Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    festerw wrote: »
    I may have convinced my brother to take his Taco someplace I pretty much knew he'd get stuck just so I could use the Jeep to pull him out.
    IMAG0858_zps4bep4epa.jpg

I also had a burger, slice of pizza and my last 2 Oreo pop tarts for lunch. Plus my leg hurts so I'm not even exercising today.

What is a taco?!?! Other than delicious Mexican food, which I can only assume is not what you're referring to in this particular context.

Toyota Tacoma and now I want the Mexican food version lol.

Sigh. I may make the best chile rellenos in the world (no sense in false modesty =P) but there's no way I am touching that recipe until I am deeply entrenched in maintenance eating. I sure love that stuff, though.

Teach me your ways! When I lived in Tucson I got decent at cooking a variety of Mexican foods, but rellenos avoided me.

Edit: Spelling is hard.

Glad to oblige - I love sharing recipes! The most common missteps I see with rellenos are using a flour-based batter and using (oh please god don't do this) enchilada sauce instead of salsa.

Anyway, here is a good traditional recipe, and I apologize to others on this thread that it is so long:
    Chile Rellenos
    Ingredients
    3 C. high-quality roasted-tomato salsa (translation: Don't go buy the stuff in jars at the grocery). Some people prefer a Salsa Verde, which can be lovely as well. Either way, I prefer to make my own. Let me know if you want a recipe - it's easy to make! These days, many stores carry pretty good fresh salsas.
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp. kosher salt (measured) plus additional to taste
    4 whole medium-sized Poblano or Anaheim chiles (about 1 lb.)
    Note: Anaheim chiles are slightly milder than Poblano. I prefer Poblano because they are wider and easier to work with, plus I find their flavor a bit richer. They are only a little hotter than Anaheims.
    3 C. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    1 C. vegetable oil of your choice
    4 large eggs, separated and at room temperature. Note: Separate the eggs when they're cold, then bring them to room temp. Make SURE there is no yolk mixed in with the egg whites or they won't froth up properly.

Directions
    Warm the salsa in a small saucepan and hold it at that temp while you work on the chiles.
    Heat the oven to 250.
    Put a wire cooling rack on a baking sheet and set aside.

Make a "T" shaped cut in each chile, with the top bar being about half an inch from the stem and the long cut running nearly the whole length of the chile. Don't cut off the stem end completely - you need the chile to be a little container :)

Carefully open the flaps of the cut and use a paring knife and/or spoon to gently remove the core, ribs, and seeds.
    If you have a gas stove, turn a burner to medium-high and roast each chile by putting it directly on the burner and turning with tongs for 5-7 minutes or until the skin on all sides is blistered and has blackened spots. OR turn your broiler to high and put the chiles on a rack. Broil 8-9 minutes, turning with tongs, until skin on all sides is blistered/blackened. Chiles broiled this way will be a tad softer, so be careful when working with them.

Remove the chiles to a large bowl, cover tightly, and let sit until they are cool enough to handle (they will continue to steam, which makes the skins easier to remove). Then use a butter knife to GENTLY scrape away and discard the skins.

Yes, I know this is more of a hassle than just buying canned chiles, but roasting the fresh chiles like this is one of the keys to making the dish really amazing (the others are good salsa and the correct batter).

Season the chiles inside and out with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Stuff each with a generous 2/3 C. of the shredded Monterey Jack cheese, then close flaps and set aside.

Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl until light in color and frothy (about 2 minutes).

Add 1/2 tsp. salt to the egg whites and use a mixer to beat until stiff peaks form (about 1.5 minutes)

Add the egg yolks to the whites and gently fold them in with a spatula until they are just barely combined. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until it's quite hot - about 4 minutes.

Work with one chile at a time. Drop 1/2 C. of the egg batter into the oil and use a spatula to spread it out to about the same size as the chile. Lay the chile cut-side down on top of the batter. Drop another 1/2 C. of batter on top and use a spatula to spread it evenly around the rest of the chile, covering all but the stem.

Cook until the bottom is golden-brown (2-3 minutes). Then use a spatula + a fork to carefully turn the relleno over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. If you need to, use a spatula or tongs to stand it on each side to brown. Place the relleno on the rack that's on the baking sheet, and put into the oven to keep warm. Do the same with the remaining chiles as you finish them.

To serve, put 1/3 C. of the warmed roasted tomato salsa on a plate and top with a chile relleno. Serve additional salsa on the side. If you don't like salsa (sacrilege!) you could serve them over fire-roasted tomatoes.

