WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Replies

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member

Happy Saturday!

Cheri: Just wondering if there are any better reporting functions in the premium version of MFP that you know of?

Lesley: Welcome back, I've missed you. It's great to know that you can log again. YAY!!

Michele: I think Vince might be right this time. :smile: It's important to replace electolytes when you've been sweating a lot and water just doesn't cut it.

JanetM: Thanks for the links on fluid intake. I'm hoping I don't have to reduce calories so that I get yelled at all the time by MFP (I hate red text!).

Joyce: Thanks for the fond memories of cardboard boxes and hopscotch in the rain. :smile:

Gilly: Congrats on that new grandson have a wonderful break, we'll be here when you get back. :smile:

Lisa: She's adorable! Hope all goes well with the hearing. my-fingers-are-crossed-smiley-emoticon.gif

Lenora: I had to laugh when I read "did not have to add COLD water to our pool" ..up here we add "HOT" water, it never occurred to me that water would get too hot... LOL

Woke up really early today 3:45 been reading for a couple of hours but now I'm getting tired. Going to pop back for a nap and maybe try Tai Chi today.

Thought for the day: When you feel good about yourself, others will feel good about you, too. ~Jake Steinfeld

June Goals:

1. Do menu planning for June (complete)
    2. Eat 3 meals a day
    3. Log all meals
    4. Plan and Do one fun thing each week
    (W1: Hot stone massage and weekend of Tai Chi with friend...Oops that's 2 things...oh darn
    W2: Lunch with a friend, going away party for co-worker... 2 more...yay!
    W3: Pedicure and manicure, Tai Chi in the park. Bingo with my Aunt, Lunch with a friend (Some not planned, but sure have been fun!)
    W4: Trip with 2 of my favourite people (mom & dad) to visit 2 more of my favourite people (Aunt & Uncle)
    5. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for 30 minutes.

Wishing all a wonderful weekend!

Carey-Edmonton

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Run like the wind Pip~!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    Lisa What a doll.

Pip my mom struggled with eye issues all her life too. It was because of her I knew right away something was wrong with my retina. I was fortunate not to lose any vision in that eye. I was also fortunate to inherit my dad's eyesight. He was a pilot. I can still see well enough without glasses and I am close to 60. I am grateful to have such good vision.

DH and I are supposed to go on a garden tour this afternoon, but it is currently raining. It is not like the ones I went on last summer. This one will not be leisurely. We are supposed to cover 15 gardens in two and a half hours. It might be like If it is Tuesday it Must be Belgium of garden tours.

I have heard this one before, but I still like it...

#8 These days I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter...I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Pip - I hear ya!! I have wore glasses since I was 9 and contacts since I was 15. My glasses are "coke bottle bottoms" too. I never wear them outside of the house. They are heavy and because I have a small nose (or short bridge...whatever) most glasses sit on my cheeks, very hard to find ones that look nice on me. There is going to come a day when I have to switch probably, bi focal glasses are next...eeekkkk!! right now I have my contacts prescription acts like bi focals, but I am having to use "readers" more and more. My biggest fear is macular degeneration - my mother was legally blind at 68 because of it.

The clouds are moving in - we are supposed to get rain. Probably if I go out and soak the garden it will rain!! But need to do some more weeding before that, so that is first on the agenda today.

DS#1 says he would like to go fishing with his dad today, his wife is playing ball in a tournament and she wants to go too. DH says I am not coming home in the middle of the day from fishing!! All I know is ..... I am staying home!!! It is really hard to make 10,000 steps sitting in a boat all day ... :s

Have a great day everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,080 Member
    Pip - I hope you and Kirby do well on your race today! Glad your eyes are better.

Good morning ladies! Moondance Jam yesterday and today. Country western concert. My DH sells all the food to them for the event, so we help serve. Very fun! My DD and DSIL come up for it. I get to see my grand fur baby. Raining here this morning. Hopefully it will be gone by this afternoon.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2015
    Pip - wishing you luck, you go girl. We know you'll take first.

