Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Well, we talked to the guy from Oakwood today. We did get approved by the bank, but for the house we wanted we'll have to come up with nearly 7K down and the payments will be close to 700/month before the lot rent we'll have to pay too. They did say we could go to something a bit smaller and cheaper but no matter what we choose we're going to have to have a large down payment. We're not exactly sure what we're doing from here, we'd love to buy something and stop renting, and we'd LOVE to get out of this bad area we're in, but I'm not sure we'll be able to come up with that much money by November 19th, which is when the "conditional" offer runs out.

I will be praying for this to work out for the best for your family.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    levan11 wrote: »
    levan11 wrote: »
    I'm considering quitting my job because the boss's son in law that just started working here got a bigger annual bonus than me. This wouldn't be such a big deal if a) the son in law wasn't such a pretentious jerkwad and b) the bonus wasn't for the previous year in which HE DID NOT EVEN WORK HERE. I know I should just set my pride aside and be happy with what I did get but man is that hard to do.

Oh, that STINKS like a dairy barn in the hot August sun!!!!

This made me laugh out loud! Thanks for all of your responses. I guess I can always start looking for a fast food job as the minimum wage for fast food workers just got increased to $15 in New York. I get that people need a living wage but to me this is just ridiculous. That was more than I made when I first started working a couple years ago with a masters degree. Can you tell I feel slighted in all sorts of ways today?! Sorry to be such a downer!

I am also one who envy's the heavy lifters. I love the results that are possible but honestly don't think I would enjoy it very much. I've recently joined a bootcamp class where my muscles are always super sore afterwards so maybe I've found a happy medium. Crossing my fingers I see results soon!

In a place like New York City, how do you live on a wage less than that?
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Still behind, but a few observations and questions from page 1295:
    @lilaclovebird - Love the new profile pic!
    @kellyjellybellyjelly - So glad you finally have a profile pic! Love it!
    @Italian_Buju - You've mentioned your daughter's sister before. Just wondering what going on with her pregnancy?
    @orangesmartie - Not sure if you're back yet, but I miss you!
    @Susieq_1994 - I didn't see you mention it. Did the in-laws like the peanut butter pie?
    I'm sure there will be more soon!

I messaged with @orangesmartie this am and she gave me permission to tell all you guys here she is doing OK. She is trying to work things out with the SOs so hopefully she will be in a good place soon to visit us again.

<3 I have been thinking about her!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    Do any of the wonderful Canadians on here who enjoy mystery/detective novels read Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? She's a Canadian author whose novels are set in Canada. Anyhow, I love them. I'm very excited that her newest book in the series will be released on my birthday next month!!

Confession - I'm worried that setting a goal weight will mean that I'll rest on my laurels once I get there, setting me up for gaining it back. I need to change my mind set away from having an "end goal" because then the process is over....and I tend to sprint to the finish, if that makes sense. Like go all out to get to that goal weight, especially now that it's within reach, and then have a let down once I'm there. @pofoster21 How did you handle this? Maybe if I keep setting goals for myself re: fitness challenges or hikes or bike rides, that'll keep me focused on continually improving overall (instead of being weight-focused). Anyone else have tips?

I set a goal of finishing a 5k in under 45 minutes. I have done it and discovered I hate running, but I didn't quit and still run a couple of charity races a year. LOL! so I joined a gym and took some classes and discovered that I enjoy yoga, the Barre is still a killer at creating great calves, and I enjoy lifting with my husband. My new goals are to be able to do crow pose and to bench, deadlift and squat my bodyweight. Good luck!

I also have goals to deadlift, bench, and squat my bodyweight! I'm hoping to accomplish this by the end of the year. My boyfriend says I should hit those goals well before the end of the year...here's hoping!

I can deadlift and squat my body weight...but bench?!? Man, it's gonna take me a loooong time to get there. That or I need to lose a lot of weight. LOL

Hehehe, that was my thought too. I'm at body weight now for deadlift (will be above on Thursday) and close to on squat (lifted 105 today, I weight 135). My bench this morning was 70, and I think I'm going to be hanging out at 75 for a couple of weeks based on how I barely made 70 today. My overhead press is 60, and I think I'm going to be there for a long time, too. These are 5x5 weights though (you're a fellow SL 5X5-er, right?), so maybe we could do a body weight max on bench?

