Ayurvedic nutrition for weight loss (and general sanity)

Options
1202122232426»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Great article. And see, even doctors describe the body as being out of homeostasis, harmony, balance, equilibrium, etc...all the time!
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ams2.17/abstract
    Can you find me a reputable peer reviewed article in a high impact journal using harmony to describe bodily processes?
    Harmony is a human concept, not one nature looks for. I believe I recall even seeing biologist want to move away from homeostasis being used so much because it gives lay people the idea things get to a static equilibrium that they stay at.

if you look at author info it says harvard medical school? sounds reputable.

Stephanie Seneff is an MIT researcher who publishes tripe that GMOs are going to leave everyone autistic by the end if the century. Harvard credentials don't make me assume reputable.

I'm not sure what she has to do with anything.

Based on the response I'm getting from y'all, it does seem like anything I say will be discredited. I am not a doctor but I'm curious if any of you work in the medical profession?

My point is you can have a degree poor even work for a prestigious institute and still be a complete fraud. Him being a Harvard MD doesn't make me assume his research is legit.

I get your point. Based on this reasoning, anyone can be discredited. Therefore anything I say you can point out a fallacy. It's frustrating.

And you did not answer my question about being involved in the medical profession. I'd also be quite curious to know about your eating and health habits.
    I didn't discredit him, I just don't assume he's credible coming out of Harvard.
    I'm by no means a medical or dietary professional. I am a skeptic that follows evidence based claims, and reads the primary sources for claims when available.

What you are saying now makes sense, but that isn't what you said before. I don't assume credibility out of Harvard either, but I thought it would fall under y'alls definitions of credible based on previous posts.
    I said I don't assume the Harvard person is credible because they're Harvard. I weight evidence and methods, not authority.
    I did joke about university of Michigan being right by being university of Michigan, but that was a joke.

that makes sense for you, but I'm sure you can see that where I am coming from, it makes sense that I might pay more attention to a study co-authored by a Harvard physician than an anonymous MFP poster trained in computer science. Albeit one who reads medical studies.

It might make more sense to pay attention to logic and reasoning than to the false authority of an institution, though.

The main point that's gotten lost? The use of harmony in the title of that article in no way supports the way it's used in the context of ayurveda in relation to the body, and the OP's claim that it's used by doctor's "all the time" was not supported by a search of Google Scholar.

Well as is made clear by this thread, one person's logic and reasoning can be quite different than another's, and I don't follow y'alls logic most of the time. I also am not following your "use of harmony" point at all? I'm also gonna take a break from this, gotta get some work done.

The OP used the article to prove a point that doctors in current medicine make use of the concept of harmony in the same way that ayurveda does.

I don't think she read the full article, because the text never once mentions the word harmony, and the context of its usage in the title is not the same as its use in ayurveda.

In other words, the article didn't prove what the OP thought it proved.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    My diary should also be open but it looks silly. 5 cups of frozen vegetables and a load of chicken breasts most weekdays, followed by eating like an 8 year old on weekends.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    My diary should also be open but it looks silly. 5 cups of frozen vegetables and a load of chicken breasts most weekdays, followed by eating like an 8 year old on weekends.

That was pretty funny :).
  • margaretlb4
    margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

ha! :smiley:

• margaretlb4
    Options
    I noticed that this went down from 506 to 476 posts...???
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Likely some posts that violated the community terms got deleted.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MFP can't handle the truth!
    QUICK EVERYONE POST IN ANGRY CAPITAL LETTERS BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.
  • margaretlb4
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

Is there a way to tell if your posts have been deleted?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

Is there a way to tell if your posts have been deleted?

I have no idea. Sorry I'm not more helpful!