Couch to 5k...start today?

Options

Replies

• kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I finished W1D3 on Thursday afternoon--felt great! I can't wait to start next week! It's so hard not to want to do more or skip ahead. I just want to see some results already! I think I'll weigh in for the week a day early (tomorrow morning). That way I'll see how much holiday food I can it.

(P.S. My mom is killing me--making cheesecake, and ranch dip. I should just get a Tablespoon measuring spoon out of her drawer and dish out my food with that. Ok, maybe the 1/4 cup and not the tablespoon. Haha)
  • kbrob14
    kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Week one complete! Today felt harder for some reason, but my body is very tired today! I think I am going to try doing yoga on my off days to maybe help loosen up and see if that helps at all! I'm nervous for week 2 but If i can't do it, I'll slow down! Everyone is doing so great! I love this group so glad I found it! :) Keep up the awesome work everyone!!!
  • kate2004rock
    Options
    When is it running and not jogging?

That's a really good question. I think it depends on the person---

I've been doing C25K on the treadmill -- 3.4/3.5 for walking and 5.5 for Running/Jog. 5.5 for me is a happy medium--steady jogging but a slow running pace. (Does that make sense!?)
  • kate2004rock
    Options

I think week 3 is gonna be hard for me, week 2 seems easy peasy what with 90 sec jogging 2 minutes walking (unless I'm looking at the wrong place?!)

The first half of the session (between warm up and cool-downs) is 1:30 running and 1:00 walking and the last half is the 2:00 walks.

I'm not convinced about 2:00 walks towards the end. I really like to push myself at the end--I was running 2:00 at the end on Days 2 and 3 also--so I feel like 2:00 walks on the end are anticlimactic. Any thoughts on just moving the 2:00 walks to the beginning and 1:00 to the end?
  • goldenraisin214
    goldenraisin214 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    started on Monday--the podrunner programs (music intervals) are helpful because you just keep pace with the beat, instead of a voice command...
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options

6) I loved the NHS Choices podcasts (http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx) on my mp3 player. The gal has a great British accent -- and that would be sufficient for me to enjoy listening -- but she also provides tips and encouragement, along with the walk/run cues.

Thanks so much for posting this link. I started the program last week so started week 2 today and thought the podcast was great.

I just wanted to mention again how great I think the podcast is. The first week I used a stop watch to time my jogging/walking portions. I just completed the second week using the podcast. I didn't even wear a watch so I wouldn't be tempted to sneak a peak. I found the run more enjoyable the second week. The first week I was busy concentrating on the time, but the second week I could concentrate more on the jogging and not worry about the time. Definitely will be using it for the rest of the program.

Hope everyone who started at the beginning of this week had great success and good runs.
  • Ping_A1C2U
    Ping_A1C2U Posts: 91
    Options
    Week one complete, day 3 was a little easier than day 2. Thanks for all the encouragement. =)
    481471 Posts: 95
    Options
    Whoo! Week 1 completed today!
    as someone else mentioned, so hard not to go out there and do the next step the next day, but as i have never really run before, just the horror stories about shin splints are enough to stop me from going OTT.
    I am looking forward to seeing how i cope with week 2,. kinda nervous!!
  • phillytle
    phillytle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I finished W1D3 on Friday. Day 3 was easier than Day 2. I am a little nervous about Week 2.
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I started week 2 day 1 today. Only because the next two days, it's supposed to be 90 degrees here, and even spiking to 80 in the morning and night... so I figured I'd knock out day 1 today. Maybe go on the treadmill on Tuesday.

I learned my lesson to eat a good breakfast before running. Today I just had some of my roommate's eggo waffle french toast things (I'm a college student in an apartment), and then working out was SO MUCH HARDER today. Usually I'll eat some whole grain cereal, or a big breakfast consisting of egg whites, a whole wheat bagel and some whipped cream cheese and maybe some fruit. And when I eat those sorts of breakfasts, working out is a lot easier!
    But I got through it today. It's only 30 more seconds of running than normal.. and for me it was a LOT harder, but I really think it had to do with the bad breakfast.

Good luck on week 2 everyone!!
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've only done week 1 so far and I'm using my Polar FT7.
    Once I start running my heart rate goes over 90% of my max, and even while walking it doesn't drop below 80% until I'm done. Should I be concerned about this?
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Week One: Check!
    I'm exhausted, but at the same time I feel amazing! This is a great kind of tired!
  • javamom47
    javamom47 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am up to starting on Monday. I will try to down load the app.
  • kbrob14
    kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I felt the exact same way! Congrats on making it through week 1!
    Week One: Check!
    I'm exhausted, but at the same time I feel amazing! This is a great kind of tired!
  • phillytle
    phillytle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    W2D1 done and I feel great. The last few minutes were pretty rough, but I pushed through.
  • dontstopnow
    dontstopnow Posts: 152
    Options
    hopefully everybody is having a good weekend. i'm starting week 2 tomorrow morning! i'm excited, but a little nervous at the same time.
  • NZhogiebear
    NZhogiebear Posts: 84
    Options
    Well W2 D1 done and dusted, felt a bit harder, but i am so happy that i finshed it, 6 months ago i would of given up about half way through, i have so much more determination and will power now :D

Hope you guys are ahving great week, keep up the good work!!!
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I started today, I did prob about 80% hope to do better
    tues
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    W1D3 finally done today. I was supposed to finish it Friday but ended up leaving town and didn't want to workout outside somewhere that I wasn't used to. It kind of threw my schedule off but it's done! Going to start week 2 tomorrow so I can get back on my schedule. Good luck all you week 2-er's!
  • SuzieR
    SuzieR Posts: 127
    Options
    Would it be ok if I joined this group? I've just done W1D1 yesterday ... I kind of joined another group on here but it's very quiet!

I'm doing it with my 12 year old daughter who puts me to shame! I was exhausted yesterday and only managed to jog the full 60 seconds once! Back out tomorrow and hoping to do better ... I think I might have to do week 1 twice!

(I'm doing the 30 day shred at the same time as this ... hope I'm not doing too much!)