Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I have never had Key Lime Pie. Is it at all like a lemon tart? I really love lemon tart.

It's similar, but better, in my opinon! I love key lime pie!! Very tart and delicious, but only really good if it's truly Key Lime pie... not just "lime pie."

I've never tasted it, and I admit that it sounds very intriguing... But I don't really like lemon-flavored desserts, so I'm not sure why!

Confession: I just made the peanut butter/sugar/egg cookies that @kelly_c_77, @Italian_Buju, and @Tubbs216 kept going on and on about, because I couldn't get the idea of trying them out of my brain, since they sounded so strange and yet they kept saying how good they were. I sprinkled them with brown sugar, too.

My husband is sighing and shaking his head at me--I can't say I blame him. :|

Did you love them?

I am gonna have to try those chocolate chip cheesecake bars one day, those sound wonderful!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Do any of the wonderful Canadians on here who enjoy mystery/detective novels read Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? She's a Canadian author whose novels are set in Canada. Anyhow, I love them. I'm very excited that her newest book in the series will be released on my birthday next month!!

Confession - I'm worried that setting a goal weight will mean that I'll rest on my laurels once I get there, setting me up for gaining it back. I need to change my mind set away from having an "end goal" because then the process is over....and I tend to sprint to the finish, if that makes sense. Like go all out to get to that goal weight, especially now that it's within reach, and then have a let down once I'm there. @pofoster21 How did you handle this? Maybe if I keep setting goals for myself re: fitness challenges or hikes or bike rides, that'll keep me focused on continually improving overall (instead of being weight-focused). Anyone else have tips?

I track continuously. I have a spreadsheet that I use that I I have been maintaining with my sister (who isn't losing) and my friend's husband (who lost but has been slipping) where I track weight and steps. My consistent 'goal' has been 125 (secretly 115). I got to 125 and track carefully against that. I did just go down to 120 because I have now gotten to 121.6 (for the last 3 days and a few weeks ago). So now I am trying for 120. I admit 115 is too thin for me. I made it there once before but couldn't maintain it (I was 23 and starving myself basically). I have never been this thin for any period of time eating well. So...my goal is to stay on that line or that goal weight, make my steps, not drink. I slip on all of them but only for a day or so. When I get above that goal line for any period of time I start to freak and get myself back on track. I am going to try and forward the tracking sheets off my ipad (in work email) to my personal email, then I will try and post them so you can see.

I also finally started exercising again (as you all know) more than just walking, upped my daily walking goal, etc. Basically, setting new goals does help. And being committed in the fitbit thread helps... publishing my weight to my sister/friend's husband/goals in thread all hold me accountable.

Okay let me see if I can post these. Please don't judge me on my 'red' alcohol days. :)

Nope says this isn't allowed. I guess because its excel? I wonder if I can somehow make it a picture. I'll try and figure it out...

Screenshot. :) FN + PRTSC on most computers. Paste into Paint, and save as a picture.

ETA: Remember, no judgement! We wouldn't. ;)
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Ok, new Raelynn update!

I finally got a call back from Help Me Grow (program through United Way), and the lady was so helpful! She did suggest that I call our county mental health center to see if we could possibly get some kind of counseling for her, and she will also be looking for some occupational therapy offices for us that may not be so much of a financial burden until we can get Medicaid going. She's going to be emailing me that information sometime tomorrow so that hubby and I can see what would work best. She also told me about Family Connections which is some kind of network/program for special needs children and their families, so that if we needed some support or to see if we could connect with another family that has a child with the same disorders as Raelynn for support and help with everything. I've got to call about the counseling tomorrow, and I have to call the doctor and give an update as well, so tomorrow should *hopefully* be a productive day.

I feel for hubby though, this is all getting to him so much. He's so afraid that she's not going to be able to have a "normal" life, and that's the only thing he wants for her. It goes without saying that I want her to have as much of a "normal" life as possible, but it's so scary when there's so many unknowns and we don't know what will happen. I'm trying to stay positive and optimistic about things, but it's overwhelming at times.

I feel for you and your family so much. :( I truly hope that this will turn out to be a positive thing for you!
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Do any of the wonderful Canadians on here who enjoy mystery/detective novels read Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? She's a Canadian author whose novels are set in Canada. Anyhow, I love them. I'm very excited that her newest book in the series will be released on my birthday next month!!

