anyone else get super frustrated at friends/co workers?

Options
Bro-science everywhere! One of my friends moans to me every day that he isn't losing weight even though he 'barely eats' and I've seen the man eat two large chip shop servings with salt and vinegar! So I try to explain to him and he just says 'no. My metabolism is just crap. I barely eat anything and I work out loads.' I know for some folks its difficult to admit that actually, its not the metabolism, its you, but sometimes I wanna pull out my own hair! And another friend of mine busts her *kitten* lifting weights every day saying she's gonna get super muscular and huge arms etc...but eats practically nothing! Its crazy how uneducated we all were at one point and now we are all super diet gurus...lol.

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Yep. The best is the old gem "Why aren't you eating these doughnuts/cookies/cupcakes/whatever here for the whole office? You're so skinny!" It's hard sometimes not to say "Yes, I'm not fat because I don't eat this stuff every day when it appears in the break room."

I don't talk about this stuff with people IRL if I can help it, and if they ask I give a vague "Oh, you know, I watch my calories and try to stay active," because it's just not worth it.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Meh...it doesn't frustrate me any more. I just smile and nod and carry on.

If someone asks me for frank, honest advice I'll give it to 'em. But that's pretty rare.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who constantly wonders why she only gains weight even though she works out all of the time. However, whenever I see her she eats HUGE meals multiple times per day. I'm talking 1500-2000+ calories before getting into soda consumption. She is far past the unhealthy barrier of large, but anyone even mentioning anything about her weight completely crushes her. I've tried to talk about it before, but it's come to fighting/tears, so I'm hands off now.

I worry about her health, but she refuses to even be honest enough with herself to have an open conversation, so there's nothing that anyone other than her can do.

It is definitely frustrating.
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My co-worker tells me she is eating to fix her broken metabolism and to avoid starvation mode. I just nod and move on after seeing her breakfast of a fast food sandwich, lunch is some fried fast food and she has informed us all that she isn't cooking at home anymore.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Why would I get frustrated at other people? My nose doesn't belong in their business.

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    YES. My co-workers literally eat out every day (McDonald's, sushi, etc.) or bring mayo and pork rinds, only to lecture me about how I need to not eat fruit ("too much sugar"), protein bars ("they're for men") and carrots ("they have carbs"). I have to refrain myself from laughing every single time. They will literally say, "Oh I'm eating so healthy today" as they're munching on McNuggets....
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't get frustrated by other people's weight loss failure. I do me, they can do them.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    My boyfriends mother is always complaining about her weight and want to lose enough to go down a couple of clothing sizes. But she claims she never eats breakfast or lunch, and only eats a small dinner, and is the size she is because she's not eating enough. She also says that all women become overweight after having children so there's really nothing she can do about it anyway.
    It's frustrating to hear her complaining about her weight but refusing to actually do anything. I think that moaning about it has actually become a hobby for her, she enjoys talking about how she can't lose weight more than she actually wants to do it, iyswim.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about office sabotage.

I like this topic much better.

Carry on.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    It is a funny thing. At work and at the gym I have been going to for a year and a half, people have seen me drop 125 lbs of fat and add back muscle.

9 months ago I would get questioned about not going out to lunch and what not.

Now I get asked how I did it.

And I will share how it worked with people and they know me before and after

Some try and make a positive change. Others keep going to fast good 1200 calorie lunches and 400 calorie snacks from the machine after that. And they have not quite gotten to join a gym.

It does not matter really.

I used to do that too. So I have no right to say anything.

When a person wants to see, they usually get a clear vision.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont get frustrated with other people, but it does make me re-evaluate what i think their intelligence level is ;)

i have people ask how ive lost so much weight and when i tell them ' eat less, move more' they roll their eyes and go back to talking about special foods or diets or wraps. whatever. its their money and their body. not mine.
  • jenhansen415
    jenhansen415 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be about office sabotage.

I like this topic much better.

Carry on.