Thank you so much! I'd love your salsa recipe, too if you want to share. I've used my own fresh roasted I think I've been messing up the batter- I've tried a bunch of different flour\egg wash\corn meal things with no success.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    I may have convinced my brother to take his Taco someplace I pretty much knew he'd get stuck just so I could use the Jeep to pull him out.
    IMAG0858_zps4bep4epa.jpg

I also had a burger, slice of pizza and my last 2 Oreo pop tarts for lunch. Plus my leg hurts so I'm not even exercising today.

What is a taco?!?! Other than delicious Mexican food, which I can only assume is not what you're referring to in this particular context.

Toyota Tacoma and now I want the Mexican food version lol.

Sigh. I may make the best chile rellenos in the world (no sense in false modesty =P) but there's no way I am touching that recipe until I am deeply entrenched in maintenance eating. I sure love that stuff, though.

Teach me your ways! When I lived in Tucson I got decent at cooking a variety of Mexican foods, but rellenos avoided me.

Edit: Spelling is hard.

Glad to oblige - I love sharing recipes! The most common missteps I see with rellenos are using a flour-based batter and using (oh please god don't do this) enchilada sauce instead of salsa.

Anyway, here is a good traditional recipe, and I apologize to others on this thread that it is so long:
    Chile Rellenos
    Ingredients
    3 C. high-quality roasted-tomato salsa (translation: Don't go buy the stuff in jars at the grocery). Some people prefer a Salsa Verde, which can be lovely as well. Either way, I prefer to make my own. Let me know if you want a recipe - it's easy to make! These days, many stores carry pretty good fresh salsas.
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp. kosher salt (measured) plus additional to taste
    4 whole medium-sized Poblano or Anaheim chiles (about 1 lb.)
    Note: Anaheim chiles are slightly milder than Poblano. I prefer Poblano because they are wider and easier to work with, plus I find their flavor a bit richer. They are only a little hotter than Anaheims.
    3 C. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    1 C. vegetable oil of your choice
    4 large eggs, separated and at room temperature. Note: Separate the eggs when they're cold, then bring them to room temp. Make SURE there is no yolk mixed in with the egg whites or they won't froth up properly.

Directions
    Warm the salsa in a small saucepan and hold it at that temp while you work on the chiles.
    Heat the oven to 250.
    Put a wire cooling rack on a baking sheet and set aside.

Make a "T" shaped cut in each chile, with the top bar being about half an inch from the stem and the long cut running nearly the whole length of the chile. Don't cut off the stem end completely - you need the chile to be a little container :)

Carefully open the flaps of the cut and use a paring knife and/or spoon to gently remove the core, ribs, and seeds.
    If you have a gas stove, turn a burner to medium-high and roast each chile by putting it directly on the burner and turning with tongs for 5-7 minutes or until the skin on all sides is blistered and has blackened spots. OR turn your broiler to high and put the chiles on a rack. Broil 8-9 minutes, turning with tongs, until skin on all sides is blistered/blackened. Chiles broiled this way will be a tad softer, so be careful when working with them.

Remove the chiles to a large bowl, cover tightly, and let sit until they are cool enough to handle (they will continue to steam, which makes the skins easier to remove). Then use a butter knife to GENTLY scrape away and discard the skins.

Yes, I know this is more of a hassle than just buying canned chiles, but roasting the fresh chiles like this is one of the keys to making the dish really amazing (the others are good salsa and the correct batter).

Season the chiles inside and out with salt and black pepper. Stuff each with a generous 2/3 C. of the shredded Monterey Jack cheese, then close flaps (you can use a wooden skewer if you like) and set aside.

Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl until light in color and frothy (about 2 minutes).

Add 1/2 tsp. salt to the egg whites and use a mixer to beat until stiff peaks form (about 1.5 minutes)

Add the egg yolks to the whites and gently fold them in with a spatula until they are just barely combined. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until it's quite hot - about 4 minutes.

Work with one chile at a time. Drop 1/2 C. of the egg batter into the oil and use a spatula to spread it out to about the same size as the chile. Lay the chile cut-side down on top of the batter. Drop another 1/2 C. of batter on top and use a spatula to spread it evenly around the rest of the chile, covering all but the stem.

Cook until the bottom is golden-brown (2-3 minutes). Then use a spatula + a fork to carefully turn the relleno over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. If you need to, use a spatula or tongs to stand it on each side to brown. Place the relleno on the rack that's on the baking sheet, and put into the oven to keep warm. Do the same with the remaining chiles as you finish them.

