Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the kind words! ❤️

We looked at the smaller home and I think we could make it work. It's a 3br 2ba singlewide as opposed to the 3br 2ba doublewide we were originally looking at, so it's a bit smaller. Hubby is going to call tomorrow and see if they can tell us what we'd be looking at as far as down payment and monthly payments. We're trying to figure out how to come up with a down payment, and we do have until November 19th to accept the loan and pay the down payment and deposits, we're just hoping for a smaller amount to try to come up with instead of 7K. We're both tired of renting, this neighborhood isn't the best as far as safety and peace of mind, and we want something to show for what we've been working so hard to achieve. I'm staying optimistic about it, and we're going to do our best, but if it doesn't work out I guess there's a pretty good reason.

Fingers crossed for you! You deserve a home of your own!

This.
    I am never, ever gonna get caught up in the batcave! UGH!

It's exploded like crazy, hasn't it?! I never expected that. It seems a lot of people like the privacy of it, for confessions and otherwise. :)

I love the batcave!!

And this.
    Has anyone seen @BZAH10 around or have I just missed her posts?

She hasn't been in here that I've seen...but she liked a status of mine the other day...so she's still around.
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"

We do the same thing in my family. Do you want a coke? OK what kind?

So out at a restaurant..would you just order the specific soda that you want? Or would you still say "coke" and then the name of it? This is so strange to me! :open_mouth:
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    So just to let you all know - according to the mean temperature data I could find I live in the coldest spot of all of us. Except for maybe @ythannah who is probably a bit colder depending where in the area she is.

Average mean temperatures for January (in both C and F):

Thunder Bay: -15 / 5
    Edmonton: -11.7 / 11
    Montreal: - 8.9/16
    Dayton, OH: -2.5/27.5
    New Jersey: -1/30.5 (and the area of Kansas I checked was about the same)
    Portland, OR: 5.2/41
    Dayton, OH: 8/46
    Saudi Arabia: 14/57
    Corpus Christie, TX: 14/57

If I don't know exactly where in your state you live, I just picked a large city that I hoped was close.

ETA: Obviously I didn't do everyone. I just picked a few people at random.

Dayton, OH is on the list twice. Should that be something else?

Also, 30°F sounds about right for January because February is usually our coldest month for some weird reason. It was unusually warm in January this year. On our warmest day it was 74°F or 23.33°C. People were wearing shorts and it was weird.

I'm really behind but yes the second Dayton was somewhere in Tennessee. I can't remember what city I picked.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"
    I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

If someone asked me that I would have thought they were asking if I wanted fat coke, diet coke, coke zero or coke life. Not a completely different fizzy drink all together, lol
  • Glinda1971
    Options

I tried the quiz and got an error at the end so I don't know.

But it's pop - I am Canadian after all. ;)
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You guys have a drive thru Liquor store?! really?! that's crazy!

*continues with the quiz fluffy put up*

Awww it didn't tell me where I was from. :disappointed: I must say you have some crazy things, but I was really surprised to see phrases from England. Like 'Car boot sale" and "lorry" and "rubbernecking"
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Confession: I listened to that song and I remembered him, but I didn't have that ache in my chest.

TAKE THAT YOU DOUCHE CANOE! :triumph:

:drinker:
  • Glinda1971
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

Awww it didn't tell me where I was from. :disappointed: I must say you have some crazy things, but I was really surprised to see phrases from England. Like 'Car boot sale" and "lorry" and "rubbernecking"

I got the error twice - I'll try later from my computer, maybe that will help.

I use rubbernecking - as the action that causes the traffic jam.
  • Glinda1971
    Options
    Weird complaint of the day but I wish they sold more things in 5 packs.

I tend to want the same thing for lunch all week but everything comes in 4's which leaves me scrambling on Friday.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Confession: I listened to that song and I remembered him, but I didn't have that ache in my chest.

TAKE THAT YOU DOUCHE CANOE! :triumph:

:drinker:

Like a boss!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

I tend to want the same thing for lunch all week but everything comes in 4's which leaves me scrambling on Friday.

I wish they sold more things in one packs. Shopping for a singleton can be really hard.
  • Glinda1971
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

I wish they sold more things in one packs. Shopping for a singleton can be really hard.

I know that feeling well! When I was single, not that long ago, everything was too big.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to move you all out to the pool deck at this rate, but it's also a great place for a dinner party ;)

I'm excited to go wine shopping, it's the best part of all dinner parties.

There's a pool too???!!! :lol:

I'll bring my swimsuit!

Both oh your dessert options that you're thinking of @peleroja sound awesome.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    levan11 wrote: »
    I'm considering quitting my job because the boss's son in law that just started working here got a bigger annual bonus than me. This wouldn't be such a big deal if a) the son in law wasn't such a pretentious jerkwad and b) the bonus wasn't for the previous year in which HE DID NOT EVEN WORK HERE. I know I should just set my pride aside and be happy with what I did get but man is that hard to do.