Lisa - beautiful baby, makes me want to kiss those chubby little cheeks.

Everyone sounds busy and determine. Loving it.

Whoo. Hooo, I lost 3.5# this week. YES

Janet, Oklahoma City

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Pip~ good lick to you and Kirby~ Hope you make first place ;)
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    janetr7476 wrote: »

Whoo. Hooo, I lost 3.5# this week. YES

Janet, Oklahoma City
    Great loss! I'm doing a happy dance for you"

Chris in MA

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Poopy/Pip...I admire you determination. You've won first place in my book,

Chris in MA
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,938 Member
    Checking in..Conference is over for another year, thank goodness. The last three days were somber because of the event in Charleston. We are all heartbroken. On the positive side, we took up a spontaneous offering to help with funeral expenses and collected over $6500. We are sending a delegation of volunteers to hand deliver it to show our support for our AME friends.

I've already walked for two hours this morning. I need to catch up from missing a couple of days last week.

I skimmed the posts, but in sure I missed a lot. I did see that Margaret scored an Alfred Dunner outfit for her mom. That made me chuckle. Maybe when I'm 96, I will consider wearing it again.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Lenora ~ I can understand adding cold water to the pool. LOL Glad your nephew is getting better and hope he can work at home.

Lisa ~ Is that your granddaughter? Showed the pic to DH and we just smiled. So cute!

Pip ~ Good luck on your race and hope your eyes get better. I can't see a thing without my glasses. It's bad when you are in the shower and can't see which bottle is the shampoo and which is the conditioner.

Leslie ~ Glad you are back and continuing good wishes for your daughter.

We went to neighborhood garage sales and an estate sale this AM. Tried a sausage and egg biscuit at Taco Bell. It was pretty gross and certainly not worth all those calories. Learned my lesson.

Carol
    bbt04y1uh5g2.jpg
  • KMHilinski
    KMHilinski Posts: 14 Member
    Good morning!

Feeling much better today! I hope to get a walk in at some point...but first I have a hair appointment to get this mop cut! I have an interview next week for the Office Manager position at my office! Need to look fabulous!

Currently making breakfast..eggs and bacon with some coffee! I hope everyone's day is going well! Need to read through all the updates later to get caught up!

Today's goal...log ALL my meals, walk 5 miles. ..hydrate! Maybe just maybe get some Zumba or Kinects Bowling in as well!

Have a blessed day my friends!

Kat
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2015
    Yikes, Poop! A 5 k race on a beach? Does that mean on a boardwalk or gravel track or will you actually be running that far in sand!? My legs scream if I just think about doing that!

I got some good calorie burning in today. It was a 3-hour walk with my husband and we only covered about 1½ miles, but most of it was either steeply up or giddyingly down. I'll have to get back with a pic or two when I've downloaded them.

Penny
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    SSC1958 wrote: »
    Lenora: I had to laugh when I read "did not have to add COLD water to our pool" ..up here we add "HOT" water, it never occurred to me that water would get too hot... LOL

Well, with 90+ degree weather and rain almost every afternoon, all he has to do is vacuum out the pool and use the net to get out all the wasps and water-loving bugs that died in it. I wish a horsefly or more would just stop flying around. All they do is light on you and string. We're looking for a very 'hot' summer down her in SW GA (USA). I think son likes it when he doesn't have to add any water to pool; yesterday during a bad storm he almost lost 1/4th of his Paloma tree. Which like us, they give great shade in the summer making it nice to sit in his living room and out on our deck.

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Hello everyone!

Tere: can your SO call Alison’s DH? ;)

Pip: keep us posted on the eye. Glad you had it looked at.

Meg: love seeing you.

Beth: you too!

Alison: glad your internet is working again and that you got your treasured earring fixed.