@quiksylver296 and @WestCoastJo82 I wish I could work out with you ladies. I want so badly to start lifting heavy but I'm so scared I'll hurt myself. I also wish I could get my husband to work out with me, but he has zero interest in that.

Mo I thought you did do heavy lifting?

Nope. I do a HIIT workout 3 times a week. Weights are incorporated, but definitely not heavy ones. Does it LOOK like I do heavy lifting, because if so, then YAY!

Who my gosh it does! It totally does!

Thanks! I can't imagine how buff I'd be if I DID start lifting heavy.

Can you tell us more about the HIIT workouts??

Sure!

High Intensity Interval Training.

It's 4 stations with a set of 4 exercises at each station with weights and cardio mixed in. For the full workout, you do the full rotation 3 times. Each exercise is 30 seconds with a 9 second rest between exercises and a 30 second rest between stations. The whole workout from start to finish is supposed to take 42 minutes. I usually make sure to stretch really well afterwards, so in total, I think it's around 45-50 minutes. When I'm on my game, I go Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. If I'm REALLY on my game, I do the treadmill during lunch for 35 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday. If I'm REALLY REALLY on my game, I hit the Y on Saturdays and do random lifting/cardio.

If you want specific exercises, let me know and I'll PM you. :smiley:

My friend Amy teaches HIIT, which I can barely keep up with, but her class is a full hour with 45sec per exercise, 15sec rest, one minute between stations. The high impact is hard on my knee so I don't go often.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.
    I would usually just refer to soda as a coke when talking about soda in general. Why? Just because everyone else did. I don't really drink regular soda anymore so I don't really have the problem anymore. :laugh:

I took the quiz, and I hadn't realized feeder road was such a local thing until someone on the Houston Subreddit made a post asking about colloquialisms this year.

• Italian_Buju
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I have a coworker who can be quite snotty and apparently gets offended by smells. And I get it to a point, I also hate strong perfumes and the like. But she complained to me the other day about how "rude" it is that someone made popcorn. Not liking a smell is one thing. Saying someone is rude because of a food seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I brought popcorn for a snack today :naughty:

Who hates the smell of popcorn??!!!

That's what I was wondering!
    peleroja wrote: »
    I have a coworker who can be quite snotty and apparently gets offended by smells. And I get it to a point, I also hate strong perfumes and the like. But she complained to me the other day about how "rude" it is that someone made popcorn. Not liking a smell is one thing. Saying someone is rude because of a food seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I brought popcorn for a snack today :naughty:

She would hate my office, we have one of those theatre-style poppers that our social committee uses once every couple months for charity fundraisers and stuff. We pop with coconut oil and that movie-theatre seasoning and It. Smells. Incredible.

Oooh, I would love that.

It's the easiest way to get people to donate to anything, by giving them popcorn in exchange for it. The lure of popcorn is strong in this office (well, food generally, but in what office isn't it?)

Confession: I think popcorn smells way better than it tastes. Like, I'll have a handful now and then but I can't remember the last time I had a bag of it for myself or actually purchased any.

I love to eat popcorn too, but you're right, sometimes the smell is better. I wonder if they make a popcorn scented candle...

I LOVE popcorn. But I rarely eat it anymore. Every time I do my weight is up the next day, even though I don't put butter or salt on it.

I live off popcorn at work. Specifically, CVS house brand called Gold Emblem, I think. It's soooo good and low cal, for popcorn. No weighing issues here.

Popcorn for the win. I eat a big bowl every night!!

I love LOVE L-O-V-E popcorn! I can't handle that microwave stuff though, I make hot air popped with real salted butter. Or popcorn from the movie theatre, I said this early in the thread, but I have been known to go there, buy a bag of popcorn and then come home and eat it.....

I make the air popped too. I use either margarine or baking spray depending on how many calories I have left and then use one of the many many popcorn seasonings I own. Have also tried taco seasoning on it which is also yummy.

Now for a confession. Hope I don't get kicked out of the group but I could take or leave ice cream or cookies for that matter and.....I have never eaten one of those protein bars you guys are always raving about.

