Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    ok guys I am on the fence about something. I got asked out on a date this weekend. I don't date because in reality I don't have a lot of free time and I am certainly not wanting to take any time away from my son. But in spite of all this I am considering going. What's a girl to do?

Do you like date asker guy? If the answer is yes, then I say GO FOR IT!

I do like said guy lol

Well, then, buy yourself something pretty (sexy, but tasteful) and go and enjoy yourself. If you just get a meal and decent conversation but it doesn't go anywhere, at least you have a pretty new dress to wear later. But if it DOES go somewhere, I think we all expect to be invited to the wedding. :smiley:

Hmmm sexy sounds like something I haven't done in a long time :) And of course you would all be invited honestly I feel closer to you guys lately than most of the people IRL :)

You HAVE to show us your choices before choosing though. I LOVE helping people pick out clothes and I've NEVER helped anyone get ready for a date before, well, besides myself of course. :smiley:

The bold part: me too!

Mo, I just ordered a couple of dresses from Modcloth for a wedding and I'm not sure which I want to wear! It's an afternoon ceremony but evening reception at a mountain lodge, so I went for more "fun" than "formal"...

This pink one
    Or this black embellished one (comes with straps)

When they actually arrive it might turn out that I hate the fit of one or both, but I couldn't decide and had to order both. All my cocktail dresses are either very winter-y (long sleeves, heavy fabrics, etc.) or too big, or make me look like a waitress (because I have an extensive collection of black cocktail dresses that I wore while bartending.)

There's a crazy four-hour gap between the ceremony and cocktail hour, though, so we were going to change, go for a hike, and come back and change back, so maybe I'll wear the pink one for the ceremony and the peacock one for the reception? Is that attention-grabby or weird?

I love love LOVE that peacock dress! But... I'm old school, so no black (or white) at weddings for me. Or is that concept passé now?

Black is very commonly worn at evening weddings here (at least the formal, hotel ballroom or whatever kind.) But I've read it's less common in the American South and in smaller cities/rural areas (where it's more traditional, I guess.) I even see black bridesmaids dresses quite often now.
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    @peleroja both of those dress are AWESOME!! I'd wear the formal one for the ceremony and the fun one for the reception where you'll be dancing the night away!! That's just my opinion though, both dresses are fabulous, you have excellent taste!!

I thought the polka dots were more "daytime" than evening - I guess maybe I think it's weird to wear a black dress like that for an afternoon thing? Especially for an outdoor ceremony?

This is not my realm of expertise, though, because I normally just go to work events and wear the same couple of navy or black super conservative dresses, all high neck and sleeves and stuff.

I agree with you: I'd wear the pink one for the ceremony and the black one at night. That one would be super fun to dance in and if anyone even implies that you're taking attention away from the bride maybe tell a little white lie and say you spilled something on the pink one.

Or, maybe I'm a terrible person for thinking this way? Personally, I don't care about weddings being ALL about the bride. They eat up an enormous amount of my time on a weekend, so I'm going to look good and enjoy it!

I'm pretty much that person too because I mostly hate weddings so it's hard to have a good time. Even my own was hard to deal with and it was tiny and very nontraditional. But the whole spend a whole weekend, drive (or fly) for hours, get an expensive hotel room, wait around forever between the ceremony and reception, eat a mass-produced hunk of chicken or "prime rib" at a table full of people you barely know with a glass of mediocre Merlot, sit through hard-to-hear speeches and bouquet tossing and dances and "funny stories" while drunk randos get gropey and terrible music plays...is just not my idea of a good time.

I attend happily for people I really care about because I love them, but I'm always kind of shocked when I hear someone say they like weddings. Everything about them (apart from the actual ceremonies, which are usually nice) makes me unhappy.

Could NOT agree with you more! My husband and I are really role reversed in almost every aspect, including this one. He LOVES weddings. He gets way too excited and spends way more time figuring out what he's going to wear than I do. I dread them.

And, I've worn black to the past two weddings we've gone to. It's easier to wear for an all-day thing that involves food and drinks. Much more forgiving if someone bumps into you and causes a spill.