Confession - I'm worried that setting a goal weight will mean that I'll rest on my laurels once I get there, setting me up for gaining it back. I need to change my mind set away from having an "end goal" because then the process is over....and I tend to sprint to the finish, if that makes sense. Like go all out to get to that goal weight, especially now that it's within reach, and then have a let down once I'm there. @pofoster21 How did you handle this? Maybe if I keep setting goals for myself re: fitness challenges or hikes or bike rides, that'll keep me focused on continually improving overall (instead of being weight-focused). Anyone else have tips?

I track continuously. I have a spreadsheet that I use that I I have been maintaining with my sister (who isn't losing) and my friend's husband (who lost but has been slipping) where I track weight and steps. My consistent 'goal' has been 125 (secretly 115). I got to 125 and track carefully against that. I did just go down to 120 because I have now gotten to 121.6 (for the last 3 days and a few weeks ago). So now I am trying for 120. I admit 115 is too thin for me. I made it there once before but couldn't maintain it (I was 23 and starving myself basically). I have never been this thin for any period of time eating well. So...my goal is to stay on that line or that goal weight, make my steps, not drink. I slip on all of them but only for a day or so. When I get above that goal line for any period of time I start to freak and get myself back on track. I am going to try and forward the tracking sheets off my ipad (in work email) to my personal email, then I will try and post them so you can see.

I also finally started exercising again (as you all know) more than just walking, upped my daily walking goal, etc. Basically, setting new goals does help. And being committed in the fitbit thread helps... publishing my weight to my sister/friend's husband/goals in thread all hold me accountable.

Okay let me see if I can post these. Please don't judge me on my 'red' alcohol days. :)

Nope says this isn't allowed. I guess because its excel? I wonder if I can somehow make it a picture. I'll try and figure it out...

Screenshot. :) FN + PRTSC on most computers. Paste into Paint, and save as a picture.

I was going to see if I could message it to her, as the functionality won't work like that. But I'll do that for the general thread.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    @raelynnsmama52512 That is exciting news!! I hope it all works out for you!

@raelynnsmama52512 Best wishes that the financing will come through for you!
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    @raelynnsmama52512 exciting. I hope it all works out well for you. That is a lot of moving pieces coming together. Best of luck in everything!

Thanks y'all! ❤️

Haven't found type original post yet but my brief app is over until l later so will add here best wishes and fingers crossed!
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    @riderfangal I can totally get behind some retail therapy! Better than going home and eating lots of high caloried food! (in my opinion so not trying to offend anyone, I obviously can't stop feeding myself haha)

I HATE shopping, hate it! I feel like its all I do sometimes. Yesterday I needed new pants for work, so while out running my errands I stopped in my usual clothing store, and was in and out with two pairs of pants in ten minutes. When I have to spend time trying stuff on or looking for something in particular, it drives me mad, I wish everything I needed was just bagged at the counter and I could just go in and pay and get out, lol. Today I have to go grocery shopping, which is the bane of my existence......ugh.

Well...we know I love clothes shopping. I am a master at Marshalls. I am a machine. I can buzz through that place in 30 min and walk out with great stuff. But again. Grocery shopping. Ick. When I move to Saudi Arabia Susie is going to take care of it for me. :)

Double grocery runs for me! Yay! ;)

And double cooking. I think you would be horrified at how I eat out and that my cupboard is all canned soup and protein bars and that my refrigerator is empty. If I remember I'll post a pic tonight to show you!

Okay as promised here are my refrigerator and my cabinet.

Hehehehehe! Oh man, so I don't think the cabinet is bad, but that is one sad fridge.
    Sad? I think you mean awesome! My fridge is full of old Chinese food, half eaten bits of cheese, empty orange juice cartons and a gigantic watermelon that I bought over a week ago and that nobody, inexplicably, is interested in eating. It needs a total empty and a really thorough cleaning, but I just can't bring myself to get motivated. I would LOVE to open it and find it suddenly looking like POF's fridge!

Mine is full of eggs, sliced turkey, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, cauliflower, three different types of cheese, whipping cream, fresh milk, butter, margarine, bread, diet soda... And both your fridge AND hers sound terrible. ;)

I haven't been grocery shopping since we got back from camping, I have some leftovers from the camping trip but we are in pretty dire straights... I need to get that sorted out and get myself back into a routine >.<

Sheesh. I feel like a freak. One fridge isn't enough for us. I have a second fridge in the garage, plus an upright freezer out there. We go through a TON of food. One example: Hubby grilled 6 lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs on Sunday for dinner. We each brought some for lunch, and they were gone before I got home from work yesterday. There are 3 of us.

