From a size 20 to a size 8 with strength training, in one year! PICS!

Replies

• SuzieBWorkin
    SuzieBWorkin Posts: 10 Member
    You look amazing. I am about 135 lbs and I do not look nearly that good. Was strength training the secret?
  • mscattness
    mscattness Posts: 2 Member
    You look amazing! How did you get your arms and thighs so small? Advice please. Total motivation.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Just wanted to say congratulations on such an amazing transformation! Your hard work is paying big dividends for your health and look great (fit, strong & healthy). Thanks for sharing your journey and inspiring others to keep at theirs.
  • victoriaamarie1330
    victoriaamarie1330 Posts: 39 Member
    Absolutely amazing job!
  • Sinnister78
    Sinnister78 Posts: 134 Member
    Damn! I hope to get that fit again. Awesome Job!
  • GenElizabeth
    GenElizabeth Posts: 291 Member
    Thanks guys. :smile:

And yes!!! The answer is strength training. I encourage those who are interested in starting, to just go for it! Anyone can do this, there really is no secret. :wink:

For more motivation and info, you can visit me at my new fitness page on FB! Hopefully it helps to inspire you all to become what you've always wanted to be too. Happy hump day! :heart:
    https://www.facebook.com/genelizabethfitness

• momamia3
    momamia3 Posts: 53 Member
    momamia3 wrote: »
    momamia3 wrote: »
    Hello. I read almost every comment on this post... and I agree you are one dedicated lady.. I have been struggling my whole life. at 32 I am the heaviest I have ever been. .. I have to get in shape . I am 5'3" 1/2 and 225lbs... I am a mom of 2 boys. .. how did you change ur will power and stay motivated .. .I know I am the only one who can change my habits. .... I took before picture and was shocked .that should b more then enough to keep me on track this time.

I feel for you because I was close to where you are now, minus 20lbs.. You just have to go for it and not look back!

I have my daughter but I also had a son. He was 10 years old when he suddenly passed in 2010. Sometimes, the deeper the pain, the more fight there is in us. I encourage you to do this for yourself and for your 2 boys who are here with you. We don't want to waste our lives away in a depression and somber day after the next.

You have it in you, you just have to dig deep and make up your mind that you want this, that you CAN do it and that you WILL do it. :heart:
    Wow. I am so sorry for ur loss .. I couldn't imagine how hard that would be.... my oldest son is almost 9... u must truly b a strong woman.. and again great job on the weightloss. And it's people like u who will inspire many other to believe in themselves. ....I will be having a look at the u tube links below .....
    thanks so much.

Thank you. My faith is what makes me strong. :heart:

I hope you enjoy the videos, hope to have the next one posted this weekend. Will be on what I eat and what I feel helped me in regards to my dieting plan for the first year. :smile:

Hello again... I watched videos again and finally get my self up with a new routine. I used ur excersises added in some abs and tredmill hitt as well . And I felt great. I was dripping in sweat..lol.. thats a good sign... . My boys even worked out with me.. walking on tredmill mill. It was soo cute....
    thanks again for videos . I am looking forward to seeing the types of foods u eat. More ideas the better for me.....
  • 1mototh
    1mototh Posts: 11 Member
    SweetAzn wrote: »
    You look amazing! May I ask what a typical strength training workout looks like?
    Yes I would like to know. Also did u strength train while you were at your heaviest?
  • JulieFarah4
    JulieFarah4 Posts: 5 Member
    Congratulations on your weight-loss you look fantastic! I'm in the same boat as you are I need to lose 50 pounds or more I would love to hear how you did it and how you finally got the courage to do it.
  • GenElizabeth
    1mototh wrote: »
    SweetAzn wrote: »
    You look amazing! May I ask what a typical strength training workout looks like?
    Yes I would like to know. Also did u strength train while you were at your heaviest?

I did do strength training at home, when I was at my heaviest, I started it from the very beginning! :smile:

I did tons of squats, step ups, bridges and over head presses, curls and tricep exts at usually 3 sets of 10 reps, with little to no rest between sets. I have made some videos to show you guys the exercise routines I did for the most part as well as a little on my calories and macros too. I hope you will find the videos helpful. Here is the one specifically on my routine, keep in mind, I started with just 5lb dumbbells and increased the weight over time to what you see. I got creative with my limited equipment, to keep progressing and keep it fun. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF5QIMq-Uzc
  • GenElizabeth
    edited July 2015
    Congratulations on your weight-loss you look fantastic! I'm in the same boat as you are I need to lose 50 pounds or more I would love to hear how you did it and how you finally got the courage to do it.

Thank you. :blush: I just got to a point in my life where I was SICK of being unhappy. I knew if I were to continue on in this life, I needed to make a change or I was going to fall deeper into depression, eventually allowing it to consume me.

Have a look at this video I made, to help explain how I got through it and finally started to make the change. Making these videos helps me to express my thoughts, as I am extremely shy. :open_mouth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwYLmW6a89I
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Gen, loved your video! Thank you for sharing your personal journey. I needed to see that today.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    First off I want to tell you I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. I couldn't even begin to imagine the pain.

Second, congratulations on the new you! You not only look amazing, but you are a much healthier version of you. I can only hope someday I look as great as you do. :smile:

I started lifting (StrongLifts 5X5) over a year ago but unfortunately I had to stop for multiple reasons. I started up again last week just lifting light (started at 30lbs except deadlifts I started at 80lbs) and I feel so much better, although sore! I can never do a squat right though. It drives me insane. I am still working on them, but I have a feeling I am still not doing them right as my back end is never sore. I have been trying to squeeze my glutes while working out so hopefully this helps. I even went so far last year to join the gym and hire a PT but they were useless. First they (3 different trainers!) try to talk me out of lifting heavy and do lighter weight more reps, ugggg so annoying, then what he said for squat form went against things I have read here and online for squat form. So I started adding in your weighted step ups and glute bridges hoping to work those muscles even more! If you have any tips on squats I would love to hear them! I have walked on my toes since I could walk and have a hard time squatting low without lifting my heels and in order not to my feet have to be pointed way out. I still seem to tip forward a bit. They are my favourite besides deadlift and I can't even do them right lol.

Take care!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Care76 wrote: »
    If you have any tips on squats I would love to hear them! I have walked on my toes since I could walk and have a hard time squatting low without lifting my heels and in order not to my feet have to be pointed way out. I still seem to tip forward a bit. They are my favourite besides deadlift and I can't even do them right lol.

Take care!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/911984/form-critique-thread-post-your-videos-here
  • tbpmtb
    tbpmtb Posts: 6 Member
    That is such an inspiring story. I have loved reading about your transformation. No gimmicks, just hard work and determination. I have a question for you. Is there a nutritional formula for weight loss based on your current state and goals? I noticed that you consumed 1200-1300 calories per day, with the following breakdowns: Carbs: 100-120 gr; Protein: 100 gr, Fiber 25 gr. But is there a percentage suggestion based on your weight and goals? Also what about Fat grams?
  • skinnyb05
    skinnyb05 Posts: 87 Member
    Awesome!! Very inspiring, thank you for sharing your story. I too am 5'3" and wish I were 33 :smile: !!! Love your attitude. You are gorgeous.
  • tretoptreece
    tretoptreece Posts: 425 Member
    Ok two things, those legs are ahhhhhmazing!!! And your lashes! What mascara are you using in your after shots!? Beautiful and congrats!!!
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    wonderful!
  • tottie3912
    tottie3912 Posts: 48 Member
    My hero. THIS is why I lift. Can't wait for the awesome results!
  • Mita19
    Mita19 Posts: 43 Member
    Awesome !!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!