To serve, put 1/3 C. of the warmed roasted tomato salsa on a plate and top with a chile relleno. Serve additional salsa on the side. If you don't like salsa (sacrilege!) you could serve them over fire-roasted tomatoes.

Yum!!!!!!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Really proud of my dad today, he's riding in The Tour de Cure in Cincinnati for my brother who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last December at the age of 20. My dad loves to cycle but he hasn't done 100 miles in a long time! I hope to be able to join him next year!

Congratulations! That is wonderful for him and you can totally do it! Just make sure to get the Hoo Ha cream!

Haha oh most definitely! I don't know how men and women bike that long :D
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Rabbit914 wrote: »
    Also my MFP was not working yesterday. I was able to read everyone's posts but couldn't quote or even reply at all. Got back on this morning and I was 15 pages behind. I'm still behind but getting there.

Confession: I miss living in Japan. The culture there is so wonderful. And the people are so much more thoughtful and lovely compared to Americans. I am an American, but other Americans disappoint me a great deal. I don't mean to offend anyone. We could learn so much from other cultures. Where we lived there was ZERO crime. You could sleep with your windows and doors wide open, leave your car unlocked. The mailman would actually come into your house and set your mail inside your house. I could go on and on, but that's just one small example.

Could not agree more.

Me too. I remember watching some docs about prisons over seas and the violence and crap from inmates was nearly non existent because they are actually treated properly. Some of the prisons had swimming pools and all kinds of crap to keep the inmates healthy. Some allow them to house with family members and friends etc. And most had menus and food of that of a five star hotel. I was amazed and thought it was brilliant.

Just wondering? Was it for all inmates or the ones who did petty crimes?

I know you like the ID channel & for all of those who watch it too they're having a special about Ted Bundy on Sunday. I will probably watch it since I have never watched anything based on him before.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/31107096/ns/dateline_nbc-crime_reports/t/where-theres-smoke/#.VXrLAEZySig

This is one of the cases that stuck with me for a long time. It almost seemed like something out of a movie. I couldn't believe the wife wasn't arrested too.

I do believe it was all inmates.....one thing I forgot that is a big one too is that guards are expected to treat the inmates with the utmost respect....and amazingly (sarcastic), the inmates treated the guards the same way.

Treat people like animals, and they will behave as such.....

I was a corrections officer at an all male prison in Virginia for a year and a half before I moved back here to Ohio. I will say I always treated the offenders like the human beings they are and was treated a lot differently then some of the other staff who treated these men like they were dogs. I understand the majority of the men who were incarcerated and I was around all the time committed some incredibly heinous and horrible crimes but I always kept in mind that they've already been judged and now they're serving their sentence it's not my job to judge them. On the flip side I always kept in the back of my mind the horrible crimes they did commit so I didn't get too close to any of them. You'd be surprised how much manipulation can be worked and how smart a lot of those criminals really are!

I am rally surprised by this. You mentioned it once before. How did you end up in that job? I would be terrified.

I majored in criminal justice and psychology in college and have always wanted to work with offenders. At the prison I wanted to be a casework counselor for the offenders but the prison only hires from within so I became an officer instead! I had an interview to be a counselor when I found out my fiancé cheated. No point of staying in VA when my whole family was in OH.

I really admire you. That is really cool (not the fiance -- no idea how to add the accent) but on your career choice. Are you pursuing that in OH now?

Right now I'm working in child support enforcement so it's still case management. I keep an open eye out for the type of job I'd like but haven't seen any postings yet! My life is so up in the air right now anyhow with the small possibility of moving to the UK at some point in the future it's so hard to think long term right now. In true alcoholic form- I take things one day at a time :)
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    Has anyone seen or heard from @Kylerjaye lately? Hey girl if you see this just want to know how you're doing! <3
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sometimes a song comes into my head out of nowhere... I just think about it randomly. Then later in the day I'll hear it coming out a radio or something. Yesterday I was whistling Frank Sinatra's Under my Skin just before my boyfriend and I went to the movie theater to see Sony's E3 press conference (video game geeks here). Lo and behold, one of the final trailers of the night (Batman Arkham Knight) was playing Under my Skin. I was kind of taken aback, as the song was still stuck in my head at that point and it's weird to hear it ACTUALLY START PLAYING. Especially that song, which I never hear unless I look for it.