I have a fridge that is always stuffed full....I would love to have another one....I do store things in a fridge in a meeting room downstairs at times...and I have a large chest freezer....and a walk in pantry.....always shopping, lol.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I have a coworker who can be quite snotty and apparently gets offended by smells. And I get it to a point, I also hate strong perfumes and the like. But she complained to me the other day about how "rude" it is that someone made popcorn. Not liking a smell is one thing. Saying someone is rude because of a food seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I brought popcorn for a snack today :naughty:

Who hates the smell of popcorn??!!!

That's what I was wondering!
    I have a coworker who can be quite snotty and apparently gets offended by smells. And I get it to a point, I also hate strong perfumes and the like. But she complained to me the other day about how "rude" it is that someone made popcorn. Not liking a smell is one thing. Saying someone is rude because of a food seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I brought popcorn for a snack today :naughty:

She would hate my office, we have one of those theatre-style poppers that our social committee uses once every couple months for charity fundraisers and stuff. We pop with coconut oil and that movie-theatre seasoning and It. Smells. Incredible.

Oooh, I would love that.

It's the easiest way to get people to donate to anything, by giving them popcorn in exchange for it. The lure of popcorn is strong in this office (well, food generally, but in what office isn't it?)

Confession: I think popcorn smells way better than it tastes. Like, I'll have a handful now and then but I can't remember the last time I had a bag of it for myself or actually purchased any.

I love to eat popcorn too, but you're right, sometimes the smell is better. I wonder if they make a popcorn scented candle...

I LOVE popcorn. But I rarely eat it anymore. Every time I do my weight is up the next day, even though I don't put butter or salt on it.

I live off popcorn at work. Specifically, CVS house brand called Gold Emblem, I think. It's soooo good and low cal, for popcorn. No weighing issues here.

Popcorn for the win. I eat a big bowl every night!!

I love LOVE L-O-V-E popcorn! I can't handle that microwave stuff though, I make hot air popped with real salted butter. Or popcorn from the movie theatre, I said this early in the thread, but I have been known to go there, buy a bag of popcorn and then come home and eat it.....

I make the air popped too. I use either margarine or baking spray depending on how many calories I have left and then use one of the many many popcorn seasonings I own. Have also tried taco seasoning on it which is also yummy.

Now for a confession. Hope I don't get kicked out of the group but I could take or leave ice cream or cookies for that matter and.....I have never eaten one of those protein bars you guys are always raving about.

Runs away and hides

Same with ice cream for me--that's why I can keep it in the house! It's not generally one of my "eat until you pop" foods. ;) But cookies... Cookies are magical. It does depend on the cookie, though--I'm very snobby about my cookies. :p

I've tried HALF of each of the available quest bars in Saudi Arabia. If I recall, there were six. Brownie, Cookie Dough, Cookies 'N Cream, Strawberry Cheesecake, Cinnamon Roll, and Peanut Butter Chocolate. I enjoyed most of them to some degree, although the cheesecake one wasn't at all cheesecakey--my husband and I split one of each bar. They were way, way to expensive for us to ever buy regularly, though (Almost four US dollars per BAR). Just not worth it. :)

We won't kick you out, promise! ;)
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Ok, new Raelynn update!

I finally got a call back from Help Me Grow (program through United Way), and the lady was so helpful! She did suggest that I call our county mental health center to see if we could possibly get some kind of counseling for her, and she will also be looking for some occupational therapy offices for us that may not be so much of a financial burden until we can get Medicaid going. She's going to be emailing me that information sometime tomorrow so that hubby and I can see what would work best. She also told me about Family Connections which is some kind of network/program for special needs children and their families, so that if we needed some support or to see if we could connect with another family that has a child with the same disorders as Raelynn for support and help with everything. I've got to call about the counseling tomorrow, and I have to call the doctor and give an update as well, so tomorrow should *hopefully* be a productive day.

I feel for hubby though, this is all getting to him so much. He's so afraid that she's not going to be able to have a "normal" life, and that's the only thing he wants for her. It goes without saying that I want her to have as much of a "normal" life as possible, but it's so scary when there's so many unknowns and we don't know what will happen. I'm trying to stay positive and optimistic about things, but it's overwhelming at times.

I feel for you and your family so much. :( I truly hope that this will turn out to be a positive thing for you!

I second this. Sending some hugs
  • Italian_Buju
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Last night my boyfriend commented on needing new deodorant, and I was surprised because I just bought him some last month. I told him so and he said ''Well... yeah, I need new deodorant every month.'' I told him that I buy deodorant maybe two or three times a year and we had to go look this up on the internet. People were saying their deodorant lasts anywhere from 1-6 months.

HOW LONG DOES YOURS LAST? I swear I can take 6 months to go through deodorant. I think I only buy it twice a year. A month seems outrageous to me. I'm not a very sweaty person, but my deodorant lasts me even after most workouts.

Every time I turn around, Mr. Mo needs deodorant again. I really don't get it. Am I not using enough because I only buy mine a few times a year too.
    Yeah I was suddenly wondering if I was the grossest person in the world or something... but I think I put on enough because I don't stink. Unless I've become so accustomed to my own stench that I no longer notice :neutral: Well... no one is running away from me in the street, so I think I'm good :lol:
    Last night my boyfriend commented on needing new deodorant, and I was surprised because I just bought him some last month. I told him so and he said ''Well... yeah, I need new deodorant every month.'' I told him that I buy deodorant maybe two or three times a year and we had to go look this up on the internet. People were saying their deodorant lasts anywhere from 1-6 months.

HOW LONG DOES YOURS LAST? I swear I can take 6 months to go through deodorant. I think I only buy it twice a year. A month seems outrageous to me. I'm not a very sweaty person, but my deodorant lasts me even after most workouts.

I'd say mine lasts about (roughly) two months, and same for my husband, and we use deodorant religiously. We both use a cream-based deodorant, as opposed to gel or aerosol. Maybe he just uses a lot of it at one time?

I think mine lasts about two months too, but I also think I might slather it on a bit. I'm not sure how long my husband's lasts because he's usually got two in his gym bag and one at his desk and one in his travel kit and one in the bathroom and I feel like I'm always replacing one of them. But he has a horror of running out after an incident a couple years ago when he had to borrow mine and smelled like "va-va-vanilla" or something equally dumb all day.
    :lol: That's hilarious. I have to say, though, I much prefer "feminine" scented things than the more "masculine" ones like Axe. My brother once dumped his bottle of cologne on me before we went to a fancy dinner. I wasn't happy. Not one bit :neutral: The only kind of Axe I ever liked the smell of belonged to my lesbian friend. I thought that was funny for some reason :lol: Told her she had way better taste than my brother.
    I use men's gel gillette lol

ETA: never thought to see how long it takes me, maybe a month or so? I usually have a dozen or more on hand of each of the kinds we all use (we each prefer a different one).
  • Oberon21
    Options

Okay, I could only get part of it in and be readable so let's see (and it hides the alcohol tracking). 15or9mn3p4ya.jpg
  • Oberon21
    Options
    okay now i'll catch part 2 hold on
  • Oberon21
    Options
    and this is the middle/part 2 of the tracking (weight/steps/red or green alcohol/red or green steps)cbjq1tbstd6x.jpg
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Ok, new Raelynn update!

Ok, new Raelynn update!

I second this. Sending some hugs

Aww, thanks! ❤️❤️ It's just hard seeing him tear up when we talk about things. I know it's hard on him, and I try to stay strong for both of them.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

I'd say mine lasts about (roughly) two months, and same for my husband, and we use deodorant religiously. We both use a cream-based deodorant, as opposed to gel or aerosol. Maybe he just uses a lot of it at one time?

I think mine lasts about two months too, but I also think I might slather it on a bit. I'm not sure how long my husband's lasts because he's usually got two in his gym bag and one at his desk and one in his travel kit and one in the bathroom and I feel like I'm always replacing one of them. But he has a horror of running out after an incident a couple years ago when he had to borrow mine and smelled like "va-va-vanilla" or something equally dumb all day.

Since I hoard hygiene supplies, this never happens. Both my husband and I have three extra... (containers? Sticks? Bars? What in the heck do you call the things?) deodorant thingies (technical term, of course), so neither of us will run out in the foreseeable future. ;)
    I like the sound of "deodorant thingies." :lol: I call them sticks! I should probably hoard some hygeine products... because I have had some incidents myself where I wanted to take a shower and there was no more shampoo... so I had to go to the store feeling gross. Blah.