Arab weddings are WAY worse, especially the house weddings. They generally last for THREE DAYS. There's no room because there are three hundred plus people stuck into a house that's meant for a family of 5-6 people, and everyone sits on the floor inside or outside on rugs--it's this huge mass of bodies squished so tightly that you can't even breathe and it's swelteringly hot, and the music played is TERRIBLE and so loud that you feel like your eardrums are going to blow up. Through all of this, you're supposed to smile, look happy, pretend your make up isn't running, and wait for... 3 A.M.ish when it's finally considered "okay" to go home without looking rude.

... And some are seven days. You're expected to buy a new dress for every single day, otherwise you're not showing the bride proper respect. No, I'm not kidding. I've backed out of house weddings for years because of these reasons--I don't even care if everyone hates me and thinks I'm the rudest relative in existence. The torture isn't worth it! :o
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not alone in the wedding-dislike. I swear I'm not even a cynical person, and I'm happy for people and everything...it's just that the events themselves are pretty tortuous, like being at a work networking reception that goes on the entire day and night. Even the free booze doesn't do much for me because I'm picky and would rather buy a reasonable quantity of something I like than drown in a river of free domestic beer.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    I rejoined a gym in the last week. There are many gyms in the area but the one I prefer and feel very comfortable taking my kids to workout with me is kind of expensive. I had quit it for a year to catch up on things financially and tried to keep active in many other ways. Recently I decided that my daughter really enjoyed it and I want to support anything she enjoys these days. Tonight we went to a Zumba class at her request. It was 75 minutes of me flailing around as ungainly as possible. Daughter loved it and smiled more in that class than I've seen in a long time. Worth the cost of admission. I did a couple of calculators and based on my weight I think I burned around 500 calories in that time. I know I was pushing myself to stay as high intensity as I could. Is 500 calories for 1.25 hours a reasonable estimate? I'm on the very little side. I don't often log food and I even more rarely log exercise. I also lifted weights (didn't even try to figure that out) and got a decent amount of walking in during the day. I feel that I am keeping my nice slow steady goal of gradually losing another few pounds.

That would be me also. Which is why I'd never do Zumba. Glad your daughter really enjoyed it, though... and you're an awesome mum for attending with her!
    Confession: I'm seriously considering the intermittent fasting diet. I'm clearly not getting anywhere with the old fashioned calorie counting and I'm actually getting quite desperate now. I want to book a doctors appointment but I think they will say the same thing as my mum "Why don't you join weight watchers or slimming world" Yea, I don't want to pay someone to watch me stand on a scale.

I'm also considering taking all the money I have saved for a deposit on a house and getting someone to just suck all the fat out of me.

It's all feeling very hopeless at the moment

I've done 5:2 intermittently. (that sounds weird, ha ha) I've mentioned before that when he's home my SO does the cooking and that generally results in huge portions of very rich and rather "junky" food -- not at all how I'd choose to eat -- so when he's gone I'll do 5:2 to kind of recalibrate, especially since my IBS is usually in overdrive by the time he leaves (we seriously eat like cr@p).

I'd say give it a try.

But keep saving that house money!!!

Yea, I don't see any harm in trying it for a month or so. It's not something stupid like a teatox. It just involves a bit of forward planning.

It's ok, the money is still there

I tend to rely heavily on 35 calorie Yoplait yogurt pots, 15 cal fruit cups (Del Monte water packed, no added sugar) and Quest bars. But the 500 days make me feel seriously awesome... probably because the carb/high fat/sodium fog lifts, lol.

In England we have Icelandic Yogurt called SKYR and it is no fat, high protein (It's amazing) and I intend on having that for lunch I think. It does have carbs in it though so I'm not sure.
    What do you have for dinner? I was thinking stir-fry one night, but I can't think of anything else apart from soup or salad for the second night :confounded:

Well, bearing in mind that I LOATHE cooking and I'm an incredibly unimaginative cook... usually eggs, often poached, sometimes an omelette with a weensy bit of cheese or... and this rates as a "confession"... one of those prepared frozen meals. I have a whole range of them from 160 to 250 cals, which fits nicely into a 500 day. There is a line here called Blue Menu that is actually pretty "healthy".