Michele: with you on the cookie dough. Soooo goooood.... Vince may have had a point about the Gatorade. I did a guided hike in the Alps once and was drinking water the whole time, so I thought I was doing it right. Suddenly I hit a wall and couldn’t put one foot in front of the other. The guides made me drink some of their sports drink and after about half an hour I was OK again. Apparently sweating profusely makes you lose electrolytes, and if you just drink water it can make it worse. That said, I usually dilute things like Gatorade 50-50, and I’ve been fine with that. Personally I would prefer diluted regular to low-sugar, since sugar is important in this equation too (and I hate putting artificial sweeteners in my body).

Lesley: good to hear from you.

I got a facial yesterday (first time in a long time) and I do NOT remember the massage part AT ALL. Why not? Because I was ASLEEP!! :)

Went to the gym again this morning, second time this week. So nice to be able to be even a little bit active again, after being so wiped out with the bronchitis.

Hope we all have a good day!

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Sylvia, thanks for the early morning smiles. Just like a “Damn Cat” smiley-devil13.gif

Janetr, thanks for sharing your story. Congrats to you and your grandson!!! It is strange the things that will finally get through to us on life decisions.

Lori, a big congrats for being calm, cool and collected. Doesn’t it feel great?

Dani and Dee, welcome. This is a great place for support so come often and join right in.

Joyce, you can talk all you want about “him” and we won’t’ say a word. I do hope he will go on Sunday since it is in his honor. If not, maybe this time you’ll bring him a little?

Allison, wow that gym sounds expensive. I know the ones around here aren’t nearly that much. Bummer.

Lisa, I wasn’t worried about you and that cookie jar. I can see the razor sharp edges and know you are too smart for that. When you get all under control at your end, please feel free to offer suggestions for Moi. I swear I just want to eat all the time. I mean like 10 minutes after I finish a meal. I will not smoke again, but that is the only thing I can think that would satisfy me other than putting food in my mouth. Bummer!!! Good job on renaming the meals in your diary.

DeeDee, I agree about company. Love the visits but it is very tiring. You get some rest when they are gone.

Kat, sorry to hear about your “virus” and that you were in such pain. Glad it wasn’t your heart. I don’t know what to tell you about logging your food? If you can remember to walk, I’m sure you can remember to log. You just need to do it a few times until it becomes a habit. For some reason that has not been a problem for me from day 1. I guess I am anxious to get it in the log to see what I am doing for the day. I often log before the day begins, after I plan what I will have for each meal. That really makes it easy and then I can always adjust if needed. Good luck.

Cheri, when I read that your find your DH lack of confidence unsettling, I can’t tell if it truly is bothering you or if you were just making a statement. I hope it doesn’t really give you any stress. I think his support is wonderful! And how nice that when he gets home and mentions a walk, you can say, “I already did it”. *smile* You are doing great so just keep it up.

NMMargaret
    , so far #4 is my favorite.

Lillian, glad you can get up and move. That sounds like a rough day of sitting.

Carol, please know that my thoughts are with you while you go through this difficult project. (((Hugs)))

Tere, doesn’t it feel great to be a good example for your children? I think it is funny that you keep buying clothes too big. I have always worn my clothes a little loose, but have started getting them a bit tight (for me) since I keep undergrowing them so fast. DH already said, “I’m not paying for smaller clothes than these (that I recently bought) so you will just have to stop losing weight.” He was kidding, but it is getting expensive. And this is just a summer wardrobe.

Katla, bummer that the concert wasn’t better. Is there any place to lodge complaints or give suggestions? I hope you had a fun day and enjoy your visit with DS and DDI.

Chris, just thinking of being up and exercising that early makes me want to go back to bed.

Poop, just remember I am older than you are and have a little respect for your elders. There will be no beating up the old lady!!! I do hope you get to see the eye doc today!

Lisa, cute joke!

Heather, glad you got your printing done. I hate computer problems. They are so wonderful when all is working right but so upsetting when it’s not. I still haven’t had my desktop fixed and it just won’t connect to the internet every once in a while. One of these days.

Terri, I’m happy for you that your Dad got another date and you can watch baseball and let Dad do this thing. I’d probably like the 60’s music but the 50’s is getting a little before my time. I hope your sister’s clothes fit.

