Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I am totally not following any particular program right now and haven't really studied the science. What is working for me right now is sticking with my tri coach's workouts (tri specific challenging cardio) and hitting the weight room hard 3x per week (machines only), progressively increasing my weights, and eating what I want (lots of carbs...needed for activity level, and sufficient protein, adequate fats). I am really happy with my progress so far and think this is the permanent way forward for me. Cutting was too hard!

Doing machines only means you are missing out on the stabilization requirements of free weights. Using machines also means less motor unit recruitment (less bang for your buck).

Yeah, yeah, so folks on here keep telling me. But that's ok, I like the machines and am getting great results. More than 1 way to skin a cat.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited June 2015
    I am totally not following any particular program right now and haven't really studied the science. What is working for me right now is sticking with my tri coach's workouts (tri specific challenging cardio) and hitting the weight room hard 3x per week (machines only), progressively increasing my weights, and eating what I want (lots of carbs...needed for activity level, and sufficient protein, adequate fats). I am really happy with my progress so far and think this is the permanent way forward for me. Cutting was too hard!

Doing machines only means you are missing out on the stabilization requirements of free weights. Using machines also means less motor unit recruitment (less bang for your buck).

Yeah, yeah, so folks on here keep telling me. But that's ok, I like the machines and am getting great results. More than 1 way to skin a cat.

You're right that there is more than one way to skin a cat. There is no down side to moving from machines to free weights. There are tons of benefits. It's not like people are telling you to give up something for something else, you're making an exchange for more results.

Think of it this way: You have to make a 20 mile trip and you have a bicycle. You can either walk and push the bike, which will get you to your goal, or you can get on it and ride, which has greater benefits than walking and will get you there faster.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

Is there a particular reason you're using machines over free weights?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    gia07 wrote: »
    I do cardio once a week.. where there is only a little but of ab work. I run 5 miles a day even on lift days first thing in the morning and lift 2 hours later... Does not hurt the lifting, and my nutrition is all in check.

You do cardio once per week, but you run every day? Running is cardio.

You may have adjusted to your mileage and lifting, but those are based on your priorities. Have you ever lifted before running? Have you ever dropped mileage while lifting? If not, you don't know if the running is impacting your lifting. There is a chance your lifts would improve if you cut mileage or ran after lifting. Glycogen depletion and the CNS demands of running can impact lifting, but if you've always done it this way you wouldn't know.

I have not been on for a few days.. Yes I realize that running is also cardio but this helps me in many ways. I get a energy boost from running at 5:30 a.m. otherwise I would be a slug all day..

I lift 3/4 hours later after a small breakfast and rest. I lift 5 days, and one solid cardio with HIIT elliptical one day. I am doing a pretty intense 3 month program right now.

I wonder why the Rock gets up at 4:30 every morning and goes for a run and then eats several thousand calories to refuel and then goes to lift several hours later... Why is my situation any different I wonder?

I have never lifted before running. You don;t live in Alabama when it is 85 degrees at 5:00 a.m. with 100% humidity...

I always run at 5;30 a.m. around 4. to 5 miles and part of this is walking. I will drop to walking more on leg day.. I have been steadily increasing weights on my new program.

If I were running 8 to 10 miles it would hurt me. I have been doing this for several months and my sleep and nutrition are in check.. I even had a metabolic blood panel done last month and all is good.

I am not in any way hindering my progress doing what I do each morning.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    I do cardio once a week.. where there is only a little but of ab work. I run 5 miles a day even on lift days first thing in the morning and lift 2 hours later... Does not hurt the lifting, and my nutrition is all in check.

You may have adjusted to your mileage and lifting, but those are based on your priorities. Have you ever lifted before running? Have you ever dropped mileage while lifting? If not, you don't know if the running is impacting your lifting. There is a chance your lifts would improve if you cut mileage or ran after lifting. Glycogen depletion and the CNS demands of running can impact lifting, but if you've always done it this way you wouldn't know.

I have not been on for a few days.. Yes I realize that running is also cardio but this helps me in many ways. I get a energy boost from running at 5:30 a.m. otherwise I would be a slug all day..

I lift 3/4 hours later after a small breakfast and rest. I lift 5 days, and one solid cardio with HIIT elliptical one day. I am doing a pretty intense 3 month program right now.

I wonder why the Rock gets up at 4:30 every morning and goes for a run and then eats several thousand calories to refuel and then goes to lift several hours later... Why is my situation any different I wonder?

I have never lifted before running. You don;t live in Alabama when it is 85 degrees at 5:00 a.m. with 100% humidity...

I always run at 5;30 a.m. around 4. to 5 miles and part of this is walking. I will drop to walking more on leg day.. I have been steadily increasing weights on my new program.

If I were running 8 to 10 miles it would hurt me. I have been doing this for several months and my sleep and nutrition are in check.. I even had a metabolic blood panel done last month and all is good.