EDIT: Sorry to all of you whistle haters :lol:
    EDIT2: Since I've seen the trailer I have watched it about fifty times on YouTube and listened to the full song a few times as well. :neutral: The blasted song won't get out of my head.
    ... EDIT3: Batman's Joker is one of the most interesting villains in anything ever, in my opinion.
  • gadgetsalwaysfit
    gadgetsalwaysfit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Last night for dessert I had a Little Debbie Cosmo Brownie AND a Klondike Bar. I love, love, love chocolate and I have a small piece every single day but last night, I just had to have more. So I did.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Wonderful. Nothing like justifying the over-inflated cost of something low cal by having to force it down due to an awful taste. Glad I didn't buy 2. (Thanks for the warning)

Yeah. I actually wasn't going to say anything since you hadn't tasted it yet and maybe you will enjoy it, but I have not had a single good experience with Arctic Zero products. But then, I also don't like the Halo Top stuff that several posters here really enjoy, so...it's good that you are at least trying it. Maybe it'll be a good purchase!

I usually prefer to just budget calories for real ice cream and gelato.

The only 'diet' ice cream I've ever found that I genuinely like is the Skinny Cow line of products. My favorites are the salted caramel pretzel ice cream bars (160 cals, 9g fat); snickerdoodle ice cream sandwiches (120 cals, 2 g fat); chocolate peanut butter ice cream sandwiches (150 cals, 5g fat); chocolate truffle fudge bars (100 cals, 2.5g fat), and the chocolate mousse ganache sugar cone (160 cals, 4.5g fat).

The salt in the wound to this is I DO have the cals for something real. I was going out on a limb for a guilt free treat. I have never tried gelato. How is it?

Like ice cream, it depends on the quality. I think Talenti gelato is amazing stuff. I like it as much as Ben & Jerry's ice cream, but it typically has at least 50 calories less per serving, and a LOT less fat:
    http://www.talentigelato.com/our-products/

Confession... Since I heard the vegan police on 'Scott Pilgrim vs the World' say 'it's milk and eggs, b!tch' I've always had this idea of yuck in my head so I haven't tried it. HAHAHA
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    So I thought maybe we could all use this to get something off of our chests. Confess to anything pertaining to your weight loss journey, it may even be a helpful tip for others! :)'

Please please PLEASEEEE refrain from being mean. :)

I ate a quarter of a watermelon ... that was about 12-inch in diameter... with a couple of slices of Arnold Whole Wheat bread n butter as a snack tonight. Don't know how many cups or ounces that was of the watermelon ... but I cut the thing into 1 -1/2 inch squares right down and figure the 4 center ones were about 1 cup each ... so I ate between 6-8 cups of that wonderful red juicy delicacy that I indulge in once each summer. There is all the left-over watermelon to enjoy as the week goes on, but none of it will taste as good as that first quarter.

• m1xm0d3
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Wonderful. Nothing like justifying the over-inflated cost of something low cal by having to force it down due to an awful taste. Glad I didn't buy 2. (Thanks for the warning)

Yeah. I actually wasn't going to say anything since you hadn't tasted it yet and maybe you will enjoy it, but I have not had a single good experience with Arctic Zero products. But then, I also don't like the Halo Top stuff that several posters here really enjoy, so...it's good that you are at least trying it. Maybe it'll be a good purchase!

The only 'diet' ice cream I've ever found that I genuinely like is the Skinny Cow line of products. My favorites are the salted caramel pretzel ice cream bars (160 cals, 9g fat); snickerdoodle ice cream sandwiches (120 cals, 2 g fat); chocolate peanut butter ice cream sandwiches (150 cals, 5g fat); chocolate truffle fudge bars (100 cals, 2.5g fat), and the chocolate mousse ganache sugar cone (160 cals, 4.5g fat).

The salt in the wound to this is I DO have the cals for something real. I was going out on a limb for a guilt free treat. I have never tried gelato. How is it?

Heaven on a spoon.

And even though I see it in the freezer at the store, I thought it would be gross. Now I am tempted.

I just tried this Arctic Zero crap. Orange Cream flavor and while it's not terrible, it's very bland. I ate about 1/3 pint and put it back in the freezer. Boooo
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Really proud of my dad today, he's riding in The Tour de Cure in Cincinnati for my brother who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last December at the age of 20. My dad loves to cycle but he hasn't done 100 miles in a long time! I hope to be able to join him next year!

That's great! As an avid cyclist myself, I encourage you to do it. I am sure your brother will appreciate your dads commitment and effort.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options

Congratulations! That is wonderful for him and you can totally do it! Just make sure to get the Hoo Ha cream!