Lisa, I feel the same way you do about logging my food. That is just a part of my life now and forever.

Kate, it sounds like a good idea to schedule your times to eat and stick to it.

Jan, “holy planks, Batman”, you are doing great. Your summer travel thing sounds like a hoot. Hope ya’ll enjoy.

Heather, OMG, I didn’t know we were so much alike. When I read about your hunger and attacking anything that doesn’t move, and can’t talk when you’re hungry, etc….that’s me too. smiley-eatdrink020.gif I just get downright mean when I’m truly hungry! You don’t want near me unless it’s to hand me food. I’m happy to say that doesn’t happen much anymore, because I carefully plan my intake. It just doesn’t seem fair, is all I have to say.

Mary, I see moving in your near future. *big smile*

Yvonne, what is “flat-pack”? Have fun on that new bike. I’m sure it’s water proof, should it start to rain.

Carol, good job on eating the Chinese food. Yum.

Janetr, the one thing I figured out quite a while ago is that the only person that counts in my battle of the pounds is ME. I can’t lie to myself and I only hurt myself if I don’t do/eat what I know is right. DH doesn’t get to vote on what I eat or don’t eat and I don’t need to impress him with my commitment. It’s my body and my health so if I won’t do it for myself, it just won’t happen. That is why I don’t understand these people that lie on their diaries? Hell they are only there for us, so why lie to myself. If I want to look back to see what I was eating one week when I lost or gained, it won’t do any good if I’m not truthful in logging. Just remember how far you have come and that you are worth it. You look fantastic and I know you don’t ever want to go back. Us Janets can do this!!! When I have to do something like plan a cake for an event, I usually pick something that I don’t like and can easily turn down. Yes, it’s the coward’s way, but I like easy.

Poop, I know what you mean about the AC. Especially doctor’s offices seem to keep it the coldest. If you lived down here though, I don’t think you’d hate AC. It’s a lifesaver.

Tampico, welcome. This is a great place for support and lots of good information as well. Please tell us a bit more about yourself so we can get to know you. Also please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a general location. Come often and join right in.

Beth, it sounds like you have your hands full. Step back and take a breath. Remember when you need to get the house clean, anything you don’t get done will wait for you. Also the 15 minutes at a time thing works great when you are overwhelmed. smiley-chores010.gif Such good news for your sons!!! Now you need to concentrate on Beth. Plan your meals and a bit of exercise time. You have to take care of you, to be able to take care of everyone else. (((Hugs)))

Allison, congrats on the new modem/router. Now we expect you to stay connected. smiley-greet013.gifWay to go on the walking!!

Agnes, try to remember this voice: “STEP AWAY FROM THE DONUTS AND STAY AWAY FROM THE M&M’S” . smiley-greet018.gif When you get tempted, just remember you have all these friends on MFP wanting you to be successful. Good luck.

Rosie, great picture!! Now where is the “after” pic, since we saw the “in progress” one.

Becca, good for you on giving blood. Sometimes it can really “take it out of you”, huh? Rest up and feel good knowing you did something really good!! Wouldn’t it be great if we could just give em some fat??

Poop, glad you got to the doctor. What exactly did they say? Is something scratched or just irritated. Will you be able to see where you are running in the race? You take care of yourself. (((Hugs)))

Barbie, sounds like a very successful class yesterday. Sure with you’d just fly to SC twice a week to teach classes here. LOL

Michele, it sounds like you were a busy lady and got lots accomplished. Sorry to hear about your bout with nausea and glad it subsided. I did have to laugh about the “pink pee” scare.

Lesley, sending prayers for your daughter and all that’s ahead for her. Good to hear from you.

Sylvia, you are such a wonderful grandmother. All kids should be so lucky.

JanetM, looked at your graph. Do you actually go days where you eat under 500 calories?????

Joyce, glad Charlie is going on Sunday. I don’t understand why SIL cares if you bring your own food. It leaves more of hers for others. Tell her to consider it like medicine you have to take. Hope ya’ll have a great day.