That sucks large! I would just start quietly looking for something else - don't quit until you have something else.

^^this!

+1. That's crap!

We'll give him a big kick this jerkwad sign!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    If we're still doing confessions, here's mine for the day, then I should REALLY try and get some work done.

I came to work with my pants unzipped today. I didn't realize this until AFTER I got to my office and called Mr. Mo and looked down to see that my barn door had been left open. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, or not, but I'm sure glad I did before the day went on any further.

Must have been a day for this I came in today with my shirt on backwards lol

That made me laugh out loud. Another confession. I've put my undies on inside out on more than one occasion without noticing it all day.

As far as an American expression for the zipper being down, I think there are lots. Your barn door's open, your fly's open, and my mind has gone blank for others. :|

Yesterday I must've still been half asleep while I was getting dressed & noticed I had put my underwear on backwards. LOL! Luckily I noticed it right away & fixed it.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    I prefer ice cream to cake by FAR. At birthday parties as a kid I sometimes decided to not take cake and just eat ice cream. Especially those gross cakes with the generic icing you can get in grocery stores. Don't know what the type of icing is called... but while kids were screaming for the piece in the center with the most blue frilly icing on it, I was like ''Just give me the end piece." Now one time I had a cake that switched out icing for some delicious strawberry filling and I was all for seconds. :tongue:

This is me, except the strawberry filling part, since I generally hate fruit mixed into any kind of dessert. Most grocery store cakes and even standard bakery cakes taste yucky to me, especially that really weird styrofoam textured icing that they use. It's very, very rare that I find a cake that I actually WANT to eat--there's only ONE bakery in Oman that I enjoy cake from. One. In the whole country. :p (At least it's the only one that I know of, and I've tasted quite a lot.)
    Yes! Styrofoamy is right. I can really love a good home baked cake, though. My sister and I once made a delicious black cherry chocolate cake. You probably wouldn't like it because of the fruit, but maaaan it was delicious. I also love making homemade carrot cakes with CREAM CHEESE icing.

Exactly! When I first met my in-laws, they bought a cake that was supposedly red velvet from a bakery that has a good reputation here in Saudi Arabia. It was terrible--it tasted just like a grocery store cake, stale and styrofoamy. I forced it down out of politeness. :s

The cake bakery that I enjoy makes THE BEST dense, fresh, DELICIOUS cakes with real buttercream icing, cream cheese frosting, chocolate ganache, etc. They aren't cheap, but they're worth every penny. I go there every time I visit Oman. I haven't found anything like it in Saudi Arabia. :-/

Confession: I make buttercream and eat it without cake. Sometimes I mix in blueberries or strawberries.

At least you make the buttercream.

Your post just reminded me that there is some leftover pre-made frosting in my fridge and I fully intend to eat it, with a spoon, over the next few days... willful cakelessness. Nor am I going to mix in fruit and up the nutritional quotient.

I love frosting. I happily eat it without cake. Sometimes I eat it off the cake and throw the cake away. :)

Hahaha I do too Patricia!! I heart icing so much!

When I would stay at my grandma's I would always look in her fridge to see if she had any icing & then I would take a spoon & eat some.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    If we're still doing confessions, here's mine for the day, then I should REALLY try and get some work done.

I came to work with my pants unzipped today. I didn't realize this until AFTER I got to my office and called Mr. Mo and looked down to see that my barn door had been left open. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, or not, but I'm sure glad I did before the day went on any further.
    Hahah! Oops!
    I used to work in an engineering office - 95% male. 42.3% of them would walk around unzipped most of the time, and I'd have to try not to notice.
    Is it just a British thing to say "You've got egg on your chin" to subtly alert someone that their fly is unzipped? Is there an American equivalent?

The one I know of is "XYZ!", which stands for Xamine Your Zipper--or you can say "XYZ, PDQ!" which means, "Xamine Your Zipper... Pretty Darn Quick!"

@Susieq_1994 that is pure genius right there!
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options

I call it soda.
    I just took the quiz and got Worcester MA, Boston MA, and Honolulu HI. Worcester and Boston make sense because I grew up in NH and just moved to ME 3 years ago...both states are right near MA. No idea about Honolulu though!

We are pop people in the inland northwest. I've done that quiz before, and it's super fun. The first time I took it, I confused it because I grew up in the northwest and but lived in the midwest, south, and southwest, so I learned words for things that I didn't have words for growing up (e.g. access roads and parking strips) and didn't pay attention to that when answering questions. When I did it again trying to just remember what I used to call things, it pegged me perfectly (gave me Spokane, WA; Seattle, WA; and Portland, OR - I grew up in Spokane).
    I should do that, actually. I used to call fireflies lightning bugs, but I started calling them fireflies at some point. I wonder if it'll identify me as more southern if I use lightning bugs. I have also heard both crawdads/crawfish... and now I use car-mel and care-uh-mel... I used to just say car-mel and apparently that's more northern???? Didn't know. Weird I started using the second pronunciation when I moved to Canada.