Haha oh most definitely! I don't know how men and women bike that long :D

I have done a couple Ironmans and several 100+ training rides. Not being a cyclist at heart it's hard. But doable!
  • m1xm0d3
    Options

Like ice cream, it depends on the quality. I think Talenti gelato is amazing stuff. I like it as much as Ben & Jerry's ice cream, but it typically has at least 50 calories less per serving, and a LOT less fat:
    http://www.talentigelato.com/our-products/

Confession... Since I heard the vegan police on 'Scott Pilgrim vs the World' say 'it's milk and eggs, b!tch' I've always had this idea of yuck in my head so I haven't tried it. HAHAHA

lol! Well, if you can bring yourself to "knowingly ingest gelato", I can assure you it is totally worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALK5Pku5jc8

HAHAHA! You're quickly becoming a confessional fav of mine. ;)
  • Oberon21
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »

When I go to the gym I never wear underwear. A LONG time ago I basically totally exposed myself to a trainer wearing looser shorts when he was holding my ankles and I was doing sit ups. I know he saw EVERYTHING. But we just pretended nothing was going on (both too embarrassed I think...and its funny that Bare A**ed is part of that word) so to this day, when I go to a dressing room and try on looser shorts that don't have a built in panty I do the 'stress test'... basically stand with my butt to the mirror and contort myself in every way possible.

Very funny. I've exposed myself inadvertently several times. In my early 20's I used to not wear underwear with nylons (now I don't wear nylons). I walked out to greet a client (entertainment/movie studio industry) in a little dress and the wind whipped the dress up well above my waist. Yup, said client got an eyeful. Hopefully he was bleary-eyed from flying in from Europe that day but I doubt it. Neither one of us mentioned it. I straightened my dress, held out my hand to shake hands and drove him to a meeting with my then boss.

Oh boy. I wear thong underwear but after a couple of close calls with looser short skirts I bought some boy shorts underwear to wear with those skirts...just in case!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Today has been a craptastic food day. Fruity pebbles for breakfast, grilled cheese and chips (there were some grapes and cucumber too), and tonight is grilled bbq pork chops, mashed potatoes and green beans, and there may or may not be 2 servings of Oreo ice cream for dessert. I'm going to have to hit the gym this week for sure.

Sounds like a fun day too me:D. Hey you got some fruits & veggies too, so a win-win-win. Are you eating the Breyers Oreo ice cream? *DROOLS*.

Tonight I had Angel Hair pasta & some Parmesan on top & for dessert a Chocolate rice cake with Jif's Hazelnut Cookies & Cream.

Impulsive Buy said they have new Fiber Cheesecake bars. Anyone try them yet?

http://www.theimpulsivebuy.com/wordpress/2015/06/15/spotted-on-shelves-fiber-one-cheesecake-bar-strawberry-and-salted-caramel/

Will have to look for these, Yoplait Root Beer Float Whips, & some kind of cereal with S'Mores flavor.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I can't handle glasses 24/7. I primarily wear contacts and then pop them out the minute I get home from work! B) I've been wearing contacts for 19 years so I can take them out put them in no problem.

This is me. I have worn contacts since I was like 14 or 16. They are the first thing that comes out when I get home. They don't bother me during the day, but the second I get home they MUST come out!

Haha I'm exactly that way too! During the day I don't even think about them but once home I'm not completely comfortable until I've taken my rinse off shower, put on my sweats, and taken out my contacts!
    Nobody's mentioned the need to remove their bra the minute they walk through the door, so I guess that's just me then..?

Nope. Definitely not just you!

If I didn't wear a DD, I would. As it is, if I go braless I risk a black eye when I go up the stairs.

I find the opposite, I am a H cup and cannot WAIT to get in the door and take it off because of the weight on my shoulders.....if I was smaller it would not bother me as much I don't think....

Wait...an H cup? I didn't know that size existed! Wow. Impressive. I would hate that. Between running and riding I have always been grateful I am small chested.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    I confess I now have 50% more stupid after venturing out to read a couple of other threads around here

Didja go to the "chew slow" thread? :D

:). I've been wondering why people don't lurk for awhile before starting a thread. If you spend any amount of time in the forums, you would know that was a train wreck waiting to happen.

I always laugh how people bump irrelevant threads that haven't been posted in for around 2-3 years & people post constructive criticism to the OP who more than likely isn't using the site anymore.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    My pics are really recent pics of me, I don't lie about what I log, I weight myself at the same time on the same day each week, I'm pretty healthy and fit.....oh wait, these are supposed to be confessions.

That's a very condescending statement. If you don't have anything to add to the thread, why don't you just move along? I don't find your attitude to be contributing anything positive here, and you're obviously too perfect to have anything to confess.

*High fives*