Things people do at the gym, that you hate.

Options

Replies

• for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    lucy16076 wrote: »
    Men grunting because are lifting too much weight...I'm sure women do it too in some of the more 'active' gyms, but at mine it seems to be the men that grunt very loudly to indicate to us all that he's lifting far too much weight! :pensive:

This reminded me the Direct TV commercial featuring "Meathead Rob Lowe." lmao.
  • kwiet_storm
    kwiet_storm Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Chew gum with their mouths open.

Haha *nom* * nom* I know what you mean. :D

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Right before I was about to reverse barbell lunge 110 lbs today, a man came up to me and said "You want to slim down your legs, right? You should cycle instead. You would benefit more from that than this".

What? Do not critique my body if I haven't asked you to, do not talk to me before I'm about to unrack, do not assume I want to "slim down" and "tone" my thighs, and don't tell me to stop lifting and go cycle. So mad.
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,771 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Right before I was about to reverse barbell lunge 110 lbs today, a man came up to me and said "You want to slim down your legs, right? You should cycle instead. You would benefit more from that than this".

What? Do not critique my body if I haven't asked you to, do not talk to me before I'm about to unrack, do not assume I want to "slim down" and "tone" my thighs, and don't tell me to stop lifting and go cycle. So mad.

give the guy a break, he just fancied you :D
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

give the guy a break, he just fancied you :D

excuse me? If a man fancies me he can ask for my number, not tell me how to get less fat by giving me wrong information when I didn't even ask for it.
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Options
    :| i was kidding, he shouldnt have said anything. If it were me, i'd have just watched the lunges
  • MrsGreen140
    MrsGreen140 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When people don't wipe sweat off of equipment. YUCK
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Girls who come in with full (and heavy) faces of makeup & people who bring beach/bath towels (usually ratty with mysterious stains)... just to walk on the treadmill.

Feels petty to say that however!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    emrose347 wrote: »
    Ppl that run holding onto the tredmills

I've seen this complaint a number of times, and I don't understand it at all. Maybe they have poor balance? Anyhow, why do you care?
    KateTii wrote: »
    Girls who come in with full (and heavy) faces of makeup & people who bring beach/bath towels (usually ratty with mysterious stains)... just to walk on the treadmill.

I also don't get this one. Am I the only person who goes to the gym right after work?
  • mjgrin
    mjgrin Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    The guy who always has to make a show about how much he can lift and anyone in a ten foot vicinity has to know before he can start. He usually grunts and makes a big show about it too.
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,763 Member
    Options
    When people don't appreciate how much I can lift or the grunts I use to let people know there is heavy lifting going on over here.
  • alastria
    alastria Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't know what kind of gyms you guys all go to...complaining about people talking "too much", hogging machines, running in the gym, running too much, running too little, about being stared at, grunting, the guy who wears hair gel, "complaining" about being stared at, about the guy lifting too much weight, too little weight, about people sweating too much and it goes on. I must be the luckiest person in the world because I'm just glad I even have the privileged to go to the gym.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    In my defense, I alway pick a particular treadmill at one YMCA because of it's location under the fan - even if it means it's next to another person! At another YMCA, I pick the treadmill that doesn't have one of those TVs attached to it (there are only 2) - when I run the treadmill bounces so much, I fear the TV will fall off! So sometimes it seems as though I'm deliberatly picking a treadmill next to someone when there are so many available, but I'm really not trying to creep you out - I promise! :)

Also, how do you know if you stink? I've been worried about that lately - I sweat a lot when I run and I'm worried I might stink... I think people are generally too polite to tell someone they stink when they workout.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    alastria wrote: »
    Don't know what kind of gyms you guys all go to...complaining about people talking "too much", hogging machines, running in the gym, running too much, running too little, about being stared at, grunting, the guy who wears hair gel, "complaining" about being stared at, about the guy lifting too much weight, too little weight, about people sweating too much and it goes on. I must be the luckiest person in the world because I'm just glad I even have the privileged to go to the gym.

<3
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I don't think most of this stuff seriously drives folks crazy. They're just bringing it up because they were asked.
  • therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the stair machine and someone gets on the treadmill right beside me..especially when there are at least 30+ open. I'm about to unintentionally sweat all over you. Sorry. o:)
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Options
    dudes that complement your jigglestick...just not the done thing. wtf
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Haven't noticed anything that particularly bugs me at my gym. I guess it's kind of annoying when people stare. I don't know why they stare... but sometimes they do. Especially when I get on a cardio machine directly beside someone (it's usually because it is the only one of that type not being used) and that person beside me keeps looking at me like they don't want anyone beside them lol.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I went to the gym today and a guy would leave his water bottle and his fonky towel on the weight bench so no one else would use it. He would then wander off into the machine weight area but wanted to make sure "HIS" bench was waiting on him when he got back.
  • skaffle
    skaffle Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I don't like about the gym is when people grunt or make loud noises while lifting. When I deadlift 20lb dumbbells I never make a sound, so there's really no excuse for anyone else.

I also hate it when people sweat at the gym. If you're sweating while working out, then you're doing something wrong. None of the other cyborgs sweat, so you obviously need to get fixed.

Oh and another thing I hate at the gym is when people go with their freinds and they talk and laugh and stuff like that. It's just disrespectful, honestly. When you go to the gym it's time to workout and be serious not joke around and have fun.

And another thing I hate at the gym is when people wear too much perfume/cologne, but I also hate it when they stink. Basically I just hate it when people are close enough to me that I can smell them, whether the scent is good or bad is irrelevant.

I hate it when I'm out in public and people look at me, but especially when I'm at the gym. The first thing I learned in my Self Defense ("How to Identify Sexual Predators") 103 class was that you NEVER make eye contact with strangers in public. Creepers seriously need to learn how to stare at the ground like decent, normal people do.

I hate seeing people at the gym wearing tank tops or short shorts or jeans or yoga pants or weight belts or hair gel or makeup or shoes. SOOoo annoying.

But yeah, that's pretty much it. That's the one thing that bothers me at the gym.