The Rock is different because genetics and he has significantly higher than average lean body mass, both make huge differences. He also lifts different than you do.

That's fine if the training works for your lifestyle, but you've never trained any different and don't know what your lifting potential is if you did that prior to running.
  • blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
    edited June 2015
    Hey guys, I'm not sure if I should recomp now. I'm 5'8" and 149 pounds now, which sounds pretty good but I still have A LOT of fat left. :# I focus too much on the number on the scale and I think that's why I don't think I look as good as I should at this weight. I don't want to lose more muscle mass. I guess everyone is different but I feel like I should lose 10 more pounds. It's hard and I have a lot of undesirable fat left to lose, but how much fat is too much to recomp?
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    blueyellowhorse: Do you have any idea what your body fat percentage is? I believe the recommended body fat percentages were mentioned earlier in the thread (25%? ish). I'm 5'5 and 153 lbs. and I'm guessing 24-26% body fat and starting my recomp now. I'm having a bodpod assessment done in a day or two to get a closer check on my "starting" numbers.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Hey guys, I'm not sure if I should recomp now. I'm 5'8" and 149 pounds now,
    Well it's a personal choice, of course, but I'm the same height/weight and have been recomping here now for a while. I've weighed less but was not as strong or balanced. After training for my last half marathon, I weighed 137 and had strong legs but no upper body stregnth and wore about the same size I do now. So I'd say start recomping and lifting heavy if you're not already. Good luck :)
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    mich19025 wrote: »

Thanks for replying. I lift 4 times a week consisting of:

Upper(Barbell squat, stiff leg DL, barbell lunges,calf raises, leg curls/ extension etc)
    Lower(Barbell bench press, military oh press and some dumbell accessories like oh shoulder press)
    Rest or some hiit
    Upper as above
    Lower as above

Always doing 3 sets of 12 and have been adding weight as the last 2 reps get easier. It is really great seeing progress when it comes to upping weight. I just wondered if there was a 'sweet spot' regarding reps so to speak that meant you got the best of both worlds i.e increasing strength as best as I can but still getting the hypertrophy effect.

Thanks again

What about exercises for your upper back, i.e. horizontal and vertical pulling? Rows, pull-ups etc.?
  • blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse: Do you have any idea what your body fat percentage is? I believe the recommended body fat percentages were mentioned earlier in the thread (25%? ish). I'm 5'5 and 153 lbs. and I'm guessing 24-26% body fat and starting my recomp now. I'm having a bodpod assessment done in a day or two to get a closer check on my "starting" numbers.

I think I'm at 27%, well maybe 26%. I'm not sure, I think it's higher than that though. :#
  • blueyellowhorse
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    Well it's a personal choice, of course, but I'm the same height/weight and have been recomping here now for a while. I've weighed less but was not as strong or balanced. After training for my last half marathon, I weighed 137 and had strong legs but no upper body stregnth and wore about the same size I do now. So I'd say start recomping and lifting heavy if you're not already. Good luck :)

That's good! I need to start lifting heavy for sure. :#
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    sistrsprkl wrote: »

That's good! I need to start lifting heavy for sure. :#

yesssss more recruits to lift heavy *kitten*
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member

The Rock is different because genetics and he has significantly higher than average lean body mass, both make huge differences. He also lifts different than you do.

That's fine if the training works for your lifestyle, but you've never trained any different and don't know what your lifting potential is if you did that prior to running.

This^^^so much this. And...the Rock is undoubtedly using anabolic steroids so...But one should know better than to mess with a runner and their schedule!!! :wink:
  • mich19025
    mich19025 Posts: 55 Member

Upper(Barbell squat, stiff leg DL, barbell lunges,calf raises, leg curls/ extension etc)
    Lower(Barbell bench press, military oh press and some dumbell accessories like oh shoulder press)
    Rest or some hiit
    Upper as above
    Lower as above

Always doing 3 sets of 12 and have been adding weight as the last 2 reps get easier. It is really great seeing progress when it comes to upping weight. I just wondered if there was a 'sweet spot' regarding reps so to speak that meant you got the best of both worlds i.e increasing strength as best as I can but still getting the hypertrophy effect.

Thanks again

What about exercises for your upper back, i.e. horizontal and vertical pulling? Rows, pull-ups etc.?

I've got my schedule to hand which is a bit more helpful! This is a routine i've been doing that i pulled from the muscle and strength website and just took for granted it was decent. I am progressing on it too.

Upper1: Barbell Bench Press, DB Row, seated oh db press, pec dec, v bar lat pull down, side lateral raise, cable tri extension. If I've time i'll throw in some single db overhead extensions

Lower1: Barbell Squat, SL deadlift, seated calf raise, leg curl, leg extension, weighted lunges, weighted single leg hip thrusts.