My cabinet is full of extra shampoo, conditioner, body wash, cakes of soap, hand wash, toothbrushes, toothpaste, razors, lotions, leave-in spray hair conditioners, deodorant, toilet paper... I practically hoard the things. :p According to a few others in this thread, they're even worse and have 10+ of each item--I only have 2 or 3 extras each. ;)

*raises hand*
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    @pofoster21 I think that's really cool! I have an excel sheet as well, but I don't know how to make a graph. I track the things that my body fat scale tracks (while being fully aware that the accuracy is pretty much out the window), so I track weight, body fat percentage, skeletal muscle percentage, visceral fat, BMI, BMR, and body "age". I track these things weekly, every Monday. I also track measurements on a monthly basis, measuring on the first of each month.

I admit that I haven't updated the poor thing in months, though--not since I started struggling and slacking.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

Since I hoard hygiene supplies, this never happens. Both my husband and I have three extra... (containers? Sticks? Bars? What in the heck do you call the things?) deodorant thingies (technical term, of course), so neither of us will run out in the foreseeable future. ;)
    I like the sound of "deodorant thingies." :lol: I call them sticks! I should probably hoard some hygeine products... because I have had some incidents myself where I wanted to take a shower and there was no more shampoo... so I had to go to the store feeling gross. Blah.

My cabinet is full of extra shampoo, conditioner, body wash, cakes of soap, hand wash, toothbrushes, toothpaste, razors, lotions, leave-in spray hair conditioners, deodorant, toilet paper... I practically hoard the things. :p According to a few others in this thread, they're even worse and have 10+ of each item--I only have 2 or 3 extras each. ;)

*raises hand*

I knew one was you. :p I THINK (but I'm completely not sure) that @peleroja may have been the other one?
  • Oberon21
    Options
    and this is the middle/part 2 of the tracking (weight/steps/red or green alcohol/red or green steps)

The message function doesn't seem to allow attachments. So...if you want this spreadsheet, feel free to message me your email and I can send it... I do this every day. My sister and my friend's husband text me their stats, and I add them to the spreadsheet and send it back out to them.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    My husband bought soap for the first time in years recently. He has been using the bars we collected from hotel rooms while traveling. I get bottles of my favorite body wash for birthday/ Christmas gifts, so rarely have to buy any. (I make a very specific Christmas list for my mother-in-law and husband who are already shopping for gifts.)

He also only recently had to buy black pepper. Every time he goes to a fast food place, he takes extra pepper packets and adds them to the pepper shaker. We pretty much stopped eating fast food.
    Your husband is very quickly becoming my favorite person ever!!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    @kellyjellybellyjelly I love that you now have a profile pic!!!

Ditto!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    Ok, guys, I need some opinions please. I am leaving now to go for my test and run some errands, but obviously will check later when I am back.....when is it too soon to go knock on the ladies door and ask if she is alright? I have been thinking about her almost non stop, but I do not really know her more than a passing hello, and I am not sure if that would be creepy or not.....

Just my opinion but I would think the next day would be fine. I'd be happy knowing that someone cared enough about me to make sure I was okay.

I do hope that she and the baby are okay...

@Italian_Buju I think waiting a day or two would be good. If they had to deliver the baby early (which would've been necessary if her water broke), she may be dealing with grief if the baby was too early to make it. Just my opinion - give it at least one full day, if not 2. She may still be in the hospital if she had other complications, too. I am so glad you were able to be there for her when she needed it. Checking on her is a sweet, compassionate thing to do!

(My sister delivered twins at 30 weeks of pregnancy, which is very early. They both survived, but she had been in the hospital for a few weeks leading up to that, so had been given steroids to help the babies' lungs mature more quickly. I am familiar with the complications from early delivery/labor because I was very much involved with my sister's process.)

My youngest tried making his great escape starting at about 25 weeks. I seriously went in a few times for the Magnesium Sulfate/hospital stays until the contractions stopped and went home back on bed rest. I had a calendar and counted down the days that passed. They gave me the 2 doses of steroids, too. I cried every day and ALL I could think about was if he was ok. I have never been so scared in my life. I was in the hospital basically bi-weekly until he hit 37weeks2days and then the OB said "enough" and let him come.

