most insensitive gift ever...

Options

Replies

• HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, the memories . . . . a high school boyfriend thought this was clever.

A HUGE box for christmas, all wrapped up (must have taken at least three rolls of paper) put beside the tree in the beginning of December. A whole month of anticipation:

it contained a 3x5 card

which read

"No box can contain my love for you"

That's all I got that year.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    ooooooh I almost forgot! My husband got me book shelves as a wedding present, I was disappointed at first, kind of pissed, I got him engraved guitar picks with special sayings and dates from our relationship, which actually probobly cost less then the shelves, but really I realized, I was moving into his house, bringing very little beyond kitchen equiptment into it, and the shelves were my space to put all my stuff (he lived pretty sparse) since then we have done a fair amount of joint redecorating, but those shelves were the first thing that made me feel like the space was mine too.
    I asked him about it tho, and he just said "well you have a lot of books, you needed to put them somewhere"
  • DESIREE1210
    DESIREE1210 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Now if ya know me, I'm a jeans and Harley girl. My X gave me a blue sweater with a satin (yes Satin) big Bunny on it. OMG what the heck was he thinking. Yes, I did return it....LOL
  • windy1367
    windy1367 Posts: 14
    Options
    I love this thread, have laughed a lot!
    My ex father-in-law gave me a penis shaped cookie cutter for Christmas! While it was very creepy, it did come in handy for my sister's wedding shower! We used pink and blue icing....
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    my ex and i had been together for 3 years and he had never bought me anything until the christmas i was 6 months pregnant and he bought me size 3X sweat pants/shirt!!!!! i wasn't even close to that size (even tho i was pretty big) when the hell would i ever be able to wear them again?!?!?!
  • askme12
    askme12 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    "dingbat" That's Great, I haven't heard that in years! Thanks I needed that. :)
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My mother bought me a tee shirt that said Desperate Housewife. When I asked why, I'm not even married, she said to motivate me cuz I ain't gettin any younger. I threw it in her garbage can and left. Oh, it was Christmas and the whole family was there.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    One of my older sisters is a world class tight wad. Not when it comes to herself mind you, but when buying for others. She is the type to say, "I didn't buy you a present for (your birthday, mother's day, father's day, Christmas, etc) but I LOOOOOOOve youuuu." And she is also the type to remind you not to forget her daughter's birthday present, as it falls on Christmas Eve.

At the time I only had two children, and my eldest sister had 2 as well. My middle sister also had two nieces on her husband's side to buy for, so a total of 6 children. I don't know where she bought it, but it was of dollar store quality. It was a stuffed animal, 6 little Easter bunnies holding hands. What did she do with it? Cut the bunnies apart and gave one to each of her nieces and nephews. Apparently the love of my children is not worth an entire dollar store plush toy on their own, but ARE worth the 17 cent investment. Ironically, she's an elementary school teacher, so one would think she might have some kind of understanding/appreciation for other people's children.
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    My mother bought me a tee shirt that said Desperate Housewife. When I asked why, I'm not even married, she said to motivate me cuz I ain't gettin any younger. I threw it in her garbage can and left. Oh, it was Christmas and the whole family was there.

LOL! I would have done the same thing and made a huge production out of slamming the lid of the trash can! :laugh:
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    My MIL shops at blair.com and we have told her over and over again NOT to buy us anything for christmas but she ignores us. Last year I got a green sweater with a winter scene on it. Now I know she looked at their online catalog or the one in the mail and saw that and thought "wow i bet she will love that". I dont know what part of that sweater screams ME but apparently it does. My mom was there and knew I thought it was hideous and she says really loud "oh my thats real pretty! why dont you try it on!" Its green with evergreen trees and a man cutting down one of those trees and a little boy pulling a wagon and a dog. Im 36 years old and this sweater belongs on an elderly person.
  • iheartralphie
    iheartralphie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My current BF is Horrible at buying gifts. I got a dish drying rack for my bday, he did include a bottle of my fav kind of wine, but it was a lower priced one. I got him an electronic SkyCaddy for his a few months later. For Xmas I got him a new iPod sice he was saying he never had one and it would be nice to have one for when he runs. I got (a day AFTER xmas) a set of sheets (I just bought a set for myself) another bottle f the same kind of wine (ok I live a block from a wine store....; he got it there. probably on the way over) a calendar, and a mini electronic pump thingie b/c I had been having a slow leak in my car tire and always had to put air in. Thoughtful but REALLY??? I stated my unhappiness onNYE, after having a bottle of champagne, and him failing to make plans which I left up to him b/c I ALWAYS make the plans. For V Day, we stayed the weekend at my fav B and B/vineyard, I got roses, candy, a teddy bear, AND dinner. YES! He def wanted to make sure he got it right that time...hehe.

My ex fiance got me NOTHING for my bday the last yr we were together. HE went to a concert out of town w/his frieds. His bday is theday before mine, and I took him to a nice dinner at a place he had been wanting to go, and we stayed the night at a nice hotel (my treat). His defense : we already celebrated OUR bdays the night before!! And he was nemploye, just doing freelance web design, so he used being broke aws an excuse, but he bought the concert tix for himself! Plus he was a GRAPHIC DESIGNER...he could have made me a card nd I would have loved it! I told him that, and he sai well now you're being a ***** and i'm not getting you anything. Whatever. I went out with another guy while he was at his concert, and dumped him when he got home. ****.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    MIL gave me a cross pendant.... I'm Jewish.

This takes the cake, sorry.

My husband only buys me presents a 12 year old would love, but it's nothing compared to what I'm reading here.
  • xxbeckybexx
    Options
    I got a wok for valentines day from my ex......not happy!
  • jterry03
    jterry03 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    3 forks? lol
  • Merodie
    Merodie Posts: 21
    Options
    Nothing like some of these, but .. My ex once gave me a plaque that read " Blessed are those who expect nothing. For they shal no be disapointed" yup! EX
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    My father-in-law got my mother-in-law a welder for her birthday several years back. Of course he knew she wouldn't use it and that she would give it right back to him. That is the funniest thing I had ever witnessed in my life!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Continuing in the "Let's convert her" vein, since the cross pendant didn't work... my other in-laws gave us Christmas ornaments every year for about 3-4 years, until I got it through to them, that hubby doesn't like Christmas trees. We're not talking about mailing one or two ornaments. We're takling about a xerox box sized box filled with ornaments and various decorations. We'd get that yearly box, and we'd be in hysterics as we opened it (and dumped it, item by item) into the trash can.

I know they live in the "bible-belt" but it really was kind of ridiculous.
  • Melly1606
    Melly1606 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My dad is is the worst, although seeing how we don't exactly have a relationship getting anything comes as a surprise!!

My first birthday after being married was a book, a book that was sent in my maiden name, and was called "Breaking the cycle of divorce" Nice But then again my sister got the same book for her wedding present!! lol

Anything he does send me or my daughters is in my maiden name- is he trying to say something- my girls do have there fathers' last name!! Idiot
  • tiaydew
    tiaydew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump! Hilarious! and I want to finish reading all of them and I'll think of an insensitive gift my husband gave me too
  • pragya728
    pragya728 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    A guy I was dating a few years gave me a git certificate for Victorias Secret which was actually meant for some other girl. I am guessing the girl he was dating before me. How do I know it was for a different girl? Well, he actually used white-out to remove her name and message from the gift certificate. And on top of that, he did such a horrible job of removing it that I was actually able to see her name and the message that he wrote to her. Ewww!!!