I'm lucky in that I already drink diet pop and have always taken my coffee black, so I'm not adding calories with beverages.

eta: cottage cheese is a dinner staple also

Awwww, :disappointed: I can't stand egg. I wish it wasn't true, and I keep trying it, but I can't like them. Thank you for the suggestion though. I shall roam the Internet for meals. I'm sure there is a thread on it here somewhere.

There is a 5:2 group community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting, I think there should be recipe threads in there. There are 5:2 cookbooks too... I ambitiously put them on my kindle and of course haven't looked at them since... I'll check the author when I get home.

Had a quick browse, looks quite useful! Thank you!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    @MoHousdon those earrings are beautiful!! Wow, you really are one lucky woman! I bet you two compliment each other really well as a couple because you are great too!

I'm really not that great, but he makes up for it. Oh, who am I kidding?! I'm freaking AMAZING!

Yes you are!! I miss you guys today we have out of town visitors here at work so I can't seem to break away to hardly even take a peek. And tonight we are taking them for supper so I am going to be so far behind on this thread and BB. I may have to cancel the date to get caught up on Saturday!

Those are some interesting priorities! :p The thread isn't going anywhere, even if you don't catch up for a while. :)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    ok guys I am on the fence about something. I got asked out on a date this weekend. I don't date because in reality I don't have a lot of free time and I am certainly not wanting to take any time away from my son. But in spite of all this I am considering going. What's a girl to do?

I do like said guy lol

Well, then, buy yourself something pretty (sexy, but tasteful) and go and enjoy yourself. If you just get a meal and decent conversation but it doesn't go anywhere, at least you have a pretty new dress to wear later. But if it DOES go somewhere, I think we all expect to be invited to the wedding. :smiley:

Hmmm sexy sounds like something I haven't done in a long time :) And of course you would all be invited honestly I feel closer to you guys lately than most of the people IRL :)

You HAVE to show us your choices before choosing though. I LOVE helping people pick out clothes and I've NEVER helped anyone get ready for a date before, well, besides myself of course. :smiley:

Mo, I just ordered a couple of dresses from Modcloth for a wedding and I'm not sure which I want to wear! It's an afternoon ceremony but evening reception at a mountain lodge, so I went for more "fun" than "formal"...

This pink one

When they actually arrive it might turn out that I hate the fit of one or both, but I couldn't decide and had to order both. All my cocktail dresses are either very winter-y (long sleeves, heavy fabrics, etc.) or too big, or make me look like a waitress (because I have an extensive collection of black cocktail dresses that I wore while bartending.)

There's a crazy four-hour gap between the ceremony and cocktail hour, though, so we were going to change, go for a hike, and come back and change back, so maybe I'll wear the pink one for the ceremony and the peacock one for the reception? Is that attention-grabby or weird?

I love love LOVE that peacock dress! But... I'm old school, so no black (or white) at weddings for me. Or is that concept passé now?

Black is very commonly worn at evening weddings here (at least the formal, hotel ballroom or whatever kind.) But I've read it's less common in the American South and in smaller cities/rural areas (where it's more traditional, I guess.) I even see black bridesmaids dresses quite often now.
    @peleroja both of those dress are AWESOME!! I'd wear the formal one for the ceremony and the fun one for the reception where you'll be dancing the night away!! That's just my opinion though, both dresses are fabulous, you have excellent taste!!

I thought the polka dots were more "daytime" than evening - I guess maybe I think it's weird to wear a black dress like that for an afternoon thing? Especially for an outdoor ceremony?

This is not my realm of expertise, though, because I normally just go to work events and wear the same couple of navy or black super conservative dresses, all high neck and sleeves and stuff.

I agree with you: I'd wear the pink one for the ceremony and the black one at night. That one would be super fun to dance in and if anyone even implies that you're taking attention away from the bride maybe tell a little white lie and say you spilled something on the pink one.

Or, maybe I'm a terrible person for thinking this way? Personally, I don't care about weddings being ALL about the bride. They eat up an enormous amount of my time on a weekend, so I'm going to look good and enjoy it!