They gave me the rundown on mortality rates at 25 weeks, 27, etc. and told me literally every day upped his odds like 1%. At 25 weeks, it was...not good. At one point, I was asked if I wanted to use the hospital chaplain or use one of my own for him for last rites. They throw so much at you, you're just in shellshock. I would give her some time bc 1) she's still in the hospital if in fact it was her water and not urine, and 2) if Heaven forbid something happened, she needs time to process it. The only thing that saved us was they think my water never broke. Had a few "leaks" but it turned out to be urine and then the last one it tested positive for amniotic fluid, but with bed rest/bed pan it stopped and they let me go until the 37 weeks.

Sorry you had to go through this but happy things turned out well for you!!!

It was the worst 12-ish weeks of my life, hands down... I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, and the worst part is it's hard to talk to people about it. Not many people relate and I still cry and feel my blood pressure go up when I think about it. I would talk to him and rub my belly and tell him to stay in there and that I was trying so hard to keep him safe... I still sometimes feel like I let him down because I just couldn't hold out another few weeks. He has a few problems from being early and the steroids they gave me for his lungs and it tears me up that *I* did something wrong. It would've been much, much worse if he had come even earlier, though, so I try to just be grateful for that.

You gave him life, and it did not come easy! You have nothing to feel guilty about!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Eve53 wrote: »
    Ok, I'll try to keep up. I got another confession though... I use mens shampoo/body wash at the gym because I can't find an all in one that is made for women, and don't want to be bothered with more than one bottle.

Also, I don't wear undies or a bra when I leave the gym because I don't want the trouble of trying to get them back on when I'm all spent from working out, lol.

I confess that this morning I got up at around 5:30 AM to get a shower & after putting Herbal Essence 2 in 1 in my hair I almost put body wash in my hair.

I also confess that some days I forget to wear deodorant to work.
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    @Tubbs216 don't worry about keeping up/responding just don't leave us!!!
    Aw, thank you. I'm not going anywhere - sometimes I get overwhelmed about trying to thoroughly read everything and respond to everyone.

Just do what you can...only us OCD folks need to read everything!

You know! Here I am, over on page 1244.....I have made a LOT of head way this weekend, but I am scared to go into the week behind!! I do have Tuesday night home alone though, I am gonna have to make sure I get all my steps in early so I can come home and hang out here for a few hours before bed, lol.

I know how you feel. I have about 2 days I am still not caught up on that I MUST read. It was my plan for tonight but a colicky horse stopped that. I didn't get home til after 11 and I was too tired to even go get my McDonald's ice cream for national ice cream day. I am allowing myself a rain check.

Like the horse cries out?

No, it means it has a tummy ache. Which can be from gas, an obstruction, a slowing down of the bowel function, etc. It can be deadly in horses, as their intestines can burst, they can have their intestines flip or if they roll (which they want to do when they are in pain) their intestines can get tangled. They sort of float as opposed to being anchored down like ours are with other organs, etc. and if they flip or get tangled, part of the intestine can die. And the horse then dies. Its pretty awful. You never take a colic in a horse lightly.

I know nothing about horses so sorry about all the questions.....but how do you know that is happening? What can you do for them?

No problem, I love to talk horses...all day long!

So, with colic there are lots of signs. In this case, I was closing the barn down and sweeping and basically sweeping the dirt/shavings/etc. on the floor into each stall. When I got to his, I opened the door and he was laying down (unusual), he had shavings stuck to him like he had been rolling (typical if colicky), he had paw marks behind him (horses will paw when they are uncomfortable) and his hay was all piled up against the wall (again like he had been rolling and had pushed the shavings/hay up against the wall).

Other signs: Pawing; turning in circles in their stall; no poop in the stall; turning around and looking at their belly; laying down, rolling then getting back up and not 'shaking' the shavings off their coat; turning their lip up like they smell something bad; flipping their 3rd eyelid down (horses have an extra eyelid); loss of appetite.

Any and all of these can combine to indicate colic. After a while when you are around horses you walk past and you just know something is wrong. There are some things horses do (individually) that when something changes, you know it. Then you watch them for a bit and see if they do any of the above. Then you can try and treat them yourself (take for a walk, give banamine (basically makes them feel a bit better...takes the edge of pain off) and if they don't improve then you call the vet. If they are violent in the rolling, etc. you call the vet immediately. You can't mess around with colic.