Upper2: incline DB bench press, rack deadlift, military press, chest press (advises machine but I dont like machines so just do it on the bench with dumbells or barbell), shoulder press (again advised machine, i use dumbells) DB curls, tricep dip, tricep extension, 2 handed machine rows. I'm not great with pull ups so was trying to build up some strength by doing the rows? or should i just go for it and dangle there until I can get one? ha.

Lower2: Leg press, SL deadlift, leg press calf raise, weighted lunges, seated leg curl, weighted single leg hip thrusts

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member

I think I'm at 27%, well maybe 26%. I'm not sure, I think it's higher than that though. :#

The good thing about a recomp is that there is no specific BF% you need to be at to start. The "rule" is to be a healthy weight. BF% doesn't impact a recomp the way it does when you do a bulk. If you're happy at your body weight, then start lifting heavy and eating at maintenance to recomp your body.
  • cleanbulk_hatersgfy
    cleanbulk_hatersgfy Posts: 31 Member
    Good morning,

I started using free weights and machines not too long ago. I have no program and really no idea what I'm doing :smile: For those in the know, how heavy should a 39/f, 5'4", 108lbs, 8-10% bf (caliper/hydrostatic test) lift to get results? I've googled away and asked trainers at my local Q and got different answers. My goal is to look leaner/a little bit of muscle definition. Thanks in advance!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member

You're right that there is more than one way to skin a cat. There is no down side to moving from machines to free weights.
    How about massive scars and muscle damage on your abdomen that make stabilizing your core for squats much more painful than leg press and hack squat machines?

• LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member

Rest or some hiit
    Upper as above
    Lower as above

Thanks again

I've got my schedule to hand which is a bit more helpful! This is a routine i've been doing that i pulled from the muscle and strength website and just took for granted it was decent. I am progressing on it too.

Upper1: Barbell Bench Press, DB Row, seated oh db press, pec dec, v bar lat pull down, side lateral raise, cable tri extension. If I've time i'll throw in some single db overhead extensions

Lower1: Barbell Squat, SL deadlift, seated calf raise, leg curl, leg extension, weighted lunges, weighted single leg hip thrusts.

Upper2: incline DB bench press, rack deadlift, military press, chest press (advises machine but I dont like machines so just do it on the bench with dumbells or barbell), shoulder press (again advised machine, i use dumbells) DB curls, tricep dip, tricep extension, 2 handed machine rows. I'm not great with pull ups so was trying to build up some strength by doing the rows? or should i just go for it and dangle there until I can get one? ha.

Lower2: Leg press, SL deadlift, leg press calf raise, weighted lunges, seated leg curl, weighted single leg hip thrusts

Ok, so you do have upper body pulling exercises. The programme hits all the muscle groups and basic movement patterns so as long as you enjoy it and are progressing, you're good. I'm a bit confused about why there's a deadlift variation included in an upper body day, though, so maybe pay attention to how your lower back is feeling—personally, I'd probably replace it with a row (barbell row, inverted row etc.). Rows and pull-downs are good pulling exercises to work towards a pull-up. I still haven't achieved a pull-up either but from what I've read, inverted rows seem to be a good way to progress to pull-ups, and you can also do band-assisted pull-ups. Hanging there, first at the bottom position and as you get stronger, jumping up and holding yourself at the top, as well as negative pull-ups (jump up and lower yourself slowly under control) are also good options. For all these, even when you're just hanging in the bottom position, make sure to really engage all the muscles, especially your back (think about pulling your shoulders down and back) and core, and really try to squeeze that bar.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member

You're right that there is more than one way to skin a cat. There is no down side to moving from machines to free weights.
    How about massive scars and muscle damage on your abdomen that make stabilizing your core for squats much more painful than leg press and hack squat machines?

This is an extreme example.

For most people who don't have a pre-existing condition/injury her post is correct.

If you have a medical reason why you have to use a machine - use a machine. Doesn't have to be a bunch of emotion attached to it. It's just training, not religion...

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited June 2015
    jimmmer wrote: »

This is an extreme example.

For most people who don't have a pre-existing condition/injury her post is correct.

If you have a medical reason why you have to use a machine - use a machine. Doesn't have to be a bunch of emotion attached to it. It's just training, not religion...

@jimmmer

I wasn't the one preaching about free weights to someone who appeared happy and successful with machines.

ETA: And it doesn't take extreme examples. Maybe someone's at a gym without a squat rack and isn't comfortable squatting without one. Or someone doesn't want to deal with finding a spotter or possibly rolling weights off his body when using barbells.

Yeah, free weights have advantages for people who want to use them. That doesn't mean everyone wants to use them and if it makes her less likely to lift, that's a downside to free weights. Heck, I use them for almost everything, but using machines is better than using nothing if that's what the person is comfortable with.