posting gym selfies. It's as if the self-gratification of their work and progress isn't enough that they have to post it on social media to receive gratification from others. Somewhat petty.

Wow. This is the opinion of the OP. Never would have guessed it.

OP doesn't lift

sadface.jpg
  • nick40vmi

OP doesn't lift

sadface.jpg

OP doesn't lift, that is right. Huh, such a profound thought.
  • FitForL1fe

OP doesn't lift

sadface.jpg

OP doesn't lift, that is right. Huh, such a profound thought.

stick around bro I'm brimming with profundity na mean
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    I loathe gym-selfie takers. So vain, so annoying when they take up space that could be better used by those of us who are, you know, actually working out.

At my gym, the people taking the selfies:
    a. are not regulars
    b. do not lift much in terms of weight

It's sad, really.