I'm pretty much that person too because I mostly hate weddings so it's hard to have a good time. Even my own was hard to deal with and it was tiny and very nontraditional. But the whole spend a whole weekend, drive (or fly) for hours, get an expensive hotel room, wait around forever between the ceremony and reception, eat a mass-produced hunk of chicken or "prime rib" at a table full of people you barely know with a glass of mediocre Merlot, sit through hard-to-hear speeches and bouquet tossing and dances and "funny stories" while drunk randos get gropey and terrible music plays...is just not my idea of a good time.

I attend happily for people I really care about because I love them, but I'm always kind of shocked when I hear someone say they like weddings. Everything about them (apart from the actual ceremonies, which are usually nice) makes me unhappy.

Could NOT agree with you more! My husband and I are really role reversed in almost every aspect, including this one. He LOVES weddings. He gets way too excited and spends way more time figuring out what he's going to wear than I do. I dread them.

And, I've worn black to the past two weddings we've gone to. It's easier to wear for an all-day thing that involves food and drinks. Much more forgiving if someone bumps into you and causes a spill.

Arab weddings are WAY worse, especially the house weddings. They generally last for THREE DAYS. There's no room because there are three hundred plus people stuck into a house that's meant for a family of 5-6 people, and everyone sits on the floor inside or outside on rugs--it's this huge mass of bodies squished so tightly that you can't even breathe and it's swelteringly hot, and the music played is TERRIBLE and so loud that you feel like your eardrums are going to blow up. Through all of this, you're supposed to smile, look happy, pretend your make up isn't running, and wait for... 3 A.M.ish when it's finally considered "okay" to go home without looking rude.

... And some are seven days. You're expected to buy a new dress for every single day, otherwise you're not showing the bride proper respect. No, I'm not kidding. I've backed out of house weddings for years because of these reasons--I don't even care if everyone hates me and thinks I'm the rudest relative in existence. The torture isn't worth it! :o

Wow. I could never. Never. An overnight trip is bad enough (especially when combined with the bridal showers, stag and stagettes, etc etc that all seem to be whole weekend things now too) but SEVEN DAYS? Whyyyyyyyy?
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    @MoHousdon those earrings are beautiful!! Wow, you really are one lucky woman! I bet you two compliment each other really well as a couple because you are great too!

I'm really not that great, but he makes up for it. Oh, who am I kidding?! I'm freaking AMAZING!

Yeah you are!!!

Aww, gee, thanks! :blush:

• MoHousdon
    Options
    @MoHousdon - Do you leave tomorrow or Saturday? We'll miss you but know you'll have a blast!

We leave Saturday. Flight is scheduled to leave @ 6:30 am. I'm trying not to think about the flight part so much because I get anxious when I do. However, Mr. Mo, being the incredibly nice guy he is, is letting me have all the window seats to and from, so I'm hoping to get some good shots for you guys.

I think this is part of his plan to get me to "loosen" up. I'm a little embarrassed I said that. :blush:

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    *kitten* day at work ... 3 glasses of wine have demolished my motivation. I feel bad (in a good, slightly squiffy way).
    Tomorrow is another day.

Like! I enjoy my evening cocktails, but never to a point of too much because I hate that feeling, but I'm loving this word! Going to have to figure out a way to use it...
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Hello All! Just checking in to say I'm not checking in. No time to read back at the moment. Will try to catch up over the weekend.
    Super great best wishes to everyone!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I do like said guy lol

This pink one

... that sounds dreadful.

I confess that I don't like weddings. Mine were ok, obviously, the other two I've been to (in France, not the US) were kinda boring, honestly. My sister's was ok because I spent the evening chatting with a friend of hers, but I remember a lot of waiting around not doing anything and being bored otherwise...

I confess that when people say 'wedding' all I can think of is cake...

One of my BILs is getting married this December actually but I'm not sure I want to go, we'd have to take the kids out of school for a few days (it's 3 states away) and I'm not keen about that. My husband thinks it's important because it's his last brother to get married, but they picked a date when it's pretty obvious that none of the nephews and nieces will be in vacations, so yeah... and it would cost us a bunch of $$ to go. I told my husband to go alone. We'll see how that turns out.
  • MoHousdon
    Options

I do like said guy lol

This pink one

But cake...