Allison, great that you got the earrings fixed!!!

Gilly, a big congrats on that new GS. Have a nice trip and come back to us.

NMMargaret, hope you enjoy your “stroll through the gardens”. dog.gif
    Janetr, congrats on that loss. Way to go!!!!

Katie, glad you are back with us and the conference is over.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

My blood pressure has been on the high side of normal for as long as I can remember. The past few visits to the doc it has been around 120/72. All I can think of is the weight loss? No complaints. I started this yesterday morning and there seemed to be more posts than I could keep up with. Last night I just got too tired to go on so finally caught up just now. I love you ladies and love reading about your lives. When I’m reading the posts I see a response to Janet and read it to find it’s not to me. It’s just a bit confusing, so from now on I’ll go by DJ, which is not for disc jockey, but just the initials for DamitJanit. That will also be shorter for you to type. *smile*

Hugs to those that need them and congrats to those that deserve them. Have a terrific weekend, my friends. <3

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Can't wait for grandbabies coming in Monday night - just for one quick day on Tuesday, and then off again Wednesday, unfortunately, as they have to be down in South Texas for a custody hearing for the soon-to-be four-year-old. They wanted to bring him by for a quick visit first. If they don't get permanent custody, we won't get a chance to see him when they're here for two weeks in late July, which will be sad...

But, fingers crossed, they get the right judge, and that little crapweasel she married the first time will get tagged for the three years of support he has never paid, and hopefully slapped in jail.

A grandma can hope, can't she?

And, just to light up your day, one fat little, very serene baby girl, with a baby buddha belly... :smiley:

kb1lcndg3wf1.jpg

Don't hold your breath for "crapweasel" to do anything other than the judge setting him up on a 'payment schedule' above and beyond what he is supposed to be paying and 'order' him to pay it, or face jail. If Texas is like 'some' states their child support payments go through the state and then they'd put him 'in jail' or he'd be 'ordered' to find the money to pay back past child support if he gets behind again. That was nice about when my DH lived in FL and his wife tried to say he was not paying. She wanted him to give up his parental rights so that her present (at that time) husband could adopt their daughter and that would have 'killed' his mother. We almost broke off our engagement due to it. But, we've been married now for 43 years; and now the childish acting adult daughter doesn't want to have anything to do with us. That hurts; but, it has been going on for now 8 years since his mother died. Worst thing is that her own daughter will never know her sweet PaPa. Sorry you won't get to see them in July if they don't win the custody battle. Maybe, if you are lucky enough and the child is young enough he can be talked into giving up his parental rights making it so that present step-parent can adopt. If he isn't paying maybe he'll give that up. He sounds like a crapweasel. When my oldest granddaughter custody was awarded to her Daddy (her choice); there was a discrepancy about how much he supposedly owed her (due to his present wife cashing checks and giving her cash . . . with no receipt - her bad and she knows it now); and back child support was abolished and it turned out that she would have eventually owed him 2 months of child support. That did not happen, and they did not care. She could not hold down a job, lots of personal issues - probably 'mental'. Best thing was having custody changed, she eventually lost her other children to the state because she was reported to DFACS. Been in jail a few times; and oldest granddaughter won't have anything to do with her at all; however, she does keep up with the 2 siblings who are with the paternal grandmother and biological father (even though they were never married to one another. They had wanted our oldest granddaughter to take custody; but, she told them that she was going to college and wasn't old enough to be a parent to even one of the siblings. She told them where they could find them.

Cute baby Buddha belly! :smiley:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/the-llvlc-show-episode-960-gretchen-rubin-offers-strategies-for-shifting-your-habits-from-bad-to-good/24802

I just listened to this podcast with Gretchen Rubin (one of my favorite authors) with some of her tips about changing eating habits. There is a lot in the podcast about low carb eating which is not my plan but the talk about changing habits told me a lot . I highly recommend listening to it....I downloaded it to my phone and listened while I walk Brandy and Sasha this morning.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member