Runs away and hides

I am a total food snob

I only like very high quality ice cream, I basically only eat Häagen-Dazs. Same with popcorn, it HAS to be real butter! For cookies, I don't eat like Christie cookies or anything like that, only bakery type ones or homemade. I -have- eaten boxed cookies in a pinch but I would never CHOOSE to eat that.

Today, I bought two Quest Bars (almost $4 each!). One chocolate peanut butter, and one chocolate chip cookie dough.....these better be good guys!!!

I also bought a box of 100 Stevia packets ($8!!!), and I tried to make a lemonade, as I have heard that is good, and it was NASTY! I wonder what I can make with it that will taste good......

Both those things are cuz of this thread, lol.

Well I am almost caught up here, will have to catch up in the batcave tomorrow, too tired tonight.....I am gonna have some popcorn and watch Devious Maids from last night. I actually got lucky and get a second night at home alone tomorrow (well some of it), cuz my daughter and her boyfriend are going out for dinner and a movie, so tomorrow I should get more time online since I am only going to come home after work.....

SO glad I got to swim today, it was wonderful.....except for the three charlie horses I got.....ugh. That is why I have to go for those tests on my legs....I keep getting really bad, really long charlie horses in my calves....like to the point where they will be sore for days afterwards, they are the most intense ones I have ever had in my life, and getting more and more frequent. I hope they can figure this out cuz the pain is terrible.....

On an awkward note.....I threw my bathing suit on and went the testing place (had shorts and a shirt over it of course), because I was heading right over to the pool afterwards. The lady says "I need you to take off everything except your bra and underwear."

Great, except I am wearing a one piece bathing suit!

I had to lay naked for the 45 minute test, lol. She put some paper over me,, but it just ripped and moved....

:expressionless:

@Italian_Buju

I blame MFP for introducing me to Quest, Talenti gelato, MaraNatha Almond Butter, & Jeni's ice cream. I hope you enjoyed the flavors you bought!

Did you think the Stevia was bitter? When I first tried Stevia I thought it had a bizarre taste. I sometimes use it in smoothies or if I want to make my yogurt sweeter.

Ugh, I hate charlie horses! Are you low on potassium?

Doc says my potassium is good. I called and left a message at her office today cuz I decided I want another appointment before the end of August. If they do find it is the blood flow thing, we need a plan of action, and if it is not, I need something else done because it is killing me!

I will post about the bars once I try them!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    They might, but it will cost a lot, so they're not sure whether it's worth it. It's two years now, but the town is still nowhere near back to normal. I wouldn't buy or build there, to be honest.

My best friend works at the high school there and there's been a lot of depression, divorce, even suicide related to people having such a hard time. You see disasters on the news and they come and go - it's easy to forget that it keeps on going for a long time afterwards for the people affected.

So true. Sadly I hadn't really thought about this one at all until Susie shared her photos. Not to mention all the foreign disasters that I'm sure people are still struggling to get through.

Now I feel guilty and like I should help in some way. Who do I give my money to?

This is such a hard question for me, as well. When we donate for zakaat (obligatory yearly charity in Islam. You don't have to pay it if you're poor, only if you have money to spare) every year, I feel sad that we can't get money to the Muslims around the world who REALLY need it and aren't getting any of it due to there not being an organization to provide aid to them. This includes the Syrian refugees, the Palestinian refugees, the Rohingya Muslims, and others. It's hard to watch and read about what they're going through and not be able to help in any way.

I generally donate to Samaritan's Purse. They will use general donations where needed most or you can donate to a specific disaster site like the Nepal earthquakes a few weeks ago.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda and get teased ALL THE TIME about it.....
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »

As soon as I walked in one of my co-workers told me lol. Good thing she is my person and if anyone gets that reference we can be best friends, Sorry for stealing your line @MoHousdon ;)

LOL - I get that reference. I've watched Grey's since the beginning... even though it's jumped the shark a few times.