Try it!
    The crawdad question was hard because I have lived in places where crawdad, crawfish and crayfish were used. If I wasn't thinking about it and you asked me what it was, I would now say crawfish, but when thinking about it, I knew that crawdad was what they were called when I was growing up. Apparently the use of potato bug (which now I would probably call a roly-poly if not prompted) and kitty-corner is what pegged me as a northwesterner.
    I did it again and got three cities in California once more! Huh. The roly-poly one had me stumped... because growing up I used to call them doodlebugs, but I have also heard roly-poly. Since I haven't seen them since I was a child I was confused as to what terminology I would use now. :lol: I forgot all about doodlebugs!!!

You're a Californian at heart! Your refusal to "y'all" is probably what's keeping you from being marked as a Southerner. I'm amazed you never used that. That became part of my vocabulary when I lived in Texas, despite my best efforts to keep it out and I was only there for two years!

Edit: typo
    I always felt weird about saying it. Same with saying "ma'am" and "sir." I would go over to friends' houses and they'd get in SO much trouble for not saying these to their parents. Calling my mom ma'am would be SO weird.

One time I was in school and a teacher asked me a question. I replied "yes." She stared at me and said "yes what???" I was just confused until I finally realized she wanted me to say ma'am. I didn't mean any disrespect... just feels weird on my tongue. Maybe my dad's northern blood got into me (and for someone born in Texas my mom sounds pretty northern herself :lol:)

That is weird. I have never said ma'am or sir to my parents...or a teacher...or maybe even anyone. That's just weird to say it to your own parents though, I think.
    Some people told me they went up north and accidentally offended a few folks by calling them ma'am and sir. I think my mom would have hated it if I called her these. Something about our relationship felt more buddy buddy than my friends' relationships with their parents, though. Didn't have very strict parents.

I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

If someone asked me that I would have thought they were asking if I wanted fat coke, diet coke, coke zero or coke life. Not a completely different fizzy drink all together, lol
    Exactly, me too! :lol: I've never heard someone say "fat coke" either (I call it regular), but I love that.

To be honest I didn't know about drive thru liquor stores... but now that I know they exist, I am sure they exist in my home state and I just never noticed.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options

I am from Pennsylvania & got Boston & Worchester. I've never lived in Massachusetts & once had a customer ask if I was from Boston. I don't think I sound like anyone from Boston.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I bought coffee today after not having it since being in Punta Cana. Drank two big cups of it and now I'm wide awake despite it being past 1 AM. It was delicious goodness in a mug, but I kind of want to sleep now.

Apparently the use of the word sneakers isolated me to Yonkers, Newark and New York... Guess since I have lived most of my life in that area, except for 15 years between WI and IL, I would say that makes sense!
    On the shoe question I initially put "sneakers" and noticed that one of the options was tennis shoes right after I clicked NEXT. I think that's why it put me as sounding like I'm from Boston... I definitely say tennis shoes way more than sneakers.

I say it like "tenna shoes," even. I suppose that's more southern :tongue:

You HAVE to be from Detroit :P We say Tenna shoes here...and pop. Coke is a BRAND not a drink.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

Hahah! Oops!
    I used to work in an engineering office - 95% male. 42.3% of them would walk around unzipped most of the time, and I'd have to try not to notice.
    Is it just a British thing to say "You've got egg on your chin" to subtly alert someone that their fly is unzipped? Is there an American equivalent?

The one I know of is "XYZ!", which stands for Xamine Your Zipper--or you can say "XYZ, PDQ!" which means, "Xamine Your Zipper... Pretty Darn Quick!"
    I never heard of the PDQ, but my mom would embarrass me really bad when I was younger by saying "XYZ!!" really loudly in public :lol: She was with me the first time I met my boyfriend and she said it when we were in an elevator together. My face got really hot :lol:
    I bought coffee today after not having it since being in Punta Cana. Drank two big cups of it and now I'm wide awake despite it being past 1 AM. It was delicious goodness in a mug, but I kind of want to sleep now.

Apparently the use of the word sneakers isolated me to Yonkers, Newark and New York... Guess since I have lived most of my life in that area, except for 15 years between WI and IL, I would say that makes sense!
    On the shoe question I initially put "sneakers" and noticed that one of the options was tennis shoes right after I clicked NEXT. I think that's why it put me as sounding like I'm from Boston... I definitely say tennis shoes way more than sneakers.

I say it like "tenna shoes," even. I suppose that's more southern :tongue:

You HAVE to be from Detroit :P We say Tenna shoes here...and pop. Coke is a BRAND not a drink.
    Didn't know that! Every single time I've taken the quiz it said Detroit was the city the least similar to the way I speak. Maybe if the quiz had an option for ''tenna shoes" :tongue: