20 pounds by Easter challenge

Options

Replies

• tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That's good Becky.
    <3 You have to eat to lose. That's the mistake we make..eating below the BMR and netting so few calories. The body adjusts itself down to that level..it's called homeostasis , I think.
    What are your macros set to?
    Connie, it feels really strange to be full with three meals and two snacks! My macros are Carbs 30%, Protein and fats 35% each.

Janice, Perhaps we can both be down a similar 20 lbs by Thanksgiving, too! :-)

Becky
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    Becky-That would be great if we both were down 20 lbs in 20 weeks by Thanksgiving . I am glad you posted your macros to get an idea of what the traiber put you on. I am going to try what I changed earlier for a few days and see how close I am to them. If still off I will try the 30 carbs, 35 fats and proteins. I have put 40 fats and 30 proteins and 30 carbs, I probably have to much fat. We'll see how it goes.

I had cod fish for lunch we made at home last night, my husband fried it in a batter I found on the web, it was not a heavy batter that was thick after cooked on the fish and not greasy. It was cooked in vegetable oil, but most of it was left in the pan after it was cooked, I wish I would have measured the oil before and after just to see how much was actually used. The last time I had fish it was broiled with no breading and it was very good and less calories, at a restaurant. I love fish but I dont eat it as much as I'd like. Not real experienced in cooking fresh fish. I guess I just need to buy it more. But my house smells fishy.
    My husband just got home and said that it did. Anyway has anyone cooked anything good and low in calorie for dinner? Please share some ideas, I'm tired of everything right now I make. Gotfa run Janice
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,

I am still boating, we arrived at another port around 2:30 today. I did get to the pool but they were having pool filter
    problems so we couldn't use it. Came back to the boat and just chillin now. We will BBQ for dinner tonight.
    We did experience a thunderstorm at the other port we were at yesterday. We had dinner with my daughter last night and a nice visit. I guess we will be here until Thursday or Friday and then heading home.

Keep up the good work!

Shirley
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Where is our friend Rachel. Pretty busy about the new house. I suppose So glad you have got the ball rolling
    best of luck getting it all tied up.
    Marie
  • slw19
    slw19 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    hi all,

good day today, definitely in the 140's, hopefully here to stay!!

becky, it will definitely work, high protein, lower carb and not a whole lot of sugar. the fat will keep you satisfied:) can't wait to see the results!!

connie, when do you start to cut? agree about eating too little and exercising too much, the body starts to shut off. really great what you are doing!

marie, what was for dinner?

Janice, sounds like that is a lot of fat. definitely need to eat fat to lose fat:) my nutrition person says 40% protein and 30% carb and fat. some days I am still low on the fat. when I eat the right amounts, it works:)

Stephanie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    steph. I just had a bowl of old fashion oatcmeal I did not have anything prepare and did not want to cook. And I did not like it. It was not creamy at all. I will fix steel cut oats in the morning for I know it is creamy I really love those instant oatmeal but they all have sugar in them I know I have cook these before and like them. Maybe it was the brand. For lunch I had peanut butter and banana mash up and spread 2 tostada I really was not hungry today..
    Great on your weight.
    Amybody seen nancy today?

Marie
  • tenpets
    Options
    Good morning! Well, today I am a little sore and I'm so pleased about that! Haven't been sore from exercising in 1.5 years (don't judge! LOL). My first day on Tuesday we did legs. Not sore yesterday am. However, last night I did chest and HIIT on the bike and whoa I am feeling that. My legs were really achy painful (not muscle soreness) at the ankle and behind the knee last night and I needed some NSAIDs. I told the trainers that although I haven't officially exercised in a while, I am very active gardening, moving large stones for the pond, raking stones, etc. I think they may have interpreted that as let's start at a more advanced level. I should have kept my mouth shut! LOL Plus, they saw I had excellent form and thought it meant I was more advanced than I am.

For the chest press, he started at 45 lb for the first set, then went to 65 lb! OUCH! I asked to go back down a bit as I felt it would lead to a shoulder ligament tear with my muscle strength not being at a good level for that kind of weight yet. For the bike, I had to do 10 minutes of 20 seconds at greater than 110 RPM and then 40 seconds at 60 RPM . At first the seat wasn't far enough forward and I felt my legs hyperextending a bit. I think that's what led to the behind the knee pain. He adjusted the seat after the first 4 of 10 rounds and it was much better and I was able to peddle much faster in the high intensity portions.

I met my metabolic coach Joi. She is really nice and super excited and supportive to see me succeed. I suppose it's very rewarding for them to help a fluffy person become less fluffy. :-P I told her how stuffed I felt eating so much food and that I was really scared it will lead to a big gain in a week. She said not to worry and that it won't. She said fueling my BMR and TDEE will heal the metabolism and allow my body to finally let go of the excess fat. As a nurse, I "know" this, but as a lifelong yo-yo dieter it's REALLY hard to wrap my head around for ME.

Right now, I have two full days of meals. I think I'll call Joi today and add another day. I will do that again over the next few days until I have 7 full days of meals for variety. My husband would lose his mind if he had to eat the same protein every other day. We really like eating the same things at dinner.

My breakfast had over 42 grams of protein in two pieces of P28 toast and 1 TBS of P28 peanut butter! The bread had great flavor, but the ultra chewy texture at the end of chewing will take a little getting used to.

I am off today, so I plan to try the yoga DVDs I bought a while ago to see which my hubby would like to do with me in the evenings I am not with the trainer. It's going to be another hot humid day here in MD.

Stay cool and enjoy your Thursday!

Becky
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Good morning, misfit losers! Happy Thursday!

B) Marie.. I just had oatmeal and an egg white omelet. I use old fashioned oats( 1/2 cup) mixed with 1/4 cup or so of water and microwave until it does not boil over. I put stevia, cinnamon, and blueberries in it. Yum! I tried the steel cut and did not care for the texture.

B) Steph.. I will begin my cut August 3. I have been eating an average of 2200-2400 cals and have gained 3.6 pounds in 6 weeks. Will keep it here because my weight is stable..no movement for nearly a week. Pants are very loose.

B) Becky...my first few days of strength training were grueling, too. I remember having to "ease" my body down to sit after my first few times of doing squats!! It's amazing how many muscles are not being used in our bodies! You are stronger than I was, though, I could not start with 45 lb on a chest press! Do not hesitate to tell them what you're not comfortable doing. My biggest fear was hurting myself and not being able to do anything! The yoga stretch will be good for helping with muscle knots. BTW..it was hard for me to wrap my head around eating more, too, but to continue eating less was not the answer.

B) Shirley.. I wish I could travel like you..we are homebodies! We do go out on my husband's pontoon boat, though.

B) Janice..I like fish, too, and usually season it, wrap in foil and bake. I don't fry anything. If hubs wants something fried, he has to go out to get it.

B) Rachel..where are you, kiddo???

Rest day for me, 100 degree day, got errands to run...better get started!

Make it a great day, losers!
    Connie
  • slw19
    slw19 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    good morning!!
    I guess oatmeal is he choice of the day! I use old fashioned oats but I put 1 cup of water in, mix a little sugar free syrup. I also had 6 egg whites or 1 cup of egg whites for protein. I feel good and satisfied. I am taking a spin class soon so this will help me get through.

marie, hope your appetite is back today:)

becky, sounds like you are off and running! there is no way you are gaining weight from what is on your log, it is all really good and well portioned food. I know it feels like a lot but it won't soon. difference is when we eat junk it is loaded with cals, sugar and sodium. when you eat healthy, you get to eat more, bonus!! in terms of the training, well, it will take you a couple weeks not to be sore. I remember my legs were so sore, I could barely walk the stairs or sit on the toilet. they call it the good sore!

connie, so exciting!! I knew you were eating to little. I can't wait to see your progress! my nutritionist said you should be able to eat 10X your body weight in cals and still lose. I need to keep my consumption at 1480-1490 for now. does that sound right?

next weekend is visiting day at camp already. I am hoping to get letters from kids today, haven't heard from them in a bit but the camps post pics everyday and they look good:)

still in the 140's today and we know are eating out for the next3-4 nights, just need to make good choices!!

have a great day everyone!
    Stephanie

• CALIECAT
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Connie my kind of breakfast gluten free and sugar free I got the Kroger brand of old fashion oatmeal s The first time I used it. Will go back to Quaker oats. I am using Stevia too. now Walmart has come out with there brand of Stevai in the pkg. and in the liquor form carry the liquor in my purse to have on these restaurant stops We have very few of those though

this combination of sugar free and gluten free may be my answer . really to early to tell The book says you will lose a lb a day I don't believe that. But did have a drop of 1.7 this morning. I had peanut butter yesterday and it had refined Sugar in it so will be looking for sugar free. That is for this week.so far. and I have not been completely free of refined sugar yet I am learning though But have on my gluten. and the vegan hoping to remained completely clean today.my poor brain don't know what I am up to. keepin it mix up it confused

we are still below q100 but it is coming Possible next week We go to Garland , Texas this morning to pick up my hearing aids. had to send them back for repairs hope this is our last trip there.
    have a great day misfit
    Marie

• cristina0000
    cristina0000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I gained weight while on vacation :( I was already up 4 lbs before I left, then I returned home having gained an additional 4 lbs!! I'm officially where I began at Easter.

So now I have to work at loosing the 8 lbs that I gained plus continue to move towards my goal weight. I now have 28 lbs to loose to get there!! I joined a Kickboxing gym, hopefully that helps me to drop that I gained back quickly. Its so irritating to have to loose the same weight over again!!

I gotta get focused now :neutral:
  • tenpets
    Options
    Good morning! I gained weight while on vacation :( I was already up 4 lbs before I left, then I returned home having gained an additional 4 lbs!! I'm officially where I began at Easter.

So now I have to work at loosing the 8 lbs that I gained plus continue to move towards my goal weight. I now have 28 lbs to loose to get there!! I joined a Kickboxing gym, hopefully that helps me to drop that I gained back quickly. Its so irritating to have to loose the same weight over again!!

I gotta get focused now :neutral:
    Cristina,

You are not alone. I regained what I had lost on the Easter challenge during the fourth challenge. BUT, here we are today and we begin again in earnest. I'm sure the kickboxing will burn tons of calories for you. I am excited and terrified to weigh in next Tuesday (my weigh day for my new personal trainer). If there is a loss or no gain, I will be thrilled with all this food I am eating on their plan. However, if I see a gain I will have to really work hard not to want to jump ship and go back to eating less. I need to stick this out no matter what as what I've done up to this point this year has not resulted in weight or inches lost or increased strength. Such a mental challenge!!!

Hang in there, friend. We're all right there with you. <3

Becky
  • tenpets
    edited July 2015
    Options
    BTW, my 4 oz of baked russett potato with 1TBS of butter and 2TBS of real sour cream was divine. I was shocked when my trainer put this into my plan as ok. My shocked response made him laugh. He replied, "Of course you can have real food on this plan. That's why we call it a new lifestyle and not a diet." :-) I just might love this new way of eating!! Yum

Becky
  • CALIECAT
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cristina it is strange that we can gain so fast and lose so slowly. Not fair. But you will conquer It. Don't ever gives up.

Becky that's sounds great. Eating real foods is the way to go
    Marie
  • eyegirl777va
    eyegirl777va Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Misfits,
    Well I am still dealing with trying to lose the weight I gained when visiting my sister.
    I am at 144 lbs. now and here we go gaining and losing the same weight!!!! Disgusting!!!
    So glad I can vent with my friends who have been thru the same thing.
    Happy to see some of you are getting your plan together and I so hope it works for you.
    Not sure what I need to do. I don't know if there are trainers in my area.
    I googled and nothing came up. I hate to invest more into that kind of help but maybe I
    need to consider it. I was seeing a nutritionist for about a year befor joining MFP in January.
    She had me on the Mediterranean Diet and I didn't lose anything. Just frustrated!!!!
    Nancy
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Steph..yes, 10 x my body weight seems to be approximately right for maintenance for me. But we MUST eat back some or all of the exercise calories! If you are burning 500 and you are eating 1400 that equals 900 for the day...not enough! Fuel those workouts!!

Cristina..hang in, join us in the boat, and we can stay afloat!

Becky..eating real food is such a treat. I love these people you are working with (what's the company name?)...they are giving you the right info. I will never, ever go back to eating under my BMR! If I had listened to my trainer, I would have started with the 1850 she suggested using the online calculators...but noooooooo, I had to be hardheaded at eat at 1200! I know you will stay with this..when you are tempted to go astray...think about the MONEY...that always works for me!

Marie..I use Quaker.
    Nancy...good to see you! Do you have a Gold's gym in the area?

Connie
  • cristina0000
    Options
    Thank you so much for being encouraging! I am trying not to let my disappointment make me stop trying to reach my goal.

It's hard but I'm definitely putting in effort to get there, this is just a BIG setback!!

• eyegirl777va
    eyegirl777va Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Connie, We don't have a Gold's gym in my area.
    Nancy
  • cristina0000
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This was taken 4 July 2015, I'm on the left.

c9e3qfqf0ik6.jpg

These were taken 8 Dec 2014

2no81nohitqv.jpg
    g0mr2xtr2enk.jpg

Gotta stay motivated to continue what I started!!
  • cristina0000
    Options
    Wow!! My pics that I posted look so BIG on my computer. I posted on my cell and they looked much better there!