I thought it was Grey's, but I cannot watch that show. Medicine doesn't actually work that way and it makes me crazy.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Well, we talked to the guy from Oakwood today. We did get approved by the bank, but for the house we wanted we'll have to come up with nearly 7K down and the payments will be close to 700/month before the lot rent we'll have to pay too. They did say we could go to something a bit smaller and cheaper but no matter what we choose we're going to have to have a large down payment. We're not exactly sure what we're doing from here, we'd love to buy something and stop renting, and we'd LOVE to get out of this bad area we're in, but I'm not sure we'll be able to come up with that much money by November 19th, which is when the "conditional" offer runs out.
    Geez, I wish you guys the best.

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"
    I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

• raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words! ❤️

We looked at the smaller home and I think we could make it work. It's a 3br 2ba singlewide as opposed to the 3br 2ba doublewide we were originally looking at, so it's a bit smaller. Hubby is going to call tomorrow and see if they can tell us what we'd be looking at as far as down payment and monthly payments. We're trying to figure out how to come up with a down payment, and we do have until November 19th to accept the loan and pay the down payment and deposits, we're just hoping for a smaller amount to try to come up with instead of 7K. We're both tired of renting, this neighborhood isn't the best as far as safety and peace of mind, and we want something to show for what we've been working so hard to achieve. I'm staying optimistic about it, and we're going to do our best, but if it doesn't work out I guess there's a pretty good reason.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    Just got home from leg day. Pretty sure I won't be able to walk tomorrow. But I squatted 75 and deadlifted 85!! Both of those are over half my body weight! Yay!

Way to go! with my knee not wanting to stay together, I didn't deadlift at all yesterday. :(
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

I'm in the South...we call everything coke!

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    edited July 2015
    Options

Upper East Tennessee/extreme Southwest Virginia/extreme Southeast Kentucky/NC Highlands. Otherwise known as rural southern Appalachia.
    My Aunt Vivian told me that Coke was the only soda pop she could order for her restaurant for years. No one else's delivery trucks could get in here. The second one she could get was A&W root beer. President Eisenhower's interstate system did my home region a lot of good. When Coke is the only soda pop you can get, all soda pop is Coke.

ETA: I tried to take all y'all's quiz and it locked up my browser. And also that extreme Southwest West Virginia also calls every soda pop Coke.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I'm in the South...we call everything coke!
    I'm from the middle of South Carolina and I've never heard anyone call it coke :neutral: Maybe it was just a coincidence that all my friends said soda? Or I wasn't paying close enough attention? :lol:

Upper East Tennessee/extreme Southwest Virginia/extreme Southeast Kentucky/NC Highlands. Otherwise known as rural southern Appalachia.
    My Aunt Vivian told me that Coke was the only soda pop she could order for her restaurant for years. No one else's delivery trucks could get in here. The second one she could get was A&W root beer. President Eisenhower's interstate system did my home region a lot of good. When Coke is the only soda pop you can get, all soda pop is Coke.
    That's actually extremely interesting to me. Also, I LOVE A&W root beer.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options

LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Okay confession- ate alright today and thought I was done. Got hungry again and went over my calories, stayed under maintenance at least but I've seriously been struggling since the beginning of July and I don't know why! :(:/

Hang in there chickie. You will get your MOJO back!
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options

We do the same thing in my family. Do you want a coke? OK what kind?
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Still behind, but a few observations and questions from page 1295:
    @lilaclovebird - Love the new profile pic!
    @kellyjellybellyjelly - So glad you finally have a profile pic! Love it!
    @Italian_Buju - You've mentioned your daughter's sister before. Just wondering what going on with her pregnancy?
    @orangesmartie - Not sure if you're back yet, but I miss you!
    @Susieq_1994 - I didn't see you mention it. Did the in-laws like the peanut butter pie?
    I'm sure there will be more soon!

I don't know and probably never will. :) They're the kind of people who will assure me that it was fantastic even if they thought it was so nasty that they tossed it straight into the dump--too polite for their own good. I'm not really a fan of that, to be honest, because I like to know honestly where I stand with people. :/

Are they the kind who would ask you to make it again if they did like it? because that would be the ultimate compliment...

I'm not too sure, they've never requested anything that I made for them to be made again, and I don't know if they liked that stuff, either! So I'll just have to wallow in the mystery of it all... ;)