Okay...McDonald's...Yes, No, Sometimes?

Options

Replies

• Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Sometimes - there are plenty of choices there that can easily fit in whatever your numbers are. Egg Mcmuffins are a common post-workout breakfast for me when Im rushing around.

There was a favorite fast food thread around not too long ago, people posting their suggestions and cal counts. I was pleasantly surprised by some choices and many I just never considered but have since.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i gave up all fast food almost 2 years ago, although will have the occasional sandwich from Subway. Honestly, I don't miss it and for ME, it's absolutely not worth the calories, fat and sodium.
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do my best to plan ahead calorie-wise for a drive-thru/eat out meal. I usually have 1 Timmy Ho's meal a week. A BLT sandwich, 1 donut and an unsweetened iced tea. If I'm really hungry for a burger I can usually fit in a happy meal, but nothing else because at 1300/Day there are just to many calories in anything else. If I've seriously been craving a quarter pounder and know I'll binge on other things to make up for not having it it's actually wiser me to just get the burger then my calories won't be on to serious of an overload. The next day I'll eat less and exercise more to make up for it.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I ate a Big Mac yesterday. loved it. Fitted into my Macro's/calories fine. The thing I noticed though was how rubbish the Macros were. 600 cals for only 24g Protein and I was hungry again an hour later.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    ariamythe wrote: »
    Speaking of burgers that are awful in the calorie count but heavenly on the plate, Red Robin -- just keep me away. Some of those burgers are 1000 calories *on their own*, but they are soooo goooood ...
    Do not make the mistake of even THINKING about ordering the 13 onion ring tower!
    I shared one with two others.
    Definitely an occasion where looking up the calories BEFORE ordering would have paid off!
    2000Cal, without the dipping sauces!

Been there. In fact, it's scary to contemplate: Get the onion ring tower as an appetizer, the Royal Robin burger w/fries, take advantage of one refil on the bottomless fries ... I would shudder to see the total kcal of that meal! [And yes, I have had that meal before.]

• DennyB1964
    DennyB1964 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I either bring or walk to lunch on work days, and we have McDonalds, Wendy's, Carls Jr (Hardees) and Del Taco.

Most days I'll bring, but some mornings are rushed, or I just plain don't want anything in the fridge, or I know I'll want to get away from the building for a while.

I don't usually eat McDonalds, but mostly because it's a pain to get to traffic-wise. And I try to make it really rare anyway. Just something about their food makes me a little leery.

At Wendy's, I'll get a half order of their apple pecan chicken salad, which is really a lot of food. I could never eat the full order size. 350 calories.

At Del Taco, I get two tacos and an order of chips and salsa (not on the menu usually - bag of chips and a cup of pico de gallo). 400 calories.

Carl's Jr? I just go with the cheeseburger kids meal. And I get a toy. ;) About 500 calories.

Normally I eat really well. I have tried before to be perfect, and it just doesn't work in the long run. If I cut myself a little slack every now and then, I know I can hang in there for the long haul. And that's what really counts.
  • elhenry693
    elhenry693 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you want to McDonald's I would say do it but add it. When I go to McDs I would always get a cheeseburger and small fries.
  • percolater
    percolater Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I go once a week, always get the Southwest salad with SW dressing -- a nice even 400 calories and pretty tasty.

I think McD's should get credit for being the only fast food restaurant in my area with calorie counts posted right up there next to the price.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Learn the calories of the items you'd like to eat at your favorite fast food places, and eat it whenever you want. My husband is on the road a lot for work, and eats those dollar menu chicken sandwiches (no mayo) quite a bit. They are like 300-350 calories a piece without the mayo added.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I very rarely eat at McD's, and if I do it's almost always breakfast. I do love me a Sonic cheeseburger and tots, and a java chiller shake, but keep that to a treat every few months.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer the food at Wendy's or Chickfila, but sure, you can make MacDonald's work.

The people at our local chickfila know my family since we often take the kids there for breakfast or lunch on Saturdays during the school year to let them play and have some ice cream for dessert. Sort of a little treat at the end of the week. Ive managed to continue on with my weight loss.
  • limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Never, the food is gross, of poor quality and unethically produced. Not to say that you can't have it if you don't want to, but I'm tired of all these chain eateries serving their crappy food. I mean, should your meat cost less than your toilet roll?? Something's wrong here!

On the otherhand - I believe you should enjoy what you eat (even if it is a McDonalds :P), never feel 'guilty' or 'bad' about it, just accept it, enjoy it and get back on track!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ...should your meat cost less than your toilet roll??

Sure. Why not? Trees are people, too....

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I totally avoid it, but that's because I just don't like it. I eat "naughty" food regularly, but I practice moderation and balance it out with other dietary choices, and/or additional workouts.

You have to eat like a real person.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I mean, should your meat cost less than your toilet roll?? Something's wrong here!

Pricing is an economic equation, driven by things like supply, demand, and cost to produce. Items are not generally priced simply to reflect their quality, and different economic factors drive the pricing of each. Toilet paper is not influenced by the price of beef, nor hamburgers by the going rate for wood pulp.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease, and one of the sadder aspects of my diagnosis was discovering that McDonald's fries weren't gluten-free.

Otherwise? I'd fit them in my calorie allowance.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Maybe once or twice a month when I'm too lazy to make dinner for the kids. I might pick up one of those grilled chicken wraps. They're not bad. The kids love the nuggets. All in moderation. Nothing wrong with it.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    it used to be a staple of my diet. along with Burger King and Wendys. i havent had either for close to 3 years. im afraid if i go back it will just open the flood gates again and eating fast food 8 times a week sure as hell didnt help my weight do anything but go up
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I don't really care for fast food in general and McDonald's in particular. When we are traveling or occasionally on my way to work I will stop for breakfast, the Egg McMuffin is not bad calorie wise and even the Sausage McMuffin is still in the 350 calorie range. When I eat out I prefer to go to a sit down restaurant where the food quality is better and it's a more relaxing atmosphere.