^^^ me too but I agree!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Some people in my office will tell me off for eating sandwiches, or red meat, or crisps for lunch, because they're apparently fattening/bad for your heart/will make you feel sluggish. I just smile and carry on enjoying my lunch. I don't think they mean badly, they're just sharing their thoughts during a social part of the work day. It probably would bother me more if I was just starting to try and lose weight, possibly, but I'm comfortable with how I eat and pretty set in my ways now, so it's water off a duck's back.

My office is pretty food obsessed in general though, so it's not weird for us to talk about each other's lunches.
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    People ask me all the time how I lost my weight. When I say get a food scale and use it the don't want any part of it lol
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yep. My old coworkers used to complain that they had "slow metabolisms" and tell me that I was "just lucky" but I would mentally calculate their food intake and they'd be up to 2000+ by 4 pm while I was sticking to 1700-1800 and losing 2 lbs a week. I never gave out unsolicited advice to them, but they loved to dole out their "wisdom," gems like "You are going to get bulky," "you can't eat this," "you should try a body wrap (lol)," "diet soda makes you gain weight." I would just smile and nod. Just like them, if I told the multitude of people on MFP spreading misinformation that they're wrong, I wouldn't have time to do anything else. Pick your battles.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I try to be supportive, but yes I do get frustrated when a friend laments about not being able to lose weight.
    She insists her metabolism is very slow and she can't lose weight. When in reality she just needs to be more active. She insists going keto will work for her, when her lifestyle indicates it probably won't.

I've given up and I just smile and nod and honestly we don't talk much about weight loss anymore. She's gained weight and I've reached my goal weight, though I'm ok with losing more :)
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have a friend always trying to one-up me. My weight is her obsession. If I lost 5 pounds in two weeks, she lost 4 in 3 days. No exaggeration, that was our conversation today.

Another friend has a serious family issue with obesity, and has gained nearly 100 pounds since her wedding 13 months ago. She'll diet for a day and give up for a month. She's always calling me asking to go get Chinese, Mexican, pizza, and so on. I feel like she almost wants me to be in the position she is with weight. I just had to tell her today "No, I can't make twice baked potatoes, Mac and cheese, and burgers for the 4th... I'm trying to stick to my goals!!" Rrr...

My coworkers, thankfully, are great. I've had jobs in the past where they were the root of much of my temptation.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I ranted last week about my co-worker starting Isagenix. Complaining that nothing else has worked for her. (Nothing else = Weight Watchers & the occasional exercise video.) She brings decent enough food for lunch, just way too much of it. I've tried to casually drop hints about how I weigh & measure my food and log my calories, but to no avail.

The other day she was talking about taking the 'accelerator pills' that help with metabolism and I almost just facedesked right in front of her.
  • jhard728
    jhard728 Posts: 52 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    it's a losing battle. I get a hard time everyday for eating chicken and veggies at work and then today I was questioned for getting Jimmy John's "are you going to eat that"? I just shake it off but I would love to say eat whatever the hell I want when I want to and no I don't think that my tuna sandwich on wheat is going to kill me, but that quadruple burger you are eating might...

Seriously though, just do your thing and people will get used to it being what you do and the comments will taper off.
  • happypackie
    happypackie Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    YES. My co-workers literally eat out every day (McDonald's, sushi, etc.) or bring mayo and pork rinds, only to lecture me about how I need to not eat fruit ("too much sugar"), protein bars ("they're for men") and carrots ("they have carbs"). I have to refrain myself from laughing every single time. They will literally say, "Oh I'm eating so healthy today" as they're munching on McNuggets....

Protein bars are for men bahahaha B)
    Well you keep doing you :D

My grandma desperately wants to lose weight but won't try anything new, so...
    Also, she fought with me on my birthday about my own weight, thinks I've gained 50 - 60 pounds (I haven't), and told me loads of people also have knee surgery but don't gain weight. She, however, is allowed to be an emotional eater and have depression, when I talk about the struggles I had in the past. Thanks for the support...