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »

I do like said guy lol

This pink one

I'm exactly the same way. I hate attention, dressing up, and having people look at me. I don't dance, the vegetarian meals are usually not very good/filling, I don't drink...the list goes on and on.
    When we have gone to weddings, I have worn black every time.

Yes ma'am! We are twins. I do drink, but I'm very careful at weddings. Nothing like being unsteady on my high heels to completely ruin a whole look! Plus, if I am the designated driver I have more say over how long we stay.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    Look what you guys made me do...
    4cduwxesnjwv.jpg

I couldn't resist, it was $2 off. I would have grabbed more had I not been on lunch. I'm hoping to have enough calories for some tonight. We'll see.

Whooooo! That flavor is awesome.

If you go back you should try the Salted Caramel Peanut too.

Don't disown me or kick me out, but I'm not a huge salted caramel fan. I like caramel and I LOVE salt, but just not together. Which is weird, because I love sweet/salty flavor combos.

• MoHousdon
    Options

Yes you are!! I miss you guys today we have out of town visitors here at work so I can't seem to break away to hardly even take a peek. And tonight we are taking them for supper so I am going to be so far behind on this thread and BB. I may have to cancel the date to get caught up on Saturday!

Don't you dare! We'll still be here when you get back. Well, I WON'T (maybe I will) but most everyone else will.

This is assuming you're talking about the date you were asked out on earlier this week. If not that date, then just ignore me. And thanks for saying I'm amazing. You all are making me head swell today. That, and I've gotten a lot of compliments on my hair today which is odd, because I wasn't really digging it when I left the house this morning. :smile:

• hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Confession: I have a glass of red wine each night because of the Facebook articles that keep coming up about the benefits, or so I tell myself. My boyfriend completely called me out last night and told me I'm just using it as an excuse to drink red wine every night, and he's right. I'm still drinking the wine though.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I was about to panic because there were no new posts for 22 minutes. Whew!
    mq1p7n93xwuk.gif
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    I was about to panic because there were no new posts for 22 minutes. Whew!
    mq1p7n93xwuk.gif

People are home., I'm guessing, lol.

Confession - some people on these forums really piss me off. Got to learn to just ignore it...
  • caddir
    caddir Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    festerw wrote: »
    Confession: Outside of exercising, if you wear earbuds/headphones in public I want to punch you in the face. This is especially true at restaurants, disconnect yourself and pay attention to your surroundings or *gasp* have a conversation with someone.

*I work on a college campus so my view may be slightly skewed, I've seen a lot of near misses with students just because they're not paying attention.

I tend to wear mine in public when traveling (mostly air travel) or if I went somewhere specifically to study or do grad homework, so that I DON'T pay attention to my surroundings. That said, I don't think I could ever have both earbuds in if I were running on a busy street because I'd be too worried about being run over! :)

Fester's gonna hate me - I wear my headphones pretty well any time I walk anywhere. I try to drive as little as possible, so when I walk places (like my half hour walk to work) I listen to audiobooks because it's so damn boring making the same trek on the same street day after day. At least I get some "reading" in that way.

I can't fathom why that would be irritating to someone though. It's not like listening to something makes me unable to watch where I'm walking, and the only conversation I'm avoiding is with panhandlers and people pushing religious pamphlets...

I don't have the luxury of being able to listen to the radio when I want to so I podcast and then listen when I walk. I just don't get why it bothers anyone. Different matter if you are interacting with other people, but I walk on my own because I don't have anyone to exercise with anyway.

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I'm eating Halo Top ice cream while watching a documentary on Netflix called Bite Size. Most likely will be doing the same thing tomorrow night :) My life is so exciting! Haha
  • artisticjen
    artisticjen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't log my meals on MFP very often.........but I tell my doctor I do it religiously. I also tell him that I just can't figure out why I'm not losing weight. :'(

I'm mobility challenged (that how I like to put it, lol) and if I'm not 60 pounds lighter by November, he's taking me off my pain meds. Which means I won't be doing a whole lot because of the chronic pain.

Meal planning is a HUGE issue for me. When I plan, I'm fine. I just never seem to be able to get a plan together.

One of these days I'll get my act together. Is there a pill for that? Maybe someone can just reprogram my brain for me. Anyone?